PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Derek0660
Dec 11, 2005, 06:19 PM
I need help convincing my parents to let me get a graphics card so I can play PC games.
their standard arguments:
You don't need more games. (I only have a GC and a DS)
I don't want that stuff on my computer.

rena-ko
Dec 11, 2005, 06:23 PM
go earn your own money so you can buy an own PC.
all they can bitch about then is the phone- and electricity-bill.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2005-12-11 15:23 ]</font>

Derek0660
Dec 11, 2005, 06:25 PM
A decent PC is about $1200.
I have about $300.
I am 13.
I can't work.
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Eihwaz
Dec 11, 2005, 06:26 PM
Why not ask for a better graphics card that's compatible with your current computer for Christmas?

Derek0660
Dec 11, 2005, 06:31 PM
On 2005-12-11 15:26, Eihwaz wrote:
Why not ask for a better graphics card that's compatible with your current computer for Christmas?

I think I need to clarify a bit.
My parents have a sweet PC that I use alot.
I want to get a graphics card for it, but they say no.
I could buy it and get it installed (so they won't worry) with the money that I have.
But they say no.
They won't get me a graphics card.
I need to convice them to give in.

EphekZ
Dec 11, 2005, 06:34 PM
It's not the compatability of it. It's that they feel he doesnt need any other games. PLus thy also are worried about compiter space it seems.

So it's theirs or your computer?

If it's theirs then well you're screwed becuase they probably use it for stuff.

but if it's yours you should be able to do w/e you want with it.

Derek0660
Dec 11, 2005, 06:36 PM
It's their PC.
They NEVER use it and I use it alot.

EphekZ
Dec 11, 2005, 06:39 PM
Still it's theirs. put in your perspective would you want you son putting unknown shit on there?

Derek0660
Dec 11, 2005, 06:44 PM
On 2005-12-11 15:39, darkgunner wrote:
Still it's theirs. put in your perspective would you want you son putting unknown shit on there?

If it was me, I would let him put it on there, but the second that I KNEW that what he did screwed it up, I would make him fix it by himself.

ABDUR101
Dec 11, 2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah, if I paid $1300 for a computer, let my child put something in it, and then he messed it up, I would'nt let him try and fix it himself, because appearently if he can't put something in right, he isn't going to have the ability to un-due any damage.

So, deal with it. They bought it, it's theirs, whether they use it alot or not. I have shit that I buy, and it might sit for months until I get around to using it, that doesn't mean I'm going to let someone else dick with it, it's still mine.

So, in the end, just deal with it. Save your money and buy a decent computer. There are 'decent' computers at Wal-mart and so on for about $600. Buy your own, then when it comes time to update it, you'll be old enough to have a crappy job to flip the bill.

Fairly cut and dry though really, they said no, accept their answer and stop whining and trying to get them to give in.

Derek0660
Dec 11, 2005, 07:48 PM
On 2005-12-11 15:51, ABDUR101 wrote:
Yeah, if I paid $1300 for a computer, let my child put something in it, and then he messed it up, I would'nt let him try and fix it himself, because appearently if he can't put something in right, he isn't going to have the ability to un-due any damage.

When I said that I was going to have it installed, I meant I was going to have it installed by Best Buy.

Just to clarify.

Kent
Dec 11, 2005, 08:48 PM
Out of curiosity, what hardware does the system already have in it?

EphekZ
Dec 11, 2005, 09:02 PM
On 2005-12-11 17:48, Kent wrote:

Yes because if you said it's a "sweet" computer Mine isnt all that great and all Ihave is a integrated graphix card and the games work fine.

silvermax
Dec 11, 2005, 09:42 PM
On 2005-12-11 16:48, Derek0660 wrote:

When I said that I was going to have it installed, I meant I was going to have it installed by Best Buy.

Just to clarify.

i wouldnt trust best buy with my comp for a second.

Derek0660
Dec 11, 2005, 10:31 PM

AMD 64 3300+ 2.4GHz processor
512 RAM
160 GB hard drive

DLShAdOw
Dec 11, 2005, 10:57 PM
a decent processor(amd w00t) with not too much ram and a big HD it's okay, my laptop is better:

amd 64 athlon mobile
radeon 128mb mobility graphics card 1 gB of Ram
80 GB HD it runs halo and cs perfectly fine.

can you tell me how many MB you current graphics card has and what games you are intending to play. i don't think you relly need a new graphics card.

Kent
Dec 11, 2005, 11:33 PM
On 2005-12-11 19:31, Derek0660 wrote:

AMD 64 3300+ 2.4GHz processor
512 RAM
160 GB hard drive

That's pretty good, but what about graphics? you don't normally come across a retail system with that kind of hardware, unless it has some sort of graphics card in it...

KodiaX987
Dec 11, 2005, 11:58 PM
Sit it out, bud. It's their computer and their decisions about it are final. Besides, methinks you're already pretty well-equipped already with a GameCube and a Nintendo DS.

And anyway, once you get around to have the cash for buying your own computer, all the games you wanted to play back then will be in the bargain bin and available for less than 20 bucks. Or better yet, they'll have gone freeware. It's a win-win situation. I score a perfect example right now by playing Freespace 2, which cost me next to nothing.

Blitzkommando
Dec 12, 2005, 12:37 AM
Indeed, wait for it. Afterall, until you are 18 your parents own you, and legally so. I'm assuming it's either an eMachine or HP and probably the 3200+ (There is no 3300+ and the 3500+ comes with 1024MB of DDR400) with the X200 Express video chipset. If you think that is a poor graphics chipset then you obviously never used the "Intel Extreme Graphics" chipsets. Seriously, that X200 is better than what a lot of people have and it does fine with low settings. Wait a couple years, get a job and buy your own.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 12, 2005, 03:52 AM
On 2005-12-11 15:31, Derek0660 wrote:

They won't get me a graphics card.
I need to convice them to give in.

No you don't.

You need to respect their decision.

You have no arguement against their decision, and the internet is not going to convince your parents that you need to play more (PC) games.

If you can't understand respecting a decision made by your parents, that's reason enough eh?

And the devil's advocate side of me first thought of the $400 Nvidia 7800 GT on sale this week in the Comp USA ad for $320 after a $30 instant and $50 mail in rebate. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sinue_v2
Dec 12, 2005, 11:17 AM

Actually, that's just the opposite of the attitude my father had when he bought our family's first computer. I was only 10 at the time, and well... PC's back then were FAR less user-friendly than they are now. (Much more expensive too... I think our 33Mhz 386 cost about $3,500 brand new, not including the Math-Co Processor which ran another $400) My first OS was DOS 4.0 I think, though the soon upgraged to 5.0 with DosShell (useless). We also had Windows 3.0, but I was always more fond of DOS myself.

Anyhow... we were running out of space on the HDD and I decided to install Stacker. I got about an extra 40 MB out of a 150MB HDD. Some time later I tried to uncompress the HDD without deleting enough files to put it under the 150MB limit. It caused a critical error and royally screwed the HDD. Took me over a year of hacking away at it before I finally got it working again. While I'm sure he was pissed that I screwed it up, fixing it myself was a big accomplishment for me, and it's part of what inspired my love of tinkering around with computers. So it was really helpful to me in the end.

Now.. computer systems these days are far - FAR - easier for even novices to work on. Installing a graphics card is such a simple task, I find it difficult to believe that even an 8-year old could screw it up.. and I think that his parents should be encouraging his interest in computers - even if it is just to play games (as was mine back in the day).

However, by the same token... you need to respect your parent's decision and know that their word is final in the decision. Perhaps if you showed a bit of interest in other high-end programs other than games... such as photo/video editing, 3D rendering, and such - they'd be more apt to listen to you. Learn all you can, and try to dazzle them with what you know. Optimise the hell out of your system, and try to convince them to switch to better non-gaming (and free) programs like FireFox, OpenOffice, ect.. and explain why.(Chances are, your parents are complete computer newbs, so it shouldn't be that hard).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2005-12-12 08:22 ]</font>