PDA

View Full Version : Video Card?

XredX
Feb 23, 2006, 05:05 AM
Well i dont know much about PC video, audio stuff
I Bought a Hp computer AMD 64x processor, and wanted to know what Video Card should i get that supports 64bit and what website?

Blitzkommando
Feb 23, 2006, 11:20 AM
Really, any DirectX 9 compliant card should have drivers for the 64-bit environments. I know that the Radeon drivers and GeForce drivers both come in 64-bit flavors. However, make sure to get the proper drivers, whether it be Windows Server 2003 64-bit edition, Windows XP Professional x64, or Vista beta 64.

You might have a problem running certain cards in a small case though. I'm not sure how large, or well ventilated that HP case you purchased is, but based on what I have seen in stores they seem to lack the necessary air flow for something that runs hot, like the GeForce 6xxx series and any overclocked cards.

I for a while was running a similar sized case (based on what HPs I have seen with Athlon 64 and X-2 processors) and my computer eventually reached the point where it would overheat and crash, simply due to my video card. Because of this I would try to find a cooler running card.

While the 7800 series is much cooler than the 6xxx series, it can still reach rather high temperatures. I'm not too familiar with the heat specifications of the X1xxx or X1900 series, but I imagine that the upper tier cards put off quite a bit of heat.

Finally, the most important thing to consider is what interface does the computer have available for graphics cards? Is it PCI-Express X16? AGP? Or does it only have PCI slots available? I highly doubt it is PCI only given the specs the machines have, but I could be wrong. I would assume PCI-Express X16 as it seems all of the machines I could find on HP's website (which funny enough isn't all of the machines I've seen in stores with Athlon 64 processors) all use the ATI X200 Express chipset.

So, basically you are left with two choices for chipsets on the cards: The Red Army of ATI or the Green Army of nVidia. How much are you willing to spend? $100? $300? $500+? That is a major factor in what direction you should go as I don't want to advise the use of a card that is out of your budget.

EDIT: I should have noted, ATI does make their own cards but also has third party manufacturers produce cards as well. Nvidia on the other hand has no first-party made cards, all nVidia cards are produced outside of nVidia. Generally, the most recommended are EVGA, BFG, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte and Albatron.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-02-23 08:23 ]</font>

XredX
Feb 23, 2006, 01:38 PM
Sry Im not good at Pc i found this this is my Pcwell what i bought. And xp64 edition i heard its just probloms its best for me to stay at reguler w.xp as they told me

do you now were i can buy the video cards? what website for i can look at prices and all. I guess im willing to go around 100-200$
is ATI a bad thing? If it is can it be replaced to some thing better or im stuck with that?

Base processor
Athlon 64 (S) 3800+ 2.4 GHz
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket 939
Chipset
ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: A8AE-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmberineM-GL6E
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 1 GB (2 x 512)
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMMs

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC-3200 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Four
Open DIMM slots Two

Hard drive
250 GB SATA
7200 rpm
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive

DVD ROM
Maximum speed: 16X
Modem
PCI K56flex data/fax modem
Video Graphics
Integrated with up to 128 MB of allocated video memory
Sound/Audio
Controller: AC97 audio
Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Expansion slots (available)
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (Two available)
PCI Express x16 One (One available)
DIMM Slots Four (Two available)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XredX on 2006-02-23 10:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XredX on 2006-02-23 10:46 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Feb 23, 2006, 04:18 PM
ATI is not a bad manufacturer at all, in fact many prefer their cards over the third-party made ATI cards.

It really depends on how you are going to use the machine. If it is for gaming, or for multimedia applications, like watching movies or listening to music.

In the $100-200 range you won't find any top end cards, but you might be able to find a fairly good mid-range card.

Because I have done multiple deals with Newegg, I'm going to use them as an example site for purchasing cards.

Like I said before, I'm going to try to not recommend the 6xxx series of nVidia cards as they tend to run a bit too hot for those small cases are used by HP. Even if the cases are slightly larger, they don't have enough fans to pull out enough hot air fast enough to prevent overheating. So, in your situation I believe ATI might actually be the ideal place to look.

It seems the X1600 XT is probably the best you can get in your price range without risking overheating and while staying within the limits of your power supply. Sapphire is generally a very good source for quality third party ATI cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102668

Powercolor also has a X1600 XT available for slightly more, but it seems to use a different heatsink and fan assembly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131319

Of course, if you were to insist on an nVidia based card, because there would be no PCI-Express power cable, and most likely running at 300-350 Watts, I woud suggest the 6600GT. It's fairly comparable to the X1600 XT, but it will run hotter. Luckily, the GT models have slightly improved over the older models. I would not suggest a passive cooling system as those tend to run hotter, even if it were to reduce noise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150099

Simply put, with the case, cooling, and power that HP uses (like most manufacturers) the X1600 XT or 6600GT are just about the best you can do with that machine. Both should give you excellent results no matter how you use the machine.

Overall, I would probably go with one of the X1600 XT cards, but the 6600GT wouldn't be a bad choice at all either.

XredX
Feb 23, 2006, 04:33 PM
Awsome thanks alot ill look thro. the link

Jared_T
Feb 23, 2006, 06:50 PM
On 2006-02-23 13:18, Norvekh wrote:
ATI is not a bad manufacturer at all, in fact many prefer their cards over the third-party made ATI cards.

It really depends on how you are going to use the machine. If it is for gaming, or for multimedia applications, like watching movies or listening to music.

In the $100-200 range you won't find any top end cards, but you might be able to find a fairly good mid-range card.

Because I have done multiple deals with Newegg, I'm going to use them as an example site for purchasing cards.

Like I said before, I'm going to try to not recommend the 6xxx series of nVidia cards as they tend to run a bit too hot for those small cases are used by HP. Even if the cases are slightly larger, they don't have enough fans to pull out enough hot air fast enough to prevent overheating. So, in your situation I believe ATI might actually be the ideal place to look.

It seems the X1600 XT is probably the best you can get in your price range without risking overheating and while staying within the limits of your power supply. Sapphire is generally a very good source for quality third party ATI cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102668

Powercolor also has a X1600 XT available for slightly more, but it seems to use a different heatsink and fan assembly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131319

Of course, if you were to insist on an nVidia based card, because there would be no PCI-Express power cable, and most likely running at 300-350 Watts, I woud suggest the 6600GT. It's fairly comparable to the X1600 XT, but it will run hotter. Luckily, the GT models have slightly improved over the older models. I would not suggest a passive cooling system as those tend to run hotter, even if it were to reduce noise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150099

Simply put, with the case, cooling, and power that HP uses (like most manufacturers) the X1600 XT or 6600GT are just about the best you can do with that machine. Both should give you excellent results no matter how you use the machine.

Overall, I would probably go with one of the X1600 XT cards, but the 6600GT wouldn't be a bad choice at all either.

I must say that was an excellent assessment of your quality video cards. I also would recommend the ATI X1600 XT/XTX but be aware as Norvekh pointed out keep your COOLING and POWER in mind. The X1600 specs require a 350w and I believe 450w if you employ the Crossfire feature.(Which is not possible on your HP) I just got the X1600 XT on Tuesday.. after my last card burnt out, and my Main board fried. And I may hopefully I'll get to use it once I finish rebuilding a 1TB RAID Array that was damaged due to controller set from old to new board... The card I got was in the $130-$180 range. And I haven't had too many problems with the Sapphire brand other than the one that melted.. and the one before that.. AGAIN COOLING!! Be sure to get a warranty. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Luis
Feb 26, 2006, 04:53 PM
Base processor
Socket 939
Chipset
ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Motherboard
Memory
Component Attributes
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMMs

Can you be able to play Quake 4 with a ATI Radeon Xpress 200?? because i cant the chipset its not supported

XredX
Feb 26, 2006, 10:44 PM
On 2006-02-26 13:53, Luis wrote:

Base processor
Socket 939
Chipset
ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Motherboard
Memory
Component Attributes

Can you be able to play Quake 4 with a ATI Radeon Xpress 200?? because i cant the chipset its not supported

Sry idk i dont have that game, i have C&C Generals and the rest of them.

DLShAdOw
Feb 27, 2006, 08:03 PM
do you rly need a graphics card for those...i think the answer is no

BogusKun
Feb 27, 2006, 08:11 PM
512s are easier to get now. They're on retail.

Plus the overheating has been somewhat fixed