PDA

View Full Version : Should we be able to import avatars?

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 17, 2006, 04:55 PM
i don't like many of the avatars and it would be cool if we could import avatars from our own computers. I'm not sure if this will actually convince Tom to change this but its worth a try.

EJ
Feb 17, 2006, 06:18 PM
You use to be able to but have you seen other forum where the user can import their own avatar? Most user go crazy in importing there own and make most of them very big file size just for avatars.

we need some restrictions and if you don't like any you can summit your own but they have to be pso related.

Ketchup345
Feb 17, 2006, 06:34 PM
On 2006-02-17 15:18, ForceEJ wrote:
You use to be able to but have you seen other forum where the user can import their own avatar? Most user go crazy in importing there own and make most of them very big file size just for avatars.

we need some restrictions and if you don't like any you can summit your own but they have to be pso related.
I don't rememebr ever being allowed to import an avatar.

I have seen sites where users use huge (size) avatars messing up the look of the thread. This is not pretty, even on a widescreen moniter. The file size was likely huge as well.

As the sticky above says, using PSOW's avatars is better for loading times. People do still use dial-up, and other may be on unstable connections. The faster we can get pages to load for users, the better.

If you want a new avatar, submit it in a thread (assuming it is Phantasy Star related), and hope it gets used.

Sayara
Feb 17, 2006, 06:41 PM
You're only gonna get that offer winning the contests.
Been like that before, and always will be like that.

Its been like that always, just cuz one person says so isn't gonna make Tome go OMFG CHANGE MY IDEAR!

Cold hard facts at its finest.

ajenteks
Feb 17, 2006, 06:41 PM
Hmm... I kind of want to submit a Yamato Throw! avatar, that would be sweet!

EJ
Feb 17, 2006, 06:54 PM
When I said use to I meant when this site was first made. I remember seeing users with avatar that aren't pso related.

Edit: I wasn't here obviously in the beginning but I seen old thread of avatar of many users that have unrelated avatars.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceEJ on 2006-02-17 15:55 ]</font>

Maridia
Feb 17, 2006, 07:15 PM
Well, the only two sites I generally get linked to with forums are pso-p and ign. Both sites allow importing of avatars, and they all seem to be within a certain size. I would imagine doing so isn't hard, but would mess with the way the site is "worked", so to speak. I still think it would be a lot of fun to do so, and would sign a petition for something like that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

LET THE PETITION BEGIN!!!11

also, get with ssj!1

Skorpius
Feb 17, 2006, 07:35 PM
Actually, IGN runs an icon system, where users can submit icons periodically, and certain ones are chosen for uploading (similar to PSOW, but on a much larger scale). They have rules for the icons, too, such as pixel size, content, etc.

PSOp runs off of phpBB, which can have the option of running off of preset icons, or custom uploading. The option of uploading is turned on, but there are limits set for pixel size and file size.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2006-02-17 16:36 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Feb 17, 2006, 07:42 PM
*sigh*

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=56789&forum=6&1

PSOW is not going to have custom avatars. If you had taken three seconds and looked at the stickies before posting, you would have seen a thread clearly talking about custom avatars.

Besides, PSOW has a large, diverse set of icons from PSO Ep1, Ep2, and Ep3, as well as the older Phantasy Star games. It even has a few from Sonic Adventure. Quit whining, and find an avatar that suits you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-02-17 16:42 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Feb 17, 2006, 07:43 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=56789&forum=6&1

No. Not now. Not ever. Never will happen. End of story.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 17, 2006, 07:52 PM
Well someone at least update the avatars! THey all suck......... all 800 of them... cept mine..... it sucks the least.

Ketchup345
Feb 17, 2006, 07:55 PM
On 2006-02-17 16:52, SgtShligger wrote:
Well someone at least update the avatars! THey all suck......... all 800 of them... cept mine..... it sucks the least.
Then submit some that are PS/PSO/PSU related. This site has dozens of avatars that normal users submitted.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 17, 2006, 08:15 PM
Who would i submit it to?

Ryna
Feb 17, 2006, 08:27 PM
On 2006-02-17 17:15, SgtShligger wrote:
Who would i submit it to?

If you want to submit potential avatars, create a new thread in Site Related (this forum) and link to them. If the site staff likes them, they will be added to the avatar list. We are fairly tough judges, so don't get mad if it isn't added. Please keep in mind that avatars should be 64 x 64 pixels (or less) and be in gif format.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 17, 2006, 08:29 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... i might make one... but.......... this didn't work. Oh well, i shall attempt to make na avatar.

Eihwaz
Feb 17, 2006, 08:42 PM
Ryna, are the avatars in question required to have a one pixel black border? For some reason, I was under that impression. All of the full-sized avatars (IE, not the ones with transparency, like the sprites) have 1 pixel black borders, after all.

Ryna
Feb 17, 2006, 09:05 PM
On 2006-02-17 17:42, Eihwaz wrote:
Ryna, are the avatars in question required to have a one pixel black border? For some reason, I was under that impression. All of the full-sized avatars (IE, not the ones with transparency, like the sprites) have 1 pixel black borders, after all.

All full-sized avatars should have a 1 pixel-wide black border.

Eihwaz
Feb 17, 2006, 09:38 PM
Okay, thanks for clearing that up.