PDA

View Full Version : My School Is Stupid.

Otis_Kat
Jan 10, 2006, 04:23 PM
It all started 2 weeks before winter break, two kids were found giving and getting a blow job on the bus,(retarded I know)they get expelled. A bomb threat is made to the school locking down the entire school, they get a week suspendsion.

Today they suddenly decide to make us wear school ID tags around our necks WITHOUT TELLING US AHEAD OF TIME. Anyone who didn't have one(almost all the school) was sent to the principal's office. I didn't have it around my neck so i was sent down. When they ask me why I don't have it I pull into my pocket to get it out of my wallet. As soon as I reach down, THE POLICE OFFICER PULLS OUT HIS GUN AND THREATENS TO SHOOT If I move. So then they make me get frisked, conclude I have no dfangerous objects, AND SUSPEND ME FOR A WEEK. Fucking Bullshit...I'm not even in a run down city school, my school has just gone bonkers over the last month.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Otis_Kat on 2006-01-10 13:24 ]</font>

Wyndham
Jan 10, 2006, 06:41 PM
Your school sounds really stupid. If I were you, I'd try contesting it, or bring these things to the attention of the higher-ups after researching what the policies are.
If you're still suspended, who cares, just study.
I hope things work out.

InfinityXXX
Jan 10, 2006, 11:08 PM
Man, that sounds messed up. Bring that up to an higher level. You can probably sue for them pulling out a gun on you like that.

Ketchup345
Jan 10, 2006, 11:38 PM
On 2006-01-10 20:08, InfinityXXX wrote:
You can probably sue for them pulling out a gun on you like that.
I am unsure if anything can be done with the officer. (Great, am I forgetting my CJ stuff already? It hasn't even been 3 weeks http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif). He could try telling a police supervisor what happened, and then it is a bit iffy after that (depends on a few factors such as laws and what a possible investigaion turns up. An investigation would likely rule in favor of the officer though, as if I remember correctly {which I should} going for a pocket without warning and especially with a fast movement does allow an officer to pull out their firearm and use it if their warning is not followed).
Under those circumstances, it probably would have been best if he told the school staff and the officer he was going to his pocket for his ID.

The school system does sound messed up, we've had bomb threats at my lower school system, but we were never forced to use IDs and we only had secrity guards (I don't know if they were armed, but if they were it likely wasn't anything more than pepperspray). How could you wear your ID around your neck? Was everyone given a lanyard with the ID? Did they supply holders when you arrived?
Why were you suspended? Not wearing the ID around your neck? Was everyone who didn't wear the ID suspended for a week? Or just you because you went for your pocket?

Do try to find out what can be done at a higher office (school board I mean), as you weren't doing anything wrong, since you were given little to no warning. Also, how many schools of each type does your school system have (ex: 1 high school, 2 middle, 5 elementary; 2 high, 3 middle, 15 elementary; etc.)?

You likely didn't know how jumpy the officer would be, but do note for the future that when on the job police do not like people going into their pockets much.

Do note that many things depend on state and local laws, as laws are often different between regions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2006-01-10 20:40 ]</font>

opaopajr
Jan 12, 2006, 01:09 AM
what utter bullshit. sounds like you live in a 'police state' school. i'd tell your parents and possibly decide to see a lawyer. a little media play to shame the school for going *out of it's fucking mind* would also be a good thing. changing rules without notice, not even to apparently parents, inconsistent application of penalties, entrapment, excessive use of force, there's tons of shit that these people are doing that is highly questionable.

honestly, all of this is a job for higher authorities, so you need to take this to your parents/guardians. you shouldn't let this stand. i am afraid at this rate someone is going to get seriously hurt at your school. spastic, fear based, authoritarian rule is no way to run a school. this is civilian life, more specifically childhood, not a theater of war. therefore this sort of institutional behavior is inexcusable.

darthsaber9x9
Jan 12, 2006, 12:25 PM
Oh man, forget all that laywer crap. Sell your story to the papers, that'll get you the money you need without the legal fees!

As well as highlight all the bullshit yadda yadda yadda.

Charmander02
Jan 12, 2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah all cops are crooked now a days. Thats why im going to be a cop to actualy help people and not pull my gun out on highskool kids. But anyways my skools kinda the same i go to a Christian skool and if you do anything more than hold hands with a girl you get in shit. So yea i feel your pain.

Ketchup345
Jan 12, 2006, 08:46 PM
On 2006-01-12 17:34, Charmander02 wrote:
Yeah all cops are crooked now a days. Thats why im going to be a cop to actualy help people and not pull my gun out on highskool kids. But anyways my skools kinda the same i go to a Christian skool and if you do anything more than hold hands with a girl you get in shit. So yea i feel your pain.
After the bomb thread, the officer was not going to take any chances with anyone's safety, and was actually probably right in drawing his weapon. He didn't shoot, and did what probably should have been done in a scenario like that. What would you have done differently in that situation after going to a police acadamy and/oor going to school for criminal justice? I would have drawn and told him to stop as well, especially with what had happened earlier that week (bomb threat). Officers are trained to keep people safe, even if it (sadly) means suspect(s) may get harmed/killed.

Also, not all cops are crooked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2006-01-12 17:47 ]</font>

WraithVerge
Jan 12, 2006, 09:26 PM
It's not the cop's fault here. As Ketchup explained, he was doing his job.

The school administration suspending him for a week is the fucking stupid part. That reminds me of the time I went to hihg-school wearing sandles when they had mandatory uniforms. It was my very first offense ever and I just about got suspended for a few days...

Dangerous55
Jan 13, 2006, 02:15 PM
The officer was showing excessive force if anything, if he was close, I don't know all the details though.

WraithVerge
Jan 13, 2006, 02:27 PM
On 2006-01-13 11:15, Dangerous55 wrote:
The officer was showing excessive force if anything, if he was close, I don't know all the details though.

Maybe so, but with so many school shootings and whatnot, I honestly can't blame the officer. He might have over-reacted, yes, but I still say the administration is to fault here in their suspension of the OP (unless it was the cop who suggested the OP be suspended, then I retract my defense and call him the moron).

Dangerous55
Jan 13, 2006, 03:08 PM
On 2006-01-13 11:27, WraithVerge wrote:

Maybe so, but with so many school shootings and whatnot, I honestly can't blame the officer. He might have over-reacted, yes, but I still say the administration is to fault here in their suspension of the OP (unless it was the cop who suggested the OP be suspended, then I retract my defense and call him the moron).

Nah I don't blame him but he could grab the kid if he had too.

But this backs the cop up:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/13/school.shooting.ap/index.html

Ketchup345
Jan 13, 2006, 03:35 PM
At most, I'd say it is probably borderline excessive force depending on local laws.

If needed, I could take a look at the local laws, the full story, and what my notes say about this type of situation. As far as I can tell, the cop was right.

I doubt it could be excessive force since the cop did not shot, did not harm the poster (only touched him for the frisking probably), and gave a warning not to move.

If the original poster is concerned about possible abuse of power by the officer, the best thing he could do is look at all applicable laws and court decisions.

opaopajr
Jan 22, 2006, 04:06 AM
please... how could the cop possibly be right. if he did his job right and was that paranoid about what was going on he would have patted down the kid before letting him into the office. the simple fact that that did not happen, and then trying to cover up his lack of protocol on heightened alert by an egregious use of force, is just wholly telling about the incompetence and sheer *dangerous* lack of training and restraint on this officer's part.

there's excellent cops in the world, and they do many things right, and they almost never get the credit they deserve. this one is not one of them. and his behavior should not get a pass. and this isn't even starting on the incompetence on the school's part... remember, spastic, fear-based reaction is in no way a part of good peace officer work. any long time cop will tell you that. that's what *preparedness* and *level headed thinking* is for. what this cop did was textbook incompetent hothead. no excuse.

Niki
Jan 22, 2006, 04:44 AM
Welcome to the new USA.

But seriously, if you know the officer's name, you can call the precinct office or whatever and get the name of the Sergeant who heads his squad, then issue a formal statement of complaint. You may also want to consider submitting the complaint in writing to the office of the Police Captain or Commissioner referencing the conversation with said Sgt. Finally, i'd recommend getting the names and numbers of your local state assembly members, and send them a letter telling them exactly what happened. After all this, someone may actually apologise to you. No promises though.

Ketchup345
Jan 22, 2006, 02:08 PM
As a studen in the criminal justice field, from the description, I couldn't actually see anythign wrong. He was acting for the safety of everyone in the room.

Why would he have needed to pat down every student before th interview? He didn't need to, as at the time there was no threat (beginning of the interview). Do cops pat you down before giving you a speeding ticket? No, but when you go to your pocket or you glove compartment for your wallet and other information, odds are they have their hand on their gun.
He handled every interview individually, and used what he felt was appropriate for the situation. The threat only appeared after the poster went for his pocket.

Look at the laws, and see if the cop was beyond what he should have been. Contact the station, see what they think.

What was the cop hiding? Everyone in the room knew he drew his weapon and he may even have had to file a report. If anyone thought it was over the line, then they should look into what is appropriate in that area.

The main focus should not be on what the cop did, but likely what the school system is doing.

Also, it would help a lot if the original poster replied with updates.

Otis_Kat
Jan 22, 2006, 04:45 PM
I wasnt pissed about the gun Im pissed that the school suspended me for a week over this.

opaopajr
Jan 24, 2006, 09:21 PM
you can have your hand on the gun all you freakin' want during a parking ticket, but you don't, and i quote:

"As soon as I reach down, THE POLICE OFFICER PULLS OUT HIS GUN AND THREATENS TO SHOOT If I move."

especially after a request of where the ID is. if you ask him, "where are your car insurance papers?" and he reaches in his glove compartment, or beneath his car seat, or wherever you don't then pull out your gun and threaten to shoot if he moves. there's no probable cause behind that. you asked him to produce a document, which logically entails movement to fulfill the request, he moves to comply, you spazz and then threaten him for compliance. wholly idiotic and undefendable. if you were that afraid you would have had him step out of the car first to pat him down, before asking him questions that allowed free and sensible movement to comply. got it? improper protocol.

my friend is a criminal justice graduate and i have other friends and relatives who are in the criminal justice field, as cops, paralegals, and lawyers. this situation ain't ok. was there probable cause that the kid was a threat before coming into the office? then you take the precaution before inquiry begins to neutralize any threat -- thus you pat the kid down. you don't let the kid in assuming under probable cause he's no threat, then in the middle change your mind and threaten during compliance with a request. read it again (as incomplete as it may be it's more than enough to be accusatory of bad police work).

"I didn't have it around my neck so i was sent down. When they ask me why I don't have it I pull into my pocket to get it out of my wallet. As soon as I reach down, THE POLICE OFFICER PULLS OUT HIS GUN AND THREATENS TO SHOOT If I move."

sure, children may not be treated as 100% legal citizens, and their status not 100% protected under the 4th amendment (protection against illegal search and seizure). that just means that the cop had more tools to his disposal to operate proper safety than with an adult. instead he chose to escalate the situation to dangerous levels. he could have searched the kid before entrance, he could have just left his hand on the gun instead of pulling it out and make a stand-down order, yet he did none of these things. and the school, atop all this stupidity, punishes the kid for trying to just follow along with this madness to the best of his ability and get away.

if i was a parent i would want heads on pikes. this is wholly unacceptable. no sane, freedom-loving jury in america would willingly acceed to these abuses and subject their precious children to the whims of a mad hatter for a principal and a red queen for a guard. we are america, goddammit, not some piddly-ant, pisspot, banana republic, police-state, dictatorship -- or, well, we used to be until a huge segment of america became such spineless cowards in the face of even the grossest abuses by the smallest amounts of authority. utterly disgraceful. the lawsuit should've been filed yesterday...

Ketchup345
Jan 24, 2006, 10:04 PM
We probably don't know enough about the situation, especially since there was little detail given. And like I said before, if he cared, he should look at local laws. Also the poster did not specify whether or not he was asked to provide the ID then, and if he went into his pocket without being asked and without saying that the ID was in his wallet, the officer may have thought soemthing was wrong. We don't know enough about the situation and local laws to do much more than suggest looking at the laws IF HE CARES ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED THEN (which he said he didn't).

He does care about what the school did, which was wrong. Did you (the original poster) talk with the school district? What did they say? Are other schools of the same level doing anything like this in your district?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2006-01-24 19:08 ]</font>

Daikarin
Jan 26, 2006, 05:39 AM
Write a book about it. Seriously.

Tkinc
Feb 3, 2006, 02:33 PM
lol. This is serious, where do you live and what school? Have you considered transferring- wait stupid idea- anyways, that experience must have been scary for you... But yeah, take it up with the board- it sometimes works... and other times... well you know what I'd say right?

Otis_Kat
Feb 3, 2006, 07:10 PM
My School Is Stupid 2: New Beginnings

I'm sitting in second period Biology and get called to the high school office. After about twenty minutes of waiting I get called in and am told I've been caught skipping my thrid period studio art class, Darn. O wait...I DONT TAKE STUDIO ART. After showing the principal my schedule, and her checking the database shwoing her I had Health that period I still got detention because it's "school policy". O and to top it all off she wrote me a pass for thrid period to Studio Art.

cherry
Feb 4, 2006, 02:46 PM
your school sucks your princapal sucks o yeah 2 words transfer schools

cherry
Feb 4, 2006, 02:47 PM
your school sucks your princapal sucks o yeah 2 words transfer schools

cherry
Feb 4, 2006, 02:51 PM
whoops

Scopes
Feb 5, 2006, 03:18 PM
Sue for harassment. But that is funny, especially sinc e the people that get sent down to offices, and the police just HAPPEN to frisk them... without probable cause..., usually don't have weapons, but the kids who are motoring around with a backpack almost as big as they are...

Anyway, really, get the 'cops information, bring it up with his chief, Find the terms of yer suspension (why, not having an ID usually can't be made suspendable for a first offence, due to the state), don't give people blow jobs on the bus (I know, you didn't, but some people get the idea after it happens >.>), and if you make a bomb threat, go through with it. ;D

Or just get a conciled weapons permit, and if someone gives you crap, pop it out, and when you have to fill paper-work on it, you make it so you believed yer life was in danger. If yer 16, it IS possible to get one. As to how, I'm not legally supposed to tell you that. Stupid job I sometimes go to. *grr*

Otis_Kat
Feb 5, 2006, 03:49 PM
I am 16 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif too bad you cant tell me *hint hint*wink wink*nudge nudge*smash smash*

o and it totally slipped my mind. I got the cop barred from working at the school(dont know if he was fully suspended from law enforcment)and they decided not to count the suspension on my record, so im still in the running for perfect attendence, lol.

Scopes
Feb 5, 2006, 04:04 PM
Well, sounds like things mostly worked out then.

Anyway, all I'll say is check your state's bounty laws ;D could be a great job if you have inititive, you just have to take quite the annoying class about every 2 months to keep any PERMITS up to date *winkwink

Really though, that's pushing what I can say, ^.^