PDA

View Full Version : ”Scientific” Look at Santa

Kento
Dec 6, 2005, 02:27 PM
Here's a ”Scientific” look at Santa. A friend of mine wrote this and I felt like everyone should read it for fun http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Hopefully no one will be offended http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-----
For the past decade, this amusing take on Santa’s annual journey has encouraged young people to rethink yuletide myth and reality:
It’s heart warming to know that millions of people around the world believe in Santa. Sure, most are less than four feet tall, but still it’s amazing that so many believe in the big guy in the red suit. Consider the following…
Around the globe, today, live approximately 2 billion children (per sons under 18). Santa doesn’t visit all of them, of course. Subtracting the number of Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children reduces Santa’s Christmas Eve workload to 15 percent of the total, or 378 million children (according to the Population Reference Bureau). At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, and presuming that there is at least one good child in each home, Santa must visit 108 million homes.
Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 visits per second. That means that at each household with a good child, Santa has around 1/1000th of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat any snacks left for him, get back up the chimney, jump into the sleigh, and get on to the next house.
For the purposes of our calculations, we will assume that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false). We’re talking about a trip of 0.78 miles per household; a total trip of 75.5 million miles, not counting bathroom stops or breaks. To cover that ground in 31 hours, Santa’s sleigh moves at 650 miles per second – 3000 times the speed of sound. By comparison, the Ulysses space probe, one of the fastest vehicles known to man, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second, and a conventional reindeer can run (at best) 15 miles per hour.
The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized Lego set (two pounds), the sleigh must carry over 500 000 tons, not counting Santa himself. On land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. In air, even granting that the “flying” reindeer could pull 10 times the normal amount, the job can’t be done with a mere eight or nine of them. Santa would need 360,000 of them.
This increases the payload, not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons, or roughly seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch).
Six hundred thousand tons travelling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance. This would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a spacecraft re-entering the earth’s atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would absorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second each. In short, they would burst into flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team would be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second, or right about the time Santa reached his fifth house on the trip. Not that it matters since Santa, as a result of accelerating from a dead stop to 650 miles per second in .001 seconds, would be subjected to centrifugal forces of 17,500 g’s. A 250-pound Santa would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force, instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo.
----

Feel free to comment, I just find it hilarious http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ABDUR101
Dec 6, 2005, 05:21 PM
Your friend did'nt write this, I remember the exact same thing being shared with me by a best friend about 8-10 years ago on a bus-ride home from school.

Humorous, never the less.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2005-12-06 14:23 ]</font>

goku4ever
Dec 6, 2005, 06:10 PM
yea thats true if you dont account for one thing..magic! everyone knows santa uses magic, sheesh.

EphekZ
Dec 6, 2005, 07:18 PM
I forgot what it was called but it was a disney movie....santa could freeze time!

Wyndham
Dec 6, 2005, 11:05 PM
I really like that.
it's pretty good, but i only wish it were true.
make it easier for poor kids to get things they need, like winter coats.

ABDUR101
Dec 6, 2005, 11:47 PM
On 2005-12-06 15:10, goku4ever wrote:
yea thats true if you dont account for one thing..magic! everyone knows santa uses magic, sheesh.

Ah, but is it 'magic' or 'magick'?

The truth is, Santa is actually an organization...of ninjas...ninjas who stalk everyone.

Come on, in and out, blink of an eye, no sound with all those presents? They know if you've been bad or good, when you're sleeping and when you're awake?

goku4ever
Dec 7, 2005, 03:13 AM
whats magick?

Sinue_v2
Dec 7, 2005, 05:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/santa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/santaclaus.jpg

Looks like the stress of the holidays finally got to him...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2005-12-07 02:36 ]</font>

Rion772
Dec 7, 2005, 05:58 AM
Except for 1 thing...santa has WHITE eyebrows!

LoveAndLunacy
Dec 7, 2005, 07:47 AM
That is really impressive the way that someone has worked that out, but magic can solve all problems apparently, the ninja theory i believe is now the case, i have a new christmas belief, instead of people staying up for santa i think the nijas have infiltrated their houses knocked them out with extreme carefulness so as not to alert them, then made the quick present drop.
Cecil liceC

goku4ever
Dec 7, 2005, 09:24 AM
apparently when Santa was first made up he wore a green outfit,but then coca cola used it in their advertisements and changed it to red.

Sinue_v2
Dec 7, 2005, 10:53 AM
Santa wasn't "made up" though... He was a real person at one point in time, and yes - he did go door to door leaving presents for good children. I remember something about kids leaving out their wooden shoes, and St. Nickolas would fill them with fruits and sweets - which is where we get the custom of stockings stuffed with candy from.

I think it was Norman Rockwell who first painted the Santa we recognize today, and it was made popular by Coca-Cola advertisments.

ABDUR101
Dec 7, 2005, 12:47 PM
On 2005-12-07 02:35, Sinue_v2 wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/santa.jpg

Looks like the stress of the holidays finally got to him...

Yeah..finally got to him...five years ago!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/santaclaus.jpg

See! My ninja-theory holds true.

Rion772
Dec 8, 2005, 04:32 PM
650mps (miles per second) X 60 (60 seconds in a minute) = 39,000 miles per minute

39,000 (miles per minute) x 60 (minutes per hour) = 2,340,000 miles an hour...

That's fast...

He can go from 0 to 60 faster than I can blink...

Madzozs
Dec 8, 2005, 05:18 PM
Let's not forget that Santa was actual German. Ninjas are not from Germany. If anything Hitler actually created a super youth with the help of Heinrich Himler. That is how Santa continues to live on. They are making them by the cityload.

Either that, or go and watch the Christmas episode of "The Tick". That one explains a lot.

Jive18
Dec 8, 2005, 05:46 PM
On 2005-12-08 14:18, Madzozs wrote:
Let's not forget that Santa was actual German. Ninjas are not from Germany.

How do you know? Have you ever actually seen a ninja in your lifetime? You shouldn't assume that ninjas don't come from Germany, for all we know ninjas could've come from anywhere. *insert j/k here*

I'm thinkin' Abdur's theory is correct http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.