PDA

View Full Version : Do androids feel pain?

Davion
Sep 26, 2002, 09:00 AM
I put this here because I need to know this for my fanfic. WHat do you guys think?

KodiaX987
Sep 26, 2002, 09:25 AM
That would depend. Standard class androids have the minimal stuff. Methinks tactile sensors would be quite expensive so only high-end androids would feel pain.

Another note is that the tactile reactions could be programmed. You could make it so an android constantly felt a certain amount of pain, or have it feel no pain at all, yet retain all other tactile sensations.

Davion
Sep 26, 2002, 11:47 AM
Wow, it seems you know what you're talking about. That does make sense. The reason I'm asking is, Davion has to cut off his left arm in my fanfic. If you look at my personal photo, you'll see his temporary arm. He has it replaced with the arm of a HUcast, and I wanted to know if he could feel pain in that arm. I might be able to work out that he can even if androids can't.

KodiaX987
Sep 26, 2002, 12:58 PM
Then in this case, several things can happen. If Davion installs a standard arm, there's no tactile sensors at all. The tactile system is a pack, so it's feeling, temperature and pain in one package (business-wise that is)

But, you could let him have access to the arm controls in order to switch things on and off. If he is going to rip the arm off, thus, he has the option to turn off the pain sensors. Pain receptors are used by humans to detect a wound. Same would go for androids, this way they know something is wrong with their body somewhere. The advantage that Davion will have though is that since he will "wound" himself and knows it, why the need of pain receptors to point out the obvious, huh? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Davion
Sep 26, 2002, 06:38 PM
Good points. Do you think that it would be possible to link the pain system in is HUcast arm to his neural network? I'd want Davion to feel pain like a normal arm. He would want it to be that way http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. Davion is very much a noble knight like character. Pain to him is as much a part of battle as the weapons he uses.

BWS-1
Sep 26, 2002, 08:56 PM
O boy! Someone hold me away from the keyboard or else I'll never stop writting! I'll just stick with some quotes from TFFOMP ^-^:

Here's how I made my character react to heat:

"Suddenly, after a bit of walking in this dense forest, I detected some sort of heat. Just like if I was closing into... A desert! What on Ragol is that desert? ... Something was fishy about all this. When I was looking at my status screen on my right arm, it was telling me I was still in Sleep mode. Must have been the heat, it disturbed the main board of my logs."

Here's BWS-1 getting beaten down x_X:

"He shot the entire clip in my chest. I 've been pushed 2 feet away from the RAcaseal by the force of the impacts.

-B O d Y inte GR it YY : 3 2 %%-

-Pr i Ma ry CoR e FLuid lvl: 27% and dro Pin g-

-Photo n IC Lv l criti CAL-

-Dia g NOs tic '. ..' .. . ArMo r pierc E d aT 2 2 sEC Tor s... -

-Sys .ste ,,m Cra sh immine nt .- "

Get the idea? I think androids feel pain, the same as humans, only, they don't have as much sensors, and don't understand it the same way. Humans understands pain as a major disturbance in their body causing enough unpleasent sensations to make the humans hate and even fear pain, therefor, preventing pain to affect there body.

Androids, on the otherhand, feel pain as an information, let say they feel it the same way you "feel" damage in a Mechwarrior game: you don't actually feel it, but you see the damage on a HUD and know where it comes from. That's the artificial way of telling you what is damaged.

The natural way is to put neral connectons to a part of the bady, and connect it to the brain so that when exited, the neral connections will send an electric pulse to the brain to tell him "hey, it's bugging me, I'm poking on you so that you make that exitation stop and to do so I'll annoye you to death with a sensation you hate, that way you won't put you're hand in the fire again".

Sure there is a "sensor2core" connection similar to the humans in androids, but they don't get to feel the information, well, not from our point of view, but for them, if they put there hands in cold water, they'll get a log that the liquid they put there hand in is cold, so for them, they pretty much feel the water.

But I'm sure minor modifications can be done for implants to humans, since they can have an HUD in there eyes unless they'd get an android eye conected to the brain AND the arm, so that it can send the status of the arm to the owner by created constantly updated logs on the demand of the owner himself.

Think about it, we couldn't feel without our 5 different types of neral connections, well it's the same for androids, without there programs analizing the information affecting there bodies, they couldn't be informed of what affects them. But they really feel, that's something I know I could proove one day, by creating an android and putting my soul in it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ack, I just HAD to put more then the quotes http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif hehe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BWS-1 on 2002-09-27 03:17 ]</font>

IceBlink
Sep 27, 2002, 06:59 AM
Hmm... I would gather 'yes'. They flinch when they get hit, so... o_O

Blame it on developed sensor-grid on the body or something. o_O

SS_Death
Sep 27, 2002, 09:03 AM
Ok, in the case of a human getting the arm of a HUcast I would expect that the connections that were used as BWS-1 said for registering information to sensors could be adapted to work like those of normal nerves, there may well be a reduced level of feeling and it is likely it may not be quite as responsive (even better if it sometimes seems to act as if it still retains its own will...).

I would say that android would operate faster but when you consider a neural network they will have the same issues like a human, as we have seen when they mimic the traits of humans they to will only be using some of their mind as the functions such as walking are handled as a human would.