PDA

View Full Version : Which router to buy ?

eXo
Dec 28, 2005, 01:31 PM
Im considering buying a router mainly just to have one so that i can network my pc and my 360, the problem is that i prefer linksys,and they have both a belkin and a netgear on sell for $29.99 the linksys is $59.99 with like $20.00 in mail in rebates <--- I hate them---> anyway i dont need a MIMO or Pre N etc..etc..its a fairly small room and like i said its only for my PC to 360, and the wireless for when my occasional company comes over they can access the net. What do you guys think

VioletSkye
Dec 28, 2005, 02:21 PM
Personally I really like Netgear so thats generally what I use when setting up networks for people. Any of them will be fine though for what you need.

BahnKnakyu
Dec 28, 2005, 09:52 PM
Well, unless it's absolutely imperative that you get a router right now, wait a little bit for the Linksys to go on sale. I'm assuming you're getting this from CompUSA - they rotate between the different brands of routers and whatnot when they have their sales, and they have a sale at least once every 2-3 weeks.

When I set up networks and stuff for my friends, I usually have them get a Linksys, only cos its technical support is pretty good - I had a few friends who had problems with their Netgear and Belkin routers. But in the end, they pretty much all work the same, so get what you like.

VioletSkye
Dec 28, 2005, 10:47 PM
I've never had any problems with Netgear routers or switches, whereas I used to have to swap out Linksys stuff frequently. This was before they were bought by Cisco though and I know that improvements have been made, in fact I haven't had any customer problems with their Linksys gear lately. I still think that Netgear's switches hold up better though. I should have mentioned earlier however that of all the brands out there, I would stay away from D-Link. I've replaced quite a few of those over the years http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

If you want a Linksys then hold out for abit until they go on sale, but imo it won't be any better of a product than a Netgear. There is one caveat however with using the default ranges for the Netgear (which only applies if you are using ICS-Internet Connection Sharing, where one pc/machine is connecting to the internet directly through the other pc.) It uses 192.168.0.1 as its default gateway address which conflicts with the default windows ICS IP which is also 192.168.0.1. But like I said, this is only an issue if you plan to connect another machine directly to your PC (and quite frankly, if you have a router, why would you need to do that anyway http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif )

Link00seven
Dec 28, 2005, 10:53 PM
I've always had good luck with my Belkin Wireless G Router. I don't know what they retail for because I got mine for free, but they work pretty nicely.

BahnKnakyu
Dec 29, 2005, 06:59 AM
Oh yeah, definitely do *not* get a D-Link. They're very budget priced, but do remember you get what you pay for from this brand, and that's not much. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif