PDA

View Full Version : Good File Transfer Software?

Eihwaz
Dec 8, 2005, 12:15 AM
We're getting a new computer for Christmas, and since it's been over a year since we've gotten this one, I've accumulated a large number of files that I am not willing to part with, so, obviously, I need a good way to transfer these files.

Any suggestions? I looked at some of the ones on Amazon.com, and they were not recommended very highly. If worse comes to worse, I could just burn CDs, but I'd like to avoid doing that, seeing as I have many gigs of data to transfer, and a limited number of CDs.

Guntz348
Dec 8, 2005, 12:17 AM
Just connect your 2 PC's with a cross over cable and use windows sharing. That or just put your old HD in the new comp as a slave.

VioletSkye
Dec 8, 2005, 12:45 AM
If you have a network/wireless network, put the new pc on the network and place the files you want transfered from the old pc into a shared folder (or make the folders shared) and use MAP NETWORK DRIVE to create a network drive/s to connect to and transfer your files over (make sure you have File sharing enabled.) If you do have a network and need detailed instructions on how to that let me know. Otherwise, use the file and settings transfer wizard in Windows like Guntz suggested. You will actually need a cable called a Serial PC to PC File transfer Cable. You could also use a USB transfer cable if you want, but those are generally more expensive.

Parallel File Transfer Cable (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7003137&type=product&id=1099391933541)
Smartlink USB File Transfer Cable (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5310745&type=product&id=1051384689628)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-07 21:51 ]</font>

Zelutos
Dec 8, 2005, 12:53 AM
Why not just get a flash drive like i have >.>;;

VioletSkye
Dec 8, 2005, 12:58 AM
Heh, yeah Flash drives are great. But if he has tons of files to transfer, he may not want to pay alot for a Flash drive large enough to move everything over or he may not want to bother with multiple transfers on a smaller size Flash drive. Still, it's an excellent suggestion http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Guntz348
Dec 8, 2005, 01:08 AM
On 2005-12-07 21:45, VioletSkye wrote:
Otherwise, use the file and settings transfer wizard in Windows like Guntz suggested. You will actually need a cable called a Serial PC to PC File transfer Cable. You could also use a USB transfer cable if you want, but those are generally more expensive.

You should be able to use a standard crossover cable and do it through your ethernet ports. Just set up the IP's manually on each machine, enable sharing and it should work.

Guntz348
Dec 8, 2005, 01:14 AM
Heh I didn't even think of the price, I have quite a bit of crossover cable lying around. Then again I bet not many people have as much cable and spare parts kinda floating around as I do =P

VioletSkye
Dec 8, 2005, 01:14 AM
On 2005-12-07 22:08, Guntz348 wrote:

On 2005-12-07 21:45, VioletSkye wrote:
Otherwise, use the file and settings transfer wizard in Windows like Guntz suggested. You will actually need a cable called a Serial PC to PC File transfer Cable. You could also use a USB transfer cable if you want, but those are generally more expensive.

You should be able to use a standard crossover cable and do it through your ethernet ports. Just set up the IP's manually on each machine, enable sharing and it should work.

yep you can do it that way too. But a crossover cable is just as expensive (and often times more expensive) than a serial cable and he won't have to mess with IP's at all http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I was thinking of ease and expense.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-07 22:21 ]</font>

rena-ko
Dec 8, 2005, 10:39 AM
safety copies on CD / DVD would be a nice outcome if you do it via that option.
besides, if you want to keep the old one, you could think about either a switch and a home-LAN or invest in / lend wireless LAN USB-adapters.

Eihwaz
Dec 8, 2005, 01:02 PM
Well, at home, we do indeed have a wireless network, though it only consists of one laptop using a WLAN card. If I can set up file sharing between them quickly and easily, then I will certainly do just that.

However, the IOGEAR SmartLink USB File Transfer Cable that Violet linked to sounds really useful, since I have virtually no experience with multiple computers on one wireless network. It sounds like I just plug, drag, and drop the files. That is really appealing.

Making the laptop's hard drive part of my new computer would likely be the easiest way of doing things, but it's not an option. Firstly, I want to be free of all the random crap that has infested my HD as of late, things that HijackThis!, Ad-Aware, and Spybot have been unable to crush. Secondly, we're still going to be using the old computer, so dad will not be willing to let me take the hard drive out. :3

FIDELCASTRO
Dec 8, 2005, 03:34 PM
if you have an mp3 player, most can act as a portable hard drive and feature drag n' drop through windows explorer.

if not, here's a perfect excuse to get one.

rena-ko
Dec 8, 2005, 05:58 PM
really, just make both pcs part of your home-LAN. thats the easiest and most versatile option.