PDA

View Full Version : lol, Uwe Boll

Maridia
Feb 17, 2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62899

Man, this guy is a real piece of work, huh?

For those of you who don't know, he is the director of House of the Dead, and is really just not very good at making movies, from what I've seen.

One of my favorite things said:

"And besides, says Boll, what exactly is it that we are expecting from him? After all, he is using videogames as his source material, and they're hardly reknowned for their complex characterisations and sophisticated narratives. "

El oh el.

VioletSkye
Feb 17, 2006, 01:12 PM
Heh, Uwe Boll is indeed a piece of work. I still can't for the life of me figure out how me mananges to secure the producer or executive producer job for so many video game adaptions (many of which could have been great.) His constant ability to get work is truly an engima.

Maridia
Feb 17, 2006, 01:57 PM
He's so obsessed with sales, but I don't think he realises that sales are bad because the MOVIES ARE NOT GOOD. -_-

Polly
Feb 17, 2006, 02:14 PM
Copy-paste reply ahoy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll

Boll continues to secure investors for the rights to future videogame-to-movie adaptations, despite the controversy surrounding his products. His investors are mostly German. He carefully secures the rights for potential future adaptations, afterwards doing all of the actual production himself, and swiftly finishes the product.

Movies directed by Boll have not achieved the kind of box office returns one expects from a typical Hollywood film. The House of the Dead broke $5.73 million and Alone in the Dark made over $5.1 million. A Boll film is usually made on a relatively tight budget in places like Vancouver, Canada.

In the DVD commentary of Alone in the Dark, Boll explains how he funds his films:

"Maybe you know it but it's not so easy to finance movies in total. And the reason I am able to do these kind of movies is I have a tax shelter fund in Germany and if you invest in a movie in Germany you get basically fifty percent back from the Government."

Whereas most directors would no longer be able to acquire the funding to continue such projects after box office failures such as Alone in the Dark, Boll is able to acquire funding thanks to German tax laws that reward investments in film. The law allows investors in German-owned films to write off 100% of their investment as a tax deduction; it also allows them to invest borrowed money and write off any fees associated with the loan. The investor is then only required to pay taxes on the profits made by the movie; if the movie loses money, the investor gets a tax writeoff.

I'm sure he really tried his hardest to make the best movie possible.

Amended in December, but still in effect when he churned out his crummy House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark bullshit.

Obsessed with bad sales maybe.

Kent
Feb 17, 2006, 03:49 PM
Judging by the guy's parnisticself-righteous attitude, and apparently, how much he just sucks at making movies... It's not surprising that he can't just see why people don't like his movies.

I haven't bothered to see any of his movies. But from what I've heard and read... He's the one who isn't taking video game movies seriously. :/

Maybe he should, you know, play through the games first, before making a movie about them. Just a thought, but has anyone else here played through all of the House of the Dead games?

Maridia
Feb 17, 2006, 04:15 PM
I haven't played all of them, but I've played a couple of them. They were alright. I fail at them, though, so.. <_<

One of the most memorable parts of the House of the Dead movie, for those of you who didn't see it, was the part where there was this ZOMBIE KILLING ACTION and the screen flashed RELOAD like it does ingame. I spit my drink out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif It was just such a bad movie ;/

Atayin
Feb 17, 2006, 04:53 PM
The thing that I can't stand the most about this guy is that he makes some of the worst movies ever and doesn't stop!! You'd think that you could make a decent movie out of a really good game, right? Ugh.. Somebody please put him out of his misery. He doesn't like how "Movies based on video games aren't taken seriously"? Well, that's his own fault. *cocks shotgun* You've gone too far this time, Uwe..

EDIT: And ontop of all that, the guy makes money. I wish I could make a lot of money by being bad at my job. I'm getting worked up over this, now...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-02-17 13:56 ]</font>

RuneLateralus
Feb 18, 2006, 01:56 AM
I tell ya, he makes one decent movie and it all goes downhill from there. I hope the guy who did Better Luck Tomarrow is watching. Cause you know...Annapolis sucked and blew at the same time. I seriously didn't think it was possible. Don't follow Uwe's path.

*in case you are wondering...the good movie Uwe Boll directed was an indie film called Heart of America...it is hard to think it is the same guy, but most dvd stores do not list the director out of fear that people will classify it with his other shit

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2006-02-17 23:03 ]</font>

Kent
Feb 18, 2006, 03:03 AM
I haven't had the chance to play through the first House of the Dead, but I've played through the other three in the series.

There's seriously enough backstory to delve into, that would make a great series of movies... If they were in the hands of the right people.

Maridia
Feb 18, 2006, 10:09 PM
You can't get much stupider than the story of house of the dead the movie. Teens go to some rave that's being held on some random island for no real reason. Zombies ensue. Oh, and there's some crap about some old spanish padre thrown in there. Just.. awful. I'm glad I missed BloodRayne.

Shadowpawn
Feb 19, 2006, 11:40 AM
He's making a Postal movie? He's just asking for trouble from the press.

Dre_o
Feb 19, 2006, 12:09 PM
I thought there were only 3 House of the Deads??...oh well, from the sounds of it, I'm glad I missed all these guys movies. My Gawd, the guy makes a movie called "House of the Dead" and doesn't even add Goldman for shits and giggles? Or does he? I don't know. It simply sounds like someone needs to put him down.

WrathofGOD
Feb 19, 2006, 01:07 PM
On 2006-02-17 10:04, Maridia wrote:
"...they're hardly reknowned for their complex characterisations and sophisticated narratives. "
this is actually true.