PDA

View Full Version : yes

Horo
Feb 26, 2006, 03:04 PM
i just got DSL im soo happy

Atayin
Feb 26, 2006, 03:15 PM
Wow congratulations. Did you have a dial-up before? I was extatic when I finally got DSL after having dial-up for so long.

Polly
Feb 26, 2006, 03:31 PM
Time for the celebratory "Download every damn thing in the known universe just because I can" party. I think everyone did that when they first landed a fast connection. Hell, I downloaded stuff I didn't even really want. The filesize was just big and I wanted to see my connection eat through it in 5 minutes.

VioletSkye
Feb 26, 2006, 03:34 PM
Congrats!! Make sure you have a firewall.
ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zass) is an excellent free software Firewall.

BogusKun
Feb 27, 2006, 08:22 PM
Cable is better.

washuguy
Feb 28, 2006, 09:20 AM
No,video games are,and leave it at that...

VioletSkye
Feb 28, 2006, 12:01 PM
On 2006-02-27 17:22, BogusKun wrote:
Cable is better.

Cable isn't better or worse. It just depends on your ISP and the tier of service they offer. In some cases DSL offers faster service and in some cases cable offers faster service. My current cable provider gives me 8 mbps download and 512 kbps upload which is great, but in many areas that is capped at around 1.5-3.0 mbps whereas some DSL providers (including Qwest) are offering speeds up to 8 mbps download and 712 kbps upload in select areas (depends on how far you are from the box.) I will say this about cable though, it is usually much easier and faster to get up and running. DSL providers are notorious for not provisioning lines correctly and even with the filters a lot of times there is still interference on the phone line which causes the DSL connection to lose sync and makes for static on the telephone. One plus for DSL though is that often times (although not always) the ping times are lower than cable (a lot of that just depends on how they are routing the traffic though.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-02-28 09:03 ]</font>