PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts - Another Square masterpiece!

Kent
Sep 21, 2002, 08:47 PM
Square's latest game turns out great, and it's one of, if not the, best Action/RPG games I've ever played.

At first glance, a lot of people see the Disney logo and think "kiddie." Sure, it has loads of Disney characters all over throughout the game (over 100 of them), but that doesn't mean it's some edutainment title aimed at little kids. Kingdom Hearts turns out to be quite a challenge at times, especially when you have to duel some characters from the various Final Fantasy games, including the mighty Cloud, whom handed my ass to me in less than a minute.

Kingdom Hearts puts you in the role of Sora, a 14-year old boy living on a secluded island with five other kids (no adults, yay!). Everybody on the isle has always wanted to explore the world, since they've pretty much always live on the island from what I gather.

Might want to stop reading if you don't want to hear the story just yet.

Thus the story begins, your [Sora's] world is enveloped in darkness, and you get to go exploring ... but you get a little more than you bargained for.

The darkness that envelopes your world spawns a massive vortex in the sky, which sends Sora and his best friend Riku (not Rikku from Final Fantasy X) into a couple of evil looking portals. As it seems, Sora blacks out in the process, waking up in Traverse Town, where his adventure really begins, and he meets Cid (the one from Final Fantasy VII, and no, he isn't smoking) who runs an accessory shop, and you can always go there of you need to be healed via the save point.

Okay, that's enough on the story, no more major spoilers.

The control scheme seems a little strange at first, but you get used to it as you find out how well it was designed.

Basically, it's like this:

-X is the action button, it does whatever you have selected in the command menu at the time (which will usually be Attack).

-O jumps. You'll need this.

-Square is the Ability button. You equip abilities, and certain ones are activated by the Square button. You won't find many of these.

-Triangle has one use, I'll et to that in a minute.

-R1 locks on to an enemy, very much like the N64 Zelda games.

-L2 & R2 rotate the camera, and switch targets when locked-on. Pressing both at the same time center the camera behind Sora.

-L1 opens the Magic Shortcut menu. You can assign the X, Square, and Triangle buttons to use Magic quickly by holding L1 and pressing the coresponding face button.

Left stick moves, right stick an d-pad go through the Command menu, and R3 does the same thing as X.

The controls are very tight and responsive as needed for a game like this.

The graphics are on par with those of Final Fantasy X, and the characters sport very good animations, especially when talking. And the special effects show Squaresoft's special brand of flair to them, seen in Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and X.

As some of you may have heard, the voice acting is top-notch, and indeed it is. Almost all of the Disney characters' voices are done by thier original voice actors. One exception is the Genie from Aladdin, whose voice is done by the guy who does Homer Simpson's voice (and you can tell by listening, although he does a very good job on the Genie). And yes, poor Sephiroth has his voice done by Lance Bass [queue laugh track].

The musical scores and sound effects are high-quality. When travelling to different worlds you'll immediately recognise the music (if you've seen the alotted Disney movie). And of course, Hikari by Utada Hikaru is a nice touch, and it was translated into english for the US release.

-

Overall, I'd rate this game 9.5/10, it's only real downfalls are occasional slowdown (which is forgivable, seeing as it rarely ever happens), the difficulty (which can get really frustrating at times), and sometimes the cutscenes leave you kind of clueless as for what you need to do next and don't really point you in any specific direction.

For fans of the recent Final Fantasy games, and die-hard Square addicts, you simply must play this game, and it helps to have a tolerance/liking of classic Disney characters as well. And you might want to just rent the game first, as it can get a tad hard if you happen to have slow reflexes.

...Maybe I should write more reviews on games...

Dangerous55
Sep 21, 2002, 08:51 PM
Is there lots of items to pick up? Like if you kill Joey McJoe does he drop swords and gold? I like it when there lots of treasurs and not like 4 weapons for each person through the whole game.

Dabra
Sep 21, 2002, 10:55 PM
Erm those button explanations weren't necessairy.

I mean if your a review reader, and don't have a PS2, who cares? and it was almost half of the review....almost.

Game looks good though.

ginko990
Sep 21, 2002, 11:06 PM
Im playin the game too...IT IS AWSOME.

Im about to finish Tarzan are. It rules I love this game.

LieutenantDwAnGStick
Sep 21, 2002, 11:51 PM
all i have to say about this game is:

This game is off the charts

(very good)

Kasera
Sep 22, 2002, 05:52 AM
It's not a bad game. I'm not gonna call it the best or anything but it's definitely worth the $50 and very well done. You don't really feel too pummelled with either Disney or Square elements. They're all balanced out very well. Gotta hand it to them, I wasn't sure it'd work but they seem to have made it.

Shadow_Blade
Sep 22, 2002, 08:32 AM
Oh god, now i wanna play the game. I mean, the comercial looked pretty bad but i hear all this good stuff about it...to bad i'm broke...*looks under his couch* yay a nickel!

Rotis
Sep 22, 2002, 08:33 AM
I don't know, the fact that people are even giving this game a chance--regardless of whether or not it's good, which it seems to be--makes me laugh. Fucking hypocrites.

To quote...
"If Kingdom Hearts is ported to the GameCube, then it'll be Nintendo reaching a new low, resorting to Disney characters to hold its kiddy audience. But on the PS2, Donald Duck is the MAN!!!"

Ness
Sep 22, 2002, 09:03 AM
Good point Rotis.

After reading your review Kent, the game doesn't seem that gay anymore. I think I may rent it a blockbuster someday.

Kent
Sep 22, 2002, 10:45 AM
Yes, Dangerous, there are plenty of things to pick up apon the destruction of enemies; like Potions, Ethers, munny, and items used for making more items.

There are also little green balls that restore 1 HP each, and little bubbles that fill up your charge meter (and whn that's full, you recover 1 MP). And yes, 1 MP is a lot (I'm 21 hours into the game and I have 4 max), and the charge meter also fills up when an attack lands on an enemy, so you'll be getting MP at a solid rate... but these little bubbles help a lot if you rely on magic.

Cube
Sep 22, 2002, 11:30 AM
Ya, I got this game for my friend with my gamestop discount, and played it at his house for a while... surprisingly, it looked pretty good. Solid graphics, lush environments, interesting story... Looks like a good game.

Ness
Sep 22, 2002, 01:25 PM
Then get yourself a PS2 like the rest of us and start palying!

Balthor
Sep 22, 2002, 02:52 PM
Fine, fine looking game. I'd pick it up, but I've yet to invest in a PS2.

Deathscythealpha
Sep 22, 2002, 03:22 PM
And yes, poor Sephiroth has his voice done by Lance Bass [queue laugh track].

Whos Lance Bass? I probably know, but i just need reminding what hes done before. And if hes bad, i an mock my friend whos a big Sephiroth/Final Fantasy 7 fan type chap.

[quote]
I don't know, the fact that people are even giving this game a chance--regardless of whether or not it's good, which it seems to be--makes me laugh. Fucking hypocrites.

To quote...
"If Kingdom Hearts is ported to the GameCube, then it'll be Nintendo reaching a new low, resorting to Disney characters to hold its kiddy audience. But on the PS2, Donald Duck is the MAN!!!"
[quote]

Yeah, that seems about right. People wont look at anything what looks just slightly cartoony or disney on Gamecube, but stick PS2 and Squaresoft with it...

Ha ha, PS2 and Squaresoft are for kiddys (the irony).

And Donald Duck pisses me off! He needs a good kick in the head!

Moo2u
Sep 22, 2002, 06:28 PM
Cid Highwind quit smoking? Good for him! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I just have one question, does Sephiroth kill anyone? If so,who! I'm just wondering cause that's what he does, you know, he kills people...

...hehe...Donld Duck kicks ass. I really like his early stuff. ^_^

Reno
Sep 22, 2002, 07:30 PM
On 2002-09-22 13:22, Deathscythealpha wrote:
Whos Lance Bass? I probably know, but i just need reminding what hes done before. And if hes bad, i an mock my friend whos a big Sephiroth/Final Fantasy 7 fan type chap.

Isn't he in N-SYNC? Surely that would be enough to mock your friend about o_O

ginko990
Sep 22, 2002, 08:33 PM
To quote...

...Donald Duck is the fucking man, you remember that.

WraithAkaMrak
Sep 22, 2002, 09:04 PM
On 2002-09-22 16:28, Moo2u wrote:
Cid Highwind quit smoking? Good for him! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gifI was wondering which Cid they were going to have. I suppose FF VII's Cid is the most logical choice.

Ziggy-san
Sep 22, 2002, 09:40 PM
The square part of the game makes me want to play it. The Disney part of the game makes me NOT want to play it.

Of course, I don't have a PS2, but if it sells millions and millions of copies, maybe we'll see a PC version...uhhh...eventually.

RellikTakahashi
Sep 22, 2002, 09:53 PM
From your description the Game sounds fun and is worth buying. Is it?

LostHero
Sep 23, 2002, 02:52 AM
Beautiful game!

The classic intro cgi is the best I've ever seen IN ANY game, cute song too. (FFX's intro of his hometown being destroyed cuts it close)
I agree, the battle is spectacular and interesting... and although somethings are corny, this game is the first game thats ever made me laugh.
Theres something about seeing Squall (super badass now) shoot your whiny character in the face they kill you in one hit is hilarious. Just seeing all your favorite FF characters alone makes this game worth the buy. On a side note lets just say that one of the sidequests uber impossible bosses is Sephiroth... nuff said.
If anyone is interested in the themesong its sung by:

Utada Hikaru - Hikari

Bravo Square for pulling off this weird concept so well.

LostHero
Sep 23, 2002, 02:56 AM
Btw: Yet another game to secure PS2's unshakable title as RPG god of all consoles lol.

Heres the theme song

Theme song link (http://www.freewebz.com/heavenshammerguild/Hikari.mp3)

You need to "Save Target As"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LostHero on 2002-09-23 01:13 ]</font>

Kasera
Sep 23, 2002, 04:59 AM
Okay upon further time spent with the game I can only gripe so far that the camera just does not do its job all the time...

then again I can't think of a 3D game that truly has a solid camera. Minimial gripe, but it does lead to frustration.

Ness
Sep 23, 2002, 06:17 AM
On 2002-09-22 19:40, Ziggy-san wrote:
The square part of the game makes me want to play it. The Disney part of the game makes me NOT want to play it.

Of course, I don't have a PS2, but if it sells millions and millions of copies, maybe we'll see a PC version...uhhh...eventually.

Actually, I think the fact that they are coming together makes it interesting. I mean you get to beat up all those Disney characters that you hate (and sometimes help them). I think it makes a very good combination.

Deathscythealpha
Sep 23, 2002, 08:46 AM
On 2002-09-22 17:30, Reno wrote:

On 2002-09-22 13:22, Deathscythealpha wrote:

Isn't he in N-SYNC? Surely that would be enough to mock your friend about o_O

Well, searching on Google ended up with various N-Sync sites, so i think your right. Man, my mate is going to hate Squaresoft for that!

Sion
Sep 23, 2002, 12:25 PM
ohhh i remember the day i put that master piece on my ps2, the first time i got a glace to it i fell in love...

square sure made a winner with kingdom harts... i can't stop playing it...it's soo cool you just want to know what happens next, kinda like the ffx fealing...but come one don't get fool because of the disney thing, it's well worth it...50 bucks wouldn't cover what his game is really worth, because is hard to get tired of, it has summons, ff stuff, disney stuff, comic, sadness, adventures, almost everything... and if you are one of those that doens't want to play it because it says "disney" well prejudice is an ugly think..don't hate...investigate...

an man is this a long game for an action rgp...im arriving in atlantica... let's see what that world is about.. hehe

Kent
Sep 23, 2002, 01:43 PM
On 2002-09-22 16:28, Moo2u wrote:
I just have one question, does Sephiroth kill anyone? If so,who! I'm just wondering cause that's what he does, you know, he kills people...

He's not part of the story, you can just fight him in the Olympus Coliseum after a certain point in the game. As for killing anybody... he killed me in two hits, and I've beaten the final boss easily...

So you could say he's the "Emerald Weapon" of Kingdom Hearts, meaning you'll have some serious bragging rights if you can beat him (and some day, I will!). http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Even worse, you have to fight him one-on-one, no Donald or Goofy to help you.

I beat ther game in about 40 hours, so it's about as long as Final Fantasy VIII or IX.

...But I can't stop playing! There's so much left to do, like beating Sephiroth and doing a bunch of side-quests, so I'll be hooked on this game for a while more.

And just so you people know, this game is more like a Final Fantasy Action/RPG than a Disney game, it just has some Disney characters for different parts of the game reguarding to the story, I would elaborate, but I don't want to spoil anything.

BlackRose
Sep 23, 2002, 02:04 PM
Methinks I must get this game. I like disney, I like Square... how can I go wrong?

geewj
Sep 23, 2002, 02:33 PM
k, ill get it.....but if they homoifed squall *shakes fist* there will be hell to pay.

LieutenantDwAnGStick
Sep 23, 2002, 03:45 PM
whomever said the disney part of it sucks.. well, you suck

i mean this game is great. it makes u feel young again. it brings you back when ur imagination was limitless. disney is a big part of our culture. i would never imagin meeting all those characters in one game.

there is nothing wrong with playing kiddy games (im not calling it kiddy i think it is just ... disney)

An adult is only a kid with more learned morals.

i heart kingdom hearts http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mazarin
Sep 23, 2002, 04:19 PM
See, this is why I'm not into RPGs as much as the other guy. If *I* was in an area, that involved me opening a rickety, locked, door, I wouldn't choose to go on some ass-quest about statues, momuments, and the notion that all mankind must get along w/ one another, just to get a key, and then have to fight all the way back, just so I can open this door. I'd cut all the bullshit, and BREAK THE FUGGIN' DOOR DOWN. It's rickety, and usually, you're some strong, able-bodied warrior/officer/fighter. And all that's in the next room is... another locked door.

In a REAL RPG, I'd be able to go on this quest to find the "King." I'd then proceed to slay him. Then come back to the castle, and inform the town that I had slain him, and now rule the kingdom with an iron fist. First order under my regime is anyone whos taglines include "gorsh," wore any gawdy polkadotted bows, and all animal people who neglect to wear pants, are to be drawn and quartered. Second order is that all talking/dancing silverware, dinnerware, and kitchen utencils are to be smelted down into warriors armor. Thirdly, all fairys voiced by Angela Lansbury(or some other old bag) are to be tried as witches, and burned at the stake. Finally, all talking animals are to be captured and skined. The meat will be chared to remove any evil enchantments, and the pelts will be sold in the marketplace to fund my new invention known only as, "The Car."

Now THAT'S an RPG.

Ness
Sep 23, 2002, 09:18 PM
On 2002-09-23 14:19, Mazarin wrote:

In a REAL RPG, I'd be able to go on this quest to find the "King." I'd then proceed to slay him. Then come back to the castle, and inform the town that I had slain him, and now rule the kingdom with an iron fist. First order under my regime is anyone whos taglines include "gorsh," wore any gawdy polkadotted bows, and all animal people who neglect to wear pants, are to be drawn and quartered. Second order is that all talking/dancing silverware, dinnerware, and kitchen utencils are to be smelted down into warriors armor. Thirdly, all fairys voiced by Angela Lansbury(or some other old bag) are to be tried as witches, and burned at the stake. Finally, all talking animals are to be captured and skined. The meat will be chared to remove any evil enchantments, and the pelts will be sold in the marketplace to fund my new invention known only as, "The Car."

Now THAT'S a RPG prime example of a Totalitarian society.

I think it's time for someone to have their daily bitch-slapping.
* Bitch-slaps Mazarin
* Child's voice
* Climbs in Kent's lap
Finish the story Grandpa.

*EDIT*
Sorry Mazarin I have nothing against you I just had to revive you from you alterd state. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2002-09-23 19:19 ]</font>

Robert_Garcia
Sep 23, 2002, 09:34 PM
On 2002-09-21 18:47, Kent wrote:
Square's latest game turns out great, and it's one of, if not the, best Action/RPG games I've ever played.

At first glance, a lot of people see the Disney logo and think "kiddie." Sure, it has loads of Disney characters all over throughout the game (over 100 of them), but that doesn't mean it's some edutainment title aimed at little kids. Kingdom Hearts turns out to be quite a challenge at times, especially when you have to duel some characters from the various Final Fantasy games, including the mighty Cloud, whom handed my ass to me in less than a minute.

Kingdom Hearts puts you in the role of Sora, a 14-year old boy living on a secluded island with five other kids (no adults, yay!). Everybody on the isle has always wanted to explore the world, since they've pretty much always live on the island from what I gather.

Might want to stop reading if you don't want to hear the story just yet.

Thus the story begins, your [Sora's] world is enveloped in darkness, and you get to go exploring ... but you get a little more than you bargained for.

The darkness that envelopes your world spawns a massive vortex in the sky, which sends Sora and his best friend Riku (not Rikku from Final Fantasy X) into a couple of evil looking portals. As it seems, Sora blacks out in the process, waking up in Traverse Town, where his adventure really begins, and he meets Cid (the one from Final Fantasy VII, and no, he isn't smoking) who runs an accessory shop, and you can always go there of you need to be healed via the save point.

Okay, that's enough on the story, no more major spoilers.

The control scheme seems a little strange at first, but you get used to it as you find out how well it was designed.

Basically, it's like this:

-X is the action button, it does whatever you have selected in the command menu at the time (which will usually be Attack).

-O jumps. You'll need this.

-Square is the Ability button. You equip abilities, and certain ones are activated by the Square button. You won't find many of these.

-Triangle has one use, I'll et to that in a minute.

-R1 locks on to an enemy, very much like the N64 Zelda games.

-L2 & R2 rotate the camera, and switch targets when locked-on. Pressing both at the same time center the camera behind Sora.

-L1 opens the Magic Shortcut menu. You can assign the X, Square, and Triangle buttons to use Magic quickly by holding L1 and pressing the coresponding face button.

Left stick moves, right stick an d-pad go through the Command menu, and R3 does the same thing as X.

The controls are very tight and responsive as needed for a game like this.

The graphics are on par with those of Final Fantasy X, and the characters sport very good animations, especially when talking. And the special effects show Squaresoft's special brand of flair to them, seen in Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and X.

As some of you may have heard, the voice acting is top-notch, and indeed it is. Almost all of the Disney characters' voices are done by thier original voice actors. One exception is the Genie from Aladdin, whose voice is done by the guy who does Homer Simpson's voice (and you can tell by listening, although he does a very good job on the Genie). And yes, poor Sephiroth has his voice done by Lance Bass [queue laugh track].

The musical scores and sound effects are high-quality. When travelling to different worlds you'll immediately recognise the music (if you've seen the alotted Disney movie). And of course, Hikari by Utada Hikaru is a nice touch, and it was translated into english for the US release.

-

Overall, I'd rate this game 9.5/10, it's only real downfalls are occasional slowdown (which is forgivable, seeing as it rarely ever happens), the difficulty (which can get really frustrating at times), and sometimes the cutscenes leave you kind of clueless as for what you need to do next and don't really point you in any specific direction.

For fans of the recent Final Fantasy games, and die-hard Square addicts, you simply must play this game, and it helps to have a tolerance/liking of classic Disney characters as well. And you might want to just rent the game first, as it can get a tad hard if you happen to have slow reflexes.

...Maybe I should write more reviews on games...

Was there any doubt that this game was a masterpiece?

Sqaresoft = The best gaming company when it comes to RPGs their RPGs are unsurpassed.

Disney = Known for making probably the greatest animated motion pictures in the States.

Put them together, you KNOW the product is gonna be a masterpiece for sure! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

RavenTW
Sep 23, 2002, 09:38 PM
I must agree that at first glance I thought Square was outta there minds! But after looking a little more, I must say that this game is worth a buy (now, to get un-grounded, get a job, buy a PS2, and GET THIS FRIGGIN GAME!!!)

It's nice to know that Mushu's in it (He might not do THAT much, but at least he's there!) also.

I heard that you start by choosing a Sword, Shield, or Staff (sword for attack, Shield for defense, and staff for magic) that affects the fighting system. Is this true? If so, which would you suggest?

BlackRose
Sep 23, 2002, 09:52 PM
How long is this game? Should I get my own PS2 or just continue to borrow my brothers'? (he'll want it back in 2-3 months)

Dellimia
Sep 23, 2002, 11:57 PM
On 2002-09-22 06:33, Rotis wrote:

To quote...

Haha, Nintendo haters now don't have a right to say that the company is "kiddy" anymore. Kingdom Hearts...thanks to the explanation given by that individual, I'm even MORE interested in it. Gah, I wish I had the money for it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mazarin
Sep 24, 2002, 01:31 AM
On 2002-09-23 19:18, Ness wrote:
Now THAT'S a RPG prime example of a Totalitarian society.

I think it's time for someone to have their daily bitch-slapping.
* Bitch-slaps Mazarin
* Child's voice
* Climbs in Kent's lap
Finish the story Grandpa.

*EDIT*
Sorry Mazarin I have nothing against you I just had to revive you from you alterd state. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You're just jealous that you didn't think of it first http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

LostHero
Sep 24, 2002, 04:01 AM
On 2002-09-23 12:33, Prof_Frink wrote:
k, ill get it.....but if they homoifed squall *shakes fist* there will be hell to pay.

Squall is the 3rd gnarliest person in the game besides the God they made Sephiroth out to be and the best fighter in the world they made cloud to be.

Is it just me or has anyone noticed Square is purposfully trying to prove how superior their characters are? I mean its the small things... For example have you met a FF character yet who hasnt looked down on the main char?
Example 1: Traverse town. When the heartless attack squall shatters the window and dives out it swiflty landing on his feet and comanding the others around... while we see Sora come hobbling down the steps and out the door, not to mention the beating he gave sora.
Example 2: Cloud... Not only does he wear a dark red cape now... but hes a freaking hired mercenary for the God of hell... They make a point to say he is the strongest fighter in their world (stronger than hercules).
Example 3: Sephiroth... you try fighting him yet? Hah, I'm really starting to think square didn't want him to be killed because besides his 1-2 hit kills and uber attacks and combos I see no feasable way of killing him whatsoever.

Bleh every FF character I've run into so far is made out to be a God except for Squall/Leon who we can consider a demi god. None of them show any respect for the kid except for Cid which I assume is because he's become a drunk after quitting smoking. The only other decent character is Riku...

Ness
Sep 24, 2002, 06:21 AM
I have yet to play this game but hope to soon.

Kent
Sep 25, 2002, 03:19 AM
About Cloud, Squall, and Sephiroth...

Using Sora alone, I completed the Hades Cup Tournament, which is 49 fights back-to-back without getting to recover between fights, in one run.

Somewhat of a Spoiler

The 20th fight from the top you fight Cloud and Squall on a team, and I beat both of them using just Sora... Excuse the expression, but they were nerfed.

I have a feeling that I won't be beating Sephiroth any time soon, but I should be able to beat that Ice Titan once I get his pattern and timings down. Guard will be your best friend in that fight.

END SPOILERS

Yes, you start off by choosing one of three powers:

-The Sword, representing Strength and attacking abilities.

-The Shield, representing Defense, high HP, and support abilities.

-The Staff, representing magic, high MP, and magic and MP recovery abilities.

After choosing one power to be superior over others, you have to chose a power to give up, making it inferior to the others. The third power remains in mediocrity.

I picked the Sword and gave up the staff, for the reason of having high attack power, but also having moderate defense. It also keeps the group dynamic going (Donald is the spellcaster, he throws magic around, and Goofy is the defensive tank, he gets a LOT of HP and defense).

Needless to say, Sora's attack power on my game is so high, few normal enemies stand more than 2-3 hits (bosses take a lot more, of course). And then I've got all those special attacks that do even more damage (of course, few things beat the Stopga-Thundaga-Bambi summon combo!).

Ness
Sep 25, 2002, 05:40 AM
On 2002-09-25 01:19, Kent wrote:
About Cloud, Squall, and Sephiroth...

Using Sora alone, I completed the Hades Cup Tournament, which is 49 fights back-to-back without getting to recover between fights, in one run.

Somewhat of a Spoiler

The 20th fight from the top you fight Cloud and Squall on a team, and I beat both of them using just Sora... Excuse the expression, but they were nerfed.

I have a feeling that I won't be beating Sephiroth any time soon, but I should be able to beat that Ice Titan once I get his pattern and timings down. Guard will be your best friend in that fight.

END SPOILERS

Yes, you start off by choosing one of three powers:

-The Sword, representing Strength and attacking abilities.

-The Shield, representing Defense, high HP, and support abilities.

-The Staff, representing magic, high MP, and magic and MP recovery abilities.

After choosing one power to be superior over others, you have to chose a power to give up, making it inferior to the others. The third power remains in mediocrity.

I picked the Sword and gave up the staff, for the reason of having high attack power, but also having moderate defense. It also keeps the group dynamic going (Donald is the spellcaster, he throws magic around, and Goofy is the defensive tank, he gets a LOT of HP and defense).

Needless to say, Sora's attack power on my game is so high, few normal enemies stand more than 2-3 hits (bosses take a lot more, of course). And then I've got all those special attacks that do even more damage (of course, few things beat the Stopga-Thundaga-Bambi summon combo!).

Here you are; you've beaten the game already and I'm still on FFX. Don't leave me behind Kent.

Gryph
Sep 25, 2002, 12:22 PM
few things beat the Stopga-Thundaga-Bambi summon combo!)

That just sounds so damn funny. XD

Kent
Sep 25, 2002, 04:36 PM
On 2002-09-25 10:22, Gryph wrote:

few things beat the Stopga-Thundaga-Bambi summon combo!)

That just sounds so damn funny. XD

Yeah, but it's very effective, especially if you've focused in magic at the start of the game.

Thunder, Thundara, and Thundaga zap enemies all around you; Stop, Stopra, and Stopga stop enemies in time; and Bambi, when summoned, is constantly prancing around spewing large, clear orbs that can quickly fill up your MP, allowing you to cast Thunder spells consecutively, and Stop/ra/ga will keep them from doing anything.

Works even better with MP Haste and Treasure Magnet abilities equipped. Unfortunately though, Time magic doesn't last very long on bosses (1/2 of a second on Sephiroth).

Speaking of Sephiroth, I got him down to half HP today, and it takes about four consecutive hits for him to kill me now, but I can heal before he does that! The reason I lost was because of a special attack he used on me that you'll remember from Final Fantasy VII (not Supernova).

On 2002-09-25 03:40, Ness wrote:
Here you are; you've beaten the game already and I'm still on FFX. Don't leave me behind Kent.

Sorry, but me = RPG Master. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Final Fantasy X was too easy, and the last boss in Kingdom Hearts is pitifully easy.

I think Square's getting soft on us...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2002-09-25 14:43 ]</font>

Darrin
Sep 26, 2002, 05:01 PM
My brother gots it but our PS2 doesnt work