PDA

View Full Version : Those ignorant fools!

KodiaX987
Feb 15, 2006, 09:34 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

You can't believe how often this happens.

Him: Ever played Mario Party?
Me: I don't have a GameCube.
Him: Okay, then ever played Shadow of The Colossus?
Me: I don't have a PS2.
Him: Then what about Project Gotham?
Me: I don't have an XBox.
Him: ...Valkyrie Profile?
Me: I don't have a Playstation.
Him: Man, are you a frickin' PC gamer or what?
Me: No, a Dreamcast gamer.
Him: A what??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KodiaX987 on 2006-02-15 06:34 ]</font>

darthsaber9x9
Feb 15, 2006, 10:18 AM
Dreamcast FTW

Kent
Feb 15, 2006, 12:00 PM
Dreamcast, ftw... About five+ years ago. Back when software was still being made for it (in the US).

KodiaX987
Feb 15, 2006, 01:57 PM
And amazingly, dreamcast is still FTW. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kent
Feb 15, 2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah, but after you've played through all your good Dreamcast games so many times... :/

Atayin
Feb 15, 2006, 02:31 PM
That's funny. I was just playing Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram the other day. I'll always love the Dreamcast.

Charmander02
Feb 15, 2006, 03:41 PM
Never owned or played Dreamcast(i know, i dont get out much)but what are the graphics like?

Atayin
Feb 15, 2006, 04:00 PM
On 2006-02-15 12:41, Charmander02 wrote:
Never owned or played Dreamcast(i know, i dont get out much)but what are the graphics like?

They're a little step down from current next-gen graphics. Dreamcast was the very first Next-Gen console, so it's got graphics around the same quality that the PS2 and Gamecube did when they first started out. Dreamcast was capable of way more, but never got to see it's full potential. I almost get upset just thinking about it...

EDIT: That's not to say that Dreamcast is about the graphics, though. It introduced a lot of fresh new concepts and innovations to console gaming. Less emphasis on generic, cloned (just like everything you've already played) games and a little more emphasis on trying different things. Games on Dreamcast tend to have more of an Arcade feel to them.

PSO was first released on DC, as was Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Ah, the good ol' days.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-02-15 13:03 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Feb 15, 2006, 04:04 PM
On 2006-02-15 06:34, KodiaX987 wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

You can't believe how often this happens.

Him: Ever played Mario Party?
Me: I don't have a GameCube.
Him: Okay, then ever played Shadow of The Colossus?
Me: I don't have a PS2.
Him: Then what about Project Gotham?
Me: I don't have an XBox.
Him: ...Valkyrie Profile?
Me: I don't have a Playstation.
Him: Man, are you a frickin' PC gamer or what?
Me: No, a Dreamcast gamer.
Him: A what??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KodiaX987 on 2006-02-15 06:34 ]</font>

fanboyism to the max. You're missing out on some good times. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Skorpius
Feb 15, 2006, 05:19 PM
So you posted this topic to tell everyone you play your Dreamcast? Ok, thank you.

Atayin
Feb 15, 2006, 05:28 PM
On 2006-02-15 14:19, Skorpius wrote:
So you posted this topic to tell everyone you play your Dreamcast? Ok, thank you.

I think he posted this topic to talk about how some people have never HEARD of Dreamcast and how irritating it can be. The obvious implication is that he plays it and it is his preference. That would probably explain who he's referring to in the topic name; "Those ignorant fools!" Makes sense, right?

It's the truth, too. A lot of people have forgotten about the DC, but it'll always be one of my personal favorites as well. I for one appreciate the thread. Long live the Dreamcast.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-02-15 14:30 ]</font>

Ladriachan
Feb 15, 2006, 05:53 PM
to be honest I think PSO looks better on dreamcast >_> but thats just me ^_^

Skorpius
Feb 15, 2006, 06:01 PM
On 2006-02-15 14:28, Atayin wrote:
I think he posted this topic to talk about how some people have never HEARD of Dreamcast and how irritating it can be.
More like how a "Dreamcast Gamer" is out date and unheard of today, and the fact that he claims to be one makes him "special" in some way because of it.

KodiaX987
Feb 15, 2006, 06:07 PM
On 2006-02-15 14:19, Skorpius wrote:

So you replied in my topic with nothing but flamebait? You're welcome.

Atayin
Feb 15, 2006, 06:19 PM
On 2006-02-15 15:01, Skorpius wrote:

More like how a "Dreamcast Gamer" is out date and unheard of today,

I'm a "Dreamcast Gamer". I'm also an "NES Gamer" and an "Atari Gamer", a "SNES Gamer" as well. I don't even own the popular next gen consoles. Am I out of date and unheard of today? I doubt it. There's nothing wrong with an appreciation for good games that didn't come out this year. Most of us call them "classics". They're timeless.

and the fact that he claims to be one makes him "special" in some way because of it.

A lot of people who like to play games today have never even heard of the SEGA Dreamcast or it's contribution to gamers. I don't consider myself a 'fanboy', but I quickly feel a comradery with people who like/d the Dreamcast. In this way, yes. A Dreamcast Gamer is special in that s/he stands out from the crowd of mainstream gamers, in having good taste and appreciation for quality games.

No reason to act hostile. I don't think anybody's intention was to condescend or try to be self-righteous.

trueprophecy
Feb 15, 2006, 06:54 PM
arent you the guy who tries and talk to people on aim cuz you have no real life friends nor a life.... >.>

KodiaX987
Feb 15, 2006, 07:10 PM
On 2006-02-15 15:54, trueprophecy wrote:
arent you the guy who tries and talk to people on aim cuz you have no real life friends nor a life.... >.>

So you WERE the same person! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif 'Bout time you be forward about it.

Atayin
Feb 15, 2006, 07:31 PM

Wow. I'm not sure who you're referring to, trueprophecy (my people on AIM are my IRL friends.. with the exception of 2), but regardless, you just tried to dish out a very low blow. Seriously. Did anybody deserve that?

Can't we just get nostalgic about the Dreamcast without harshing people out over it?

what is going on, here, did I miss something...? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

darthsaber9x9
Feb 15, 2006, 08:27 PM
Oh man, the Dreamcast love is so strong in here. I dunno what it is about sega, but I always got the impression that there was a more personal connection between the company's games/consoles and it's fans. Nothing satisifies me like Sega did back in the day. A result of my growing up? Quite possibly but regardless...Dreamcast FTW!

trueprophecy
Feb 15, 2006, 09:12 PM
On 2006-02-15 16:10, KodiaX987 wrote:

So you WERE the same person! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif 'Bout time you be forward about it.

i said yes im the same dude on aim... but im not the dude from the psoworld java chat room....

illiterate yes?

Atayin
Feb 15, 2006, 09:12 PM
It's fun to look back. I think the reason there is such a connection between SEGA and some of it's longtime fans may have something to do with it's origional marketing capaign...

http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/games/commercials/usa/dorks_dig_genesis.mpeg

Yeah, the styles are really dated so it looks hilarious now. But, when I was around 9 or 10 years old with my Genesis, gaming was still viewed as really "Nerdy". SEGA tried to make it look and feel officially 'cool' for us. That wouldn't mean much to me now, but looking back, I can understand why playing SEGA gave me a unique feeling as a kid. Even though I grew out of that, it was like Sega matured with me and still brought new things to the table with Dreamcast.

SEGA didn't only contribute a lot to gaming, but it did it with style. Some of us got attatched to that style, I think. I can't say I like much about Sega these days, but I still get nostalgic every now and then.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-02-15 18:13 ]</font>

darthsaber9x9
Feb 15, 2006, 09:17 PM
On 2006-02-15 18:12, trueprophecy wrote:

On 2006-02-15 16:10, KodiaX987 wrote:

i said yes im the same dude on aim... but im not the dude from the psoworld java chat room....

illiterate yes?

What the hell? Stop polluting this thread with your garbage!

LOL that marketing strategy is certainly a little different to most stuff these days. But ah, nostalgia is good. Although i'm shocked to see some Saturn games still going for £15 in my local gamestation!

Eihwaz
Feb 15, 2006, 09:21 PM

The irony of you posting this must've slipped past you.

EDIT: I'm aware that posting this message is also ironic, but for a different reason. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-02-15 18:22 ]</font>

Ryna
Feb 15, 2006, 09:35 PM
This thread has gone horribly off-topic. If you want to bring up locked FKL topics, use the Private Messaging System. I'll give this thread one more chance before I lock it.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 15, 2006, 09:49 PM
i didn't play the DC much... the graphics were better because Gamecube can do WAY better graphics wise compared to the DC. Not as an insult but they didn't change any of the graphics for GC 'til ep2. They also forgot to change the camera. Otherwise, DC had graphics good for it's time and it inovated online console gameing (hoorah!) The DC had a big flaw though... Sony. The DC would have sold way better but Sony lowered the price of the PS1 to $100. Sega stated that "it wouldn't make a difference in the sales of the DC." Look who is still makeing systems today. DC, as great as it was, was under privilaged due to marketing competition but eitehr way it was still great (Virtual On [i]had to be the greatest ol' skool console/arcade game i ever played!)

Atayin
Feb 15, 2006, 10:13 PM
On 2006-02-15 18:49, SgtShligger wrote:
(Virtual On [i]had to be the greatest ol' skool console/arcade game i ever played!)

Oh MAN! Wasn't it awesome? I'm gonna get hardcore nostalgic when I play PSU and make a Cast. Some of those options let you look exactly like a Virtuoid. In one of the screenshots, there's even a player named Angelan. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

(And thanks for giving this thread another chance)

Kent
Feb 16, 2006, 12:27 AM
I want an online Virtual On on my 360. :/

Blitzkommando
Feb 16, 2006, 12:51 AM
I waited until the end to purchase a Dreamcast, got one for $75 brand new with some games. I'm glad I did, it did have a some fun games.

To tell the truth though, I've spent far more time on other consoles than Dreamcast. I guess I was too busy enjoying Goldeneye and Super Smash Bros. on my Nintendo 64 to really connect, and by that time Gamecube was out so... it never really happened. As of late though, I've been playing far more PC games, everything from Doom to FEAR. All in all, I enjoy my classics, especially for the nostaglia, but I also love my new games that offer something that I haven't played yet. I still remember playing hours on my first game, Tetris for the Gameboy. Then Mario Bros. and, well, I've been gaming since.

I have to say though, it is certainly interesting to see people's reactions when I say that out of the three last-generation consoles, I prefer the GameCube over the Playstation 2 and Xbox. I generally get the, "WTF U NUTS!" or the 'I'm questioning your sexuality' looks. If it makes you that insecure to play games on a purple console then you should really re-evaluate your thought processes. (How many people complained about the colors of the buttons on with the Super Nintendo? Eh, eh?)

Squall179
Feb 16, 2006, 03:45 AM
On 2006-02-15 21:27, Kent wrote:
I want an online Virtual On on my 360. :/

thats doubtful, however there is a VO game o nthe PS2, Virtual-On MARZ

People have mixed feeligns abotu it though, I wont lie to you there...its a love or hate game basically

but yes..>VOOT FTW

Scopes
Feb 16, 2006, 05:56 PM
I miss DC... It'd still be a contender if they still made games for it... DAMN YOU EARTHQUAKES THAT DESTORY THE ANNOYING SINGLE PLANT THAT MADE NECESSARY CHIPS FOR THE THING, THAT SEGA TOOK THE SAFE BET ON NOT REBUILDING, EVEN THOUGH THEY WOULD HAVE MADE A LOT MORE MONEY THAT WAY!!!

</endrant>

And huzza to first post.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 16, 2006, 08:40 PM
Sony is responsible for segas console drop out. Virtual On ownt in the arcade though... fricken dual analogs... sword bot had to be the best. poor under privilaged dc.......... no more consoles for sega... just games... Phantasy Star: game series by sega that is a threat to the social lives of human beings- can easily drop 100 hours in a single week.

Luis
Feb 16, 2006, 11:05 PM
i got my dreamcast without any scratch on it, besides i got the full library of the dreamcast games (thanks cd burner!!!!)

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 17, 2006, 01:30 AM
On 2006-02-15 13:00, Atayin wrote:
They're a little step down from current next-gen graphics. Dreamcast was the very first Next-Gen console, so it's got graphics around the same quality that the PS2 and Gamecube did when they first started out.

Actually, from a technical stand point, the Dreamcast is right on par with the PS2; the difference in polygons per second is negligible, while the Dreamcast plays at a higher resolution and includes hardware-side anti-aliasing (whereas the PS2 has no built-in anti-aliasing whatsoever), automatically removing "jaggies".

Honestly, I just don't understand why the Dreamcast died.

Getintothegame
Feb 17, 2006, 01:40 AM
The thing is, SEGA re-released like half of their games on other consoles. Sonic, Shenmue, PSO, you know.

Don't get me wrong though, I loved the Dreamcast.

Kent
Feb 17, 2006, 02:15 AM
On 2006-02-16 22:30, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Honestly, I just don't understand why the Dreamcast died.

The previous generation definitely had something to do with it.

Despite having what I see as a lot more superior software, the Saturn was much less of a commercial success than the PlayStation was. It was hard to develop for, and most of the really good games for it, came straight out of Sega, itself.

The PlayStation's commercial success, and all of their support from Square, made people basically orgasm at the thought of its successor, effectively taking a chunk out of the Dreamcast's sales (despite, again, having lots of software that could be considered far superior).

...That reminds me, I need to find a new VGA box for my Dreamcast... I can't find my old one... :/

Atayin
Feb 17, 2006, 10:42 AM
I really liked the VMU as well. I thought it was an awesome idea, but the batteries always ran out.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Hrith
Feb 17, 2006, 01:27 PM
On 2006-02-16 22:30, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Honestly, I just don't understand why the Dreamcast died.Because 80% of the games sucked, were easily outclassed by PS1/2 games, because there wasn't a vast choice in games, let alone in genres, and for games that were good, better versions existed on other consoles, not to mention the horrible marketing (if any).

The remaining 20% was clearly not enough to make it live.

Maridia
Feb 17, 2006, 02:05 PM
On 2006-02-15 16:31, Atayin wrote:

Wow. I'm not sure who you're referring to, trueprophecy (my people on AIM are my IRL friends.. with the exception of 2), but regardless, you just tried to dish out a very low blow. Seriously. Did anybody deserve that?

Can't we just get nostalgic about the Dreamcast without harshing people out over it?

what is going on, here, did I miss something...? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Just to inform you, Kodia likes to irritate people he deems "noobs" and stuff on AIM. Trueprophecy is one such guy who was totally harassed all the time by Shuri, and many of the logs were posted in his "lol internet" thread for all to make fun of. Shuri, while a friend, is by no means the angel people make him out to be. In Skorpius' defense, Shuri is also enormously proud of the fact that he still plays his Dreamcast and nothing else, and enjoys stating it at every turn. Nothing wrong with that, but be aware please.

Moving on, I sadly missed out on many dreamcast games. When it was still kind of having games made for it, I borrowed my sister's boyfriend's and found PSO, where the first version of Kitty (my hune) was created. Sadly, I wasn't able to keep it, or go online for very long, but I had fun enough to get PSO at a later date when it was rereleased. Sadly, I had missed the "glory" of gamecube online days, but, oh well.

Dreamcast is a great little system, and anyone who still has a working one is lucky. Skies of Arcadia ftw.

Solstis
Feb 17, 2006, 03:18 PM
Did someone say Skies of Arcadia?

I side with EGM when it comes to the Dreamcast. Wonderful machine, bad timing.

Atayin
Feb 17, 2006, 05:12 PM
Maridia, thanks for bringing me up to speed in a patient and considerate way. From now on, I'll try to stay out of disputes that don't directly involve me seeing as how I may be completely unaware of both sides of the story. I remember a guy said once "No matter how thin you slice the bologna, there's always 2 sides to it." I'll take that advice.

And, Solstis

On 2006-02-17 12:18, Solstis wrote:
Did someone say Skies of Arcadia?

I side with EGM when it comes to the Dreamcast. Wonderful machine, bad timing.

So sad but so true. SEGA has got to have the worst timing ever when it comes to marketing their hardware! What was up with them releasing so many systems at once while their big hits were all on Genesis at the time? If they had JUST focused on Genesis and gradually brought new systems in.. I don't know what they were thinking.

Even Microsoft wouldn't have enough money to market so many systems (Genesis, Game Gear, 32X and Sega-CD.. was there another one? Who can keep track). I guess some of us should have known better when we expected them to learn from their mistakes when they released Dreamcast http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

I still don't regret buying one, but.. argh.. darn you, SEGA.

Maridia
Feb 17, 2006, 06:11 PM
You're welcome, Atayin. People on the forums often don't get to see all that goes/went on outside of here, on AIM/IRC. I'm sure Shuri will jump back in here at some point and be like THIS ISN'T MY ORIGINAL TOPIC, but oh well, he can eat me. <3

I could talk about Skies of Arcadia all day. Sadly, I keep getting to the end of it, and not being able to finish it. My DC konked out in the middle of the game and just stopped rereading it. Grandia 2 was also apparently a really good game, but I never got to play it. Sonic Adventure <3

Luckily, a lot of those games were moved on to other systems, so nobody has to miss out entirely. I think I'll love my copy of Sonic Adventure 2 for gc until the day I die.

I wish I had paid more attention during the DC's big days. Sadly, life always had me more distracted so I wasn't as able to get into things as I am nowadays. Age played a factor too. I regret never getting to really get my own DC, and watching is slowly peter out was sad. Sega is a great company, with great ideas, but they always seemed to have problems with the way they put things out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maridia on 2006-02-17 15:12 ]</font>

Kent
Feb 17, 2006, 06:42 PM
Man... Now I feel like playing Sonic Adventure 2... ._. That was a great game, I hope the Sonic game on PS3/Xbox 360 turns out that good.

Also, the Dreamcast has one of the best Gundam games I've ever played. Sidestory 0079: Rise from the Ashes. Mmm...

Atayin
Feb 17, 2006, 06:47 PM
On 2006-02-17 15:42, Kent wrote:

Also, the Dreamcast has one of the best Gundam games I've ever played. Sidestory 0079: Rise from the Ashes. Mmm...

I love that game. Almost everything about it is just great, especially considering the time it came out. The only thing I can't stand is how quickly I finish the game every time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I find myself saying.. "Just five more levels?.. please?"

Oh and those saber fights..... so awesome.