PDA

View Full Version : "I Wanna Be The Guy Too!"/Decisions

PJ
Jan 13, 2006, 09:28 PM
Part 1)

You're not better than the human race, so don't say the human race sucks. (This is just a very general idea)

Part 2)

Today, my friend Waldo (That's what I call her http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif) was looking at a university booklet thing. I felt bad because she said there wasn't much demand for what she really wanted to do, so in one day she completely planned what she needed to do, but not what she wanted to. Which reminded me; I'm almost at the beginning of the second semester of Grade 11, this year is moving by so fast, and I need to make a huge decision.

What am I gonna do? I have big plans; either a Psychology program, or a nutrition one. But, there's 2 problems with that. 1, I need to decide between now and a year (I don't even have the half a year, since I need to apply early too). 2, I'm also not the most academic student. I need to work harder to achieve this, and I don't know if I'll be able to.

Also, I don't want to leave high school, it's just been an adventure full of drama and crap that it's actually been fun. And I'm gonna really miss my friends. Especially since I don't get to graduate with them. SInce I have to move this year, and I really don't want to, but I don't have any power in it. And to make it worse, one of my friends is leaving on a student exchange trip next month, and will be gone for 3 months, and then I'll be gone 2 months after that.

It's just... I'm not a decision maker.

Saiffy
Jan 13, 2006, 09:47 PM
Alright, I was thinking about totally refraining from replying. But I dunno what changed my mind.

You're not better than the human race, so don't say the human race sucks. (This is just a very general idea)
At least I'm better than you...! :wacko:

Today, my friend Waldo (That's what I call her :wacko:) was looking at a university booklet thing. I felt bad because she said there wasn't much demand for what she really wanted to do, so in one day she completely planned what she needed to do, but not what she wanted to. Which reminded me; I'm almost at the beginning of the second semester of Grade 11, this year is moving by so fast, and I need to make a huge decision.
Well, I gots not much to say on this. Frankly I'd say to go do what you want to do, but if she wants to do something that'd be easier(as in, getting an actual job with whatever), then I guess it's her choice? Although I realise this was just a side kinda thing.

What am I gonna do? I have big plans; either a Psychology program, or a nutrition one. But, there's 2 problems with that. 1, I need to decide between now and a year (I don't even have the half a year, since I need to apply early too). 2, I'm also not the most academic student. I need to work harder to achieve this, and I don't know if I'll be able to.
Well. A part of growing up is realising you have to make decisions for yourself, and then the next part is actually doing it. Sorry to say, but you gotta "grow up" and make this choice yourself, what do you really think you wanna do? It's your call, there's not much reason complaining about it, it won't help anything.

You really seem to enjoy the idea of both of them, but you can only really do one for a living. I know you can do either if you really work hard, marks aren't a problem unless you make them one.

Also, I don't want to leave high school, it's just been an adventure full of drama and crap that it's actually been fun. And I'm gonna really miss my friends. Especially since I don't get to graduate with them. SInce I have to move this year, and I really don't want to, but I don't have any power in it. And to make it worse, one of my friends is leaving on a student exchange trip next month, and will be gone for 3 months, and then I'll be gone 2 months after that.
Well, this is totally out of your power. As I'm sure you know, although I thought it wasn't fully decided you'd be moving away from Toronto yet?(Unless it was decided since I last talked to you about it?). With the invention of the internet, you'll still be in touch, and maybe one day visit them all again. If there's a will, there's a way!

That being said, I can kinda understand why this is such a big deal for you. But I'm assuming graduation is a personal accomplisment! :> Although having friends there would be nice, at least they'd be proud and be there in spirit!

It's just... I'm not a decision maker.
Time to change :P

Altough, exams are just around the corner, I'd say at least put off worrying about this til after that. And if you do end up moving, enjoy the last bit of the ride while you can, and maybe you'll move to Winnipeg :wacko:

Edit: And since I've been saying this to everyone, and I haven't had a chance to talk to you today. Reply to my rant motherfucker! >:(

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saiffy on 2006-01-13 18:49 ]</font>

Maridia
Jan 14, 2006, 01:48 AM
I wasn't a decision maker when I was your age either, PJ. I'm still not much of one if I can avoid it, but you'll find you need to become one, and fast. It's amazing how quickly you have to grow up in the span of a couple of years when you start hitting graduation. Buck up, prepare yourself, and keep on moving. Don't second guess your decisions. Weigh your options, think carefully, but in the end, you can only make one choice, so.. make it count. Take care and good luck. ;o

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 14, 2006, 08:28 AM
I agree that decision making isn't everyone's best personality trait and people are not always good at it.

I can't make one to save my life sometimes it seems.

Talking aloud about it to anyone or even everyone can help, instead of always only listening to what the people around you tell you.

They're usually pushing and prodding and questioning and putting you on the spot right?

When they say they're looking out for your best interests and aren't exactly showing it, take that as they are nosey and want to influence you.

Make the best decision for yourself, with proper time to think it out and determine the cause and effect of the decision.

Yeah, quiet thinking time. We all need it.

Regarding mistakes, you can always learn from them so don't be afraid to fail. Things can change over the course of the next few years, sometimes drastically, so move on decisions one at a time and it should all fall in place.

Basically life's a jigsaw puzzle and you need to find all the fitting pieces.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2006-01-14 05:29 ]</font>

Wyndham
Jan 14, 2006, 09:43 AM
How I see it, you've already done a lot of work to get this far. And it would be a waste to not try, right? If you try, you won't be constantly wondering if you should have.
I unfortunately can't offer advice beyond that, because I still have plans to decide on myself, too. Good luck, and I'm sorry if any of these things were already said.

Neith
Jan 16, 2006, 08:29 PM
Just put in all the effort you can, try to do what you WANT to do, not anything else. It'll be worth it in the long run if you ended up in a career doing something you really enjoy, rather than a grinding 9-5 that you hate.

About not being very academic- I wouldn't worry about it. I kid you not, but even after aceing my exams in Maths at school, and having a 3D Design Diploma, I could not for the life of me work out a simple subtraction sum earlier. It annoyed me so much, that I refused to do anything else until I worked it out. When I say simple, it was something stupid like 72-28=? There's always extra help if you need it, but its upto you to take it.

Once you've gotten applied to your next education place, try your hardest not to slack off.. I've done that, and now I'm having real troubles with the workloads and deadlines I have to deal with.

Remember there's usually an alternative if things do go pear-shaped. One of my mum's friends didn't go to university, but he's worked hard , and managed to get a great job in the Royal Air Force. Now, he's an Air Traffic Controller, and earns a nice pay-packet.

One last thing. Don't think further education is the be-all and end all, it isn't. Unfortunately, in this world, you have to work hard, and out-do everyone else if you want the best jobs.

That's all i can say really, I'm kinda in a similar boat (doing a course, but not sure if this is really what I want to do). There's no wrong decision, just make a careful choice.