PDA

View Full Version : gradius V

cutegrl88
Feb 28, 2006, 11:26 PM
Looks like such a fun game, and i was a fan of gradius III for the snes. Does anyone here have it? I'd like to hear your thoughts on V http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

WashuSaotome
Mar 1, 2006, 12:32 AM
I own that game.

I must say, it's VERY fun and it's a wonderful thing...

However, I wish it could have offered some Gradius Gaiden action. (PSX goodness... Lord British, anyone?)

I like how it adds credits for every hour or so that you play. (I don't know why... It's just cool.)

The only problem is the graphics. They're great, but sometimes it's really hard to see projectiles.

EDIT: Oh. And two player co-op is always good... but then again, you can really get confused by the amount of bullets on the screen. Anyway... I suggest you buy it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WashuSaotome on 2006-02-28 21:34 ]</font>

Polly
Mar 1, 2006, 02:50 AM
I was ecstatic when this game was slated to come out. For months and months I drooled over the video and screenshots (much like I did before Contra: Shattered Soldier was released as well).

Graphically, it's quite breath taking. It rivals even Ikaruga, if not completely surpasses it. The soundtrack was decent, but I'd have liked more remixed tunes from previous games, honestly. The original stuff is good, but way too forgettable and generic for my liking.

I actually liked that it was simply and old-school shooter and didn't implement some kind of crazy scoring system or manic bullet sprays of the more recent entries into the genre. I like those systems and all, but with Gradius V it's a bit easier to just relax and enjoy the game (at the lower loops anyway). I really like what they did with Option control and there's a little something there for everyone to play around with. Stages 5 and 6 alone are worth the price of admission, just to see the crazy stuff they did with some simple physics.

It's not a game without faults though. For one...MOAI HEADS! WHERE ARE THE DAMN MOAI HEADS? HOW COULD THEY MAKE A GRADIUS GAME AND FORGET THE DAMN MOAI HEADS? And what really pissed me off was the complete lack of a real final boss and the end of the game being a simple repeat of stage 2 with you taking an alternate route. Elephant Gear sucked as a final boss if that was supposed to be it.

So yeah, there's a lot to like about it if you really enjoy challenging old school shooters. Shmup snobs tend to hate it, because it lacks some kind of crazy scoring system, but eh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neiclaes on 2006-02-28 23:53 ]</font>

Link00seven
Mar 3, 2006, 10:43 PM
Gradius III owns me. It's just a great game and I tend to play it often.

I never played the more recent Gradius games, but Gradis 1-3 are amazingly fun classic side scrollers.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right A+B start for life!