PDA

View Full Version : gameplay settings adjusting

kazuma56
Dec 28, 2005, 08:00 AM
I don't know alot about PC hardware but I know a little bit about it.

So here's my question, I upgraded my intel onboard graphics accelerator to a PCI (yes PCI, not PCIE) geforce FX 5500 256 mb video memory card, and cant seem to find the medium of getting the game to run perfectly without slowdown.

My current set-up is

Frameskip:0
Advanced effect:on
low res.texture:off
auto frameskip:off

Detail
Shadow:low
Enemy:high
Map:high

Clip distance:near

fog effect:pixel

it occasionaly slows down in ep1, haven't tried ep.2 and in ep4, slows down alot in crowded areas and seems like infinite slowdown at times.

BTW my other computer specs are as follows:
processor: intel Celeron 2.5ghz
Ram:768

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 28, 2005, 09:48 AM
Try it on auto frame skip and turning off the advanced effect.

Does it work okay at the Normal "check box" settings or if not there, the Low end settings?

I'm no expert or anything either though.

I had a problem with an "infinite loop" motherboard and bios configuration after installing two different graphics cards. I didn't want to mess with it anymore after spending nearly a whole day trying to configure it correctly.

I should have looked here for tech help.

BahnKnakyu
Dec 28, 2005, 09:32 PM
Hi Kazuma, I was the one in the game who suggested to lower your clip distance. Sorry about disappearing on ya, my Internet connection died. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I have to warn you that the GeForce 5xxx series are notorious for being rather shoddy in their driver implementation. But if that's what yer money could get ya for the time, then that's what we'll be working around.

As Hayabusa pointed out, try set it on Normal and see if your comp is fine with it, if it's not, then up some of the settings - I would up the fog to whatever the High end setting has for its fog (I think it's pixel).

Turn off the Advanced Effect, definitely. Then slowly lower the detail for the other fields - I would lower the Map and Shadow settings first. Only cos they're probably not the stuff you'll notice first since they're ambient.

Otherwise, lower your resolution - run it in 16-bit 800 x 600... 640 x 480 is kinda hard to look at. And of course, make sure you don't have any junk running in the background. And if your computer is old, I suggest cleaning the dust out of the heat sink fan and your graphic's card fan. Doing that alone got a majority of my performance capabilities back.

Places to test: Seabed, Ep4 Desert (ESPECIALLY when there's Merissas around), Saint Milion, Mines. These areas used to lag me up a lot till I got around to cleaning out my comp, if you get decent framerates (use something like fraps to measure them, 30 is max for PSO) in these areas, you should be good to go. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

kazuma56
Dec 28, 2005, 09:44 PM
I also run it in windows mode...don't know if that makes a difference.

BahnKnakyu
Dec 28, 2005, 09:49 PM
On 2005-12-28 18:44, kazuma56 wrote:

I can't remember what the technical reasons are, but I THINK running in Full Screen mode works better. Something about it using your computer's graphic's card to its fullest - though I know Windowed Mode still uses your graphic's card, just not as much as FS mode does.

Corey
Dec 29, 2005, 01:13 AM
On 2005-12-28 18:49, BahnKnakyu wrote:

On 2005-12-28 18:44, kazuma56 wrote:

I can't remember what the technical reasons are, but I THINK running in Full Screen mode works better. Something about it using your computer's graphic's card to its fullest - though I know Windowed Mode still uses your graphic's card, just not as much as FS mode does.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there's a memory leak in full screen mode. I've tried both Window and Full Screen, neither seemed to do better than the other.

Kazuma, I'd reccomend just turning off Advanced Effects. I have only a 64MB card as of now and I can run Enemy Detail, Shadow Detail, Map Detail at 3, with Advanced Effects and Low Res Textures off, 0 Frame Skip, and Clip Distance at 2 (middle). I'm no expert either however ;p (I'm able to run these settings lag free so I imagine you would be able to)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Corey on 2005-12-28 22:18 ]</font>