PDA

View Full Version : PSP V.S. IPOD

washuguy
Jan 31, 2006, 09:51 PM
I like the psp because of all the things the IPOD can't do. Like play a large library of games. Plus, you can buy a 2.0 Memory stick duo, to save tons of music. But thats me...

Dek
Jan 31, 2006, 09:56 PM
On 2006-01-31 18:51, washuguy wrote:
I like the psp because of all the things the IPOD can't do. Like play a large library of games. Plus, you can buy a 2.0 Memory stick duo, to save tons of music. But thats me...

Um...

How is it even possible to compare a handheld GAMING system to a MUSIC playing device?

Blitzkommando
Jan 31, 2006, 09:59 PM
The devices serve two different purposes. The PSP is, or was, designed for gaming and movies. The iPod is designed for movies, music, and pictures. If someone only has 1-2GB of music and can afford the cost for a large memory stick, more power to them. But if they have over 2GB of music, for the same price they could get an iPod with better battery life, or a different brand with even better battery life and storage.

washuguy
Jan 31, 2006, 10:02 PM
On 2006-01-31 18:56, Arthas_Zero wrote:

On 2006-01-31 18:51, washuguy wrote:

Um...

How is it even possible to compare a handheld GAMING system to a MUSIC playing device?

Well I posted it didn't I? And they both play music right? Well there it is.And the PSP is really an entertainent system,that includes the option of gaming... Think about that...

Ketchup345
Jan 31, 2006, 10:05 PM
It isn't too comparable. They are meant for separate things. A dedicated music player will do its job better than a PSP would play music though.

And please do look at other brands of HDD based music players before buying the iPod.

washuguy
Jan 31, 2006, 10:06 PM
On 2006-01-31 18:59, Norvekh wrote:
The devices serve two different purposes. The PSP is, or was, designed for gaming and movies. The iPod is designed for movies, music, and pictures. If someone only has 1-2GB of music and can afford the cost for a large memory stick, more power to them. But if they have over 2GB of music, for the same price they could get an iPod with better battery life, or a different brand with even better battery life and storage.

I have a friend that uses it for the soul pourpouse of music and movies (PSP). He barely buys games for it. It serves the needs of diffrent people.

washuguy
Jan 31, 2006, 10:10 PM
On 2006-01-31 19:05, Ketchup345 wrote:
It isn't too comparable. They are meant for separate things. A dedicated music player will do its job better than a PSP would play music though.

And please do look at other brands of HDD based music players before buying the iPod.

If it's meant for "seperate" things, I honestly don't think they would add extras. They should've just left it at games and movies.

DizzyDi
Jan 31, 2006, 10:38 PM
PSP if you can afford a big memory card to hold both your music AND game files. iPod if you can't. PSP costs more money in the end. Sooooo if you have extra bux, just get the PSP.

washuguy
Jan 31, 2006, 10:47 PM
On 2006-01-31 19:38, DizzyDi wrote:
PSP if you can afford a big memory card to hold both your music AND game files. iPod if you can't. PSP costs more money in the end. Sooooo if you have extra bux, just get the PSP.

That's what our parents are for,right...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: washuguy on 2006-01-31 19:47 ]</font>

Skett
Jan 31, 2006, 10:50 PM
This is how I put it:
Music: iPod > PSP

Video: iPod = PSP (iPod has downloadable TV episodes and podcasts, but PSP has UMD videos)

Pictures: iPod > PSP (closer than you may think. iPod's screen, although smaller, has better clarity because of it. PSP is usually too stretched and you need to fiddle with options to get it look halfway nice)

Games: iPod < PSP < DS < GBA (well, duh. iPod has cheap little games, but PSP doesn't have that many really great games. So to even things up, I added the DS and GBA, which totally owns each other.

Overall: iPod, unless you want to watch movies on the go, than pick up PSP. Oh screw it. Just guy a Gizmondo instead. It has GPS.

washuguy
Jan 31, 2006, 10:53 PM
On 2006-01-31 19:50, Skett wrote:
This is how I put it:

Video: iPod = PSP (iPod has downloadable TV episodes and podcasts, but PSP has UMD videos)

Pictures: iPod > PSP (closer than you may think. iPod's screen, although smaller, has better clarity because of it. PSP is usually too stretched and you need to fiddle with options to get it look halfway nice)

Games: iPod < PSP < DS < GBA (well, duh. iPod has cheap little games, but PSP doesn't have that many really great games. So to even things up, I added the DS and GBA, which totally owns each other.

Overall: iPod, unless you want to watch movies on the go, than pick up PSP. Oh screw it. Just guy a Gizmondo instead. It has GPS.

But you forgot the up coming psp games

Skett
Jan 31, 2006, 11:30 PM
On 2006-01-31 19:53, washuguy wrote:
But you forgot the up coming psp games

What? Mega Man Maverick Hunter X?

I only included available games because, well, that's like saying that I forgot upcoming music or pictures that haven't been taken yet. If it isn't in the machine, it doesn't count.

WashuSaotome
Jan 31, 2006, 11:49 PM
On 2006-01-31 19:50, Skett wrote:
This is how I put it:

THANK YOU!

*cries*

I really need to send this to people. This just boils it down to a tee. Wonderful. Won-da-fhul.

Kent
Feb 1, 2006, 12:22 AM
...I'd probably have more fun with an iPod than I would with a PSP. :/

Then again, Microsoft is planning a device to compete with both of them, so...

Competing with the iPod would probably be tough... But competing with the PSP would probably be very, very easy. :/

Dgo
Feb 1, 2006, 01:03 AM
Ok psp 249.99 with tax 271.68,and 2Gb memory stick gotthe psp 199.99 208.16 after tax.

Altogether 479.84 hmmm thats about as much as oh say a really good harddrive based mp3 player of your choice.

Lets say around 60GB worth of space so i go with Ipod or whatever your choice of hard drive based players are .

So in the end the mp3 player wins since the psp has a very poor selection of ports at the moment.

Its sad i have to talk customers out of buying that paperwait and tell them to get a DS since MarioKart owns all!

QuadTail
Feb 1, 2006, 04:32 PM
Like they said... They're designed for diffrent things, so, I'm not so sure if you really should compare them at all...

On 2006-01-31 22:03, Dgo wrote:
Ok psp 249.99 with tax 271.68,and 2Gb memory stick gotthe psp 199.99 208.16 after tax.

Altogether 479.84 hmmm thats about as much as oh say a really good harddrive based mp3 player of your choice.

Lets say around 60GB worth of space so i go with Ipod or whatever your choice of hard drive based players are .

So in the end the mp3 player wins since the psp has a very poor selection of ports at the moment.

Its sad i have to talk customers out of buying that paperwait and tell them to get a DS since MarioKart owns all!

Yeah! DS! I'm gonna buy one as soon as I know how much I can afford to spend and how much I need to save up for some more... Important things.

You can look at movies with the DS, too... Not sure about music, but I'd guess so if you just have one of those flash-memory-thingies for it...

Anyways DS rulz! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Boo for PSP, fake handheld gaming console! ... It's more like a movie player in my head.

Tystys
Feb 1, 2006, 06:16 PM
iPOD FTW...
Maybe if the PSP had TWO friggin analog sticks...*grumble grumble*

Dre_o
Feb 1, 2006, 07:03 PM
Well, I myself would buy a PSP, just for the videogames and added music but my REAL self says DS FOR THE VICTORY WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

DizzyDi
Feb 1, 2006, 07:34 PM
Guys I wouldn't count out the PSP ong ames just yet. There isn't a great library out RIGHT NOW, but theres a few ones coming out. Valkyrie Profile remake, SE is making another FF spin-off starring Zack, Lumines isn't half bad, Metal Gear PSP (none of that damn Yu-gi-oh card stuff either, we're talking a real MG game here), you got your Prince of Persia, GTA, and theres more I'm leaving off here. The PSP doesn't have the greatest library right now, but give it some time and it'll get there. Not only that but theres so much stuff you can do with the PSP. If you know where to look and what you're doing you can download all sorts of programs and mods and hacks for your PSP that will make the small library the least of your problems.

washuguy
Feb 1, 2006, 08:05 PM
On 2006-02-01 16:03, Dre_o wrote:
Well, I myself would buy a PSP, just for the videogames and added music but my REAL self says DS FOR THE VICTORY WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

I LOVE YOU! I recomend Animal Crossing for the DS,or maybe Nintendogs.There pretty nice.

shinobu_seta
Feb 3, 2006, 11:37 PM
On 2006-02-01 16:34, DizzyDi wrote:
Guys I wouldn't count out the PSP ong ames just yet. There isn't a great library out RIGHT NOW, but theres a few ones coming out. Valkyrie Profile remake, SE is making another FF spin-off starring Zack, Lumines isn't half bad, Metal Gear PSP (none of that damn Yu-gi-oh card stuff either, we're talking a real MG game here), you got your Prince of Persia, GTA, and theres more I'm leaving off here. The PSP doesn't have the greatest library right now, but give it some time and it'll get there. Not only that but theres so much stuff you can do with the PSP. If you know where to look and what you're doing you can download all sorts of programs and mods and hacks for your PSP that will make the small library the least of your problems.

Eh, I dunno. The majority of it's future library looks to be more remakes. Nothing really all that original like the content that's appearing on the DS. Like someone mentioned earlier, the lack of a second analog (or a real analog for that matter) really hurts it. I'm glad to see that Capcom's giving the system a lot of support, but I just can't play fighters with the PSP's pad or analog nub. I've gotten too used to playing with an arcade stick.

If you're going to invest in a PSP, you're better off going in the direction of emulation than waiting on new and original content.

For those that picked up a DS but are wondering about music and movie play back, do some research on the Play-yan device ^_^

Shadowpawn
Feb 4, 2006, 12:18 AM
The only reason why people are buying PSPs are for UMDs and emulation. What does that tell you about their game library? Personally, neither the PSP or a DS interest me at all. Oh and iPod > PSP, podcasting FTW!

DizzyDi
Feb 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
On 2006-02-03 20:37, shinobu_seta wrote:

Eh, I dunno. The majority of it's future library looks to be more remakes. Nothing really all that original like the content that's appearing on the DS. Like someone mentioned earlier, the lack of a second analog (or a real analog for that matter) really hurts it. I'm glad to see that Capcom's giving the system a lot of support, but I just can't play fighters with the PSP's pad or analog nub. I've gotten too used to playing with an arcade stick.

If you're going to invest in a PSP, you're better off going in the direction of emulation than waiting on new and original content.

For those that picked up a DS but are wondering about music and movie play back, do some research on the Play-yan device ^_^

Actually, about that nub...You can buy bigger analog sticks to replace the little nub. And theres nothing wrong with remakes folks. Look at the GBA library, its pretty much a friggen portable SNES.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 4, 2006, 12:49 AM
The PSP isn't as good as they say it is----- the DS is waaaay better. The line up of games is bad on psp since the only game worht buying is the new GTA for it---- the IPOD is better than the PSP but i woodn't get an IPOD myself cuz they are so expensive---i wood just get a cheap mp3 player---

shinobu_seta
Feb 4, 2006, 01:11 AM
On 2006-02-03 21:47, DizzyDi wrote:

On 2006-02-03 20:37, shinobu_seta wrote:

Actually, about that nub...You can buy bigger analog sticks to replace the little nub. And theres nothing wrong with remakes folks. Look at the GBA library, its pretty much a friggen portable SNES.

That's true, there are a lot of remakes for the GBA. But for every remake for it, there are 2 original titles though. Also, just about everything on the DS is new and original, save for a few titles.

About the analog extension you speak of. Is it just an extension of the nub? Or do you actually remove the casing to alter the hardware?

EJ
Feb 4, 2006, 02:26 AM
Wow this topic seem to go off to a DS Vs PSP thing somehow. O.o

To the original post it really not fair to compare two device intended to do different things. The IPod is for music/videos only depending on the many different verisons of them, while the PSP is to be for gaming and Sony just added those feature just to compete with the DS. Although PSP has those feature it still won't do as good as a device dedicated to one thing like the IPOD is to music.

SO in the end I rather get a IPod or another MPS device than a PSP if I want to listen to music and plus it's a hell a lot cheaper too.

Atayin
Feb 4, 2006, 08:02 AM
Hmm.. interesting question. Would I choose a device with multiple uses, or a simpler device devoted to just one of the features of the other device?

I suppose if I had to choose, it would be an iPod. I get the feeling that with PSP, I just end up paying for too many things I may never use. It's widely known and advertised as a system that does lots of things other then play games. Few of it's really good titles (Legend of Heroes, Kingdom of Paradise, PopoLoCrois, Armored Core) are well promoted due to critics saying that they aren't up to standard.

But, I guess if you were to offer me a PSP with a 2 gig memory stick, versus the best iPod out there, I would definately go for the PSP.

EDIT: And about remakes for PSP, I found out that Sony has actually cancelled dozens of titles because the PSP has PS2 potential (seriously). This is motivating tons of developers to try to make easy cash by porting old titles onto it, when it's capable of so much more. Unfortunately, this happened just in time to stop Megaman Legends and Megaman Legends 2 from ever reaching American shores for the PSP. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-02-04 05:05 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Feb 4, 2006, 04:40 PM
This comes from pspupdates.qj.net

PS3 Features Revealed, PSP Well Cared

PSM ScanJak_The_Man, An active member from US PlayStation forums, has posted a short article after reading the latest PlayStation Magazine. The information contained is very interesting...

* PS3 will have online service that goes beyond Xbox live
* PS3 will be a DVR (Digital Video Recorder)
* It will be able to connect with the PSP
* There are a lot of games being worked on for it right now in the US (a lot more then what people know about)
* The final PS3 dev kit is a lot faster than they thought (according to the developer)
* The PS3 will have an iTunes type service to let you download Hi-Def movies, music, etc
* The PS3 will take the media center functionality the 360 has even further
* PS3 will serve as a location free player for the PSP, means you can watch the DVD’s that you have in your PS3 on your PSP (from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.
* PS3 will be able to send its files straight to the PSP from anywhere in the world, and it can also control its DVR functionalities
* Firmware updates will add more functionality, much like with the PSP
* The Blu-ray Player functionality doesn't cost as much as a stand alone player because the Cell and RSX can take care of a lot of the stuff the PS3 will need to do to be able to read the disks
* Fall release date for PS3, no release date for online service, but expected to launch with the system

All these new features makes a PSP worth buying… together with a PS3. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

As you can see, there are quite some strange icons we’ve never seen before in the photo of the PSP, a glimpse of the next firmware? This scan, as noted in the bottom left hand corner, discusses the CES (Consumer Electronics Show), held the beginning of last month. Sony definitely plans to keep updating their precious PSP and will surely use it to their advantage with the release of the PlayStation 3, interacting with it any way they seem fit. We are definitely interested to see what the future holds for the powerful handheld, and only hope that Sony will not quash any ability to play homebrew on a product we payed a good amount of money to do with as we please.

I was gunna make a whole new topic for this but I decided this would be a good place to post.

FIDELCASTRO
Feb 5, 2006, 12:02 AM
don't get an iPod. i'm not saying get the PSP, but get the iAudio X5. I got mine for $60 cheaper, plus it has FM radio and recorder, voice recorder, direct MP3 encoding, plus everything the ipod has. smaller screen, but i think its fine.

Zelutos
Feb 5, 2006, 12:28 AM
If any games i really really want come out for the PSP, i'd buy one. And IPod..well, i already have a really uber good MP3 player, so i don't much care for it *shrug*

Kent
Feb 5, 2006, 12:41 AM
Okay, so... Where are the really awesome, innovative, and just plain fun games for the PSP?

DizzyDi
Feb 5, 2006, 01:27 AM
They're coming. Kent you have a 360 but there aren't any uber, innovative games on there. Not IMO at least. There are a few for PSP. Lumines is one, Metal Gear Acid is pretty innovative, Tokobot, Kingdom of Paradise, Popolocrois I think its called is sopposed to be good. People look out there, PSP has a pretty solid library out right now, just look.

Skett
Feb 5, 2006, 02:21 PM
On 2006-02-04 21:02, FIDELCASTRO wrote:
don't get an iPod. i'm not saying get the PSP, but get the iAudio X5. I got mine for $60 cheaper, plus it has FM radio and recorder, voice recorder, direct MP3 encoding, plus everything the ipod has. smaller screen, but i think its fine.

How much storage does it have? And how much?

Otis_Kat
Feb 5, 2006, 03:20 PM
On 2006-02-04 22:27, DizzyDi wrote:
Popolocrois I think its called is sopposed to be good.

Popolocrois is a port I think.

About that nub extender, it wont help. The nub doesnt move in a sphereacal(lol spelling)fasion,it goes side to side.

I'd go with the ipod unless you REALLY want to play the game library, which, no matter what you say, is bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Otis_Kat on 2006-02-05 12:22 ]</font>

FIDELCASTRO
Feb 5, 2006, 05:28 PM
On 2006-02-05 11:21, Skett wrote:

On 2006-02-04 21:02, FIDELCASTRO wrote:

How much storage does it have? And how much?

depends. comes in 20gb, 30gb, and 60gb. i got the 20gb for $240