PDA

View Full Version : What inspired your love of Phantasy Star?

OdinTyler
Dec 10, 2005, 11:12 AM
As the title says, what caused you to fall in love with Phantasy Star, be it online or offline. Was it PS itself or was it a game that caused you to fall in love with RPGs in general that led to PS?

Discuss. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

uhawww
Dec 10, 2005, 12:11 PM
For Christmas 1993, my Parents got me PSIV for Genesis (yes, they actually spent $80 at a KBee Toy Store for it), and I played that game obsessively for about a year. Then I forgot all about PS until PSO.

I had pulled out of College for a Semester to work up some money to pay to finish, and I picked up PSO for DC...

That was all she wrote.
My phone line was constantly busy if I wasn't at work (loldialuplol). Absolute Addiction.

I have played PSO in all of it's forms ever since. I had stopped for a while, but picked up PSO:BB again to get back in the groove of things prior to PSUs launch.

SirAri
Dec 10, 2005, 12:51 PM
I wanted phantasy star online ever since I saw a video demo for the dreamcast. However, I didn't get it untill the game cube re-release. I bought the online adapter and everything, but I never played it online because I couldn't get my parents to pay for it. I loved the idea of customizing my own character and having my own adventure. As soon as psu comes out, I'm going to pay to play online with it myself, because I'm older now and can do such things.

Hooray! ^_^

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Dec 10, 2005, 12:55 PM
Back in the days when PSIV was new, I didnt really understand how to play RPG's. BUT I did enjoy watching one of my friends play them. He'd always be playing FF3 (6), Chrono Trigger (which was the most fun to watch) Or sometimes Phantasy Star IV. At the time, I didnt know the name of phantasy star, but the one thing I really liked from watching it was the vehicle battles. I loved those, all the vehicles had cool moves and awesome music.
Also, on another occasion my dad rented us Phantasy Star 2? I think... My brother and I couldnt figure out how to play it, cuz like I said, we didnt understand RPGs...We got into a battle with an enemy called "chirper" which I recognize now to be a rappy. We couldnt figure out how to attack or run... so we just died.
Anyways, time went by and I forgot about the games.
Some years later, My friends started getting into PSO. And eventually I got into it too. Once I played PSO, I remembered all those old games, downloaded the roms and played them for myself.

Anyway, thats why I'm really excited for vehicles in PSU =)

F-o-x
Dec 10, 2005, 01:05 PM
Hmm... my memory is hazy but thinking about it I'm pretty sure my father brought Phantasy Star 2 back for me when he took a trip to the states. I had gotten into Shining Force (The RPG that got me into RPGs) a year or two earlier and loved that, but from PS2's cover I didn't know what to make of it. I popped it into the Genesis and had a blast. I think it was the first traditional RPG I'd ever played (Shining Force being a strategy RPG). I never finished it and eventually lost the cart -_-. I even emulated it a few years back but still didn't finish it then. In fact I only finished it a few months ago on GBA http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Memories of PS2 and renting PS4 (Had to mark the cartrage so I knew which one had my save http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) ahhh those were the days.

When I heard that PSO was coming for DC I knew I had to try it out. I hadn't ever been online with a game before so it was a new experience for me. Once I finally had it the addiction that has held me for longer than five years took hold...

Dragon_Knight
Dec 10, 2005, 01:34 PM
Honestly where it begane I don't know. But I had always wanted to play an online game but never felt Everquest was right for me. I picked up the DC version and began hacking away....even when I found out that I wouldn't beable to use the online part. I found it addicting and even though I quit the DC version because I was sick of it. I picked up the GC one and started over from scratch. That lasted until about november of last year with spots of me playing it to refresh myself. Then came along BB and I started over from square one once more, with the exception of two recent months I have played it steadily. And now my FOnewarl has surpassed not only her DC version (Level 90) but has even surpassed the GC one (lv. 104) Having recently hit 130 I might actualy make it to 150 before PSU comes out.

ColonD
Dec 10, 2005, 03:04 PM
It all began with a dreamcast, a single VMU, and a brother.

(May be long, if you don't care, skip.)

One morning in the basement, I saw him playing, and I tried to sit and watch. But, he shooed my away, because he was in a lobby.

I longed to play, and asked him If I could, he said no, and I asked why?

One character per memory card.

Character...? Wha? You make your own character?! You play online?!
I was happy, and longful, and tried to watch when I could.
I vaguely remember him making a 'Clownboat' game with some gal.

Then, christmas came around. 'I only want a VMU!'
I got one.

My brother was playing the game when I came downstairs. So I had to wait.
What to do? Read the Manual, it's what I do when I'm bored and I want to figure out somethings.
I spent time studing the classes. Three newmans, three Androids, three humans. Three classes. Pretty balanced in my eyes.
When it came around to creation. Hunters were labeled as for beginners in the manual. Only one Girl hunter, and there was no way I was going to play as a boy. (I used to be paranoid of boy characters)
HUnewearl.
Ohhhh, pretty yellow outfit!
Pigtails, how cute!
Lets make her short!
Oh, her green eyes are so big like that!
Now for actual gameplay.
Hunters guild...? Lalala... quest?
Battle training...? I'm not that bad.
Oh, this one pays the most!
valueable commadity... blah blah...
Okay, find something on the ground, gotcha.

Well, ever start a game and have no idea how hard or easy it will be? Or what exsactly you are looking for?
Well, after I got beat up by boomas a bit, I ran back crying to the guild lady.

Well, eventually, I kept going Running home everytime I came across the boss portal,
Until level ten or so.
"Oi, brotherm what level should I be to fight the first boss."

"Offline? I beat it easily at level 5."
Yeah, you bet I felt stupid.
Beat it, then went to caves.
Oh my got they're killing me! *tears*
Then I'd remake character and start the cycle over again.

Then GC PSO ver 1 & 2 came, we, (me and my two brothers) Made different characters.

Me= Ramarl, kitty hat pigtails, akward purple outfit and hair. Spacebread
Oldest brother(whom hasn't played PSO before this)= Racast, grey, big, named S-U-P-E-R
older brother.= Smexy HUcaseal, black and red, Ninja ponytail.
We all goofed off, murdering the things of the forest.
So, one brother moved away, taking a dreamcast and a VMU with him, and the game that started it all.
I got the GC to myself, my oldest brother didn't like the game.
New character- Kay
Black number 2
Green eyes.
Red hair, flat, exsact cut looking.
Short.
First character I ever got to mines, ruins, to find a rare(Booma's right arm/Booma claw) To complete all quests, and then, with her, I played ep2, managed to beat the gyrphon. Then, I felt it was time to fight Dark Falz.
The flowers and sunshine gave my a heart attack, I was phsyched for the boss, and something inside told me ' Oh shi-!"
Yeah, but I still won.
Then, I got what was needed to be online. I learned the hard way about what Illegit was, making the mistake of giving away my origional mag, etc.
And, my brother dropped a keyboard on my lap one day. for GC. Heh, he doesn't seem like it, but he's nice.

So, my beginning addiction has been told. Rest in Peice, Kay.
And, hope to see everyone in PSU!

VioletSkye
Dec 10, 2005, 03:16 PM
Picked up a used copy of PSO for GC at a video rental place for around $10 at the suggestion of a friend. Only other PS gave I've played are the beta versions (JP and US) of PSO:BB, but quite frankly the game was already boring to me at that point so I never persued either of them. I'm definitely looking forward to PSU though http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dre_o
Dec 10, 2005, 04:08 PM
Back when I was just getting XBox live, I was looking around in EB Games and came across PSO. I look at the back of the game and go HOLY SHIT. THIS LOOKS AWSOME! I then go back to my brother and tell him about it. He loves it also.

Eventually, after much longing, I finally am able to buy it. I do. My brothers and I play offline together until we were at level 60. All that leveling done in about 3 days. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

In that time, I somehow find my treasured S-Rank Katanna (I don't know how, or why, but I CAN SHOW YOU THE EXACT BOX I FOUND IT IN IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE). Can't use that till level 87. I find my Asukas...blah blah blah. Get online, play with Kepman (Gun runner) and I live happily ever after, even more so when PSU comes out. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tomonari
Dec 10, 2005, 04:32 PM
My friend and his dad got PSO for GC when it first came out. I came over a lot and made a FOmar and played with them a lot. So I decided to buy myself a GC and PSO and I've been playing it ever since. Can't wait for PSU. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Niki
Dec 10, 2005, 04:47 PM
Christmas 1989.

The previous summer i was given a Genesis, and now my parents were giving me the choice of receiving an early present, and i guess i made the lucky choice. Over breakfast at Perkins, i opened my gift, saw the John C Berkey inspired cover painting and the golden typeface reading 'Phantasy Star II'. The box showed screenshots of anime cutscenes that reminded me of my first television obsession, Robotech, and i was hooked. Not to mention the fact that it included a mini hint guide with maps and artwork. All for $80.

During the next 7 or 8 months, i spent agonising hours levelling up, exploring, dying, resetting, and watched the tragedy unfold, both horrified and delighted. the characters, the music, the story, it all seemed to fit so well to me [who, being 11, could forgive things like engrish as a matter of course], and the experience culminated in that last hopeless battle, when the heroes, valiant and defiant, faced certain death head-on. It was as the end credits rolled that i knew i had been a part of something special.

That's where it started for me.

Thanks Sega. Thanks mom and dad.

Sinue_v2
Dec 10, 2005, 07:10 PM
I had a Sega MasterSystem as a kid, and my parents bought it for my sister for Christmas in '89 because it had a female lead character. They figured she would enjoy it more, while I got the GhostBusters game (loved GhostBusters back then).

Turns out she didn't, but I liked it. Though I didn't really appreceate what I was playing until going over to a friend's house and having him try to show off Final Fantasy I to me. (I was much more engrossed by Quest for Glory for the PC, which was an Adventure/RPG light-years ahead of anything being done on consoles at the time, even Phantasy Star)

Wha... wait a second, the 16-bit sequel to an 8-bit game which looks, plays, and tells a much better storyline (through cutscenes, with strong characterization) is already out... and you want me to be impressed by THAT? hahahaah....

So I went back around 1991 and got on the local BBS's for hints and advice. played through it... and was thoroughly hooked. Shortly afterward I got a Genesis as a reward for deciding to give up a family vacation to New York in order to take care of some kittens the dead-beat momma cat had left in the freezing cold. Though Quest for Glory was still at the top of my game list each Christmas and Birthday - Phantasy Star II, III, and IV were just below it.

Been a fan ever since.

(Though I'm still a bit more of a fan of QFG than PS. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

rena-ko
Dec 10, 2005, 08:19 PM
was bored with the n64, wanted to pick a dc up, got a nice bundle secondhanded (and in very good shape).... then it all began.

OdinTyler
Dec 10, 2005, 10:04 PM
Well, good to see ppl have a variety of stories to tell. Im also proud to see some ppl have roots in playing older PS games. Ill keep it a short msg & if you want more details, feel free to ask. For now, Ill say that my 1st official non-paper, non-text, non-computer, non-arcade video game console RPG was...

Phantasy Star, Sega Master System, 1987/88

Yep. The beginning was the beginning for me as well. True, I love a variety of types of games & series (if you want to know, PM me & Ill tell ya). However, you never forget your first love: Alis Landale and her creator, Rieko Kodama. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Blitzkommando
Dec 10, 2005, 10:34 PM
Wouldn't call it love per se, but I have enjoyed the 3 years that I have been playing. PSOGC is where I started with the series. It was more the people I met than the game itself that I have come to like though. I picked up the Phantasy Star Collection when it came out and... never got into any of the games really. I'm sure I would have enjoyed them but I just... didn't connect with any of the characters. PSU looks promising and I'm hoping it turns out well.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 10, 2005, 11:07 PM
I feel in love with Phantasy Star back when I was 11 or 12. My cousin had obtained Phantasy Star II & III, and though I didn't understand the concept behind the games at the time, they were rather entertaining, in any case. Eventually he gave the games to me, and I played them both through, proper.

I will say right now, that terms of concepts at the very least, Phantasy Star II has the best ending of any game I have ever encountered.

watashiwa
Dec 10, 2005, 11:22 PM
Phantasy Star I, Sega Master System, when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade then..

Rion772
Dec 11, 2005, 12:11 AM
Uhhh...because it looked good?

Zelutos
Dec 11, 2005, 12:21 AM
None of the above. My friends made me buy it..and then i just started liking it. I was originally offline, then moved to online. However, PSU will be starting off online...and who knows, i might play offline too XD

InfinityXXX
Dec 11, 2005, 12:24 AM
I never played any Phantasy Star games. I was online and I came across PSO on nintendo.com and it looked kind of cool so I told my mom to get it for me. I knew nothing about it.(I though it was a normal rpg).

What I like about PSO is how well you can get into te game and how theres a lot of possibilities. You can have a humar, or a ramar, or fonewm, or you can play to get to lv.200 or play to find this weapon or that weapon and you can play with friends.

It really is a fun game whether your playing online, offline solo, or with friends., you'll have fun with it and it was well worth the money. So I guess thats what inspired me to love PSO.

Dek
Dec 11, 2005, 12:32 AM
Saw PSO in an issue of Nintendo Power...

Thought it kicked ass...

Of course it did... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Asked for it on Christmas. Got it.

Of course, I needed shitloads of other things. Modem adapter, a way to type, and a different ISP since Netzero didn't work (one reason why I can't stand the company)

Switched to Earthlink, got a Powerboard (even though I was only looking for the converter), a Modem Adapter, boom! Instant online bliss...

Of course, my parents then switched to DSL, so I had to get a Broadband adapter... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Feelmirath
Dec 11, 2005, 05:49 AM
Saw a review for it in NGC... Looked like it owned, so i went out and got it.

I never actually payed it much attention until the beginning of this year, though =/

KaFKa
Dec 11, 2005, 05:59 AM
Why isnt there a "most addictive yet least rewarding game you've ever played" option?

eXo
Dec 11, 2005, 01:44 PM
PSO dreamcast man i loved that game.

Derek0660
Dec 11, 2005, 01:53 PM
Saw ads for it ion the internet.
Saw it at Best Buy one day, and decided to pick it up.
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Excellent choice.

PIT
Dec 11, 2005, 01:58 PM
i saw my friend playing it and the mines just beated the crap out of me. i love that area and i still wanna play, even through it's been 5 years offline only and my bro borrowed his friend my pso dvd and i CAN'T GET IT BACK FOR 6 FUC*ING MONTHS NOW!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 11, 2005, 02:27 PM
On 2005-12-11 02:59, KaFKa wrote:
Why isnt there a "most addictive yet least rewarding game you've ever played" option?

Because we all know that Tetris would win with little competition.

zwandude15
Dec 11, 2005, 02:45 PM
Funny story actually. My friend introduced me to the game, it was kinda a one day thing (i had previously seen him playing it at his house and never really gave it that much attention). I bought the game the NEXT day. I made a HUmar with his game and continued playing when i got mine.

Soon after, i made a HUcaseal and feared caves SOOO much, i got to level 36 in normal mode before i even attempted to walk in there. LOL. Long story short, they were raped when i walked in there, hahaha.

My memory card was corrupted, where i then made another character, and experienced SPECIAL WEAPONS for the first time. This character then became corrupt, and after some nice gaming experience at that point, and i knew what was worth hunting and what wasn't, i have the nice Sec. ID's and characters i do now......

Neith
Dec 11, 2005, 06:09 PM
I got into RPG's purely by luck.

My mum bought me a PSX for Christmas one year, which came with: Crash Bandicoot 2, and.. Final Fantasy VII

I hated FF7 when I got it, I thought it was too hard (I must've been a TOTAL n00b). After about 6 months, I decided to play it out of boredom. It just clicked with me, and I went and bought FF8 after finishing 7.

For Phantasy Star, I didn't really know about it until PSO GC, which I played around a friend's house one night. I got home, withdrew some money, went and bought a Gamecube, and PSO GC.

Rei-San
Dec 11, 2005, 07:01 PM
So many things sparked my interest:

I love futuristic anime.

Then My friend came over my house with PSO.
I loved the game, we had a lot of laughs.
I asked if I could borrow it. I loved it more.

.Hack was one of my favorite animes. It seamed semular to PSO. Which made me more inturested. This is what sparked my fan fiction.

I bought it and loved it more. Then when I found out about the online feature. I loved it more.