PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you help an idiot ?

Lone_Wolf_Nasca
Feb 22, 2006, 11:01 PM
Well you get hurt, of course !

A fellow farmer, which I will call Matt for this little story (and I will keep his real name for myself), asks for my advice over branding animals with a hot iron, I start by telling him what he would need but he quickly interrupted me informing me that "He already had everything, but has no idea how to procede." So I start explaining to him but he seems to still not be on the clear on what to do. So I decide it would be best if I helped him by showing him how to do it step-by-step.

After setting everything up in his stable he brings over a cow ( He owns cattle only ). I tell him the following before handing him the hot iron, "remember this thing is stupid hot, you need to keep control of it when you stick it to the cow, so if the cow shrieks and reels don't get spooked, it's going to happen with every one we brand today." So Matt nods at me in signal that he understands what to do, so I hand over the iron to him and stand back to supervise him.

I should have standed a little farther away, becuase at the moment he stuck it to the cow it started to reel with a lot of force to shake the iron off her hide and Matt got spooked and removes the iron by swinging it backwards striking me on my right arm just an inch below my elbow and burning the skin off on that area right off, hence I was the one that got branded. ( Thankfully he burned me with the bar not with the part with the desing.) I re-acted by screaming my head off and then punching him once in the face knocking two of his teeth off and storming out of his farm and leaving him on the floor.

I know I over-reacted, but damn, was I soo angry at the time, I could just not help myself to beat the crap out of him. I have not talked with him since it happened yesterday.

Meh, had to get it out of my system.

Guess I should go over there tomorrow and say something like "Sorry for knocking your teeth out Matt, it won't happen next time you brand me." or something like that... Bah.

EJ
Feb 22, 2006, 11:10 PM
Ouch, I can only imagine the pain. ;/

If that happen to me I would probably react the same but since it was an accident, guess you should apologize, since I would do that also eventually.

Well atleast it wasn't worst.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceEJ on 2006-02-22 20:54 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Feb 22, 2006, 11:52 PM
As soon as you mentioned about getting spooked, I figured he prolly jumped back and swung the hot iron back and away from himself.

Although I was expecting that you'd have gotten clocked in the head. Aye though. Can't imagine how much that hurts, burns are always really painful anyway, let alone that.

But yeah, I'd apologize for knocking his teeth out. =X

Though you did certainly warn him, so he should have prepared himself, and at the least if he was going to get skittish, he should have watched what he was doing so he didnt hurt himself or you. =

Maybe go over with a bundle of those oranges, eh?

"Sorry for knocking your teeth out, but look! ..Oranges!"

EphekZ
Feb 23, 2006, 12:05 AM
On 2006-02-22 20:52, ABDUR101 wrote:

Maybe go over with a bundle of those oranges, eh?

haha well I think mashed potatoes would be better you dont really need to chew them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 23, 2006, 02:50 AM
Sounds terrible for both of you.

I'm sure he's pretty sorry for doing it and feels terrible, not to mention coughing up some blood with his teeth.

I guess next time you could have showed him how to do it first instead of letting him do it off the bat.

He'll see how its done and can assist you while learning the correct way to do it.

Also the nerves would be okay when his turn came hopefully.

Kizaragu
Feb 23, 2006, 05:11 AM
The man gives you 'Third degree burns' and you break his face. Sounds a fair trade to me. ^_^

Even though you did warn the man and weren't entirely to blame, I'd apologise.
He probably feels pretty bad about it himself. Be the bigger man and make the first move. This sort of thing isn't worth falling out over in the long run.

Charmander02
Feb 23, 2006, 09:53 AM
On 2006-02-23 02:11, Kizaragu wrote:
The man gives you 'Third degree burns' and you break his face. Sounds a fair trade to me. ^_^

Even though you did warn the man and weren't entirely to blame, I'd apologise.
He probably feels pretty bad about it himself. Be the bigger man and make the first move. This sort of thing isn't worth falling out over in the long run.

Amen to that.

Just say sorry and you'll be laughing about it in a couple years. Telling your kids (not with each other of course) how stupid you were "back in the day".

Jehosaphaty
Feb 23, 2006, 12:12 PM
On 2006-02-23 06:53, Charmander02 wrote:
Just say sorry and you'll be laughing about it in a couple years. Telling your kids (not with each other of course) how stupid you were "back in the day".

i fail to see how nasca was stupid in this situation.

Eihwaz
Feb 23, 2006, 01:05 PM
On 2006-02-22 20:52, ABDUR101 wrote:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

That sounds like a really bad series of events, Nasca. Hope your arm gets to feeling less burnt, and hope Matt isn't too angry about his missing teeth.

Firocket1690
Feb 23, 2006, 02:24 PM
On 2006-02-22 20:01, Lone_Wolf_Nasca wrote:
asks for my advice over branding animals with a hot iron,

... Why? I'm not going to go into details, but burning live animals with hot irons for no apparant reason is ... kinda unecessary. =/

say something like "Sorry for knocking your teeth out Matt, it won't happen next time you brand me."

Do that.

ABDUR101
Feb 23, 2006, 02:50 PM
On 2006-02-23 11:24, Firocket1690 wrote:
... Why? I'm not going to go into details, but burning live animals with hot irons for no apparant reason is ... kinda unecessary. =/

You've never heard of 'branding' and why it's done? Tada (http://www.barbwiremuseum.com/cattlebrandhistory.htm)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 23, 2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah, he sorta needs to mark the cattle he owns so they won't get stolen and not be able to be identified for the police if found.

His mark on his cattle, they can be identified as his and given back to their rightful owner(s).

Nasca had some crooks on his land a few months back, so its a good idea.

If he wanted to go so far as apologize to each and every cow, hey well, he could by all means and purposes, but its a necessary thing here.

Other means would undoutedly cost more money.
Electronic tagging comes to mind as one idea perhaps.

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 23, 2006, 03:48 PM
On 2006-02-23 11:55, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

Other means would undoutedly cost more money.
Electronic tagging comes to mind as one idea perhaps.

There is such a thing as an ear tag which I don't believe is particularly expensive, but the catch about that, is that they're easily removed, and generally not a reliable means of identification, for their lack of uniqueness. Branding is really the best technique for identifying ownership of a bovine creature. Maybe some people argue that it's inhumane, but y'know, take it from someone who has personally worked with cows-- they don't actually care. These are not intelligent creatures, and this sort of experience is not retained for very long.

Firocket1690
Feb 23, 2006, 04:04 PM
... Yeah. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock_branding)

There still ... has to be a more painless method to livestock identification. I grew up in ny. So I don't really know these things.

Maridia
Feb 23, 2006, 06:15 PM
Wow, Nas, that has got to hurt. Sorry to hear about it. Yes, you overreacted, but in the heat of the moment, everyone flips out a little bit. I'm sure he feels awful for hurting you, but is mad about losing the teeth. Adult teeth no come back, right?

By the same token, you're sorry you knocked them out, but a little angry that he burned you. I think you need to go see him and hope he'll forgive you for the teeth thing. Burns heal. Teeth don't grow back. .. I think. <_<

Next time, punch him elsewhere, like, stomach or something. Less damage, same effect.

Uncle_bob
Feb 23, 2006, 09:39 PM
On 2006-02-23 15:15, Maridia wrote:
Next time, punch him elsewhere, like, stomach or something. Less damage, same effect.

If the same guy fucks up and brands him again, I think a savage beating would be in order...

Sorry to hear about that though, atleast he didn't hit ya in the face. I usually give idiots anywhere from 3 to 10 times the amount of room I would give a normal person when they're doing something potential dangerous to me. :B

Alfa1001
Feb 23, 2006, 10:13 PM
I believed he deserved his teeth getting knocked out but also I think you should apologize. When you apologize to him he'll probably apologize too. I know how you feel ive gotten burned on my arm before and it hurts like hell.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 23, 2006, 11:03 PM
Holy crap that would hurt. you should apoligize. Reminds of July 4th 05. My friends were messing with fireworks (sounds pretty bad so far) and they had smoke bombs. These were the same size as a toilet paper tube and sent smoke out for 2 minutes straight. Well these brainiacks decided to put them in the middle of the street. I noted this was a bad idea and they soon moved them to the drive way.
My friend, Kyle, was not (and is not) very bright so he decided to put his face right in the smoke bomb smoke.... about 4 inches away from the spawn of it. My more intelligent friend (though it doesn't show here) Shawn, thought it would be funny to push the smoke in his face. He shook it upwards and got soot in Kyle's eyes. Kyle was VERY pissed and ran at him throwing left and right hooks in a repeated motion. My friend Shawn is lucky he could block. i don't thikn he ever apoligized and Kyle eventually shot him with my airsoft gun i gave him for his game cube.
In other words... apoligize or he will come over use his old teeth in a slingshot to take out your eye.

Lone_Wolf_Nasca
Feb 24, 2006, 03:31 PM
On 2006-02-23 15:15, Maridia wrote:
Wow, Nas, that has got to hurt. Sorry to hear about it. Yes, you overreacted, but in the heat of the moment, everyone flips out a little bit. I'm sure he feels awful for hurting you, but is mad about losing the teeth. Adult teeth no come back, right?

Correct, adult teeth does not grow back. Matt was never much of a looker, so losing a few teeth won't really damage his looks. >.>

Either way, I went over to his place with Janet and Lily (Having the miss and the kid with me sounded like a good way to prevent any tussle between us, since I have yet to meet someone who would throw a punch while you are holding a baby) and I apologized to him AND also offered to pay for a dentist to fix him up. Turns out he already paid a visit to a dentist, his uncle is ( or was, not very clear on that) a dentist and fixed him for a very low fee (200 dollars he told me). I gave him the money and things between us should be patched now.

He also apologized and made a comment about how should I apply toothpaste to my wound so it would heal faster, but I don't think that will work or do any good. But still, any thruth to it ?

P.S. Happy ending to a rant ? Any moral lesson here ?

Atayin
Feb 24, 2006, 03:44 PM
On 2006-02-24 12:31, Lone_Wolf_Nasca wrote:

He also apologized and made a comment about how should I apply toothpaste to my wound so it would heal faster, but I don't think that will work or do any good. But still, any thruth to it ?

Unless he can show you a PHD, I wouldn't take that advice. I've never heard of that in my life.

Sounds like a happy ending. 200 bucks isn't that much of a loss, so it could have been much worse, right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The moral lesson that I got out of it- Never brand a man in the arm. Seriously. You can't blame someone for their reaction after the flesh on their arm is... well you get the picture. Patching things up was the right thing to do, as well. I think you handled things well.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 24, 2006, 11:41 PM
Granted he only wants to offer a solution to help you somewhat, regardless if you know if it works at all or not.

You offered your solution to his problem(except for the teeth being missing) and there's no one person being "more wrong" in this situation really.

KaFKa
Feb 25, 2006, 04:13 AM
Aloe Vera would be the onyl thing that would make a burn heal better. Without causing a lot of scarring, there arent many things that will make it heal faster.

InfinityXXX
Feb 25, 2006, 10:14 AM
Nasca, when I read that I started itching. I can only imagine how that must feel and I don't blame you for doing what you did cuz but an apology will show how big of a person you are even if he struck you first. (ughh I got this nasty image of a half branded arm in my head)

Charmander02
Feb 27, 2006, 04:43 PM
On 2006-02-24 12:44, Atayin wrote:

On 2006-02-24 12:31, Lone_Wolf_Nasca wrote:

Unless he can show you a PHD, I wouldn't take that advice. I've never heard of that in my life.

Sounds like a happy ending. 200 bucks isn't that much of a loss, so it could have been much worse, right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The moral lesson that I got out of it- Never brand a man in the arm. Seriously. You can't blame someone for their reaction after the flesh on their arm is... well you get the picture. Patching things up was the right thing to do, as well. I think you handled things well.

200$ is a lot, but i'd pay that much for a friendship, or to patch things up even more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Charmander02 on 2006-02-27 13:45 ]</font>