PDA

View Full Version : ABC = Ratings Whores

geewj
Feb 21, 2006, 02:22 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=special_coverage&id=3905371

"Predators are using Nintendo DS anywhere in the world. And it's going to be really hard to track down those individuals because of course, they're on a wireless network from a hotspot such as a coffee shop. Or if they're in a wireless environment, say a coffee shop or whatever, they jump on the wireless network so now you have predators who are trying to get at our kids."

So they were saying that kids are being harrassed in pictochat by anoynomus people through WIFI.

At first seems like a 'Stupid ABC not checking thier information', but it gets better than that.

Turns they knew it thier information was wrong. They had an interview that explained all of that very well, but the truth wasn't a big enough story I guess.

http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=3047

So long story short, they were just being rating whores doing whatever they could to get a big story and all the ratings.

Good job ABC

rena-ko
Feb 21, 2006, 02:52 PM
nothing out of the ordinairy, i'd say.

Polly
Feb 21, 2006, 02:52 PM
Games make a great scapegoat for everything :D

ABDUR101
Feb 21, 2006, 02:53 PM
I figured pedophiles and stalkers were considered 'common world hazards' a long time ago. No different than STD's really.

I fail to really care for the news anymore. There's too much crap and added drama to really show a side of honest caring. Evident when the hurricane hit Louisiana and the news reporters were standing on dry land and trying to interview people that had been stranded in water and on rooftops as they were just then coming out of the water.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2006-02-21 12:15 ]</font>

geewj
Feb 21, 2006, 03:50 PM
No no, this isn't about making videogames scape goats, or about playing up a story. This isn't even about videogames really.

They were doing a news story, and after interviewing someone they found out they were completely wrong about the story.

So instead of not doing the story, or changing it a little, they just ignore the guy completly. They relase a story that they know is a complete lie. They come into the homes of millions people just finishing up dinner and lie to them. Why? For ratings I guess. It doesn't really matter why though. The point is that they did.

Sure, it wasn't some world altering lie or anything, but they didn't seem to have any problem at all lying to millions of people. How can anyone even trust thier stories anymore. Who knows if they needed to lie about that one too.

They might as well be a tabloid.

ABDUR101
Feb 21, 2006, 04:07 PM
Well sadly thats how I more or less see just about every news channel anymore. I more or less take everything with a grain of salt because you don't know who the Wizard of Oz really is, you know?

Polly
Feb 21, 2006, 04:17 PM
So it's about the news omitting details to slant a story into something completely different? Nothing new here, either.

EJ
Feb 21, 2006, 04:22 PM
And people wonder why I stop watching the news.

This is a clear case of misinformation and if the parent was more educated she would have realize that the person her daughter was talking to was no more than a few feet aways >_>