PDA

View Full Version : Mourning PSO Dreamcast... Moving on to PSO GC?

Gladius
Sep 12, 2002, 01:33 AM
Wow, I'm actually here again. Haven't been to this message board since probably the launch of Version 2. And how do I get back? Looking up info on Hayabusa, the professional wrestler, on Google. This internet is funny, huh? Honestly can't believe I remembered my password since I never changed it from the ridiculously strange generic password that you are initially given.

Anyways, just reading all these posts has made me nostalgic for Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast. I really loved that game, but the death of the Dreamcast itself rattled me. I was one of those people who said, 'If Dreamcast goes down, I go with it'. And for the most part I have. I've yet to even consider getting another system (especially not one from Sony or Microsoft), that is until now.

Reading all these posts has made me particularly nostalgic for some Phantasy Star Online and I am just achin' to get back into the swing of things, only at the moment I can't. I have given up on my old ISP and gone cable, only I do not have the BBA for Dreamcast (and don't think it's worth it for just one game).

So now, I find myself, much to my personal chagrin, considering the purchase of a (dare I say it?) Nintendo GameCube. Only, at the moment I know nothing about the GameCube or exactly what version(s) of Phantasy Star Online are coming, so I have one question:

Do you personally think the 'new' version of PSO will be worth sacrificing my principles? (I don't know exactly what type of principle loyalty to the Dreamcast is, but I'm pretty sure it's a principle of some kind...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gladius on 2002-09-11 23:41 ]</font>

Pepsi-Man
Sep 12, 2002, 01:44 AM
Pretty much all of these questions can be answered by spending 5 min in the forums looking around or by reading a single article on IGN.

Number One: What version of PSO is coming to GameCube? Is it the same as Version 2, or is it going to be different? If so, how? (You don't have to get too specific, just hit the major, if there are any, differences.)
PSO episodes 1 and 2. Episode 1 is the original PSO, Episode 2 is the next chapter in the PSO saga full of new enemies and items (more or less a whole new game). This game also includes 4 player offline for the isp impared.

Number Two: Does the GameCube have a broadband adapter, or will it by the time PSO comes out?
Yes it does, and no it will not be. (for the JP version at least).

Number Three: Will you have to pay an extra fee to use the GC PSO servers like you did for Ver. 2?
in japan yes (30day free trial), US unconfirmed.

Number Four: Most important of all, seeing as how you alredy know my personal feeling about getting a new system, do you personally think the 'new' version of PSO will be worth sacrificing my principles? (I don't know exactly what type of principle loyalty to the Dreamcast is, but I'm pretty sure it's a principle of some kind...) Honestly "brand loyalty" (aka fanboyism) is for morons. If you like PSO just get the damn gamecube. Besides, buying a new system is the only way to support sega.

P.S. next time spend a few min looking up some of this stuff, you would be amazed what you can find.

DROID8
Sep 12, 2002, 02:39 AM
I am a hard-core SEGA fan and proud of it.
I stuck with the saturn until the very end, and I did the same with the Dreamcast, beacuse I love the games SEGA creates.
I allready have a PS2 (for dvd's mostly) and a GameCube, because Nintendo knows how to make great games and I can't wait to play PSO on my Cube
I am also going to get an Xbox for games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, NOT because the Xbox is the most powerfull machine, but a lot of good SEGA games are going to be released on it.

RavenTW
Sep 12, 2002, 08:01 AM
*points to first sticky in the General forum*

All known information, as well as comments, are in that thread.

Agent_Reav
Sep 12, 2002, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't suggest buying a Gamecube just for one game... I own a PS2, XBOX and Gamecube and am happy with all of them but then again I am a collector so it's a given... I bought a GC cause I liked the box art http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif!!! The console with the highest amount of memorable games is PS2 but Gamecube has alot of cool games too and Xbox is the only way to go if u want true onling gaming goodness (built in HDD and BBA). Also, Xbox is getting PSO Ep 1 and 2 AS WELL AS a completely original PSO title later on (Question is can you wait?)... The choice is yours... analyze each system and buy the one that suits your play style the most.

WraithAkaMrak
Sep 12, 2002, 05:15 PM
On 2002-09-12 11:45, Agent_Reav wrote:
I wouldn't suggest buying a Gamecube just for one game... I own a PS2, XBOX and Gamecube and am happy with all of them but then again I am a collector so it's a given... I bought a GC cause I liked the box art http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif!!! The console with the highest amount of memorable games is PS2 but Gamecube has alot of cool games too and Xbox is the only way to go if u want true onling gaming goodness (built in HDD and BBA). Also, Xbox is getting PSO Ep 1 and 2 AS WELL AS a completely original PSO title later on (Question is can you wait?)... The choice is yours... analyze each system and buy the one that suits your play style the most.Well, the facts about the Xbox version (and possible sequel) are still up in the air. Nothing has really been confirmed. Not that I don't want to see it on the 'box, there just isn't a lot of real info yet. Hopefully they tell us sooner than later.

In my opinion, PSO Ep I & II alone is worth buying a GC for. To me, it's that good of a game. I want an Xbox for other games. I need a GC for PSO. (Unless they show us something about the Xbox version that changes my mind.)

Darrin
Sep 12, 2002, 07:37 PM
Dreamcast Sucks. I don't know why you stick with it.

merlin
Sep 12, 2002, 07:59 PM
I still have several customers that come in here that still play PSO on DC. I guess that there's nothing wrong with it, but to me it's like flogging the proverbial dead horse. There's nothing to be excited about anymore. The thrill is long gone.

It might be that I've been "tuned" towards the Cube and XboX versions for a long time now. I dropped the DC version like a hot potato and couldn't be bothered with it anymore once I heard about the new games.

Like I said, nothing wrong with playing it.....but there are people out there that act like it's a shocker that the servers are slowly closing it down. How many people are in a lobby these days? Three?

DROID8
Sep 13, 2002, 03:29 AM
Check http://www.dcemulation.com and you will see a good reason why you shouldn't throw you Dreamcast away. There are so many other console's with your Dreamcast and various programs. It's fun, you should try it.

I still play PSO on the DC because I enjoy playing with my friends, and I am a collector to, I have a lot of other console's, including a GameGear and a SEGA Nomad (portable Genesis).

In the end it doesn't matter what game you play an wich console. What matters is that YOU have fun!

DROID8
Sep 13, 2002, 03:34 AM
Oops, what I meant to say was "There are so many other console's you can emulate on your Dreamcast and various programs."

Mazarin
Sep 13, 2002, 03:58 AM
You'll never know.

I bought PS2 for one game. I got bored within 2 months, and sold it. So in that case, it was a mistake.

I bought XBox for one game. I couldn't be happier.

I'm prolly going to get GCN for one game, PSO. I was going to get it earlier for Bloody Roar, WMX8, and Super Monkey Ball, but haven't had a real drive to purchase it. My hope is the Xbox Ver is the same, and compatable, but luck would have it not be so simple.

But if that isn't the case, GCN, here I come.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 13, 2002, 06:13 PM
On 2002-09-11 23:33, Gladius wrote:
Wow, I'm actually here again. Haven't been to this message board since probably the launch of Version 2. And how do I get back? Looking up info on Hayabusa, the professional wrestler, on Google. This internet is funny, huh?

You found me!
Well you sorta found what you were looking for in some ways.

A lot of talk about the new versions since you have been gone. Release dates, new info, new info, new info, and more new info.
GC PSO is already in the hands of some gamers on these boards so keep watch this month for spoilers and general information. Try to avoid the spoilers. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

shinokou
Sep 14, 2002, 07:26 PM
I am depressed... I've been thinking back to the good old days of the Dreamcast latley, and reading this post makes me even more sad... You do have to move on if you want to continue gaming... but it is simply not the same as it once was.

The dreamcast was my best period of gaming, and PSO was a big part of that. Things arent the same. They never will be.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 17, 2002, 11:37 PM
i hear a new shining force is in the works

Dellimia
Sep 20, 2002, 07:38 PM
On 2002-09-14 17:26, shinokou wrote:
I am depressed... I've been thinking back to the good old days of the Dreamcast latley, and reading this post makes me even more sad... You do have to move on if you want to continue gaming... but it is simply not the same as it once was.

The dreamcast was my best period of gaming, and PSO was a big part of that. Things arent the same. They never will be.

this is exactly how I feel. I'm going back to ver1 next month, with only one thing on my mind. Level 100. Then I will be done. GC is mine soon, and so will those games. Thankfully, I can use my broadband for this game. Sega pissed me off when they didn't do this with Ver1.