PDA

View Full Version : To any brave soul with an Ipod...

AUTO_
Jan 31, 2006, 12:27 AM
Here's the deal...I got myself a 60gig Ipod (I have tons of music), and after putting my first 10 gig load on it I deleted my library (thus deleting the songs next time I plugged it in)---so I realized how itunes worked.

So I went into my Ipod settings, and set it to Manual for updates (which of course you can delete music off your library after uploading and not have to worry about the music on the Ipod erasing).

Here's my brave task to someone with an Ipod:

If you put music on the Ipod, set it to Manual, and plug the Ipod into someone elses computer/iTunes---will the Ipod tell iTunes its on Manual update or will the default 'Auto Update' of iTunes completely wipe out the music on your Ipod (assuming there's no music in the library of the other computer you plug it into)?

Most of you would say: "Set iTunes to manual before you plug in your Ipod"--only problem is you can't set it to manual update UNTIL your Ipod is connected, and the default on all iTunes is 'Auto Update'.

I would try this myself, but obviously, I'm a bit cautious about losing 60gigs worth of music (which took a lot of labor to do).

So if any kind soul would be willing to test this I'd be in your gratitude...because if it works I could plug my ipod into my schools comps (for battery mainly) and not have to worry about iTunes auto flushing all my music down the drain.

CupOfCoffee
Jan 31, 2006, 12:48 AM
Don't worry--I do that virtually every day at school. I use my iPod as a portable hard drive to keep my school stuff on, and it's got to go from computer to computer, PC to Mac, the whole deal.

When you plug your iPod into a foreign computer, iTunes will probably open. That's okay, though: a little pop up window that says something to the effect of "Your iPod is syncronized with a different iTunes library. Would you like to syncronize it to this library? All your previous music and playlists will be lost." Just click no, and you're safe.

You can avoid even that step if you just set your iPod not to open iTunes upon being plugged into a computer in the iPod options menu (in iTunes).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CupOfCoffee on 2006-01-30 21:49 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Jan 31, 2006, 04:50 AM
Man's got a point.

If it's set to automatic, you'll see a prompt before it wipes out your local ipod library. On mon/wed, my ipod goes to school's macs, and friday/weekends, i transfer stuff via pcs.

Mac's being macs. You should plug into said mac, click "no" to it doesn't recreate a library and sync with local comps'. Then, it'll be connected locally, and whatnot. Headphones to computer, then select songs through itunes. period's over, eject, walk etc.

Maybe I'm crazy, but is it just me, or does the ipod get really hot (physically when it's connected to a mac? I know the hdd's spinning like crazy, but still, it's odd. ipod doesn't heat up when connected to my pcs at home. Both using same firewire cable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2006-01-31 01:55 ]</font>

Rainbowlemon
Jan 31, 2006, 09:03 AM
On 2006-01-31 01:50, Firocket1690 wrote:
Man's got a point.

If it's set to automatic, you'll see a prompt before it wipes out your local ipod library. On mon/wed, my ipod goes to school's macs, and friday/weekends, i transfer stuff via pcs.

Mac's being macs. You should plug into said mac, click "no" to it doesn't recreate a library and sync with local comps'. Then, it'll be connected locally, and whatnot. Headphones to computer, then select songs through itunes. period's over, eject, walk etc.

Maybe I'm crazy, but is it just me, or does the ipod get really hot (physically when it's connected to a mac? I know the hdd's spinning like crazy, but still, it's odd. ipod doesn't heat up when connected to my pcs at home. Both using same firewire cable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2006-01-31 01:55 ]</font>

That may just be yours - I've just checked, and mine doesn't heat up in a mac or pc. *shrug*

I did have a problem with this a while ago - my brother put some Ross Noble Live on my iPod, and when I came back to uni, I had no way of connecting it to the pc without the mp3s being deleted. What I ended up doing, was connecting it up, and when it started autoupdating, pressed the cross next to the progress bar to stop it. Some were deleted, but I managed to save about half, and switched autoupdate off for future use.

AUTO_
Jan 31, 2006, 06:25 PM
Cool thanks all...I should be alright to try it then.

rbf2000
Jan 31, 2006, 11:08 PM
You could always use anapod explorer (http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/) from Red Chair.

Basically makes it so you can drag and drop from windows. There aren't any authorizing issues (any computer that has the anapod software can transfer music to the ipod).

Worth the few bucks it costs.