PDA

View Full Version : So what is Odin's name translated in the Japanese version of

ZulfiqarTheIV
Jan 9, 2006, 05:56 PM
I'm just curious, you get a giant cookie if you give me an answer.

geewj
Jan 9, 2006, 06:18 PM
tairon (Tyrone)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: geewj on 2006-01-09 15:20 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 9, 2006, 11:12 PM
Furthermore, Alis is Alissa, Noah is Rutsu (Lutz) and Myau is virtually unchanged.

PSII:
Rolf = Eusis
Nei = Neisecond
Rudo (Rudolf Steiner) = Rutger Steiner
Amy (Dr. Amy Sage) = Anne Saga
Hugh (Hugh Thompson) = Huey Reane
Anna (Anna Zirski) = Amia Amirski
Kain (Josh Kain) = Kinds Ji An
Shir (Shir Gold) = Shilka Levinia

What I find interesting about the name changes made in localizing PSII into English is that Amy & Anna have essentially swapped names.

ShadowDragon28
Feb 27, 2007, 06:50 AM
Actually "Tylon" is an exceptable and IMO prefered translation of tai-ro-n.

IMO "Tyrone" just sounds off to me.

Nai_Calus
Feb 27, 2007, 07:40 AM
Howso? 'Tylon' to me seems as if it should be pronounced 'tie-lun', the u as in... Well, the prefix un, which doesn't match the sound of the Japanese characters at all. Nor is Tylon a proper name as far as I'm aware.

Tyrone, on the other hand, in every case I've heard it pronounced, since it is a proper real name and not too uncommon, is pronounced basically identical to how the Japanese characters would be pronounced, the lack of an actual distinguished 'r' sound in Japanese aside. (What we romanize as an 'r' is actually more of something midway between an r and an l. Regional accents can change to what we identify as an r or an l, but the 'ideal' pronunciation is more or less in the middle, perhaps a bit closer to r. )

Oh, it should be Alisa, not Alissa. Alissa is usually said with an 'i' as in 'if', I've known a couple of Alisas and they said it with an 'i' making the same sound as a long 'e', which matches the pronunciation of the Japanese characters.

Tylon undoubtedly comes from the PS Collection artbook, which is bandied as a sign of it's officialness, but one must remember that this is also the same artbook that gives our pink-clad heroine's name as Alicer, Myau as 'Myaw', Eusis as 'Yousis'...

(Should also be Rudger, not Rutger, I suppose, it's 'RUDOGAA'... Unless that name is pronounced differently than one would think looking at it.)

PSIV:

Alys Brangwin: Lila/Lyla Brangwen
Chaz Ashley: Rudy Ashleigh
Hahn Malay: Same
Rune Walsh: Thray Walsh
Gryz: Pike/Pyke
Rika: Fal
Wren: Forren
Demi: Freyna
Raja: Su Raja
Kyra Tierney: Shess Tierney

PSIII, I ain't touchin'. By the time they got to the third generation it's like they're just stringing random characters together. XD Fuin, Ruin, Soin, Shiin... For once, the English version improved on the names. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sinue_v2
Feb 27, 2007, 08:19 AM
As I understand it, Tylone is the proper romanisation of the name. This is supported by the fact that "Tyler" of PSII fame is supposed to be a distant decendant of Tylone - and their name sounding phonically similar was a direct and intentional reference. (according to the World of Phantasy Star book, as translated by R. Capaowski)

A2K
Feb 28, 2007, 04:28 AM
As far as Tyrone/Tylon/Tylone are concerned... in my book, all three are "close enough." The translation leaves a little elbow room for this type of thing, so to speak. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-02-28 01:29 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Mar 1, 2007, 04:35 AM
True, though one does tend to, if a logical choice exists in one's language for a transliteration to go with that rather than something made up, heh.

ShadowDragon28
Mar 3, 2007, 07:27 AM
Tylon as in the Lon pronounced the same as 'lon' in Babylon.

I still think "Tyrone" doesn't fit the character at all....IMO " Tylon " does,
especially since it ryhmes with Cylon.. hm... i could see an axe weilding Cast Fortetecher named Tylon... he he he

Nai_Calus
Mar 3, 2007, 07:45 AM
...Yes, but even if you accept 'Tylon', it still wouldn't be pronounced that way, due to the nature of Japanese. A Japanese 'a' sound would most closely approximate that, but even then wouldn't match. Regardless, the 'o' is used, which is similar to an English long o as in 'alone'.