PDA

View Full Version : Tales of the ignorant, stupid and just plain liars!

Kizaragu
Feb 19, 2006, 01:19 PM
I'm gradually learning to hate people. I really am. One day I'm just gonna wake up and unleash the fury upon the masses with a shotgun. Retail does that too you.

I work in a game shop and we get all sorts here. We get the really cool guys who you can really enjoy serving and discussing about games, to the parents Ignorant or otherwise, to the just plain crazy.

I don't know what it is about me but I just seem to attract the latter. Basically, this topic is dedicated to the ignorrant and stupid.
Here are a few examples:

On 2006-02-08 11:58, Kizaragu wrote:
I've had a guy raise his voice and blame me personally because the PS3 won't be out until christmas at the earliest, here in the Uk. I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the day.

One of the worst cases of ignorant parenting I've ever encountered is as follows.

*A mother walks up to the till with her son roughly under 10 years old. She's holding a copy of GTA: San andreas in her hand and is clearly buying it for her son. Before I put it throught the till I tell her the following:*
"You do understand that this game has an 18 certificate? It's extremely violent amongst other things."
"Oh that's ok. I'll just make sure he has the volume turned right down."

I've also had parents tell me that they're little kid only likes it for the driving. Hey!? You're kid likes the driving parts of the game? Here's an idea ASSHAT, buy him a RACING game. *sigh*

The following tale of retail woe happened just the other day. A typical tale of someone trying it on, trying to intimidate me and even worse, believing I'm actually that stupid.

"That'll be 24.99 please"
*The guy hands me a reciept*
Me:"Excuse me?"
Idiot:"Yeah, that's my credit note. My store credit."
Me:"No, that's your reciept you recieved with it. I can see the staple mark from where the credit note was removed"
Idiot:"I TOLD YOU, that that is my credit note. When I traded in my game, they put that in my bag and I left."
Me:"But what bag? By looking at this reciept, You only traded in that game. There would have been no bag, as you bought nothing to recieve one. A bag would of been pointless."
Idiot:"I F***ing TOLD YOU, that THAT is my credit note."
Me:"No, that's a receipt. I can't do a thing with a reciept."
*He storms off cursing and swearing some more. I thought I'd seen the last of him.*

The following day.
*The guy come back in, this time accompanied with an older lady.*
Lady"I've spoken with my solicitor (bullshit) and they've told me that this is a binding contract stating that you owe us 'said amount' in the form of a credit note."
Me"No, that's a reciept stating that you recieved a credit note with it for that amount. The staple mark on the reciept verifies that. The credit note has been removed."
*They curse some more to themselves and they clearly know they can't blag themselves a free game. And protest.*
Me"I'm powerless. It's exactly like money. If you lose it, there's nothing I can do about it. If it were cash would you do the same thing? Say the reciept said we'd given you 'said amount in cash' back, would you try and buy a game with the reciept? Sure it says you recieved 'said amount' a while back, but it doesn't mean you've still got it. You've lost it or used it.
At the end of the day, you're trying to buy a game with a receipt. End of story."

That's it in a nutshell, but they swore more.
I was that close to kicking them out or just snapping.

I hate people. Not all mind. Just generally. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Eihwaz
Feb 19, 2006, 02:20 PM
It takes a brave man indeed to work in a game store in this day and age. You have to put up with a large amount of assholery, stupidity, and small kids. Not a good combination.

I'd say you handled both of those situations pretty well. You informed the first lady how the game was very violent and stuff, and you remained calm with the idiots who tried to buy stuff with a receipt.

InfinityXXX
Feb 20, 2006, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry but your stories had me laughing.(especially the man lying about the credit) I've never worked at a game store but I can only imagine what you will encounter, it seems like a fun job with your occasional idiots.

Polly
Feb 20, 2006, 04:35 PM
My favorite part of working at a game store was the customers that seem to think that we keep a hidden warehouse of games somewhere in the store and refuse to sell them just because we wanna be assholes.

This happened with all the popular games when I worked, particularly Final Fantasy XI (which actually spawned a fistfight between customers over the last copy). Guy comes in and argues with me for 10 minutes saying he called 5 minutes ago (always the story) and that someone said we had plenty. He then proceeds ordering me to go check again and eventually gets tossed out by mall security. They seem to think games magically appear out of nowhere if you say "I called 5 minutes ago."

It's only happened once, but if you go into a domestic-only game store and ask for a game by the Japanese name, then say "Oh, wait that's the Japanese name, you wouldn't know that" then I hope you die.

Retail of ANY kind will make you hate people.

InfinityXXX
Feb 20, 2006, 04:43 PM
Aww, I always wanted to work at a game store but hearing the way you 2 sound...It looks like theres to much drama.

darthsaber9x9
Feb 20, 2006, 06:23 PM
I can't wait till I'm 18 and I can apply to work in GAME or gamestation or similar. It sounds like a barrell (sp?) of laughs esepcially since i'm interested in the material being sold.

Kizaragu
Feb 22, 2006, 05:44 AM
On 2006-02-20 13:35, Neiclaes wrote:
My favorite part of working at a game store was the customers that seem to think that we keep a hidden warehouse of games somewhere in the store and refuse to sell them just because we wanna be assholes.
Oh god, tell me about it. Xbox 360 anyone? -_-;

On 2006-02-20 13:43, InfinityXXX wrote:
Aww, I always wanted to work at a game store but hearing the way you 2 sound...It looks like theres to much drama.
It's not all bad. Of all the retail jobs I've had this is defenitely the best. The perks far outway the lows. Plus you get some interesting stories to tell.
Sure, you begin to hate people, but retail in general does that to you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 22, 2006, 07:41 AM
I guess you can tell them in those situations that if you did in fact have one copy of their coveted item left, wouldn't you yourself have purchased it?

Even if you don't know what they're talking about, pertaining to the obscure Hamtaro titles or things that may or may not even exist yet on these shores.

Make them think for a second about it and figure that hey they're right, they would have gotten the last one if there were any left, I'll go somewhere else and throw a hissy fit.

But don't tell them that you DID buy the last one(or make them think you did), then they'll fight you to the death for it like a crack addict, no?

Otis_Kat
Feb 22, 2006, 12:09 PM
I don't work in a gamestore but I've been around when some funny stuff happens.

I was at my local Gamecrazy one day and some gangsta black wearing a black durag guy walks in demanding an Xbox 360. It is October 8 mind you. The manager calmly tells him that it hasn't come out yet and also tells him its preorder only and he can't take anymore at the time. The man points to a display box for 360 and says, and I quote, "Dat fucked up man! The box right there! You fatass holding back on it for yourself! Ima get some homies and teach you, cracka." He then stormed out and about 10 minutes he did come back with homies...and guns...They locked the doors to Hollywood Video and Gamecrazy and then called the police XD.

Also one time at Walmart another "gangsta" was trying to buy San Andreas but he told the salesman he wasn't at least 17 when at the register. He tells him he can't buy the game and turns around. The guy takes the game off the counter and walks away with it. I told the salesman and the theif got arrested http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

kocoriko
Feb 22, 2006, 09:04 PM
him sorry to hear ta but it's a part of the job we have no choice take it and hit the wall herre we have a dictum 'the custumer are a stupid animal who's need something' so have a nice day and take care of you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kocoriko on 2006-02-22 18:05 ]</font>

Kizaragu
Feb 27, 2006, 05:24 PM
A new addition.

This happened today and It annoyed me immensely.

*Finish transaction, hand over reciept*
Me: "Ah we're out of of pennies. Is that ok?"
Woman: *patronising voice* "No. I want my penny thank you very much!"
*She makes the most smug face I've ever seen. I put my hand in my pocket, reach in and pull out my wallet. Fumble around with it for a bit to draw attention to it. I put a penny on the counter.*
Me: "There ya go. A penny of my own money. Next please!"

Owned.

My hatred for people is growing.
I should of thrown all the change I had at her.

Atayin
Feb 27, 2006, 07:57 PM
I could never tolerate your job, Kiz. I don't have the patience to hold back from speaking what's on my mind sometimes. Just even over the past 3 years, people seem to have gotten especially more ignorant then ever... It's probably due to a combination of things, but I really do wish that modern videogaming was among one of the few things that didn't attract the ignorant like moths to a flame.

Kudos, man. And I mean that. Stay strong!

Kizaragu
Mar 1, 2006, 03:43 PM
Cheers my man. Tis most appreciated. I'll keep up the good fight! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
As it's a more relaxed environment than a lot of retail jobs, you do have to remember to bite your tongue a lot. It's hard at times.

I so want that woman to come back in and try and return that game. I'd give her the ninety nine pence back in pennies dammit!
"One, two, three, four..."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizaragu on 2006-03-01 12:45 ]</font>

Maridia
Mar 2, 2006, 12:41 PM
You'll get crap like that in retails anywhere, Kiz, I can promise you that. The penny thing has happened to me more than once. Problem is, when working in a game store, these things are closer to our hearts and can be even more annoying than if it were somewhere else.

I always wanted to work in a game store. I'm well known at the ones close to me, and I know if they have an opening, I'll be sure to get in. I always wondered if it was a good idea, though. You tend to learn to dislike what you're working with unless your job is really awesome, which it probably isn't. And retail in general blows. I hate customers. And I already dislike the public in general. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Customer service is torture.

AC9breaker
Mar 2, 2006, 09:49 PM
*Finish transaction, hand over reciept*
Me: "Ah we're out of of pennies. Is that ok?"
Woman: *patronising voice* "No. I want my penny thank you very much!"
*She makes the most smug face I've ever seen. I put my hand in my pocket, reach in and pull out my wallet. Fumble around with it for a bit to draw attention to it. I put a penny on the counter.*
Me: "There ya go. A penny of my own money. Next please!"

lmfao

Retail and customer service always makes for memorable moments.
This one guy I know who use to work for a gamespot use to always share the funniest stories. My favorite being about a guy who stole a display box then came back to complain about it not having a game.

But seriously, the worst place to work in is fast food.

Fast food > Retail.

washuguy
Mar 2, 2006, 10:10 PM
On 2006-02-20 15:23, darthsaber9x9 wrote:
I can't wait till I'm 18 and I can apply to work in GAME or gamestation or similar. It sounds like a barrell (sp?) of laughs esepcially since i'm interested in the material being sold.

I just want to work at Pandora's cube...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 3, 2006, 03:56 AM
Even if you are interested in what you sell, there are going to be plenty of people who aren't or don't have a clue and will annoy the crap outta you about some obscure Japanese Hamtaro fishing controller game.

Just because they can.

Stealing a pre-order box then trying to return to steal the game is quite ridiculous and I think the guy up there meant:

Retail > Fast Food

I mean you can talk to people in retail without them ripping your head off, but in fast food I was the guy that would rip people's head's off for saying anything.

Fast food = stress H bomb.

Scejntjynahl
Mar 3, 2006, 05:19 AM
I used to work at a Fast Food Japanese restaurant a while back. This is what took place:

Lady: May I have a Shrimp Udon please.
Me: For here or to go?
Lady: *looks at me absent minded* "..." "Well I am here, so of course for here >.<"
Me: ... "Do you want a drink to go with that?"
Lady:"IM HAVING SOUP" "What more liquids do you want me to take???"
Me: No drink, then... will that be all?
Lady: Yes.
Me: That will be 6.99 please.
Lady: OMGD... thats expensive... would it be cheaper if I dont order the shrimp?
Me: ... Actually, it will be the same price.
Lady: FINE FINE, its highway robbery. *then hands me a ten dollar bill, I give her the change*

few mintues later...

Lady: excuse me... I want my money back now!
Me: Is something wrong?
Lady: The udon was disgusting, I couldnt finish it.

*yes... she said "finish it"*
Me: Hold on one second, I will look into it. *I go to the backroom, tell the boss, and he gives me to ok to handle it as I see fit... so I get a ruler and return to the lady*

Me: Ah, there is the bowl of your Udon right?
Lady:.... YES. It was disgusting!
Me: Don't worry mam, we will take care of it... but first...*I stick the ruler in her soup... take a measurement... note in on my pad... make mental calculations... and then head back to the cash register and get some money*
Me: Here you go * I hand her fifty cents*
Lady: OO What the fuck is this?!
Me: That is your money back for the soup you didnt eat... have a nice day and please come back again. *And I walked away*
Lady: Starts cursing me really loud...*At that moment all of the Japanese chefs stand behind me giving her dirty looks calling her "baka" "baka" and such.
"What the fuck are they saying!!!???!!"
Me: Oh, they are saying have a nice day. *grin evily*
*then she stormed out*

yeah, people are stupid, but they sure make for interesting stories.

AC9breaker
Mar 3, 2006, 09:21 AM
Actually, weather it be retail or fast food, its only as bad is you allow it to be. Its like that movie, "Clerks." It's okay to tear into the occasional customer. (b'-')b