PDA

View Full Version : I can never watch Television the same again

Skuda
Feb 12, 2006, 07:43 PM
I blame this on my animation and storyboarding teachers. Don't get me wrong, they're cool guys. They both worked on the ren and stimpy cartoons too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif that is totally awesome in my books.

This isn't really a rant either, but I just feel like typing it out.

To get to the point, all my teacher's technical info had rubbed off on me... too much. Now when I'm watching TV, I will notice things like animation effects and scene transitions.

When I watch TV, I'm trying to pick out that sort of thing now, and I can't stop. I'll be sitting at home watching a cartoon, and I'll blurt out something like "heh, a wipe" or "lol, wave cycle."

Even when watching TV with friends, we'll say the name of any transition we come across.

so yeah, it kinda sucks that I can't really enjoy TV anymore without saying something stupid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott_Kuda on 2006-02-12 16:48 ]</font>

Dre_o
Feb 12, 2006, 08:38 PM
I can't watch movies without saying things like: "They're gonna shoot that gasoline barrel which is gonna blow the enemy to pieces." and watch it come true.

I'm just too good for my own good.

Sayara
Feb 12, 2006, 09:01 PM
Try listning to music and counting the chords and beating your hands to rythmns :|

If you major it, you become too involved in it.

Solstis
Feb 12, 2006, 09:50 PM
Yay for taking film analysis. Good thing that I've forgotten most of the terminology.

As an English major though... I have a hard time reading for pleasure these-a days.

Alielle
Feb 13, 2006, 02:55 PM
3D art student here, so I know exactly how that is. I liken it to learning the magician's tricks. :/

There is a bright side though: you gain a new appreciation for the work they've put into something, and you might even pick up some ideas for your own stuff as well. Your "normal" friends may not know what you're talking about, but it's a lot of fun to recognize their tricks sometimes. :B

RuneLateralus
Feb 13, 2006, 03:11 PM
I know that feeling.

I saw an old Scooby Doo and realized how horrible the continuity was for it. Like the characters are moving in once direction, then seemingly into the next.

Even a lot of story problems as well. My storyboard for animation class had screening of both Jimmy Neutron and Disney's Sleeping Beauty. The films are both poor in their structure. Jimmy Neutron comes off as "look what we can do with 3D camera" as opposed to concentrating on the story. And Sleeping Beauty...lets just say the fairies and Maleficent are the only good things about it (but what to do you expect when you take a short story and stretch it out into about an hour and a half).

When you learn these things, you really pick on them in all the aspects.

Neith
Feb 13, 2006, 07:11 PM
Same with me, when I see a games review.

'Oooh, not very well tiled textures there'
'Those polys don't look turned correctly'
'Damn, they should've used alpha channels'

So yeah, very hard for me not to criticise a game now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

InfinityXXX
Feb 13, 2006, 10:40 PM
Last year for English we spent half of a semester talking about commercials and alll the ways they try to persuade you and ever since then, I can see the cheap things commercials do to persuade people(believe it or not, they all work). Like sex appeal and bandwagon for Axe abodyspray. Heartstrings for Hallmark cards ads.

Otis_Kat
Feb 14, 2006, 05:34 AM
On 2006-02-13 19:40, InfinityXXX wrote:
Last year for English we spent half of a semester talking about commercials and alll the ways they try to persuade you and ever since then, I can see the cheap things commercials do to persuade people(believe it or not, they all work). Like sex appeal and bandwagon for Axe abodyspray. Heartstrings for Hallmark cards ads.

I hate when people say they have never bought anything because of a commercial, if you watch tv, you've bought something because of a commercial. You're not suppossed to know that's making you buy it. Damn subliminal advertismenting *sniffs axe*

anwserman
Feb 15, 2006, 01:22 AM
Don't worry.
Everytime I play a video game, I analyze how they did the graphics. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Deathscythealpha
Feb 15, 2006, 06:49 AM
Again, another person who has a problem playing some videogames due to my univeristy stuff. My flatmates hate it when I pick up on an error in a game or spot something that could/should have been fixed.

Worst part of it is finding sexual conatations in games due to studying it for a semester for disatation work. Its really bad when you keep finding suggestive narrative/scenery in Paper Mario of all games.

WraithVerge
Feb 17, 2006, 02:54 AM
Worst part of it is finding sexual conatations in games due to studying it for a semester for disatation work. Its really bad when you keep finding suggestive narrative/scenery in Paper Mario of all games.

Few of my friends joke about some scenes in the Chronicles of Narnia: LWW that seem somewhat close to child molestation...

"I've been a bad fawn..."

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 17, 2006, 03:32 PM
Just the same, ever since I started working in a Civil Engineering office, I can't drive down the street without seeing Centerlines and Right-of-Way lines. I also notice all the fire hydrants, because I've become aware that the little blue reflector just off the centerline is a marker for it.

On 2006-02-16 23:54, WraithVerge wrote:
Few of my friends joke about some scenes in the Chronicles of Narnia: LWW that seem somewhat close to child molestation...

"I've been a bad fawn..."

Yeah, I got that vibe, too. When I saw that, I was wondering what sort of screwed up things she was going to end up doing later in life because of what he ever the hell it was he did to her while she was asleep.

Sharkyland
Feb 18, 2006, 03:36 PM
The more you learn, the more you know... and sometimes you can sense (one of the 6 sense) better than others.

Even predictions can ruin things sometimes. Well at least you know what seems appropriate and when it's not appropriate.

In animation (animeshun), you can tell when it's a good time to fade and a good time to do a wipe. Of course, during the movies you don't want to spoil it for some people. Etc, etc, etc.

---

I'm a postman, so I begin to recognize all the streets, all the families with the cars blocking the box, all the collection mail, all of the mail terms, all the postman who are driving around delivering mail during my off days (or when I'm out of work).

Yay for more knowledge and deep appreciation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2006-02-18 12:38 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Feb 18, 2006, 10:46 PM
On 2006-02-15 03:49, Deathscythealpha wrote:
Again, another person who has a problem playing some videogames due to my univeristy stuff. My flatmates hate it when I pick up on an error in a game or spot something that could/should have been fixed.

Whoah, there was suggestive stuff in Paper Mario? At the time i had the game I was a bit young so I didn't catch anything but could you PM me what exactly was suggestive in an innocent cute game like paper mario(I've always had the idea that the original mario creation involved weed....."weird mushrooms" "turtles with wings"?

On topic though, I think that once you've seen or played a lot of something you start to be able to predict things. Like in RPG games, you can almost always guess whats going to happen.(I was able to guess a lot of things in Tales of Symphonia)

Also, now that I'm older, when I look at certain cartoons I can see how ripped off I am. In animes like Street Fighter V with the recycling animation and Dragon Ball Z with the whole buying time to keep up with the manga.

Sharkyland
Feb 19, 2006, 11:28 AM
On 2006-02-18 19:46, InfinityXXX wrote:
On topic though, I think that once you've seen or played a lot of something you start to be able to predict things. Like in RPG games, you can almost always guess whats going to happen.(I was able to guess a lot of things in Tales of Symphonia)

Seems most of it was pretty predictable... though it finally came together when they explained everything.