PDA

View Full Version : Can't put yourself into the developer's shoes? Then don't p

KodiaX987
Jan 19, 2006, 07:09 PM
The overwhelming majority of people who can't play a game for what it's worth is just baffling. And I don't mean the n00bs. This goes far beyond the n00b gene and affects even the most reasoned of persons - reasoned, at least until they open their mouth.

But the fact remains. Aside from the knowledge that a game is built from lines of programming code, very few have even the slightest idea of what may be going into the head of a game developer when he incorporates a feature in his game. While he puts the last semicolon on his code, saves, stretches and drinks a good sip of coffee to reward himself, you guys stand there with your mouths wide open and thinking "ummmmmmm y did u do tat to ur game tis is st00pid lol"

That phrase can come from several different types of people. Especially in the event where a game chooses not to release a particular game item.

THE GUILT TRIPPER
Those guys believe in the self-righteous doctrin that everything that happens to them is someone else's fault. They don't crash servers because they're purebred stupid motherfuckers - they do it because the company that runs the servers wasn't smart enough to protect their stuff. They believe it's the company's own damned fault if they don't have enough protection from hackers. Apparently, that clears the charges.

Doubting me, mister crash? I kill a bystander because the police wasn't there to stop me. I blow up a building because society wasn't smart enough to restrain me. I punch my own mother because she was just too weak to block my fist. I kick someone in the balls because it's his own damned fault that he has sensitive parts and they're covered by nothing more than a band of skin. I kill the president because it's his fault he didn't wear a bulletproof vest.

Sounds stupid? Well, hey, you're on the same mentality, so I guess joke's on you. And I guess it's my fault for hurting your feelings and telling you that you're doing is wrong, and because I hurt your poor little feelings, you're gonna go out and try to kill me. Go right ahead and try. I could use the entertainment, bitch.

THE IRRESPONSIBLE DUMBSHIT
This guy doesn't do anything per se but his presence alone is enough to make your blood boil. The ID (for short) believes that cheating is part of the game, so he accepts it and even embraces it, even if he gets scammed and stolen from all the time and sees the same thing happening to people around him. But he doesn't care, because cheaters, scammers, hackers and other death-deserving idiots are part of life and its cute little butterflies.

I steal your house, your identity, your bank account, all your holdings, I marry your wife, I send your kids to slave labor in Cambodia, then I tie you up, stab your limbs ten times, wait fifteen minutes and then kill you. I've just become a rich, happy man and you died like a dog. Now try telling me that was part of the game too.

That's right. You see injustice but you're too much of a pussy to speak against it.

THE MATERIALISTIC ZEALOT
This one believes everything has a use. If it doesn't, it has no reason to exist. And this is exactly why he can't comprehend that RPG items can sit idle, unreleased, while so many things could be done with them! Why in the whole wide world would a game developer create an item and make it unavailable? This is stupid! This is treachery! This is blasphemy! This is an affront to God, nature and everything that exists!

Ever thought that maybe those items were supposed to be released... later? Ever thought that they were supposed to be a special reward at the end of a poignant and fabulous quest? No, of course you didn't. So you got the weapon, which isn't even that cool, and you think "yay, i hav teh weapon, tis is cool, lol!"

Here comes the news train, be sure to stay between the tracks: thanks to your stupidity, these items may never be released. Because you decided to release them before the company would. So the company said "To hell with those releases, they can't appreciate them." You guys don't really inspire game developers to make special quests when you actively thwart their attempts at planning one out. They said "Let's put the weapons in the game right now, this way when we release the special quest, we'll have to send just a small patch instead of re-releasing the big weapons database file." Then they said "Man, we set the foundations for a nice quest, and that's how they behave? Screw it."

These are the type of guys who play Monopoly and declare that landing on the Free Parking space gives you 500 bucks instantly. Guess what. Open the rulebook. There's a big huge title called FREE PARKING. There are SEVERAL LINES OF TEXT THAT REPEAT OVER AND OVER: FREE PARKING DOES NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL.

You couldn't fathom that happening because that would mean the world would collapse around you. So here's the result. I really wish I could find a 500$ bill everytime I went to the mall and parked my car. I really do. But this won't happen. Not now, not ever. Lock yourself in your room and starve to death instead of trying to invent rules and reasons that make no sense.

Maybe you should try playing Albatross18 then. In this game, stuff that isn't released isn't even incorporated in the game. You couldn't find them even if you tried to. There's no code. Nothing. No hint of those unreleased items. Instead, they send out a bigger patch, thereby overwriting the entire item database. I hope you have fun killing yourself after you look for stuff you know should exist but isn't on your computer.

the spoiled kid
I wanted to find a better name for these no-good, hellbound, inconsiderate little shits, but I guess that'll do for now. The sk has almost the same mentality as the Materialistic Zealot, except for two things: one, the sk's name does not deserve to be capitalized. Two: the sk wants the item not because it should be part of the game. He wants it because it's UBER SUPER COOL AND IT'S UNRELEASED, SO IT HAS TO BE COOL. He wants it this instant. NOW. RIGHT NOW. Not in a week. Not in a day. Not in an hour. Not even in one second. He wants it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shurikane/now.gif

What happens when they don't? They bitch, they whine, they say the game developers are stupid, they call them names, they flame them by E-Mail, they do anything in their power to force them to release the items RIGHT THIS INSTANT or else they'll throw a whiny kid temper tantrum that is guaranteed to get you five across the eyes, courtesy of yours truly. And get ready to have me come back for seconds.

I also forgot to mention that the sk lacks reason, or any thought process for that matter. According to him, his word is the word of God, because he gets anything he wants and that's the way it'll go for his entire life, or so he thought. The big wide world's gonna be harsh on that little boy. I wanna see his reaction next time someone says "You can't have that." I think he'll decimate his hometown in a nuclear explosion.

There you have it. Four types of idiots, who all let the same thing happen for different reasons - four different wrong reasons. No buts, no ifs, nothing at all. You can't argue. I'm not making a guess, I'm making a prediction, and I believe my prediction is pretty damned accurate.

If you're not part of these four types I just described, then bravo! Unless I forgot some obscure form of mental retardedness, you are probably a model online player who likes to have fun with his friends, play a leisurely game, and hold his own in a battle. I look forward to playing with you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KodiaX987 on 2006-01-19 16:14 ]</font>

PJ
Jan 19, 2006, 07:16 PM
I was in love with the topic after reading the title

Saiffy
Jan 19, 2006, 07:24 PM
I WANNA MARRY SHURI RIGHT NOW! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Totally agree with you on all points.

Dek
Jan 19, 2006, 07:37 PM
Can we submit this rant as a guide? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Honestly, I just love this rant so much because it's so damn true.

KaFKa
Jan 19, 2006, 07:56 PM
You should have your own TV show.

I'd pay to watch it.

Dre_o
Jan 19, 2006, 08:10 PM
I hail your greatness. I couldn't have said these words better myself. It is an inspiration to us all. And it has the secondary benefit of making me want to KILL all the idiots in the world! Looks like I've got my work cut out for me!

Zelutos
Jan 19, 2006, 10:00 PM
On 2006-01-19 16:37, Arthas_Zero wrote:
Can we submit this rant as a guide? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Honestly, I just love this rant so much because it's so damn true.

Squall179
Jan 19, 2006, 10:13 PM
Most DEFINATLY agreed!

BWS-1
Jan 20, 2006, 02:46 AM
Kodi, sometimes I wonder if while I sleep you aren't secretly connecting yourself to my brain and stealing all these thoughts I keep to myself... or maybe you are dumping them in my head. >_>

It's a relief to read all that, hell I'm such a lazy bastard I don't even bother ranting around here ... why would I? You're doing all the job! And damn good one too.

space_butler
Jan 20, 2006, 07:24 AM
have you been on the blue burst forums or something? this thread sums up 90% of the posters there.

Solstis
Jan 20, 2006, 10:28 AM
Not to be a Shuri fanboy but...

You rock, man.

Neith
Jan 20, 2006, 10:35 AM
haha, awesome post, sums up a massive amount of almost every RPG's communities http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

It's happening a lot with Guild Wars this weekend, where ArenaNet have allowed players to try out the new professions etc..

'I wanna play PvE with Assassin'
(No, this event is a PvP event.)

'Expansion packs should be free'
(Games Developers aren't slaves last time I checked, there is an amount of work involved making expansions)

My personal favourite (a new area with horribly hard monsters just got released, with rare-dropping bosses at the end, takes about an hour at least):

'This game sux, rarez r 2 hard to get'
(Well, these new items are being sold for loads of money- rare items would actually involve some kind of difficulty to obtain, they wont drop from lame-ass enemies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )

It's free comedy as far as I'm concerned.

TheOneHero
Jan 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
Shuri is the man now dog!

WraithVerge
Jan 20, 2006, 02:09 PM
lmfao. Can't help but agree to all that. I especially loved the rant about the guilt tripper. Those bastards need to take a hot metal knife through the eye.

fronebullare
Jan 20, 2006, 07:48 PM
I've always hated you shuri(you know,for the chat thing)....UNTIL NOW! best rant i've seen,so true,you held nothimg back! good job

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fronebullare on 2006-01-20 19:28 ]</font>

Dhylec
Jan 20, 2006, 09:30 PM
Hah, most rants I've seen are agony, but this is pleasing to read. Feels like a lump just came off my chest. We need more of this 'good feeling' rants. ;D

Firocket1690
Jan 21, 2006, 09:17 PM
Ehhhmmm ...
+4 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/heartcookie.gif

On the other hand, this is why I rather like stuff like Ragnarok Battle Offline, and most of the stuff by Falcom (mostly offline)
Well, I -do- pwn quite a lot at mkds. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Oh, speaking of mkds scrubs.

You might want to add a paragraph about the scrubs who disconnect and scream 'cheatr nub!!' at snakes. >_>;;

BWS-1
Jan 21, 2006, 10:59 PM
On 2006-01-21 18:17, Firocket1690 wrote:

On the other hand, this is why I rather like stuff like Ragnarok Battle Offline

Love that game, can't get tired of the music in it.

Back on topic,

I think I kinda fell in the ''the materialistic zealot'' for a while. Now I just don't care anymore. Damn was I pissed when I heard the Tsumikiri J-Sword wasn't gonna come out for ver2. I should have never fell on that damn ''ver2 weapons list'' site in the first place ... actually I should have never looked it up in the first place *stabs brain*

opaopajr
Jan 22, 2006, 04:49 AM
i'm used to hearing the spoiled kid referred to as veruca salt (the spoiled lil' rich brat in willie wonka/charlie and the chocolate factory). "i want it now daddy! i want it NOW!" gawd, if there ever was a competition about the perfect characterization of stereotype....
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Maridia
Jan 23, 2006, 02:11 PM
Much as I hate to be all "lol shuri is teh best" because you're SUCH an angry little man, this is a great rant and sums up a lot of things. Nice work, Shuri. Let's hope we get to play together someday.

princejake2
Jan 24, 2006, 05:42 PM
That last one reminds me of some peolple ive played with on Star Wars Battlefront II online... ugh so annoying...

Tystys
Jan 27, 2006, 05:05 PM
God, I can't tell you how much I agree with you, lol.
However, I will say this. I've met some spoiled kids in my time who ACTUALLY use their being spoiled for good. Like for instance, a freind of mine has tons of friggin gadgets, and always gets the lastest games and stuff. Difference? He helps all of his freinds if they run out of money, and ACTUALLY RESPECTS HIS PARENTS!HOLY CRAP!
That's a new kind of spoiled, ain't it? lol

Otis_Kat
Jan 28, 2006, 02:27 AM
When me and my cousin play monopoly we put any community chest,chance, and tax money in the center of the board. Whoever lands on Free Parking gets the money in the middle. Ya that was totally semi major offtopic.

Dre_o
Jan 28, 2006, 02:11 PM
On 2006-01-27 14:05, Tystys wrote:
However, I will say this. I've met some spoiled kids in my time who ACTUALLY use their being spoiled for good. Like for instance, a freind of mine has tons of friggin gadgets, and always gets the lastest games and stuff. Difference? He helps all of his freinds if they run out of money, and ACTUALLY RESPECTS HIS PARENTS!HOLY CRAP!

Oh my god! They are evolving! We must stop them!!

*shotgun blasts in the distance*

zwandude15
Jan 28, 2006, 02:33 PM
oooooooo! Dark Flow! Item database has it and says its unavailable, but I know its there! Its just gotta! I want! I want!

I remember i wanted that thing...and I soon realized finding a SJS was worth more of my time. Crappy special shown up by TJS combo special, requires dangerously low HP to use, one combo? and then...

"Oh! I know this thing where you beat Olga Flow and go back up and talk to someone and go back and talk to this gu-".

NO! Get over it. Its not worth the time to try getting one. If you want one so bad, resort to a h4xor, they'll help you and your whiny-ass ways to get the weapon you'll abandon after less than a day.

This dates back to the Materialistic Zealot (ST) who had to be a dumbass and deny people things they got lazy about. Forget that.

Congrats to this post. I finally took the time to see what everyone was talking about, and was pleased with its contents. *props*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zwandude15 on 2006-01-28 11:35 ]</font>

Tystys
Jan 29, 2006, 04:54 PM
On 2006-01-28 11:11, Dre_o wrote:

On 2006-01-27 14:05, Tystys wrote:

Oh my god! They are evolving! We must stop them!!

*shotgun blasts in the distance*

Quick! The cure for all diseases is in their remains!

Tkinc
Feb 3, 2006, 02:54 PM
haha. Shuri, your posts on ur site rock! and great post on idiot Motherfu***rs... I, being a game creator, hate it when people blame things on me because of their impatience and their stupidity. Thanks Shuri ^_~

lain2k3
Feb 5, 2006, 10:41 PM
On 2006-01-19 16:56, KaFKa wrote:
You should have your own TV show.

I'd pay to watch it.

/agreed.

Eanae
Feb 7, 2006, 04:35 PM
Shuri always seems to tell it as it is. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

HUcastShinobi
Feb 9, 2006, 09:16 PM
Finally, my dream has come true! Someone else complains about the idiots... in a bashing mannor too!

Polly
Feb 10, 2006, 09:39 PM
Wow.

I don't know which I should be more stunned by. The profound "DUH"-ness of the topic creator's exhaustive "ranting," or the reactions from others in the topic acting as if it's never been said before or if it was said in some kind of special or new way.

Yeah, you nailed a majority of the idiot stereotypes, but all I could think while reading it was, "Yeah?" "And?" "So what?" due to it all being said before many, many, many times.