PDA

View Full Version : Seeing a Psychologist...

Jive18
Mar 3, 2006, 01:29 PM
So, lately my parents have been acting really curious about my mental health (yes, it sounds humorous). They both have been worried and think I might have depression, since it runs throughout both sides of my family. My dad set up an appointment with a psychologist for Tuesday next week. Frankly, I think it's bullshit that I have to go but my parents keep nagging about it. They claim that I only have to go once and then I'm done, but I can already see this as a monthly thing.

I was wondering if anyone can think of something to say to my parents to convince them that I really don't need this, or if anyone can tell me what it's like to meet with a psychologist. Is it not that bad or should I dread the very idea of a meeting more than I already do? Any advice/help is appreciated. Later.

ai_no_usagi
Mar 3, 2006, 01:48 PM
it's really not that bad.

edit: when I had to go to one, all they asked was how my home life was, how school was, how...everything was. try just telling them that you're perfectly fine and happy *but don't say "I'm not depressed" because that will sound like you're saying it to get out of going* but it's not so bad.

and remember: there's a difference between typical depression *wah wah, I'm sad* and clinical depression, which is a chemical imbalance *which is what Zoloft and Prozac is for* so if they give you any drugs for it, I'd recommend not taking it unless you are *really* depressed, because there could be some very serious problems afterwards.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ai_no_usagi on 2006-03-03 10:55 ]</font>

Jive18
Mar 3, 2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the advice usagi, I'm definently hoping it won't be as big of a pain in the ass as I'm thinking it will be.

Atayin
Mar 3, 2006, 03:05 PM
Seeing a shrink may seem a little bit embarrasing, but there's no shame in doing it. If it gives your parents some peace of mind, then, I say, just go along with it until they feel better about how you're doing. Sometimes we end up doing things for other people that we don't really want to... so, you might as well just make the best of it, right? Maybe the psychologist will tell your folks all kinds of nice things about you and they'll chill out.

Charmander02
Mar 3, 2006, 04:25 PM
You never know this guy you're going to go to could actually help, i mean they get paid for it.

ABDUR101
Mar 3, 2006, 05:15 PM
I'd goto a psychologist if I did'nt have to pay for it. But then I wonder if I'd really be open with alot of how I feel about life and so on in general.

It's one thing to talk to a friend about it, entirely another to talk to someone who's getting paid to talk to you. Definitely a trust thing.

FOAtHeart
Mar 3, 2006, 05:28 PM
I asked my parents if I could see a psychologist. I went to a few appointments but there just wasn't enough money. Anyway, I didn't feel like I needed to go, but I learned a lot about myself and other people and I think you would, too. ;o

Going to a psychologist is never a bad thing ;D
(unless you're worried about the stigma; in that case just don't be so shallow >_>)

Dreadlock
Mar 3, 2006, 06:18 PM
Ah, depression. Once, I pretended to be suffering just so I could get a few sit-downs with an incredibly attractive young psychologist. Let me tell you, we explored every corner of each other's minds.

But back to the subject. A lot of kids these days have problems. So parents are prone to worry, especially if it runs in the family. Go do something hyper, happy, and explosive to show your parents that you're alright.

Daikarin
Mar 4, 2006, 12:13 PM
Do you really want to avoid it? Or you just don't feel confortable talking to a stranger? You could always try a friend, or someone close.

zwandude15
Mar 4, 2006, 01:00 PM
a tad offtopic,

but can I be informed on how much one trip to a psychologist costs?

Assuming it's a -said amount of time- for a -said amount of money-

washuguy
Mar 4, 2006, 03:04 PM
You know what, GO. Then whenever they ask a question, say something off-topic. Like if they say "how's life at home?" Say something like,buffalo chicken. Or just reply CLASSIFIED.

Orange_Coconut
Mar 4, 2006, 03:56 PM
On 2006-03-04 12:04, washuguy wrote:
You know what, GO. Then whenever they ask a question, say something off-topic. Like if they say "how's life at home?" Say something like,buffalo chicken. Or just reply CLASSIFIED.

That wouldn't be good, the psychologist would think there may be problems if he doesn't want to speak about them. Or tell him that in order for the appointment to be at least semi-effective that he needs to express what it is he feels from the questions asked.

It can't hurt to see him once, if your parents are making you go then there's probably not much you can do to change their minds. They just want to make sure that you are/will be healthy mentally. I'm not saying that you aren't, but if there is a chance that you may have depression of any kind due to past family, it is worthwhile to look into just in case. It's for helping, not hurting.

However, I doubt the psychologist will only want just one visit from you. It could be, but if he sees anything that may hint toward depression he is going to try to get you to describe why you feel so-and-so a way because of X or why you feel like this/that when thinking about Y. He may ask to see you again, so just be aware of that.

Seeing a psychologist in NO WAY makes you weird or crazy compared to other people, they can actually be really helpful if you have a lot of stress or things that you want to get out in the open. Sometimes they're good at helping you explain things to people who don't understand you, or don't take you seriously.

I would say give it a shot, if you feel like you're getting tied into it though then bail out (if it truly makes you miserable each time you see him/her). But they really can help, even if you seemingly have no problems. Sometimes they can uproot things that have been buried in the depths of your mind for months or years. Even talking about the little things can have big significance, so it can't hurt to check things out.

LSF
Mar 4, 2006, 09:42 PM
I've had manic depression since I was 17, which I really wouldn't have noticed if not for the shrink. What i'm trying to say is that you might be depressed but you just haven't realised.
You're better just to get it over with and hope for the best. Whatever you do DO NOT worry your ass-off about it, it's really not that big a deal these days.
Think of it as a routine check-up with the dentist or something. Wait scratch that, dentist's are depressing. Try doctor or something...

ZaiV2
Mar 5, 2006, 12:58 PM
It's also important to be diagnosed correctly. I have bipolar disorder, but I was wrongly diagnosed with ADHD (a common mistake in Ritalin country). Make sure you are absolutely honest with all of the questions he/she asks you, and you'll probably not have to go any more than one or two times. Mess around, and the therapist might think you have deeper problems that you don't want to reveal. Also, you might be going to one of the quacks that refer you to someone who can prescribe medication (since psychologists don't do that, psychiatrists do) on the first session. If he/she does this, protest it immediately and/or refuse to take the medication.

Jive18
Mar 5, 2006, 01:23 PM
Wow, I'm rather surprised with all the replies. Thanks everybody.

Well, I think I'll just go, though right now I say that grudgingly. Abdur's response was right along with my thinking. I don't really feel like I can be open with someone I don't know at all. I know that seeing a psychologist may be good for me, but can't it only be good if I'm open with my feelings so the shrick can help me?

Sigh... I guess I'll find out on Tuesday :/.

LSF
Mar 5, 2006, 01:35 PM
There's one more thing to remember, NEVER deny that there may be something wrong with you. That's the one thing that psychologists will pick up on immediately, as it's believed that every mentally ill person cannot admit/recognise their illness.

Orange_Coconut
Mar 5, 2006, 06:47 PM
I don't know how your appointment is going to go, but for me the psychologist just wanted to get to know me the first time I saw him. I had huge anxiety problems, that was the reason I started with him, but then after getting to know him, after helping me with my anxiety as well as other things, I still see him usually on a weekly basis.

It's nothing to be ashamed of, you may feel like you can't tell him anything. Just remember that he's there to help, he's not getting paid to waste your time. So it's more for you than it is for him, he could make several appointments in the day. But if you don't cooperate, then you will have wasted time and money, so at least try to get to know the guy even if no problems are discussed during the first visit.