PDA

View Full Version : New to PSO

IDI_Foxhound
Jan 14, 2006, 08:44 PM
I was in my local games shop today and PSO caught my eye, after reading the box I decided that I must have the game so I bought it. Anyway I’ve been out to the pub so haven’t even put it on yet (will in the morning) but I thought I would find a forum to ask a few questions about what type of class I should play before I start, also would anyone be able to explain the mag and section id thing to me?

Anyway this properly doesn’t make much sense as I’ve had a few more drinks then I had realised.

Looking forward to your replies

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IDI_Foxhound on 2006-01-14 17:45 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 14, 2006, 08:56 PM
Hey there, welcome to the site and the General forum.

PSO is like a marathon or a career to many.

Its not a game you "finish" within less than 40 hours or so.

The character classes are varied and have a bit of depth concerning strength stats and abilities.

Don't just rush in and pick whoever looks the coolest.
Well actually you can and try out a few of the characters before deciding to stick with one or the other.

Preferrably one FOrce type, one RAnger type, and one HUnter type.

The name you give your character determines their Section ID, which determines which items you will be able to find throughout the game.

The guides here are a big help, as well as the item database and findings. Have a set plan of what you want to get and do and you'll be set!

Best of luck to you and questions you have concerning items and or equipment can go in the aforementioned Mag, Item, and Section ID discussion forum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2006-01-14 17:57 ]</font>

Charmander02
Jan 14, 2006, 08:58 PM
Well it depends on you for who you want to be, i reccomend not using a force, maybe a hunter or a ranger,just because they are easier, there is more info on the guides. As for the section id's they are what decides what kinds of items you find, i recommend looking for the items that you want then figuring out what sec id suits what you're looking for. Mags are these little thins that follow you around, you can feed them and the more you feed it the stronger you'll get. eg for every POW level your mag gains you gain 2 power,same goes for def(defense) dex(ATA) and mind (MST), so its best to max out your mag (lv.200) for a hunter or ranger i suggest you raise your mag to a 5-def, 145-pow,50-dex and 0-mind. There are also rare mags, by how you raise it and what char/sec id you raise it with.Again all this info is under the guides. Good luck and welcome to PSO!

IDI_Foxhound
Jan 14, 2006, 09:03 PM
i was thinking of trying hunter or ranger anyway as the magic side of things doesn’t really interest me, i would prefer to play a human then a robot (does this effect the game much?) and i have absolutely no idea what types of items i should be looking for so i am still unsure on what section id i should go for, thanks for the replies though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I was also thinking about getting a new memory card for my GC, what size should i go for and how many characters will i be able to hold on it?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 14, 2006, 09:08 PM
For memory cards no matter their size(saying here 1st party Nintendo memory cards, not third party mega size ones) you can only put 4 characters per card.

59 =4 characters
251 =4 characters
and so on and so forth.

Human characters have a Material limit of 250 concerning stat boosting.

Robot characters, referred to commonly as Casts(males)/ Caseals(females) have a maximum limit of 150.

Human Hunter and Ranger characters can use techniques/magic albeit at a lower level than the FOrce class, no matter their race.

Casts/Caseals can use three types of traps instead of techniques:

-Fire traps
-Freeze traps
-Confuse traps

Ketchup345
Jan 14, 2006, 09:08 PM
Mag: Device used to boost stats (Defense/Power/Accuracy/Mind Strength in that order; many will type a/b/c/d or DEF/POW/DEX/MIND). For every 1 DEF point you gain 1 DFP, 1 POW you gain 2 ATP, 1 DEX you gain 0.5 ATA, and 1 MIND you gain 2 MST.
More on Mags here (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=957).

Section ID determines what type of items you find. ID is determined by your characters name. There are guides here that will aide you in finding what ID would be appropriate for your characters (though many suggest having Redria, Skyly, Whitill, Purplenum, and Yellowboze as priorities).
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=452

Humans and Newmans have the ability to use techniques (spells), and Androids have traps (damage, confuse, and freeze). Humans can use 250 stat boosting Materials, Newmans and Androids can only use 150 Materials (but Newmans get TP {MP/Mana} regeneration and Andorids get HP generation; both generations are slow though). Traps have their advantages, but also their disadvantages (Humans and Newmans can use Resta which refills part of your HP, Androids have to use healing items or rely on teamates for Resta. Traps can't be used at bosses, techniques can).

IDI_Foxhound
Jan 14, 2006, 09:14 PM
So what section id would be the best to go for if i was to play a ranger? and what type of mag would i build/make?

i know this will of been asked before and for that im sorry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Forte1224
Jan 14, 2006, 09:16 PM
Well, people have their own opinions about section ID's but this is what majority think:

Hunters: Skyly, Oran
Rangers: Purplenum, Greenil
Forces: Yellowboze, Redria

The rest of the section ID's are up to you. I was stupid enough to choose Bluefull, but I like it no matter who thinks.

IDI_Foxhound
Jan 14, 2006, 09:33 PM
anyone notice that the name yellowboze also gives the section id yellowboze? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif have to love the small things in life

Xero_Silvera
Jan 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
To fill in some blanks for you..
In addition to not being able to use spells (techniques), androids get the bonus to see hidden traps. I'v been a long time cast player but most people don't see the trap vision as a real big advantage. Casts are also immune to paralysis and poisons. Insta-death, freeze and especially electrocution still apply. If you should play a Newman or a Human, you'll always have techniques to back you up. Theres healing and poison cures for every human and newman.. So poison isn't a real big problem.
As for other really useful tips all PSOers should know.. When you get near an enemy, trap or other hostile things.. your character will begin to walk instead of running. That makes them far easier to hit, most traps will hit you before you can get out of the way... By pressing the start button and running, the game will let you continue to run. Another useful tip is the shortcut menu. If you're using a Cube, the shortcut menu is accessed by holding the right trigger and pressing 'Y', I'm not sure about old dreamcast or box PSO, though. The last bit of advice I can offer is when playing a ranger or hunter.. Hitting multiple times is ALWAYS better than a single. Some weapons that are single hitters are handguns, rifles, sabers and katanas. Some weapons that are multihitters are shots (shotgun-like), swords, daggers, mechguns.
Good luck in PSO and happy hunting!
Oh, and remember: The game gets alot better when you reach ultimate.. Scenery and monster changes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

IDI_Foxhound
Jan 14, 2006, 09:43 PM
what kind of time frame would we be talking to get to ultimate?

Xero_Silvera
Jan 14, 2006, 10:12 PM
Well you can advance in difficulties without playing ep 2.. And it takes me 40 mins for forest, 1:30 for caves, 1hr for mine, 1:45 for ruin.. I'm a bit slow. So about 4-5 hours per difficulty level, considering you move at my slow speed. At times it may seem excessive but ult is so definately worth the trouble. Oh, and feed your mag as often as you can remember ;p The faster it reaches 200 the better you will do. I always made a nonplanned mag.. I just fed it whatever to raise power on my HUcaseal.. Once I had a 200 mag with alot of Power boost... I started a planned rare mag with specific stats. Higher power means you can equip melee weapons sooner for Hunters. (ATA for rangers, MST for Forces)

EDIT: yeah, those times are probably inaccurate.. heh. My first time around I had 45+ hours and I was level 90 by the time I reached ult. This time I was 28ish hours and level 61!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xero_Silvera on 2006-01-14 19:15 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 15, 2006, 01:12 AM
On 2006-01-14 18:43, IDI_Foxhound wrote:

The fastest way is to only play Episode 1, yes.

You will have to defeat the last boss of Episode 1 in Normal mode, Hard mode, and Very Hard mode.

Then you will be able to play in both Episode 1 Ultimate and Episode 2 Ultimate.

HUnters under most circumstances should be the fastest to get to Ultimate, then RAngers, then FOrces considering this will be your first character and you won't have some nice items to help you along the way (handed down by higher leveled characters).

Charmander02
Jan 16, 2006, 05:40 PM
[/quote]
On 2006-01-14 18:43, IDI_Foxhound wrote:

[/quote]

Its just not about beting/getting in to ult mode as PSO isnt a game where after you beat it you just put it away. As for you're question, well it really depends on you, some people just rush everthing as Ult mode is where you get all the rare items (red boxes), but me i pfefer to wait until i know i can handle an area before i go into it. I usually beat all of the Hunters Guild missions then beat the difficulty just because they're good for EXP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Charmander02 on 2006-01-16 14:41 ]</font>

xxTrystanxx
Jan 16, 2006, 10:00 PM
I'll second the idea of not choosing a FOrce for your first character... You can, of course, but it's a lot easier to play a FOrce character after you have built up other characters with which to hand down items! I lucked out in that my fiance also plays PSO and was able to lend me some meseta and items to start out with.

Hunters seem to be the best way to build up your meseta (gold, money, moolah) reserve... Forces are constantly needing Mono-, Di-, and Trifluids, and Casts rely solely on Mono-, Di-, and Trimates. Hunters, particularly HUmar and HUnewearl get the best of both worlds, not relying on either too much. You'll find that having plenty of meseta early on is a help, too.

whiteninja
Jan 16, 2006, 11:29 PM
I had a Ramar for my first character on my current group... though I made my Fonewearl beforehand, I did not use her until my Ramar was in Ultimate (lv78; the first character is hardest, my Foney beat Ultimate Falz at 71) and had picked up a few good FO weapons. (I made him Pinkal for that purpose, though alot of people hate Pinkal >.> <.< )

I liked having a Ramar as a starting character... he did very well with basically any gun... though I remember having a problem from lv78-100ish... I lacked the ATP to deal alot of damage, so I used a Burning Gatling and Tempest Vulcan instead. My mag was not level 200 yet though, and I had not used a single material, which helps explain it. (Along with lv 8 or so Shifta)

Also, about materials: KEEP TRACK OF WHAT YOU USE! It is very important to start planning stats now, because you cannot "uneat" a material. Of course, I would suggest my guide (http://www.freewebs.com/anti-snarf/MagandMatsGuide.doc) though you do not max all stats, you don't need slot items either. If nothing else, you can atleast get instructions for a decent mag there.This one (http://www.pso-world.com/downloads/guides/ricomaxstat/crqmaxstatguidefull.pdf) uses slots, but manages to get more stats maxed at level 200 (early if you use leftover materials). Finally, beware of guides that say to use things like "V101" and "Adept/Ability" as a slot item. They are for BlueBurst only! The only slot items mentioned fors stat maxing in a GC guide would be God/XXX (XXX would usually be an Ability, or something else like Power, Mind, etc)