PDA

View Full Version : Taken care of.

Curiosity
Jan 8, 2006, 12:53 AM
PC not booting properly, it stops at the 'intel inside' logo with "Press <Del> to Enter Setup" on the screen. It goes no further than this. It happened after a restart from the recent windows update. Pressing <Del> does nothing. As might be expected, it will not boot from the xp disc. Also the Bootable System Disk I made from AVG does not work, not sure if it just doesn't work or what (I don't remember testing it so it just may not work). Aside from it stopping there, everything else about the boot up seems normal.

XP Pro SP2, up-to-date before recent update. Last I knew virus free, unless something new enough that wasn't yet in the definitions.

Possible help?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Curiosity on 2006-01-09 00:15 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jan 8, 2006, 01:06 PM
Your master boot record may be corrupted. What you need to do is insert your Win XP disk and have it boot from that (may need to set your CD drive as the first boot drive in BIOS.) Follow the instructions listed under Using the Recovery Console to Replace the MBR (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_evwd.asp) (click on the "Restoring the MBR" link on the left hand side to access those instructions.) If that doesn't work, also try "Replacing the Boot Sector."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-01-08 10:10 ]</font>

Curiosity
Jan 9, 2006, 03:13 AM
Ok, problem solved. Turned out to be something funky with the USB hub on the monitor. Calling Dell about it tuesday.

Thanks for the time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Curiosity on 2006-01-09 00:16 ]</font>