PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know 3DS Max to a decent level?

Neith
Jan 24, 2006, 10:56 AM
Ok, I have a University project to hand in, which requires a 1/2 mile square model of my town. One thing I'm having real problems with is getting realistic roads modelled out.

I used Photoshop to get the paths for the roads, and loaded them into Max, but have no idea how to use those paths to actually model the roads (with sidewalk). Does anyone here have any idea how to do this quickly?

Probably the wrong place to ask, but I guess there's a possibility of someone knowing the program here.

Cheers.

Daikarin
Jan 24, 2006, 07:45 PM
Try here:

http://www.cgarchitect.com/upclose/article30_TB.asp

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daikarin on 2006-01-24 17:00 ]</font>

Rainbowlemon
Jan 24, 2006, 08:30 PM
How do you mean, you made the whole road layout in photoshop? In any case, if its not in detail, bump mapping is your friend - google around for some simple tutorials on bump mapping if you don't know it already, and apply it to a simple plane with a UV map.

If its gotta be a bit more detail, just do some simple extrusions, but keep it low poly - you could use a plane for this as well. Again, UV map it and apply the texture, moving the gizmo to suit the fit. Don't forget, you can also apply UV mapping and textures to face selections.

If you're wanting a little more detail than that, be more specific and I'll try help. =)

EDIT: It just clicked what you were trying to say...I think. If you want to do what I think you want to do, you need to use alpha channels on your path textures. Apply your paths to a basic plane, and if you've blanked out the right bits using your alpha channels, you should just be left with your road. As for making it seem extruded...the only way you can really do it in this case is displacement/bump mapping using the material editor. Again, you'll probably have to have a play around with alpha channels in Photoshop for this to get it right...Of course, if you have the time and the patience to model out a whole network of roads in 3D....go for it! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Antimony on 2006-01-24 17:36 ]</font>

Neith
Jan 24, 2006, 08:40 PM
Basically, I was given a map of the area I need to model. From that, I used Photoshop to draw paths out for all of the roads. From there, I imported the paths into Max using Adobe Illustrator files (.AI). Now, I need to model the roads, whether it be in full 3D, or using bump maps. Thing is, I've never really used Bump Maps in Max, so I'm a little unsure on what exactly to do. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

RuneLateralus
Jan 25, 2006, 02:16 PM
Never used 3DSMax...I am more of Maya person. But what I am understanding is that you want to model out the path of the roads, right? You might was to extruding and edge/face along a curb. Edge might be better to cut down the poly count. You best bet to do that is place an image plan in the top view window, draw a curve, and then create a cube, delete all the faces except the top one, then extrude one of the edges along the curve.

I am not a bit 3DS Max person, so I am not sure if you can do that or not (you can in Lightwave, Maya, and XSI...so why not in 3DSMax?). I am not a big user of that method, but I know some people who use that to cut time down (if you know how to do it, that is).

If you were going to do bump maps, what you would do is take the texture plain you are using, save as *filenamehere*_bump.*extension* in photoshop and adjust the contrast of the image. Don't adjust it so it is completely black and white...it would look to fake. Most of it should be grey, but the parts that go in should be closer to black, while the parts that petrude are going to be more white. You should be able to import the bump maps the same way you import textures, but look for a bump button or tab. Just to let you know on bumps, they will never look right at first. You will have do some adjusting.

Edit: One more thing...make sure the bump level inside the program is low. In Maya, I usually use about .1 to about .25 (the scale is 0 to 1) for how much detail the bump gives. It is better to play around with that first than adjusting the image itself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2006-01-25 11:24 ]</font>