PDA

View Full Version : Redant GC VGA?

Zio
Sep 14, 2002, 06:57 PM
I'm currently using a s-video to vga adapter and the picture is really grainy. Has anyone used the Redant VGA adapter and if so is the picture quality pretty clear, atleast better than a standard tv? Also, does anyone know if gc pso uses progressive scan?

rbf2000
Sep 15, 2002, 12:56 AM
Well, because the redant vga adapter uses the analog out port, it can't be any better quality than the s-video. It's not really worth it. I have it, and I prefer to use an s-video cable to it.

MeatWagon
Sep 15, 2002, 11:24 AM
I have use both the Redant vga converter and the Innovation Universal vga adapter,both of them had the same results, very poor quality(I rate them 2 out of 10)..Like many other gamers out there I perfer the clarity of a computer monitor over a large screen tv "period" (unless you have HDTV with progressive scan).I have searched the net for many product and found a couple that looked and sounded really good but they had a very high price tag $250 and above.Without getting into massive detail on how these product work the best thing that I found for my money was Viewsonic VB50HRTV from CompUSA it cost me $100.00.Now I have all my systems hooked up to my vga monitor and it has really good clarity and color(rate 8 out of 10) plus it also a TV tuner and it has a Vga passthru which is a plus.Check it out http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_box_vb50hrtv.htm
Also to answer your second question,Yes the Gamecube supports progressive scan but only a few games support it like Rouge Squadron,Eternal Darkness and a few others that I can't remember right now. It seems like only the American Gamecube titles are supporting progressive scan right now. Also you can only get the component video cables through Nintendo online store. Hope this helped you out.....

rbf2000
Sep 15, 2002, 01:50 PM
Or you could get a real (http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc/vgacable.htm) vga cable. It uses the digital out of the gamecube, so you get a much better picture.

Zio
Sep 15, 2002, 02:01 PM
yeah i would get that if someone can determine whether or not GC PSO supports progressive scan.

flyrobinfly
Sep 17, 2002, 12:18 PM
On 2002-09-15 11:50, rbf2000 wrote:
Or you could get a real (http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc/vgacable.htm) vga cable. It uses the digital out of the gamecube, so you get a much better picture.

Buyer beware - I purchased this very cable, but unfortunately the only monitor that I've been able to get it to work with is an $8k plasma screen where I work.

Although the GC is capable of generating a valid VGA signal, it's at some crazy slow refresh rate (if I remember correctly) that isn't supported by standard PC monitors. I've tried it on at least 4 different brands so far, and it looks like I'm outta luck - unless I ever get my hands on a plasma screen of my own, of course http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

rbf2000
Sep 17, 2002, 01:46 PM
On 2002-09-15 12:01, Zio wrote:
yeah i would get that if someone can determine whether or not GC PSO supports progressive scan.

cube.ign.com (http://cube.ign.com/articles/136/136472p1.html) says it will. But that article has a few innaccuracys in it, so take it how you will.

Spy
Sep 18, 2002, 01:31 AM
Mmmm... Thank you ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder 7500...

Zio
Sep 18, 2002, 07:31 PM
hmm all i have are some 15 in regular vga monitors, i cant afford a plazma screen. So should i try and get the cable or should i just get the VB50HRTV.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zio on 2002-09-18 18:05 ]</font>

Spy
Sep 18, 2002, 11:11 PM
On 2002-09-18 17:31, Zio wrote:
hmm all i have are some 15 in regular vga monitors, i cant afford a plazma screen. So should i try and get the cable or should i just get the VB50HRTV.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zio on 2002-09-18 18:05 ]</font>

I'd get a tuner card. You can get a decent one for pretty cheap nowadays, and do more with it than a mere vga adaptor. And I hate to be sarcastic, but on a 15 in. VGA monitor, you're not going to get all that great a picture even if you had the best hookups and cables in the world.

MeatWagon
Sep 20, 2002, 09:16 PM
In My opinion you should go with the VB50HRTV for one reason ,the Vga cables that are now available from these online shops are modified D terminal cables. In order to use your Gamecube on a VGA monitor with this cable you still have to set your Gamecube to progressive scan mode. The problem is that there are not that many games right now that support this mode(480p).But to get to progressive scan mode you would have to be hooked up to a regular tv(anolog av ) and the VGA cable(digital av) hooked to your VGA monitor. Start your Gamecube with no game cd (look at your tv). Under Video setting switch to progressive scan then pop in a game that supports progessive scan, hit reset, and it should appear on your monitor. (These are the instructions I got off the net) Or you can get the VB50HRTV, plug in your S-video cable to the VB50HRT and play any game on your VGA monitor.You would probably get a slightly better picture on your VGA monitor with the modified D terminal cable, but I wanted all my game consoles hooked up to a Vga monitor with good clarity and quality. Like I said, This is My opinion. Hope this helps you out.