PDA

View Full Version : New Macs

Dek
Jan 10, 2006, 03:27 PM
I know you guys are probably sick of hearing about new stuff from Apple. However, this was a little interesting...

So Mac World San Fransisco was today...

and with that said, There were a few announcements...

-iLife '06
-iWork '06
-new version of .Mac
-More video content from ABC sports, ESPN, and Disney
-Content from SNL ("We need more cowbell" http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

And last, but certainly not least...

The introduction of the first two Apple computers that will use Intel's new processor, Intel Core Duo

iMac: http://www.apple.com/imac/
MacBook Pro: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Here are the specs for the iMac (both the 17" and the 20" )

17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440x900 resolution
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 cache
512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Price: $1,299.00

20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680x1050 resolution
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 cache
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Price: $1,699.00

And now the specs for the MacBook Pro. Surprisingly, this one only has one display option, but two separate models due to processor speed and other configurations...

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
1.67GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 Cache
667MHz frontside bus
80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Price: $1,999.00

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 Cache
667MHz frontside bus
1GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
Price: $2,499.00

NOTE: All information (and more info) was from Apple.com

Blitzkommando
Jan 10, 2006, 03:55 PM
Interresting, not particularly exciting to myself, but those are some interresting specs. It seems like great stuff, until you get to the video cards. While the X1600 is nice, it is a rather weak contender when you consider the cost for it compared to the power of the X850. I only mention this because I know that Mac is trying to up their gaming standards.

And while I do believe moving to Intel is a good choice in the long run, I would also like to see some modified AMD machines running MacOS as well. Ah well, I guess for those wanting nVidia and AMD you gotta stick with Windows, Linux, among other OS choices.

My only concern for Apple right now is that if they do end up releasing a boxed version of OSX for Intel machines (which looks quite plausable right now) is they might be going in too far over their heads. It could simply increase their market so fast that they won't have chance to meet demand. Definitely a good step, if you will, moving to Intel. Are the days of fully custom built Macs upon us? I for one would consider the OS if just for playing around with it.

EDIT: I think I should elaborate on the X1600 vs. X850. Even though the X850 is an older card, fully devoid of SM3 support, it is still a very powerful card. The X1600 is a simple mid-range card. This is especially true with it being the watered down 128MB version of the X1600. I'm not fully in tune with Mac compatable hardware, but I believe the CompUSA store has X800 series, if not X850 for Mac hardware. Now that Mac is teamed up with Intel if they start producing PCI-Express based machines we could see some very powerful hardware come out Mac-side.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-01-10 13:00 ]</font>

Dek
Jan 10, 2006, 04:34 PM
On 2006-01-10 12:55, Norvekh wrote:
And while I do believe moving to Intel is a good choice in the long run, I would also like to see some modified AMD machines running MacOS as well. Ah well, I guess for those wanting nVidia and AMD you gotta stick with Windows, Linux, among other OS choices.
To be honest, I also wanted to see what Apple would have done with AMD processors (IIRC, didn't AMD come out with a dual core processor before Intel?). Also, I do remember nVidia cards being used for the PowerMac G5 and Powerbook G4...

-PowerMac G5 gave you options of the 6600 series (128 and 256MB), 7800 at 256MB, and the Quadro FX 4500 at 512MB (Don't know if the Quadro is part of the nVidia series. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge ;_; )
-Powerbook gave you options of the GeForce Go5200 at 64MB of DDR memory (only available for the 12" model ;_; )

My only concern for Apple right now is that if they do end up releasing a boxed version of OSX for Intel machines (which looks quite plausable right now) is they might be going in too far over their heads. It could simply increase their market so fast that they won't have chance to meet demand. Definitely a good step, if you will, moving to Intel. Are the days of fully custom built Macs upon us? I for one would consider the OS if just for playing around with it.
Actually, I did find something in regards to that on MacRumors.com...

MacRumors.com:
10:16 am 10.4.4 is entirely native on Intel processor. All the applications included are universal and native on Intel.
As far as custom built Macs, one can only hope...

EDIT: I think I should elaborate on the X1600 vs. X850. Even though the X850 is an older card, fully devoid of SM3 support, it is still a very powerful card. The X1600 is a simple mid-range card. This is especially true with it being the watered down 128MB version of the X1600. I'm not fully in tune with Mac compatable hardware, but I believe the CompUSA store has X800 series, if not X850 for Mac hardware. Now that Mac is teamed up with Intel if they start producing PCI-Express based machines we could see some very powerful hardware come out Mac-side.

Ah, I get it now...

Also, I do recall the PowerMac G5 using PCI Express for the video cards (two 4x slots, one 8x slot, and one 16x slot).

Of course, if you're referring to the Intel Macs, ignore that last comment http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

SorceressofTime
Jan 11, 2006, 05:59 AM
I'm using the new iMac G5 atm. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif LOL

Dek
Jan 11, 2006, 04:28 PM
On 2006-01-11 02:59, SorceressofTime wrote:
I'm using the new iMac G5 atm. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif LOL

>_>
<_<

Forgive me if I don't see the relevance instantly...

Anyways, I was looking up 10.4.4 (Or, for those of you playing the home game, OS X Tiger for Intel Macs) and I noticed this little program...

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

Obviously, it's named after the Rosetta stone, and is used to translate any programs that were PowerPC processor based so that they work on the Intel Macs. That, and because of the Intel Macs, new software will have the new Universal logo (meaning it works on both processors).

After seeing this stuff, I must say I am impressed with the precautions and actions that Apple and Intel took before they released the new Macs.

Thoughts on this?