PDA

View Full Version : Selling out.

Jehosaphaty
Feb 8, 2006, 11:32 PM
I have a huge decision on what to do with my life. Pursue animation, or become a dentist. I simply do not know, but I have to know. Soon. I feel like becoming a dentist is selling out.

Ketchup345
Feb 8, 2006, 11:38 PM
Go with the one you really want. You are still young enough to change your major/courses if you decide on the other (assuming your profile is correct on that).

Jehosaphaty
Feb 8, 2006, 11:51 PM
On 2006-02-08 20:38, Ketchup345 wrote:
Go with the one you really want. You are still young enough to change your major/courses if you decide on the other (assuming your profile is correct on that).

Going with the one I want is slightly the problem. I didn't explain very well:

Becoming a dentist is the most practical move because I have the chance to move back home and work with someone who is like a second father to me. The situation is essentially perfect for growth and the opportunity to make some nice money. Not that money is the sole importance, but it is a big factor.

Becoming an animator has always been a dream of mine. Not as practical, probably harder to succeed in, without a doubt less money involved early.

There are pros and cons to both, namely the ease factor of the dentist versus the eyecandy side of animator. I feel like I could enjoy both, I'm just having a hard time trying to decide between the two.

InfinityXXX
Feb 9, 2006, 12:34 AM
I would do with whichever one came first. You said being an animator has always been a dream of yours so I would go with that one.

ABDUR101
Feb 9, 2006, 01:22 AM
I'm of the ideal, that you persue something that will offer bread and butter, and a basis of secure living, and then persue other things.

If you fail as an animator, will you be able to pick up the peices easily and go be a dentist? Likewise, if you succeed as a dentist, you'll atleast have a foothold and something to always come back to, should animating fail.

Not telling you to give up on your dreams at all, but I'd much rather persue my dreams with a secure footing, than haphazardly attempt them and have them fail.

Jehosaphaty
Feb 9, 2006, 04:18 PM
On 2006-02-08 22:22, ABDUR101 wrote:
Not telling you to give up on your dreams at all, but I'd much rather persue my dreams with a secure footing, than haphazardly attempt them and have them fail.

I probably couldn't have said it better. This is essentially why I am leaning towards dentistry. I do have some time to ponder, though.

Horo
Feb 9, 2006, 04:24 PM
noo dont become a dentist the other one is much cooler if your a dentist people will hate you little kids will and there gonna talk about you and i hate when they do things like that they can lick my assgo with your life long dream

KaFKa
Feb 9, 2006, 04:35 PM
I've learned this myself the hard way - Don't chase dreams unless you have something to back you up.

You can always do animating as something off to the side, and it might one day become your mainstay of living. But until then, you need something to keep you afloat.

Solstis
Feb 9, 2006, 04:41 PM
I think that dentistry school has the highest suicide rate of any grad program. Or somesuch.

Just think about it some more. No harm in doing that.

Charmander02
Feb 9, 2006, 05:28 PM
money vs your dream.....i would pick my dream.

Then again money never hurt anybody either.

ai_no_usagi
Feb 9, 2006, 08:42 PM
I think that dentistry school has the highest suicide rate of any grad program. Or somesuch.

I believe that's actually because of Mercury poisoning caused by the Mercury in metal fillings.

Jehosaphaty
Feb 9, 2006, 10:05 PM
On 2006-02-09 14:28, Charmander02 wrote:

It is not necessarily a money versus dream issue, but one of practicality. Becoming a dentist would more than likely lend itself better to me being able to provide for myself and a future family. Anyways, thanks for the thoughtful responses.

opaopajr
Feb 10, 2006, 03:49 AM
you need a real career counselor. none of us here is going to be able to give you the professional help you need whereas a career counselor can. they will teach you the basics on how to do your own research in the future, as well.

one of the interesting things they do is help break down values, interests, and preferred skills. we usually don't think of ourselves in such an analytical way, but it helps bring clarity in an otherwise chaotic time.

but here's a quick help: interests can be intense, but if they can be satisfied otherwise, are not necessarily critical to a happy career. this is where some people in this topic are coming from.

preferred skills are ones that we enjoy using. we may be brilliant artists, but if we find ourselves enjoying detective work skills we might be drawn to another field entirely (or a whole field you never thought of that satisfies both!). if we never get a chance to exercise this and our interests we become unhappy campers and will eventually switch careers. no one continues practicing on what they have no desire to work on.

values, on the other hand, are huge. if what you are doing goes against what you value, there is no way, no matter the effort poured in, that you will stay with that career. if you value creative expression immensely, but have little to no value for economic security, then there's no way you can make dentistry work out. and vice versa. this way we get a sense of where you can go and feel fulfilled.

remember: find a job you love and never work a day in your life. that's a better way to pursue a career now, isn't it?

Charmander02
Feb 11, 2006, 09:17 AM
On 2006-02-09 19:05, Jehosaphaty wrote:

On 2006-02-09 14:28, Charmander02 wrote:

It is not necessarily a money versus dream issue, but one of practicality. Becoming a dentist would more than likely lend itself better to me being able to provide for myself and a future family. Anyways, thanks for the thoughtful responses.

Yes being a dentist would help you in the long run, but if being a dentist is something that you hate...well then you would be selling out just for the money.

i dunno im so confused

Daikarin
Feb 12, 2006, 09:01 PM
On 2006-02-09 19:05, Jehosaphaty wrote:
It is not necessarily a money versus dream issue, but one of practicality.

If that's the case, then go with what gives you a better income: It will allow you to fulfill your dream(s) as a hobby.

zwandude15
Feb 12, 2006, 09:54 PM
Assuming you're on this site for the same reason everyone else is, you're acquainted with the game.

Pursuing a career is similar to searching a special weapon in PSO.

Now think of it like:

1)I could get Heavens Punisher
2)I could get Psycho Wand

Both equally difficult I'd say.

Now, think of the ways you WANT to find it, either Bluefull Hildetorr or Purplenum Mil. I'm associating Sec. IDs with the different skills required to do each job. Especially seeing as how those paths are VASTLY different.

But what do you want more? The ultimate gun with awesome special? The wand with boosts and bonus' that make any FOlife easier? Here I'm associating the money vs. dream/appreciation part.

But depending on what you favor more, they BOTH have their advantages, and thus, serve an equally satisfying purpose.

Now, you don't want to pipe for one a few times and give up and go to the other, because you won't get anywhere like that right? Same with careers. If you pursue one only so far, and think the other one might be better, you're not going to succeed.

You must find dedication in one of your choices. You must find happiness in one of your choices. You must, more than anything, be sure of your choice. Procrastinating never got anyone anywhere...

Personally, I'm going to tell you just a few things. For one, be happy with it, whether it pays good or not, because even an animator can make lots of money if he lands in the right place. Two, choose something you won't regret, because you dont want to go to work, and wish you had that other job. And lastly, do something you're gonna be Damn good at. You can't just be a good animator and get by, you have to be great.

Same goes for a dentist...because if I had you as a dentist, and you bugged the crap outta me because you kept hitting the roof of my mouth with something sharp, I'd ask your boss for another dentist, and if he's losing customer satisfaction because of you, and loses money, he's gonna kick you out, looking for that other job...

PIT
Feb 13, 2006, 04:29 AM
damn, dude, you should be a psychologyst... O.o'

zwandude15
Feb 13, 2006, 08:11 PM
Its funny.

Thats what I want to be...

PIT
Feb 14, 2006, 09:42 AM
fine, so make me not want to kill everyone and everything.

mwahahahahah, you cant!

astuarlen
Feb 14, 2006, 11:40 AM
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have both the desire and skills to back it up. I don't know how adept you are at animation or what kind of potential you possess, but keep in mind that it takes a hell of a lot of dedication and talent to get anywhere in that field. I'm sure the same goes for dentistry. Good luck with your decision!

PIT
Feb 14, 2006, 02:19 PM
join up your hobby with your job. i guarantee, that you won't work for the rest of your life.

Tystys
Feb 14, 2006, 08:34 PM
Become a dentist...for now.
Once you have a good amount of money going, use it to get you the proper tools and stuff. If you get tools provided, that money can be used to get you a nice place, and to actually have something to eat everyday, O_O.

Like everyone has been saying. Don't give up your dream, but don't go at it without a backup.