PDA

View Full Version : WoW Profession's help.

Rion772
Feb 10, 2006, 04:39 PM
A question for anyone who is a pro or less new to the game than me. My blacksmithing is lv 190, I got rid of my Mining for Enchanting. I realized that materials for higher level armor and weapons will cost way too much money. Last night someone was selling plans for a Dwarven Land Mine; it's requirements are the following; 190 Engineering and it does roughly 360-564 damage. That is 2x as hard as my mace hits with at the minimum. But I'm not sure if I should drop my Enchanting for good and blacksmithing for good for engineering which would do more for me short term. Enchanting as you know can be very helpful, +100 health or +7 stamina on armor is quite useful. Also there isn't really much I can do with 1 slot taken up by enchanting so what do I do? I want the most beneficial, money making profession I can get but materials for higher level weapons can cost a couple hundred gold but I can make my character even stronger with enchantments and make my weapons better. So what do I do?

roygbiv
Feb 10, 2006, 05:01 PM
So... honestly, I think professions are really more of a gold sink than anything else. I sometimes think you would be better off with two gathering profs for a while if you were concerned about making money. All of the make things professions require a lot of gold to build up, and a lot of the times it seems like you if you are going to be making things for other people, you won't be making a huge profit. Gathering and selling to people seems like a much more direct profit making method. Then when you are somewhat higher level and have saved enough money for your level 40 mount drop one of the gathering profs and get a "build things" profession.

Rion772
Feb 10, 2006, 05:08 PM
On 2006-02-10 14:01, roygbiv wrote:
So... honestly, I think professions are really more of a gold sink than anything else. I sometimes think you would be better off with two gathering profs for a while if you were concerned about making money. All of the make things professions require a lot of gold to build up, and a lot of the times it seems like you if you are going to be making things for other people, you won't be making a huge profit. Gathering and selling to people seems like a much more direct profit making method. Then when you are somewhat higher level and have saved enough money for your level 40 mount drop one of the gathering profs and get a "build things" profession.

Ah but I get a free mount. I'm a Paladin. I think it would be best to stick with enchanting, maybe. Certain armor with a Lv 21 requirement can be disenchanted for mats worth 10-20g. I can also profit from enchanting by selling high level enchants later on. For my second profession I could just take up mining and mine a ton of stuff, then stop and get rid of it for engineering or blacksmithing. But I could also keep both of my professions I have now which is my Enchanting and Blacksmithing and have one of my family or guild members take up mining for me.

roygbiv
Feb 10, 2006, 05:17 PM
Damn Alliance!

But yeah that doesn't sound like a bad plan. I always forget that you can disenchant a lot of random stuff..

(makes me want to drop skinning for enchanting)

Madzozs
Feb 10, 2006, 05:33 PM
It really does depend on what you are planning on doing end game. If you are gonna PVP, engineering is awesome. You can make reflectors and nice little items like that. Enchanting is great when you get it high enough. It isn't necessarily expensive, unless you level that faster than you can get the mats. I don't remember if you said your level or not, but I know farming instances is a great way to get enchanting mats. I use enchanting for the sole purpose of disenchanting. I always hated getting a BoP from a raid roll and not having any use for it other than to vendor. At least when I DE it I can get some shards to sell or to use for my friend to enchant my gear.

Blacksmithing is always nice, but it really isn't going to get you any cash until later on...and by then the market will be basically flooded.

When I started playing I was Skinning/LWorking. After about a month I dropped LWorking and went to Herbalism. I sold my skins to the same guy over and over again for a decent price(being a rogue he hooked me up with some gear he made, and I gave him awesome prices on stacks of leather). Now, I am Enchanting and Alchemy. 300 alchemy is great, but since I don't do herbalism I lose a lot of cash for raid nights, but I'm a rogue so I can farm it all back easily.

Rion772
Feb 10, 2006, 10:43 PM
I'm a Lv 30 paladin, I've been grinding in the stockades for items and the 400xp per kill. So tomorrow morning I might run in and go through a few times and get as far as I can. I just gave up my holy talents and spent the 1g to be able to re-distribute them so I got Seal of Command in retribution and then went back to holy, next level I can get my beloved Consecration (AoE) back.