PDA

View Full Version : Should super bowl sunday be a national holiday?

washuguy
Feb 23, 2006, 05:26 PM
Think about it,getting pff of of school to watch football.AWESOME!!!

OdinTyler
Feb 23, 2006, 05:33 PM
Uh...maybe you havent noticed that Super Bowl Sunday is on...Sunday? I think ppl are off of school anyway.

roygbiv
I don't know... I don't really get the football thing all that much... and then we might start seeing other countries get time off for the world cup... and now that would just be lame.

roygbiv
On 2006-02-23 14:33, OdinTyler wrote:
Uh...maybe you havent noticed that Super Bowl Sunday is on...Sunday? I think ppl are off of school anyway.

Oh duh... that is probably a more valid point.

;o;

washuguy
Feb 23, 2006, 05:36 PM
On 2006-02-23 14:33, OdinTyler wrote:

They put it there so EVERYONE including school kids could see it,but if there was no school on a weekday,they wouldn't worry about that.

Sayara
Feb 23, 2006, 05:39 PM
No.

washuguy
Feb 23, 2006, 05:42 PM
On 2006-02-23 14:39, Tingle wrote:
No.

WHAT YOU MEAN:NO....

Bear
Feb 23, 2006, 06:15 PM
luckily, bears aren't requird to work or attend classes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

EphekZ
Feb 23, 2006, 06:26 PM
On 2006-02-23 14:42, washuguy wrote:

No.

Foot ball isnt life making a national holiday (on a sunday?) just to get out of school(again sunday) would be stupid. Football hasnt changed the world it just gives people a reason to get together and party.

Scrub
Feb 23, 2006, 06:27 PM

No.

Well, I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean yes!

Sef
Feb 23, 2006, 07:17 PM
On 2006-02-23 15:27, Scrub wrote:

No.

Well, I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean yes!

I think... I think he's trying to say no!

But seriously... Why a holiday? It'd probably be pretty useless, and I'm sure nobody does anything anyways.

Firocket1690
Feb 23, 2006, 08:33 PM
Go tingle.

Sweaty men running around playing catch isn't worth a day off. If anything, those fat bastards are getting paid millions to do so.

Actually. Stupid topics don't need reason.

No.

Atayin
Feb 23, 2006, 09:04 PM
Some people have to go to sunday school, which I've heard sucks. And some people are crazy about football. Looking down on people with different interests just because you personally don't enjoy them is a little bit weak. Football isn't the worst thing in the world..

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are ignorant enough to tell me that buying PSO or posting on this forum is pointless. I'm sure that a national holiday for Superbowl Sunday would be a lot of fun for some people. It wouldn't bother me.

DizzyDi
Feb 23, 2006, 09:13 PM
The Superbowl is on a sunday, the NFL isn't gunna move it to monday just so people can get out of school. National Holidays are days that are reserved usually for IMPORTANT memorials and whatnot. Martin Luther King Jr. day, President's Day (even though we all may not like the President, he's still the President nonetheless and he does deserve SOME resepct and credit. Not only that but the presidents before him as well.) Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, so on and so forth. I don't see a Superbowl Day anytime in the near future.

space_butler
Feb 24, 2006, 05:44 AM
rugby for pussies should never give anyone a day off. no sport should, ever.

Ladriachan
Feb 24, 2006, 05:46 AM
I've FINALLY FOUND YOU!! SPAAAAACCEEEEEE BUTTLEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

OdinTyler
Feb 24, 2006, 10:23 AM
On 2006-02-23 18:13, DizzyDi wrote:
The Superbowl is on a sunday, the NFL isn't gunna move it to monday just so people can get out of school. National Holidays are days that are reserved usually for IMPORTANT memorials and whatnot. Martin Luther King Jr. day, President's Day (even though we all may not like the President, he's still the President nonetheless and he does deserve SOME resepct and credit. Not only that but the presidents before him as well.) Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, so on and so forth. I don't see a Superbowl Day anytime in the near future.

I agree with you for the most part, except for President's Day. Somewhere, someone got the bad idea to combine Washington's & Lincoln's Days into 1. It doesnt celebrate the current president (nor should it as he causes ENOUGH problems). I was just discussing this with someone how those 2 former presidents had their own days consolidated into 1 & then they dont get a decent celebration of their life's work. All you get is some crap sale at your local retailer.
The Super Bowl gets way more attention than those 2 did & they did more for the country than the Super Bowl ever did. Im not completely against football, it should just be taken into proper consideration. Its the biggest day for its sport, its on Sunday, it wont have a special holiday for kids to get out of school. Its not gonna happen. Dont bother wishing for it. Just accept it. Period.

Kent
Feb 24, 2006, 02:23 PM
No, it shouldn't be a holiday.

Nobody should even be paid to play a sport, even. :/

Atayin
Feb 24, 2006, 02:43 PM
On 2006-02-24 11:23, Kent wrote:

I dunno about that, but they definately shouldn't get paid nearly as much as they do. Why are athletes some of the richest people alive? I mean, there are worse things you could do to earn money other then provide people with an entertaining spectacle of skill, blood, sweat, tears, hard work and teamwork but... do they really deserve millions upon millions? Ugh.

OdinTyler
Feb 24, 2006, 03:12 PM
Agreed. Sports ppl should be well paid as it is hard work, but, not millions. There are far greater professions out there that pay alot less: teachers, medical care, etc. & they should have the ability to dip more into that pot than an athlete.

Atayin
Feb 24, 2006, 03:19 PM
On 2006-02-24 12:12, OdinTyler wrote:
Agreed. Sports ppl should be well paid as it is hard work, but, not millions. There are far greater professions out there that pay alot less: teachers, medical care, etc. & they should have the ability to dip more into that pot than an athlete.

They certainly deserve it, but the sad truth is that if the payrolls for those jobs were way way higher.. then people would get into the professions for the wrong reasons. Good teachers would be harder to find, and bad teachers would be getting paid much more. It's sad how money works sometimes, huh? I think that's why I respect people who have to work extremely hard for every dime they get and do a good job.

I think that if Superbowl Sunday were a national holiday, then athletes would get even more credit then they already do. I guess, now that I think of it this way, we really don't need that.

washuguy
Feb 24, 2006, 07:37 PM
On 2006-02-23 17:33, Firocket1690 wrote:
Go tingle.

Sweaty men running around playing catch isn't worth a day off. If anything, those fat bastards are getting paid millions to do so.

Actually. Stupid topics don't need reason.

No.

LOOK! First,the EAGLES arn't just sweaty men! They changed the history of football,most of them any way...And the game is about strategy,skill and bieng able to keep up.

washuguy
Feb 24, 2006, 07:40 PM

At least they get paid for REAL skill unlike the WWE...

ABDUR101
Feb 24, 2006, 07:42 PM
On 2006-02-24 16:37, washuguy wrote:
And the game is about strategy,skill and bieng able to keep up.

Thats anything and everything. Any sport, any job, and every day of life, for everyone on the planet.

And yes, sports players are extremely over-paid. But, I don't cut the checks, so who cares?

KaFKa
Feb 24, 2006, 07:44 PM

True, but would you agree with me if I said they should be paid as entertainers?

Noone complains about how much actors get paid. (most of the time, anyway)

washuguy
Feb 24, 2006, 07:45 PM
On 2006-02-24 16:42, ABDUR101 wrote:

On 2006-02-24 16:37, washuguy wrote:
And the game is about strategy,skill and bieng able to keep up.

Thats anything and everything. Any sport, any job, and every day of life, for everyone on the planet.

And yes, sports players are extremely over-paid. But, I don't cut the checks, so who cares?

It's better than bieng a janitor...

ABDUR101
Feb 24, 2006, 07:59 PM
On 2006-02-24 16:45, washuguy wrote:

Sanitation is a necessity in society, entertainers are not.

washuguy
Feb 24, 2006, 08:07 PM
On 2006-02-24 16:59, ABDUR101 wrote:

On 2006-02-24 16:45, washuguy wrote:

Sanitation is a necessity in society, entertainers are not.

But it's not a high paying job right?RIGHT!!

ABDUR101
Feb 24, 2006, 08:25 PM
On 2006-02-24 17:07, washuguy wrote:

Does that dichotomy elude you or something? We pay our entertainers more than the people that save lives, clean our businesses and keep life in general running smoothly.

You see nothing wrong with that?

astuarlen
Feb 24, 2006, 09:13 PM
While I'll argue that entertainment of some sort and on some level is equally as important as education, sanitation, food production, etc, I will agree that professional athletes (and actors) are incredibly overpaid. Also, when I say that entertainment is as vital as these other aspects of life, I am definitely not saying that the entertainer as a professional is as important as the professional educator, health worker, etc. Yeah, that's as far as I'm gonna go with this. :>

KaFKa
Feb 24, 2006, 09:17 PM
Thing is, we WILLINGLY give the entertainers our money. That is why they're paid so much. If you had an honest to god problem with entertainers being paid more than a teacher, you would give your money to schools, instead of going to the movies or buying a DVD or tuning in to watch the Super Bowl.

Vote with your wallets, not with your words.

washuguy
Feb 24, 2006, 09:22 PM
On 2006-02-24 17:25, ABDUR101 wrote:

On 2006-02-24 17:07, washuguy wrote:

Does that dichotomy elude you or something? We pay our entertainers more than the people that save lives, clean our businesses and keep life in general running smoothly.

You see nothing wrong with that?

I don't call the shots,so it's not my fault...But if I did,more money would go that way.

astuarlen
Feb 24, 2006, 09:37 PM
On 2006-02-24 18:17, KaFKa wrote:
Thing is, we WILLINGLY give the entertainers our money. That is why they're paid so much. If you had an honest to god problem with entertainers being paid more than a teacher, you would give your money to schools, instead of going to the movies or buying a DVD or tuning in to watch the Super Bowl.

Vote with your wallets, not with your words.

I agree... to an extent. And I don't buy DVDs or go to movies or watch the Super Bowl, and I do give my money to schools (not that I have a choice if I desire an education). But clearly there are plenty of people who, by this measure at least, value their entertainers more than educators. Anyway, complex issue with no solution from this corner.

Atayin
Feb 24, 2006, 10:29 PM
You know what? Entertainers ARE a necessity in our society, just as is sanitation, teaching, saving lives, etc..

When a Paramedic comes home after a long day of seeing several people die in his care.. do you think he wants to sit down and stare at the wall? No. Adam Sandler may be "overpaid", but atleast the average Joe who needs to forget about the angst of his every day life can come home and find a release. Entertainers get our money for a reason.. we don't just want to be entertained, we need to be entertained. Fiction, drama and theater along with music, art and you name it... these are things that help make life bearable for all of us. Sometimes it is even thanks to the entertainers that people even have the strength left to get up the next day and do everything all over again.

What is a shame, though, is when it becomes more about money then it is about art or what's really important. It's easy to complain about the way that things are, and I'm not saying that everything is alright... but I really do think that they could be a lot worse then the way they are.

EphekZ
Feb 24, 2006, 10:35 PM
On 2006-02-24 19:29, Atayin wrote:
stuff

While that is true. they get over paid. I'd rather anyday give money to a teacher hell teachers should be the people everyone is dieing to meet not some guy who can read a couple lines and make someone laugh.

GrumblyStuff
Feb 24, 2006, 10:35 PM
On 2006-02-24 19:29, Atayin wrote:
do you think he wants to sit down and stare at the wall?
Heaven forbid people be creative themselves. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

ABDUR101
Feb 24, 2006, 10:55 PM
Good points being made, but realise that I really don't care one way or another. Things are the way they are, thats life. Spilt milk. I'm merely pointing out how someone can put a football player on a higher tier in society than the people who keep society itself running.

Really, I have no heroes in society, everyone has a purpose and is equal in the sense of what they do serves a purpose(except politicians, who for the most part can burn in hell ad infinity*).

* -Dash of humor, take with grain of salt.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2006-02-24 19:56 ]</font>

BogusKun
Feb 27, 2006, 08:20 PM
I speak on behalf of 4 of my friends who read this but don't have PSOW accounts yet.

-Fck Football