PDA

View Full Version : Fan Artist Contest Voting Gallery

Ryna
Feb 12, 2006, 09:23 PM
After some unexpected delays, the Fan Artist Contest Voting Gallery is now open. You can find it here:
http://www.pso-world.com/contestgallery.php

You will be able to cast one vote per category. The voting gallery will close at 21:00 PST on February 20th. If you are caught cheating, your entries will be disqualified and account priviledges revoked.

The winners will be announced shortly after the voting period ends. The artists for each picture will be revealed at that time too.

Please remember not to identify your entries. Doing so will result in your entry being disqualified. It is ok to make generalized comments about a piece, but do not try to identify the author (even though it maybe extremely obvious in some cases). Here is an example of what is allowed/not allowed:
Allowed: "That is an excellent piece. I like the paint applications on it."
Not Alllowed: "I think User_X drew this image. He did a horrible job."

Please post any feedback about contest entries in this thread.

TheOneHero
Feb 12, 2006, 09:51 PM
Wow, everything is just GREAT!

Everyone who submitted entries all deserve to win in my opinion; really, I love them.

Good job guys and good luck! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Edit* It seems quite obvious, but look at all the entries before voting. Just incase you find a better entry later on. :3

*Recalls all those time he's made this mistake* http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Won't be happening this time!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2006-02-12 19:00 ]</font>

Solstis
Feb 12, 2006, 09:52 PM
Like to say "good job" to everyone that got this up and running.

Good luck to all the contestants, and may the bloodbath voting begin!

KodiaX987
Feb 12, 2006, 11:10 PM
On 2006-02-12 18:51, TheOneHero wrote:

Everyone who submitted entries all deserve to win in my opinion; really, I love them.

Yeah, yeah, they all say that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sayara
Feb 12, 2006, 11:16 PM
Once they find out they lose everything changes =D

Good luck doods.

AzureBlaze
Feb 12, 2006, 11:39 PM
The entries are so great!
The funny ones are really hilarious, and there's tons of good art all around.

I was placing a vote for each catagory...when I got to the fan media videos. I tried to click the first one (has screenshot of RAcaseal as thumbnail) and it gives me a 404 error or a page cannot be displayed error. All the other ones load just fine.

Is it over-loaded by people watching it? Or did it break? I can't cast a vote until I see every entry from this catagory, so I will hold off. Has anyone else had this problem in the media?

It's not like it's running out of time, I was just excited to see the gallery up.

Jared_T
Feb 13, 2006, 12:00 AM
On 2006-02-12 20:39, AzureBlaze wrote:
I was placing a vote for each catagory...when I got to the fan media videos. I tried to click the first one (has screenshot of RAcaseal as thumbnail) and it gives me a 404 error or a page cannot be displayed error. All the other ones load just fine.

The first video is an .avi from what I can see it uses a Divx (http://www.divx.com) codec or simular. I'm not sure why it gives you a 404 though? It played just fine for me..

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Feb 13, 2006, 12:15 AM
figures I'm watching PSOW like a hawk all week waiting for the voting goes up, and once I stop paying attention, There it is!
A watched Fanart voting gallery never boils

I must say though, there are far fewer entries than I expected... especially for the humorous art category O.o

But I do like what I see! It's so hard to pick just one for the anything goes category... >.<

azjazo
Feb 13, 2006, 12:33 AM
I already casted my vote on everty category but the fanfiction one, I'll rad all the fanfics tomorrow at lunch hours in my job.

And I completly agree, Its hard to choose just one job in the AG category, there are a lot of jawdroping works there, and so many diferent styles, I liked that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 13, 2006, 12:45 AM
There was really a lot of creativity in the Anything Goes category. I was really quite pleased to see that so many entrants to advantage of the observation that the category isn't exclusively meant for traditional fan art.

RoninJoku
Feb 13, 2006, 02:16 AM
Ah... I too was expecting to see a few more entries... But I guess it was a pretty good turn out... I really like everyones work! I personally enjoy trying to guess which picture belongs to which user (though it's been quite a while since i've actively participated in the fan works section)

Oh yea and... Kudos to the song selection of Mr. Wonderful! ;D It brought a... Smile D.K. to my face http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 13, 2006, 04:06 AM
On 2006-02-12 20:39, AzureBlaze wrote:

Is it over-loaded by people watching it? Or did it break? I can't cast a vote until I see every entry from this catagory, so I will hold off. Has anyone else had this problem in the media?

I have gotten the same error upon clicking the link:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/5th/fanworks/5/fanmedia01.avi

It said I was missing a valid plugin which was not availible on the current server.

I do not want to vote until I see all the entries. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Neith
Feb 13, 2006, 06:32 AM
It loaded fine for me, I guess just keep trying.

Anyway, I've voted on all but the Short Stories (which I'll do later). Some very, very nice entries, was really hard to choose which to vote for in some categories.

Some of the artists/creators are obvious though XD

Ryna
Feb 13, 2006, 09:45 AM
For those having problems viewing the first entry in the Fan Media category, you will need the XVid or DivX codec to view it. If you are using a Windows machine, do a Google search for "xvid binary."

I'm not exactly sure why the 404 error is happening. The file is there and works for me. If you are having that problem, try saving it to your hard drive first.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Feb 13, 2006, 11:42 AM
On 2006-02-13 06:45, Ryna wrote:
For those having problems viewing the first entry in the Fan Media category, you will need the XVid or DivX codec to view it. If you are using a Windows machine, do a Google search for "xvid binary."

I'm not exactly sure why the 404 error is happening. The file is there and works for me. If you are having that problem, try saving it to your hard drive first.

I hope that 404 error doesnt hurt the total votes that user gets... Everyone that votes under that section should make sure they find a way to see it before they make their final vote...

Ryna
Feb 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
On 2006-02-13 08:42, Non-Toxic-Crayons wrote:
I hope that 404 error doesnt hurt the total votes that user gets... Everyone that votes under that section should make sure they find a way to see it before they make their final vote...

If anyone continues to have problems with that file, please let me know. There maybe some other issues that require further investigation.

Nisshoku
Feb 13, 2006, 12:20 PM
I still want to find out who drew my character in the contest. I've got a few ideas, but they did an awesome job!

Dhylec
Feb 13, 2006, 01:26 PM
-Nisshoku- wrote:
I still want to find out who drew my character in the contest. I've got a few ideas, but they did an awesome job!

Heh, you will find out once the names are revealed. ;]

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 13, 2006, 03:43 PM
On 2006-02-13 06:45, Ryna wrote:

The only thing that I can think of, is that people are choosing to Open instead of Save when asked what they want to do with the download. Going on the assumption that the file won't stream, I can suggest that what is going on, is the file is downloaded to a temporary location, then sent to the default media player. The web browser then determines that it is finished with the file, and deletes it before the media player can open it. I don't see that this would cause a 404 error, but it would cause the media player to provide an equivalent error.

Or it could be that the media player is trying to stream it, and that would cause a similar problem, as well. That's my thoughts on it. Jared_T might have a better idea.

Butoden
Feb 13, 2006, 05:56 PM
Some of the entries really made me laugh or amazed me by how nice they were! There were some difficult choices but at least that means there is some good competition!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Good job!!

azjazo
Feb 13, 2006, 08:18 PM
yep, lot of competicion, and that makes me wonder, what if there are 2 entries with the same number of votes? nd of course theyre in some of the 3 first places), I mean, its a Draw valid? or do you have some criteria to choose one?

Tomeeboy
Feb 13, 2006, 08:58 PM
On 2006-02-13 17:18, azjazo wrote:
yep, lot of competicion, and that makes me wonder, what if there are 2 entries with the same number of votes? nd of course theyre in some of the 3 first places), I mean, its a Draw valid? or do you have some criteria to choose one?

In these situations, the winner will be decided by a duel to the death.

Jared_T
Feb 13, 2006, 09:06 PM
On 2006-02-13 12:43, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

The only thing that I can think of, is that people are choosing to Open instead of Save when asked what they want to do with the download. Going on the assumption that the file won't stream, I can suggest that what is going on, is the file is downloaded to a temporary location, then sent to the default media player. The web browser then determines that it is finished with the file, and deletes it before the media player can open it. I don't see that this would cause a 404 error, but it would cause the media player to provide an equivalent error.

Or it could be that the media player is trying to stream it, and that would cause a similar problem, as well. That's my thoughts on it. Jared_T might have a better idea.

Well I’m not sure if any one is still having this problem but.. I have successfully downloaded the Vid on 5 different computers using 4 different OSs and 3 different browsers, and played on 5 different media players. All I can say is make sure you have the correct DivX/XviD codec’s. If you can't get it to work try a different computer if you can. Also it might be a good idea to set your browser properties back to default. [In IE hit Tool/Options, Security Tab then go down the list of zones and click Default Level.]

I'll try to replicate the problem on one of my comps. And report what I find.

Ryna
Feb 13, 2006, 09:09 PM
The XVid encode for Fan Media Entry #1 was replaced with a WMV a little while ago. As long as you have Windows Media Player (or a suitable plug-in), you should be able to play it.

Jared_T
Feb 13, 2006, 09:46 PM
On 2006-02-13 18:09, Ryna wrote:
The XVid encode for Fan Media Entry #1 was replaced with a WMV a little while ago. As long as you have Windows Media Player (or a suitable plug-in), you should be able to play it.

That explains that, I started getting some very inconsistent results with Internet Exploder. On one Computer it plays just fine the first time then I close WMP and it will only play the first frame or two. On the other I get a sub window witch closes and nothing happens, if I right click and do a save as I can play in Media player classic but nothing else. However it dose seem fine with Firefox. I’m trying to make sure that the problems are not just on my systems.

Oh I was able to get a 404 when I tried to view the video while I was logged out of PSO.

Dre_o
Feb 13, 2006, 09:58 PM
On 2006-02-13 17:58, Tomeeboy wrote:
In these situations, the winner will be decided by a duel to the death.

HahaHa! That will be interesting. Ten paces and draw your weapons! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Asukas vs Last Survivor

But yes, I am able to see the video now. It's cool. Can't...wait for ....the results.

Jared_T
Feb 13, 2006, 10:53 PM
I got the Vid to play on most of my computers. It looks like I was get a codec syncronazation problem (bad wmv9 codec) with IE. Works fine with Firefox. Should work fine on most computers as long as you don't try to do anything fancy with your codecs.

Sharkyland
Feb 14, 2006, 03:17 AM
Nice drawings everyone...

(btw, I didn't see this in the Voting Booth section o nthe side bar)

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 15, 2006, 05:30 PM
Erm who wrote "Voshay's Angels"?

Ryna
Feb 15, 2006, 06:23 PM
On 2006-02-15 14:30, SgtShligger wrote:
Erm who wrote "Voshay's Angels"?

You'll find out after the contest ends. It is against the rules to ask right now.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 15, 2006, 08:50 PM
???? against rules? I already voted...... can the ugy who wrote it pm about it?

Ryna
Feb 15, 2006, 09:11 PM
On 2006-02-15 17:50, SgtShligger wrote:
???? against rules? I already voted...... can the ugy who wrote it pm about it?

We want the contest to remain anonymous so it doesn't turn into a popularity contest. Asking the person to PM you would also be breaking the spirit of the rules. My suggestion to you is just to wait until after the voting period ends. You'll find out who the artists are then.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 15, 2006, 09:21 PM
but.... that's so cruel... i don't want to use my brain to think who wrote it... so i wait 'til the contest voteing is over. that'll be awhile.

Ryna
Feb 15, 2006, 09:24 PM
On 2006-02-15 18:21, SgtShligger wrote:
but.... that's so cruel... i don't want to use my brain to think who wrote it... so i wait 'til the contest voteing is over. that'll be awhile.

It will only be a few more days. Waiting that long won't kill you.

Eihwaz
Feb 15, 2006, 09:27 PM
Man, there were a lot of really awesome pieces in Anything Goes. It was hard for me to choose just one to vote for. :3

Dhylec
Feb 15, 2006, 09:44 PM
Eihwaz wrote:
Man, there were a lot of really awesome pieces in Anything Goes. It was hard for me to choose just one to vote for. :3

Yeah, make ya wanna have a second vote.
Too bad, no one can do it twice. ;3

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 15, 2006, 09:50 PM
grrrrrrrr.... i don't want a second vote... just to pm a short story writer... wanna make a comic of thier story (with thier permission of course) since it was so funny.

Eihwaz
Feb 15, 2006, 09:59 PM
SgtShligger, the mods have already told you what the rules are. You can wait, just like everyone else. :3

Dhylec
Feb 15, 2006, 10:05 PM
SgtShligger wrote:
just to pm a short story writer... wanna make a comic of thier story (with thier permission of course) since it was so funny.

Heh, then be patient & wait for the result of the voting. I bet ya that if the author of that story is reading this, s/he already heard you.

ForcefulFlare
Feb 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
Very many nice pieces, some that just LOOK really nice (I like Grants and Megid!) to the, er, very imaginative (O RPY? is good, lol).

Good to see people still bother making this stuff 5 years on. =D

Nai_Calus
Feb 18, 2006, 04:40 AM
I'm having trouble with the fan media category entries. I've tried the video one in three different players(Yes, I do have the divx codec installed) and it won't work, and I'm having trouble viewing both of the flash entries as well in that they stay loading forever and a year and never actually finish loading so I can watch them. T_T; (I'm not really having any other problems with flash right now that I know of... It's weird. X_x)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 18, 2006, 05:00 AM
Ian did you try to save the link as a file to your comp first, then view them through opening the files?

Doing that afore mentioned method allowed me to view all the entries(and thus vote). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nai_Calus
Feb 18, 2006, 05:08 AM
Yeah, I have the video saved. No dice. I've tried in windows media player, winamp and the divx player itself... Nada.

I eventually got the cooking with Dragoon one to work, but the other flash one still won't work, and the link is to a page with it, not the actual .swf. Anyone able to figure out a direct URL to the actual file so I can try to download it and see if that will work? (I dunno, maybe it's like... 5 megs or something and it's just taking so long to load on my dialup I think it's not working.)

Butoden
Feb 18, 2006, 08:46 AM
I has to open the flash movies on a new page and they worked for me then.

Ryna
Feb 18, 2006, 09:30 AM
On 2006-02-18 02:08, Ian-KunX wrote:
I eventually got the cooking with Dragoon one to work, but the other flash one still won't work, and the link is to a page with it, not the actual .swf. Anyone able to figure out a direct URL to the actual file so I can try to download it and see if that will work? (I dunno, maybe it's like... 5 megs or something and it's just taking so long to load on my dialup I think it's not working.)

If you want to download the .swf file for "Mr. Wonderful," here is the link (it is about 3.5 MB):
http://www.pso-world.com/images/5th/fanworks/5/MrWonderful.swf

Also, the video is now a wmv file. Try downloading it to your hard drive and viewing it in Windows Media Player.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tomeeboy on 2006-02-18 19:25 ]</font>

azjazo
Feb 20, 2006, 02:48 PM
Soooo, the voting period its about to end! I cant wait to see the results, please mods, dont be mean to us and anounce the winners as fast as human (beast, cast or newman) possible!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ryna
Feb 20, 2006, 06:36 PM
On 2006-02-20 11:48, azjazo wrote:
Soooo, the voting period its about to end! I cant wait to see the results, please mods, dont be mean to us and anounce the winners as fast as human (beast, cast or newman) possible!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

During the first PSOW Fan Artist contest, the voting period lasted for a couple of months. The winner was announced a few weeks after the voting period ended.

We're hoping to do better than that.

LockemanX
Feb 20, 2006, 08:39 PM
All I have to say is ... The Rappy entries were awesome. O RPY? So clever ...

And the one that made me cry of laughter was the cleverness of "Rappy Party" ... oh that seriously brought me to tears.

Well, hope to see the results soon. I loved the entries I saw ^____^... Great job everyone!

Nai_Calus
Feb 21, 2006, 03:33 AM
LockemanX is the only one to have figured out the surefire secret to getting my vote. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Just put Rati or Elly and Calus in it, and voila! Ians everywhere will be unable to resist. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Fanmedia was really close, though. There were a few submissions I liked about the same. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif (But of course, I'm sure we all knew where my vote went before I cast it.)

There was some great stuff in all the categories. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

astuarlen
Feb 21, 2006, 08:43 AM
Y'know, I thought Lockeman's music video was made by you, Ian, 'cause of all the Calus-and-Elly goodness.

Ryna
Feb 21, 2006, 08:54 AM
On 2006-02-21 05:43, astuarlen wrote:
Y'know, I thought Lockeman's music video was made by you, Ian, 'cause of all the Calus-and-Elly goodness.

If Ian had made the video, you would have at least seen brief cameos by a Rati mag and Lutz. ;D

Nisshoku
Feb 21, 2006, 09:24 AM
You say that as if it was a bad thing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ryna
Feb 21, 2006, 09:27 AM
On 2006-02-21 06:24, -Nisshoku- wrote:
You say that as if it was a bad thing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

From my viewpoint, Sato & Nidra > Rati and Chaz > Lutz/Rune. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif