PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union

Qrrrbrbirbel
Jan 31, 2006, 10:27 PM
Thoughts?

washuguy
Jan 31, 2006, 10:37 PM
Don't belive him! He is desperatly trying to gain popularity, and failing horribly! He cares about the over sea countries, rather than us in the u.s.Oh, one question:WHEN ARE THE SOILDERS COMING HOME. I really want to know.

roygbiv
Jan 31, 2006, 10:48 PM
Ugh... I am actually pretty upset I missed it... had a scuba lesson till pretty late. Can anyone give a recap?

rbf2000
Jan 31, 2006, 11:02 PM
Heh, anybody that gives a recap of it is going to be extremely biased.

I would say wait for it to be played on TV, but all you're going to see is biased interpretations of it.

Maybe there is a transcript available somewhere online?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbf2000 on 2006-01-31 20:03 ]</font>

roygbiv
Jan 31, 2006, 11:05 PM
On 2006-01-31 20:02, rbf2000 wrote:

Maybe there is a transcript available somewhere online?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbf2000 on 2006-01-31 20:03 ]</font>

That was more along the lines of what I was hoping for.

Kent
Feb 1, 2006, 12:23 AM
Meh, politics...

I was too bust fixing a short person's lappy. :/

space_butler
Feb 1, 2006, 05:09 AM
On 2006-01-31 19:37, washuguy wrote: one question:WHEN ARE THE SOILDERS COMING HOME. I really want to know.

when the middle east is stable again of course. give it 20 years or so for some non-extremist to show up again.

Jehosaphaty
Feb 1, 2006, 05:15 PM
On 2006-01-31 19:37, washuguy wrote:
Oh, one question:WHEN ARE THE SOILDERS COMING HOME. I really want to know.

when everybody decides that they wanna play nice and stop killing each other.

Tystys
Feb 1, 2006, 06:19 PM
On 2006-02-01 14:15, Jehosaphaty wrote:

Like THAT'll ever happen.
Although, I hope it does, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.
I have a freind who went to Iraq and served. She stayed there for a good year, and when she came back, we had a huge parti-zay for her. I got a new found respect for her. Risking her life for a war most citizens find idiotic and un needed....
Now that is being a true American, people.

EDIT:
By this, I meant that even though people don't agree with what she did(serving in the war), she still did it for us. ;_;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tystys on 2006-02-01 15:20 ]</font>

DavidNel
Feb 1, 2006, 07:51 PM
Good lord, someone turn something into a parking lot... Too much debating on something that isn't going to happen. Bush needs to get in there a do something, or leave it alone. MAKE UP YOUR MIND! Blow up Iraq if you must. Blow up the US, just make sure you give me a heads up. This is a lot of talk about nothing. I think things have died down in the Middle East, but I'm not really keeping track. Can anyone tell me what the stances are in Iraq right now?

I didn't see it, but I can guess what it is about.

washuguy
Feb 1, 2006, 08:09 PM

World hunger will be ended when that happens!

DavidNel
Feb 1, 2006, 08:12 PM
Do you think it is possible that Bush, for lack of a better choice of words, forgot about them / is to busy to recall them? I don't know, just the first random idea to pop into my head.

PLaying nice... only in Canada (j/p)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DavidNel on 2006-02-01 17:12 ]</font>

washuguy
Feb 1, 2006, 08:13 PM
On 2006-02-01 15:19, Tystys wrote:

Like THAT'll ever happen.
Although, I hope it does, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.
I have a freind who went to Iraq and served. She stayed there for a good year, and when she came back, we had a huge parti-zay for her. I got a new found respect for her. Risking her life for a war most citizens find idiotic and un needed....
Now that is being a true American, people.

EDIT:
By this, I meant that even though people don't agree with what she did(serving in the war), she still did it for us. ;_;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tystys on 2006-02-01 15:20 ]</font>
Same here,we have to pay respect to those soilders. They put there life on the line,and knew that when they joined. They did'nt just fight for us,they fought for thier family,thier friends,and there belifs.And worst of all, the ONE who sent them. TRUE AMERICANS my friends.

washuguy
Feb 1, 2006, 08:17 PM
On 2006-02-01 16:51, DavidNel wrote:
Good lord, someone turn something into a parking lot... Too much debating on something that isn't going to happen. Bush needs to get in there a do something, or leave it alone. MAKE UP YOUR MIND! Blow up Iraq if you must. Blow up the US, just make sure you give me a heads up. This is a lot of talk about nothing. I think things have died down in the Middle East, but I'm not really keeping track. Can anyone tell me what the stances are in Iraq right now?

I didn't see it, but I can guess what it is about.

EXACTLY! Why isn't he down there fighting for HIS country?Thats because the soilders are pawns in his little plan,he dosn't give a...

Sharkyland
Feb 1, 2006, 09:15 PM
My news program poll states:
- How many believe that they agree with the direction Bush is heading towards? 73% Yes
- How many believe he will keep his plans? 69% No.

Parn
Feb 1, 2006, 09:26 PM
On 2006-02-01 17:17, washuguy wrote:
EXACTLY! Why isn't he down there fighting for HIS country?Thats because the soilders are pawns in his little plan,he dosn't give a...
Because the president's job is to lead the country, not take up arms and put himself in immediate danger.

washuguy
Feb 1, 2006, 09:37 PM
On 2006-02-01 18:26, Parn wrote:

Because the president's job is to lead the country, not take up arms and put himself in immediate danger.

I don't know about leading the country,but he led the soilders to thier doom.

Jehosaphaty
Feb 1, 2006, 09:49 PM

obviously washuguy, the president will never go to the frontlines to fight. and stop double posting to the brink of spamming.

Allos
Feb 1, 2006, 09:49 PM
On 2006-02-01 18:37, washuguy wrote:

On 2006-02-01 18:26, Parn wrote:

I don't know about leading the country,but he led the soilders to thier doom.

And I suppose its FDR's fault that the boys at Normandy died too?

EphekZ
Feb 1, 2006, 09:54 PM

You are just saying this becuase supposadly everyone hates Bush. I'm not much for the man myself but what you are saying really doesnt make sense. To answer your question think of Chess. Do you send the king out to the middle of the board? No. There was no draft, These men signed up for the army.

P.S-So those who saw it, how'd he do?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkgunner on 2006-02-01 18:54 ]</font>

washuguy
Feb 1, 2006, 10:16 PM
On 2006-02-01 18:54, darkgunner wrote:

You are just saying this becuase supposadly everyone hates Bush. I'm not much for the man myself but what you are saying really doesnt make sense. To answer your question think of Chess. Do you send the king out to the middle of the board? No. There was no draft, These men signed up for the army.

P.S-So those who saw it, how'd he do?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkgunner on 2006-02-01 18:54 ]</font>
I got to give it to him...He faked it pretty good.

Dek
Feb 1, 2006, 11:16 PM
Anyways, back to the state of the union, please?

I was just listening to some of it right now...

Human-Animal hybrids are the medical issue/problem at the moment?

Since when?

America is addicted to oil? O_o

Ryna
Feb 1, 2006, 11:34 PM
Let's keep the topic focused on the State of the Union address.

AUTO_
Feb 2, 2006, 03:08 AM
His plan for cutting ourselves off from foreign oil seems like a shit idea to me.

He wants to experiment with alternate energy sources to go along with that--such as ethanol for fuel.

As great as that sounds, it'd be just as complicated to switch over to an ethanol system--especially when 90% of Americans aren't going to go along with that plan until they're forced to have no alternative.

Hydrogen cars? With what? The one filling station in Washington or wherever it is as a test? That'd take effect...oh...in 20 years.

Or you know, the fact how combustable it is---everyone would be driving the newest model of the hydrogen bomb.

The war in Iraq is pretty much a shitheap--not saying that in the sense I completely disagree with it, but our methods of going to war were completely fucked. Bush said "There's no peace in retreating", which is true, but I think he needs to realize there isn't going to be peace in succeeding--and I don't think he even knows when to call the war in Iraq a success.

Shigecki
Feb 3, 2006, 03:46 PM
A lot of what he said was ment for rah rahs. He is hoping for a rise in popularity. This is his last State of the Union speach that is going to mean anything or really be heard. Next year at this time we will be thinking, and talking about who will be our next president. Or at least the parties will be doing this.

So most of the things said didn't have much substance, or true feelings. Just a lot of give me applause for saying this and that, make me feel good. This is all I got out of the State of the Union.

Tystys
Feb 3, 2006, 07:16 PM
Didn't Stephen Colbert make a joke about it? It was hilarious, lol

Kent
Feb 4, 2006, 12:45 AM
On 2006-02-02 00:08, AUTO_ wrote:
His plan for cutting ourselves off from foreign oil seems like a shit idea to me.

He wants to experiment with alternate energy sources to go along with that--such as ethanol for fuel.

As great as that sounds, it'd be just as complicated to switch over to an ethanol system--especially when 90% of Americans aren't going to go along with that plan until they're forced to have no alternative.

Hydrogen cars? With what? The one filling station in Washington or wherever it is as a test? That'd take effect...oh...in 20 years.

Or you know, the fact how combustable it is---everyone would be driving the newest model of the hydrogen bomb.

Actually, it's entirely possible to store hydrogen in a non-combustible state, by chemically bonding the atoms into hydrides. They'll bond to certain atoms into a hydride, and form a grainy, sand-like substance, that is totally non-combustible. Then, while the engine's running, the hydrogen atoms are separated from their compounds, and injected into the engine in a fashion suitable to how current interal-combustion engines work with gasoline vapors.

Anyway, you could literally shoot a container of hydrides and the worst that could happen, would be that the harmless hydride particles spill out...

I'm not saying we'll adopt this any time soon (one can hope), but I am saying it's possible.

Firocket1690
Feb 4, 2006, 11:52 PM
If you want a complete recap, the whole session's available as a free "audiobook" from apple.

Obviously, you'll need itunes to download, but it's free, and itunes is worth having to begin with, so yay.
Note: url links to apple's itunes site, so don't bother clicking unless you have itunes already installed.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=42997799

Yet to hear it myself, but from what I heard last year, three words, applause every five words or so.

Keep in mind, last year, I had to watch/take notes on this for school, then I was poking around for a recorded version. iTunes usually has an available audiobook of most legal junk and happy shit. Got extra credit for burning the speeches/debate from last year and handing to hist. teacher. n.n