PDA

View Full Version : It burns... (Robby & the Brushfire)

Robert_Garcia
Sep 23, 2002, 09:10 PM
If some of you watch the news you probably may have heard about the massive forest fire in the San Gabriel Valley area of Southern California. Well I live less than 30 miles away from it. Yeah 30 miles is a long way, but its still pretty close. Close enough that you can see the flames as well as the smoke plain as day as well as smell the scent of smoke and charred life in the air. One may not notice it much, but its there.

In fact, my College is pretty close to it, so the stench of the smoke was everywhere. While some were unaffected by it, others found it nausiating. Now approximately 9 hours later, the fire has split up in two and has just reached over the closes mountain ridge and its even snowing ash in some areas of my hometown. I am watching it as we speak...

I know right now, Im quite safe...but once it reaches into the city, I know Im screwed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robert_Garcia on 2002-09-23 20:54 ]</font>

RavenTW
Sep 23, 2002, 09:13 PM
And your not 50 miles away from the fire WHY?

Hope the fire doesn't spread much further, for your sake as well as the sake of everyone (and everything, think of all the dead animals) else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RavenTW on 2002-09-23 19:15 ]</font>

Ness
Sep 23, 2002, 09:21 PM
Nooo!!! Robert you can't die, you're my favorite newbie.

Robert_Garcia
Sep 23, 2002, 09:27 PM
On 2002-09-23 19:13, RavenTW wrote:
And your not 50 miles away from the fire WHY?

Hope the fire doesn't spread much further, for your sake as well as the sake of everyone (and everything, think of all the dead animals) else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RavenTW on 2002-09-23 19:15 ]</font>

Less than 30 miles to be exact...plus I lived in my town all my life. All I can say is that the smoke really got to me...I couldnt concentrate in my classes because I got too nautious. So I tried staying indoors between classes and I started feeling better.

Robert_Garcia
Sep 23, 2002, 09:55 PM
Heres some news on the fire in case you all are interested...

Taken from the Los Angeles Times:

A second day of high temperature and low humidity hampered firefighters' efforts Monday to corral a 1,200-acre blaze in the Angeles National Forest.

About 600 firefighters worked through the night, but were unable to gain any ground on the fire, which was burning toward a handful of U.S. Forest Service employee residences, said fire dispatcher Tony Heinan.

"(The weather) is not going to help us," he said Monday morning. "The fire hasn't slowed down at all overnight."

The fire was only 5 percent contained by 6 a.m.

It erupted Sunday afternoon near two privately owned campgrounds and grew quickly, threatening homes and forcing 300 residents and 2,000 campers to flee. A plume of smoke was visible miles away.

"A bunch of us got in a circle and held hands and prayed," said Lynn Piazza, who was evacuated from one of the campgrounds, Camp Williams.

Temperatures in Southern California rose to record levels Sunday. Chatsworth in Los Angeles County saw 108 degrees, up from 105 degrees in 1989. Temperatures were around 80 overnight, but were expected to rise to the 90s or 100s again Monday in many areas.

Heres some relatively good news...

Taken from Metro Networks

The 800-plus acre Williams Canyon Fire in the Angeles National Forest is only about 5 percent contained. About 2,300 residents have been evacuated from the area, but fire officials said no homes are threatened. The fire began shortly before 5 p.m. Sunday near the East Fork of Hwy 39. Officials say they have not yet determined the cause of the blaze.

AZUSA

BlackRose
Sep 23, 2002, 10:08 PM
Forest fires are bad news... run if it gets close, ya? I used to live in eastern Washington (often plagued by forest/brush fires) and i always heard stories of people who wouldn't evacuate... they gambled that the fire would go the other way or something... and lost their bet.

Robert_Garcia
Sep 23, 2002, 10:12 PM
On 2002-09-23 20:08, BlackRose wrote:
Forest fires are bad news... run if it gets close, ya? I used to live in eastern Washington (often plagued by forest/brush fires) and i always heard stories of people who wouldn't evacuate... they gambled that the fire would go the other way or something... and lost their bet.

Well, right now, I have nothing to worry about...but once it breaches 15 miles, its time to worry.

I can see it all now...Front page of the LA Times.

"The City of Azusa evacuated...college student yells "NOT WITHOUT MY DREAMCAST!!!"

Robert_Garcia
Sep 24, 2002, 12:40 AM
Update on the fire:

since it split, one side appears to be under control, but the other is still raging on.

pixelate
Sep 24, 2002, 12:53 AM
I'm about 50 miles from there. The smoke was so thick I could actually see it through the smog layer in the valley. Daaamn!

Robert_Garcia
Sep 24, 2002, 03:57 AM
Well Im closer...meaning I get to die first! so Ha! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But seriously, It looks like its starting to die down...Earlier today, I recall seeing firemen on the mountain...from where I stood, they looked like ants...

LollipopLolita
Sep 24, 2002, 06:20 AM
we got a 400 acre one going south of where i live. and robby when a title says it burns... we think... maybe you caught something bad... >.>

Ness
Sep 24, 2002, 06:24 AM
I have no fires where I live. I guess that's one advantage to living in Texas; there is nothing here to burn but dead grass and fire ants.

RavenTW
Sep 24, 2002, 07:42 AM
Oh, Ness is a TEXAN, that explains why he's so annoying caring and compassionate.

Be careful dude. And post every 5 minutes (just to assure us your not dead, and to up your post count! Liable reason this time, the mods HAVE to let you spam, in order to know if your still alive! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

Robert_Garcia
Sep 24, 2002, 11:08 AM
Well everyone I have some rather good/bad news.

The fire that was so close to my home has been extinguished. I can see smoke on a mountain a little further away. Dont really know if that fire is out yet. So the people/animals living in that area may still be in danger. Its really hard to tell from here. I dont know whats going on over there, but it looks like I'll be fine.

Well, I guess I have one good thing to say in all of this: The smoke pretty much blocked the sun, leaving the residents to take a well-deserved break from our current heat-wave.

Thank you LACFD! You've saved us all...again. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robert_Garcia on 2002-09-24 09:12 ]</font>

Ian D
Sep 24, 2002, 03:16 PM
Hurrah, celebrate and be merry.

RavenTW
Sep 24, 2002, 07:27 PM
Good to know your still alive.

Robert_Garcia
Sep 25, 2002, 02:53 AM
Hmm...thats funny...the fire is going the other way...

Ness
Sep 25, 2002, 05:47 AM
Stories like this would be good tho tell your grandkids.

Robert_Garcia
Sep 25, 2002, 06:04 PM
Damn...what a roller-coaster week this is turing into.

Monday - A brushfire breaks out near my house

Tuesday - That fire is nearly controlled.

Wednesday - ANOTHER fire breaks out...this time its headed my way. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif