PDA

View Full Version : Just Got an Xbox

WraithAkaMrak
Sep 15, 2002, 03:58 PM
No, not for PSO (which I will have to get a GC for). But for quite a few other games, many of them from Sega. I picked up Jet Set Radio Future (which has been discontinued), Sega GT 2002 (recently released), the DVD Remote Kit, and the Best Buy 2-year warranty. And I'm waiting on Shenmue II. Down the road, there's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars Galaxies (we'll have to see how much they charge in addition to Xbox Live fees), Project Ego (aka Fable). Also some multiplatform titles (Soul Calibur 2, Tony Hawk 4). There are a few other games out that I'm interested in (Halo, Morrowind) that I might try before buying. I may pick up the Controller S, but the standard controller works pretty good so far.

I saved approximately $145. $100 on waiting for the Xbox price drop. $10 on JSRF (at $39.99 instead of $49.99). $30 on the DVD Kit (which I'll get a rebate in the mail for), and $5 with a coupon cut out of EGM.

I'm enjoying both Sega GT 2002 and JSRF. (I never really liked Sega GT on the DC, but 2002 is vastly improved over the original.)

I'd been looking closely at Xbox since late last year, but I was waiting until there were more games that I really wanted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithAkaMrak on 2002-09-15 14:01 ]</font>

Abaddon
Sep 15, 2002, 04:02 PM
Hooray for you ^_^
I'm actually wasting my money on dvd's atm, i cant be bothered with another console atm and the DC is fine sitting there...collecting dust (you didnt hear that)
And also cos ive been writing a lot recently. no time to play ^_^

Abaddon.

ginko990
Sep 15, 2002, 04:18 PM
I was going to buy an Xbox a while back but decided against it, I already have GC and PS2. As for morrowind, get it for the PC its better. And if you dont have HALO and Gun Valkeryie for Xbox you might as well not have Xbox in the first place.

WraithAkaMrak
Sep 15, 2002, 04:34 PM
On 2002-09-15 14:18, ginko990 wrote:
I was going to buy an Xbox a while back but decided against it, I already have GC and PS2. As for morrowind, get it for the PC its better. And if you dont have HALO and Gun Valkeryie for Xbox you might as well not have Xbox in the first place.I'm not a big PC gamer. Most of the PC games I play aren't action-oriented. Things like SimCity and Civilization games. Plus I'd have to upgrade my graphics card for decent performance w/ Morrowind, and I'm not sure yet if it's a game I really want to buy. (I'm more used to the Final Fantasy-style RPGs.) I do really want to try Halo. I just don't play many FPSes, so I want to try it first. Gunvalkyrie, I heard it was really hard to control. And I never was terribly interested in it to begin with.

I don't have a GC or PS2.

Nerd
Sep 15, 2002, 07:05 PM
yippie skippy...

meanwhile more children starve to death in the ghetto..

Kent
Sep 15, 2002, 07:17 PM
Get Halo, you won't regret it.

As for GUNVALKYRIE, it's not really hard to control, but I can see it getting a tad difficult if you aren't very good at using both sticks and triggers at once. As for quality software, it's up there with Halo and JSRF, being amongst the best games available for Xbox.

LieutenantDwAnGStick
Sep 15, 2002, 07:45 PM
Not having an XBOX w/o Halo is like having a PP&J sandwich w/o the bread

Halo is great

and this coming from a Nintendo fanboy..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LieutenantDwAnGStick on 2002-09-15 17:46 ]</font>

ginko990
Sep 16, 2002, 12:28 AM
My friend has an Xbox and HALO and me and him sat in his room for like 10 hours Co-Oping the whole game......on 2 difficulty settings. I love it. And throwing the occasional gernade on your friend is always fun http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ABDUR101
Sep 16, 2002, 01:56 AM
Halo I bought before I even had my X-box. It wasn't until two stores later, at of all places, we found 20 X-boxs at Wal-mart x_x

Then, I bought DOA3.

And then Blood Omen 2, and then Gun Valkyrie, and then Morrowind, and the last game I bought was Turok:EVO. =o

Halo was a staple for me and my brother to spend time together. After 18 hours of non-stop Halo, my eyes weren't too happening. I swear, it was from not blinking...honest =X

DOA3 I loved, even though I was never into the DOA series gameplay, DOA3 really got me into it.

Gun Valkyrie was ok. I liked it, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Blood Omen was really interesting, the story was great, until the fahking thing came to a glitch and now everytime I try to pull a switch that takes me to fight a boss, it sends me back to the save spot and freezes each time.

Morrowind...has taken over my life. >_>

I've had it since release, and I've been exploring all the time, finding rares, killing people, doing all sorts of jobs. I have most of the 27 rare and legendary items in the game, as well as enchanting my own.

I'm practically immortal thanks to the stuff I've found and made with enchantments. =)

...I are whore. =X

Spy
Sep 16, 2002, 02:07 AM
On 2002-09-15 23:56, ABDUR101 wrote:

Blood Omen was really interesting, the story was great, until the fahking thing came to a glitch and now everytime I try to pull a switch that takes me to fight a boss, it sends me back to the save spot and freezes each time.

Can j00 say: "X-Box 15 7h3 SUX"

ABDUR101
Sep 16, 2002, 02:11 AM
On 2002-09-16 00:07, Spy wrote:

It's teh game, f00.

Every other game works fine, it's just Blood Omen 2 =o

Spy
Sep 16, 2002, 02:15 AM
It's teh game, f00.

Every other game works fine, it's just Blood Omen 2 =o

No... I was just wondering if you could say it or not. I mean, are you really that insecure about the quality of the Xbox?

ABDUR101
Sep 16, 2002, 02:22 AM
On 2002-09-16 00:15, Spy wrote:
No... I was just wondering if you could say it or not.

oh, I can say it. Easily. =)

I mean, are you really that insecure about the quality of the Xbox?

I'm so confident in the quality of the construction of the X-box that I'll beat the shit out of you with it. =D

Spy
Sep 16, 2002, 02:27 AM
On 2002-09-16 00:22, ABDUR101 wrote:

I'm so confident in the quality of the construction of the X-box that I'll beat the shit out of you with it. =D

The purse-handle on my 'cube makes it easier to smack people with.

*smacks Abdur's Xbox out of his hands*

ABDUR101
Sep 16, 2002, 02:50 AM
On 2002-09-16 00:27, Spy wrote:
The purse-handle on my 'cube makes it easier to smack people with.

...little gurly handle =o

My X-box's pure bulk allows me to squash small women and children, along with bludgeon grown men out-right.

*smacks Abdur's Xbox out of his hands*

...I'd say ouch..but I think a resounding AHHHHH!!!! will do.

RuneLateralus
Sep 16, 2002, 02:53 AM
On 2002-09-16 00:50, ABDUR101 wrote:

My X-box's pure bulk allows me to squash small women and children, along with bludgeon grown men out-right.

He is not kidding...the damn thing nearly killed my dog...thank God for the detachable controllers.

Spy
Sep 16, 2002, 03:12 AM
On 2002-09-16 00:50, ABDUR101 wrote:

*yawn*

...I'd say ouch..but I think a resounding AHHHHH!!!! will do.

Uh... don't drop that sucker on your foot.

Ness
Sep 16, 2002, 06:50 AM
Heh Heh. I was thinking of getting an Xbox myself, but I don't have the time or the budget with all these good games coming to GC.

Kent
Sep 16, 2002, 08:11 AM
On 2002-09-16 04:50, Ness wrote:
Heh Heh. I was thinking of getting an Xbox myself, but I don't have the time or the budget with all these good games coming to GC.

There are a bunch of good games already on and coming to Xbox also.

On 2002-09-16 00:07, Spy wrote:

On 2002-09-15 23:56, ABDUR101 wrote:

My PlayStation 2 version of the game does things very similar, so it's not the Xbox. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2002-09-16 06:12 ]</font>

Nidarrock
Sep 16, 2002, 12:12 PM
oooohh a fight with game systems. You've got the big rock x-box, and then the small but agile GC. Anyway back on topic. At least rent Morrowind. I for one love that game. As for Halo if you like FPS I guess I should say buy it, I dont like FPS too much so I say rent it. Gun Valkyrie is hard but fun, I say buy it. Here is a game everyone should avoid like the plauge though. Obi-Wan. This game sucked, nice idea but done horribly. Lucky for me my wife wanted it, that way I can say I didn't buy it, oh wait I did, for x-mas. AHHHH!!

Sojo
Sep 16, 2002, 12:51 PM
hey, does Morrowind on the X-box come with the TES Construction set?

It is a damn good game, but I need that TES! It's improved my game on the PC no end, now that I've built my man a house...

BlackRose
Sep 16, 2002, 12:52 PM
Morrowind... don't rent it, cause the beginning of the game is boring beyond belief. Once you get somewhere, though, it's a teriffic game.

Halo is.... well, to each his own.

Gunvalkyrie is a must, I think. it's just different.

...and that's all I have for Xbox.

*cough*ps2 is better*cough*

Spy
Sep 16, 2002, 01:34 PM
On 2002-09-16 06:11, Kent wrote:

My PlayStation 2 version of the game does things very similar, so it's not the Xbox. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2002-09-16 06:12 ]</font>

Really. I just wanted Abdur to say it. I don't think the Xbox is all bad...

ABDUR101
Sep 16, 2002, 01:49 PM
On 2002-09-16 10:52, BlackRose wrote:
Morrowind... don't rent it, cause the beginning of the game is boring beyond belief. Once you get somewhere, though, it's a teriffic game.

Oh how low my Argonian custom class was, foraging for plants and fighting for his life to slay mudcrabs and scribs. And how I feared the waters filled with slaughter fish!

..but now, I'm practically a god, with most of the rare and legendary items, and health that instantly restores thanks to my |337 enchantments.

Vivec is a pooosie. =)

Really, buy it, it's well worth it. Unless you have it for the PC, because the X-box version doesn't have the TES.

Spy
Sep 16, 2002, 01:54 PM
Nice sig abdur!

BlackRose
Sep 16, 2002, 01:56 PM
Well, the trick is to do it fast. My Bosmer dude is only 10 days old and he's already got Umbra... but do do it that quick, you need to know where all the good stuff is, which you only learn by playing.

Don't get morrowind unless you have a nearly endless supply of free time.

ABDUR101
Sep 16, 2002, 02:21 PM
On 2002-09-16 11:54, Spy wrote:
Nice sig abdur!

It's an oldie by a goodie. Alot of pixel-by-pixel cutting and pasting =)

And yes, you do need alot of time in Morrowind. But once you get the ball rolling, things really speed up. Hell I can go across the entire of Morrowind in about 7 minutes because I know the routes of what leads where(silt strider, boat, mage guild teleportation routes).

And exploration is key to Morrowind. You gotta go look for dungeons and hidden ruins/shrines, all over, there's tons of stuff to find =)

Spy
Sep 16, 2002, 02:56 PM
Vicious is TEH SHICE!

WraithAkaMrak
Sep 16, 2002, 06:05 PM
I might have to think about Morrowind later. If I find that I like Morrowind as much as many of you, having both PSO Ep I & II AND Morrowind at the same time might be the death of me. Heheh. And I have classes to think about too.

But like I say, I look forward to playing Halo and Morrowind when I get a chance. I don't do a whole lot of multiplayer, so is the single player play in Halo just as great as multiplayer? (Or at least good enough on its own?)

Gunvalkyrie just doesn't seem like my kind of game, I guess. Not saying it's bad. Just not for me maybe.

I'm doing really well in GT 2002. I've heard a lot of reviews saying that it's harder early in the game, but I must be doing something right. I got my FIAT Punto and upgraded the exhaust right away. Now I'm up to the 2nd License Test (B License) and have my Punto decently upgraded (~157 hp now). I've gotten first on all the Official Races the first time, except one, which I got 2nd and went back to get 1st. Played quite a few of the other races (was it "Entry Race"?), and am doing really well. I've sold off 2 cars I've won, and got a third in the Garage. (All three have been FIATs, so apparently the car you drive determines the brand of car you can win.) I've got ~32,000 in the bank and looking for my next car purchase. Hard part is deciding which one to try. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (Been playing since Saturday evening. Day 33 or so in the game.)

ABDUR: I like the Bebop sig too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithAkaMrak on 2002-09-16 16:07 ]</font>

WraithAkaMrak
Sep 16, 2002, 06:30 PM
While on the subject of Morrowind, Ian over at Mac hall (http://www.machall.com) had this to say in his rant space today:

Lastly Morrowind has been proving very cool... I'm glad I finially got on board that game. I'm enjoying the game and the editors. The coding language has been a pain. I still can't get some of my scripts to work, but my custom race has been fun....(yes that's a Ian style mog in a skirt with a Buster Sword. Trust me, It's funny.) I'll probably post that as a download later. Or at least some screen shots. Till then I'll just continue to steal every pillow insight and and stabbing every gaurd who tells me to put on some pants.He links to a picture showing a room filled with what looks like over 100 pillows. Heheh.