PDA

View Full Version : Help. (update 3.9.06)

Jehosaphaty
Mar 7, 2006, 05:32 PM
So this is a picture of a trumpeter swan for some scholarship I'm trying to apply for, but I've hit a bit of a stumbling block and I'm in need of some help/suggestions. My anatomy is decent, but the left (right in the picture) wing is really throwing me off. I only have 9x12 to work with and I wanted to get the right wing in the picture. The problem is that I feel it doesn't look right if I draw it with the thin black line. The other line is how it should look, I think, but it goes of the picture. (mind you that it was quickly drawn in with paint and isn't what it will look like in the end) So. I guess my question is, what do you guys think? Wing folded in, or off the page?

edit: Little bit more info. The right wing (left on the page) is folded over. The swan will be sitting in water, almost as if it just landed.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/jehosaphaty/swan2.jpg

I also didnt realize it'd be so faint, but oh well. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2006-03-07 14:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2006-03-09 19:02 ]</font>

ladyjaderiver
Mar 7, 2006, 05:52 PM
I like the idea of having both wings bent in (since it looks like that's what the right wing [on the left side of the picture] is doing anyway). It works with the composition, and it's a beautiful, striking pose for a swan. It has a great sense of movement that way.

ZaiV2
Mar 7, 2006, 09:54 PM
Having both bent in lends to a more symmetrical, not to mention natural pose, in my opinion.

Ancient
Mar 7, 2006, 11:54 PM
Just remember that its considered bad composition (technically) to have things that just barely touch the edge of the frame. It causes tension or something, I dunno its just what I've been told. So if the wings look like they are going to breach the border of the frame, its better to let them, than to try and squeaze them into the frame.

Edit: I went and drew out some wings real quick in photoshop. These are half bent, and prolly a slightly diffent shape than a real swans (since I had no ref), but I wanted to give you an idea of the the wings composition. You could punch them even larger and more dynamic than that, which would push them off the page a bit more and releave some of the tension. Composition is a sticky wickett.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/MSD3000/swan2.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ancient on 2006-03-07 21:12 ]</font>

Jehosaphaty
Mar 8, 2006, 06:18 PM
On 2006-03-07 20:54, Ancient wrote:
Just remember that its considered bad composition (technically) to have things that just barely touch the edge of the frame. It causes tension or something, I dunno its just what I've been told. So if the wings look like they are going to breach the border of the frame, its better to let them, than to try and squeaze them into the frame.

This is very good advice, and something that I should have remembered in the first place. The picture will look squished if the wings seem to just touch the edges. Thanks Ancient for the quick pic of the wings in photoshop, that was fun to see how you would have drawn them.

Anywho, I'm about a third of the way done now. The structure and such is done, but I put the swan on a cream cardstockish paper (not sure, but I almost wish I would've gone with a dark colored paper, but whatev). I'm hoping to prismacolor it in the next few days when I get the time. Thanks again, yall were a big help.

edit: Ancient's sig is snowing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2006-03-08 15:20 ]</font>

Ancient
Mar 8, 2006, 07:09 PM
You noticed! I love you! I put sooo much work into getting the dang thing animated with the dust, and the effect is so subtle that almost nobody can see it ;____; That makes me feel tons better ^___^

I look forward to seeing you finished swan picture as well!

Jehosaphaty
Mar 9, 2006, 10:01 PM
Update: So this is nowhere done. However, I felt like doing a bit of a progress report to keep myself going. Clouds still have to be added, colors blended, and the swan itself needs color and detail. Blah. I really hate coloring things. I like black and white and small and simple. Oh well. Anyways, this is it so far, I should have it considerably done further tomorrow.

Ancient: haha that dust is sweet. Really adds to the sig.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/jehosaphaty/37e3c865.jpg

[edit] Looking at this now I see that both wings are much too static and need to curved inward to give the impression of motion. Essh, that is really noticable now. That reaally needs fixed, too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2006-03-09 19:04 ]</font>