PDA

View Full Version : The Phantasy Star Discussion Thread

Ryna
Mar 10, 2006, 03:57 PM
This thread is to be used for discussing the classic Phantasy Star series including the text games, remakes and compilations. If you have a question or comment to make about the PS series, it should be posted in this thread. Depending on the response this thread gets, PSO-World may decide to expand the concept or close the thread.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 10, 2006, 04:39 PM
Well, to get the ball rolling...

The Old Man: Myau, or just an Elder Muskcat?

Alternately...

Anyone manage to get all characters in Phantasy Star II to level 50?

Dhylec
Mar 10, 2006, 05:09 PM
There is also a thread in FW for PSO-related information, in case some do not notice. ;]

washuguy wrote:
Any word on PSU release date? I reserved mine and the guy told me May 1st. But i want to see if anyone heard diffrent.

washu, I think you misunderstood the thread. It's about PS games, on older Sega systems, not PSU. ;]

Atayin
Mar 10, 2006, 07:26 PM
I love the classic Phantasy Star games. I only wish I had gotten into them back when I was playing Squaresoft titles on my SNES. I feel like I missed out.

Something I've noticed is that each PS seems to have it's own unique flow and charm. Even PSO had that going for it. Out of all the classics, I think I like Phantasy Star IV the most. I really like the little manga/comic book style cutscenes that added a lot of character to the story. I kinda felt like I was watching an anime or reading a comic sometimes and it gave the game a whole different charm and atmosphere.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-03-10 16:27 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 10, 2006, 08:07 PM
Personally, my favorite is Phantasy Star II. It's not the best articulated of the bunch (though probably not the worst, eithcr), but hands down, it has the best story of the bunch, as well as the most dramatic ending.

DizzyDi
Mar 11, 2006, 03:57 PM
I have some of the PS's emulated on my computer, but I haven't played them. I plan on trying 'em out once I get a bigger memory stick for my PSP and sticking them on there. PSO was really the first time I heard of the Phantasy Star series but from what I gather during the heated discussions around here that it has a pretty deep storyline. I'm looking foward to trying it out.

Nai_Calus
Mar 11, 2006, 06:38 PM
The Old Man is just an elder Muskcat. Nobody's ever said how long Muskcats live, but I'm willing to bet it isn't 2000 years.

I'm inordinately fond of PSIV's character interaction.

So, what's the stupidest fan theory you've ever heard? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

What would happen if you gave a numan a Laerma Nut?

Who exactly are all those statues in the Esper Mansion in PSIV of? Alis? Why her and not Lutz, which considering the Espers' attitude towards him would make more sense?

Why do the short squat furry things live on the desert planet, and the tall hairless lizard-looking things live on the ice planet? Was the Great Light having an off day when he/she/it created Algol?

Nisshoku
Mar 12, 2006, 11:05 PM
To my recollection, I don't ever think I've ever heard the context of Laerma nuts outside of the first Phantasy Star.

Perhaps that species of flora died out sometime after that. But then again, that doesn't explain the huge Muskcat in PSIV...

Fascinating...

Getintothegame
Mar 12, 2006, 11:47 PM
I haven't really had any time to play a PS game. Is one game better than another? For example, would you rather play 3 rather than 2? Or would you play them in order?

Guntz348
Mar 13, 2006, 01:28 AM
On 2006-03-12 20:47, Getintothegame wrote:
I haven't really had any time to play a PS game. Is one game better than another? For example, would you rather play 3 rather than 2? Or would you play them in order?

PSI is great, although simple and very basic. Mostly due to the fact that its an SMS game. Although at the time it was very innovative and very new. PSII is considered the best in the series. The story was amazing and the battle and game system were unheard of for its time. PSIII is considered the black sheep of the PS family. It was good but it didnt play as well as the other games did. The story was good too, but it only really served as a side story and set up to PSII. PSIV was really the shining gem in terms of graphics and game play. There were a lot of cool innovations put into that game, including the still cut scene chat skits and the combo system. I would play em in order though. That way you can get a feel of where they came from and where they are going.

Nisshoku
Mar 13, 2006, 06:52 PM
The only thing I'm wondering, is that the ported PS/PSII/PSIII to a GBA title, then why on earth didn't they do this for Phantasy Star IV?

I don't know...PSIV is one of my more favorable PS games, as it takes you back a bit to all of the games, not only for storyline, but as a homage.

That, and I'm a Forren fan. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Nai_Calus
Mar 14, 2006, 05:56 AM
The rumour I've heard is that Sega has actually lost the source code for it.

Which somehow wouldn't surprise me. >_>;;;

Though I'm not sure how well PSIV would translate to the GBA anyway. Them little screens is tiny. Not sure how well it would work with PSIV's style of cutscenes.

Speaking of PSIV, anyone hear anything at all about PSG:3? Did they give up/did it get cancelled/what? Am I just going to have to learn Japanese and import PSG:1 and PSG:2 because the lack of PSG:3 means there's about zip point shit chance of the first two ever coming over here? T_T

...And there have to be more PS fans on this board than are posting here, in fact I know there are. Maybe they just don't know this thread is here because they're like me and never come to off-topic? XD

Anyone like the little Alis sprite I made for my sig? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sinue_v2
Mar 14, 2006, 02:18 PM
The Old Man: Myau, or just an Elder Muskcat?

I'm inclined to say he's just an Elder Musk Cat. Though I'm sure he's there to represent Myau, since Rune seems to vaugely recognise him.

Only once... but I cheated to do it.

So, what's the stupidest fan theory you've ever heard

Mike Ripplinger's "The Two Phantasy Stars" where he takes mistranslations and misspellings and consideres them cannon to the offical storyline - seperating the games into different series in the US and JP.

Either that, or the whole "Noah =/= Lutz and Noah was a girl" theory.

Ever see a HUnewearl with an Angel Wing mag? Something like that I think. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tastes differ on which one is the "best" - but PSIV is generally considered the most comprehensive and PSIII is generally considered the "oddball".

To play them in order, chronologically, you'd have to play PSI, PSII, PSIV, PSIII since PSIII technically takes place after PSIV.

I guess I don't really have a favorite.

The rumour I've heard is that Sega has actually lost the source code for it.

Yeah, I heard the same thing. Still, I'm sure if they really wanted to they could decompile the finished product somehow and recreate the game piece by piece.

That may also be what the holdup on Sega Ages PS:G3 is.. though there was a recent shakeup in Sega dropping 3DAges and bringing the remakes inhouse. The lineup has changed a bit, and not much news has been released conserning unfinished titles.

I've heard a rumor that Sonic Team took over development of the Phantasy Star Trilogy and is planning on including it in Phantasy Star Universe as unlockable mini-games - though that seems rather unlikely to me.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 15, 2006, 02:30 PM
On 2006-03-14 11:18, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Only once... but I cheated to do it.

My brother-in-law (Gold_Dragoon, here on PSO World) managed to level them all to 50, without hacks, including Nei. It took him a good year or so to do it, but by golly, he got the job done.

OdinTyler
Mar 17, 2006, 01:00 PM
On 2006-03-11 15:38, Ian-KunX wrote:
The Old Man is just an elder Muskcat. Nobody's ever said how long Muskcats live, but I'm willing to bet it isn't 2000 years.

So, what's the stupidest fan theory you've ever heard? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Who exactly are all those statues in the Esper Mansion in PSIV of? Alis? Why her and not Lutz, which considering the Espers' attitude towards him would make more sense?

Why do the short squat furry things live on the desert planet, and the tall hairless lizard-looking things live on the ice planet? Was the Great Light having an off day when he/she/it created Algol?

OK, in order:

1. The Old Man of Myst Vale is in fact Myau. There's more than enough evidence to suggest otherwise. You just need play the game to discover so. Musk Cats are different from regular cats in that theyre a species unique to Motavia. Their lifespan can therefore not be determined by an Earth cat lifespan (being 12-15 years on avg).

2. Yes, the character interaction in PSIV is great. Cinemas really do add to the storytelling & humor, of course, helps.

3. Stupidest fan theory I ever heard? That Noah/Lutz is female. It was a major typo in PS1 & Lutz was made reference to in a PSII quote:

"I went to the other side of the crevice. There I saw a beautiful man."

This always stuck with me because I found it hilarious. The Dezorian who said this couldve meant beauty in a physical or a mental sense. Who knows? What is known is he is a HE.

4. If a Numan/Newman ate a Laerma nut? Interesting. You have to wonder about this. Numans were products of human & biomonster DNA. The only being we know of to eat a Laerma nut is Myau, a Motavian. The Laerma are grown on the Altiplano Plateau on Dezoris. Honestly, the only way to know would be to ask a Dezorian.

5. Alis was given a statue because she was revered as the hero who saved Algol. True, she had 3 companions she couldnt do this without. However, it was Alis's quest to end Lassic's reign of terror & avenge her brother. Since she was the one who decided to do something to stop the evil in the land, she is the one most credited. Also, Espers generally tend to keep to themselves. They naturally would respect Lutz, one of their own. For someone like Alis (an outsider) to stand up for what's right, the Espers must've been greatly impressed & thus, were willing to show her much respect.

6. "Why do the short squat furry things live on the desert planet, and the tall hairless lizard-looking things live on the ice planet?"

You're going to have to give me the names of these creatures before I can begin to answer this question. I will say that the Great Light (like any god in any religion) may act in ways that we may not understand. However, there's always a reason behind such things.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 17, 2006, 02:56 PM
On 2006-03-17 10:00, OdinTyler wrote:
1. The Old Man of Myst Vale is in fact Myau.

I disagree. When the Old Man presents you with the Silver Tusk, he states that it has been passed down from generation to generation. We know that this is a weapon that Alis & co. purchased in Abion. Therefore, the first owner of the weapon can't be described as having had the weapon passed down from one generation to the next. It might be assumed that he is a descendent of Myau, but it is apparent that he is not in fact, the same muskcat that traveled at Odin's side.

The Old Man expresses that he feels this is not the first time he has met your party, but on the other hand, several of the muskcats express a similar sentiment, and they can't all be Myau. We're left to conclude that this is some sort of ancestral memory interacting with Rune's unusual properties.

Ultimately, the only thing we have left to suggest that The Old Man is Myau, is wishful thinking.

OdinTyler
Mar 17, 2006, 03:23 PM
On 2006-03-17 11:56, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I disagree. When the Old Man presents you with the Silver Tusk, he states that it has been passed down from generation to generation. We know that this is a weapon that Alis & co. purchased in Abion. Therefore, the first owner of the weapon can't be described as having had the weapon passed down from one generation to the next. It might be assumed that he is a descendent of Myau, but it is apparent that he is not in fact, the same muskcat that traveled at Odin's side.

The Old Man expresses that he feels this is not the first time he has met your party, but on the other hand, several of the muskcats express a similar sentiment, and they can't all be Myau. We're left to conclude that this is some sort of ancestral memory interacting with Rune's unusual properties.

Ultimately, the only thing we have left to suggest that The Old Man is Myau, is wishful thinking.

Sorry, but, I must disagree with you. First, the Silver Tusk is the Silver Fang (bad translation). It was ONLY Myau's weapon (& most powerful one at that). There was no reason for him or any other Musk Cats to have migrated to (of all places, Dezoris) before then, so there wouldnt have been a transfer of ownership. The Musk Cats moved to Dezoris to save their race. Who did so? Who else? Lutz. Lutz moved the Espers to saved them & he helped Myau save his people. We didnt see any Musk Cats on Dezoris during PSII. Therefore, we can only believe that at some point during that timeline, Lutz helped his old friend during the Great Collapse, after the destruction of Mother Brain.

The Old Man has vague memories of 'meeting the party before' because he is an 'old man' afterall. Human or Musk Cat, one could become senile after existing for so long. Myau (or any Musk Cat) didn't have an orb to place one's memories into for preservation as Lutz had. Before then, he had his chamber to preserve him. When that was damaged, his memories (& probably, his soul) were transferred to that orb. That's a fact within the game. No such item was ever shown or alluded to in the series so it cannot apply to Musk Cats. We also dont know the lifespan of Musk Cats so one cannot say that its not possible for one to live for so long.

As for wishful thinking, its not so. It IS Myau. If this picture doesnt clear things up, I dont know what will:

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/genesis/ps4/images/walkthroughpics/part9/zosa02.gif

That pic shows two important facts:

1. The Musk Cat shown has eaten Laerma nuts.
2. All the Laerma nut trees were long since destroyed. If more of them could've eaten them, wouldn't they?

Besides, would they have had a reason to eat them? Myau certainly did. Sega has made many vague references in the past. This is not one such reference. It's a clear cut explanation without the very words: THIS IS MYAU. Sega's never been one to spell things out so literally. To wait for an explanation from them would cause ME to be called The Old Man...and I'm not up for waiting that long.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 17, 2006, 04:05 PM
On 2006-03-17 12:23, OdinTyler wrote:

Sorry, but, I must disagree with you. First, the Silver Tusk is the Silver Fang (bad translation). It was ONLY Myau's weapon (& most powerful one at that).
Yes, it was Myau's weapon, which was purchased in the original Phantasy Star from a shop in Abion, and it was stated by the Old Man that it was passed down from one generation to the next, which clearly indicates that Myau gave it to his successor.

There was no reason for him or any other Musk Cats to have migrated to (of all places, Dezoris) before then, so there wouldnt have been a transfer of ownership. The Musk Cats moved to Dezoris to save their race. Who did so? Who else? Lutz. Lutz moved the Espers to saved them & he helped Myau save his people. We didnt see any Musk Cats on Dezoris during PSII.

You're absolutely wrong about them not appearing in Phantasy Star II. The Muskcats were brought to Dezolis as pets by Palman miners.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/Muskcat-PSII.gif

They're found in the Skure Space Port, and the Magic or Mogic Caps are required to speak to them.

Therefore, we can only believe that at some point during that timeline, Lutz helped his old friend during the Great Collapse, after the destruction of Mother Brain.

You're making up an undocumented event to justify your belief. Tsk tsk.

The Old Man has vague memories of 'meeting the party before' because he is an 'old man' afterall.

Does that also explain why the other muskcats find your party familiar?

2. All the Laerma nut trees were long since destroyed. If more of them could've eaten them, wouldn't they?

It is never stated that the Laerma Tree was destroyed or otherwise extinct. The fact is that it's never been important since the first game, and has therefore gone unmentioned. It's continued existence is unclear, but I submit that there's no indication that it's gone away.

Besides, would they have had a reason to eat them? Myau certainly did.

It's apparent that The Old Man is revered as a patriachal figure. It makes sense that such a leader would be the one to eat the Laerma nut, as a representation of his power as their leader.

Your rebuttal fails to counterpoint the points that I have made. Do you care to try again, or give in to overwhelming logic?

OdinTyler
Mar 17, 2006, 04:37 PM
I admit I forgot about the Musk Cats in PSII. Been so long that I played that & yet, sometimes I remember about the Magic & Mogic Caps & forgot all their uses. LOL I'll give you that. I forgot that. The rest for the most part I still disagree on. Its a widespread belief that The Old Man is in fact Myau & I have no reason to believe otherwise. Your view of The Old Man as a patriarch figure & well revered is justified. No disputing that. But, to give in to 'overwhelming logic'? I'd have to believe as you do for me to consider it logic. Sorry. Not gonna do it.

Oh & the Laerma Tree(s) were in fact destroyed. Wish I could remember where I saw it. But, they were. Simple expanation for why they no longer exist. Miraculously, the Eclipse Torch stayed on (& was 1 of the key components in getting the nuts in the first place).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OdinTyler on 2006-03-17 13:39 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 17, 2006, 05:13 PM
To the contrary, the Laerma tree is never mentioned at all after the original Phantasy Star. Not in the main series, not in the Drama CD, not in Phantasy Star Gaiden, and not in Phantasy Star Adventure, and as far as any non-Japanese speaking individuals know, not in the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures, either. The extent that the Phantasy Star Compendium talks about it, is merely a mention that Myau eats its fruit. We've nothing by which to make any assumptions about the fate of the Laerma tree.

So how do you explain The Old Man's description of the weapon being passed from generation to generation? Let's quote him directly from the script.

Good of you to come, visitors. I'm the chief of this valley. Hmm, there is good in your eyes. No wonder you were let through. It's really strange... I have a feeling that this is not the first time we've met. I feel good about putting this in your care. This is a treasure that has been passed on generation after generation. Take it with you. It's the Silver Tusk!

So if the Old Man is Myau, then what does this statement mean? After all, we know that this is not a weapon that Myau inhereted, as it was, again, purchased in a shop in the original Phantasy Star. Looking back on my resources, I do find that I was wrong about it being in Abion, though it was in fact purchased in the only shop in Loar on Palma.

DizzyDi
Mar 18, 2006, 06:28 PM
Where do PS Adventure, PS Text Adventures, and PS Gaiden fit into the timeline?

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 20, 2006, 08:53 PM
Largely in between Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star II, interestingly enough. Phantasy Star Adventure takes place something like 16 years prior to Phantasy Star II, and is simply enough, a brief adventure of a government agent. The exact placement of Phantasy Star Gaiden isn't really confirmed, but the setting is a planet outside of the Algol system (named Copto), that apparently Alis participated in colonizing. Then there's the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures (one from the perspective of each of the main characters of PSII), which all take place within a few months of the beginning of PSII.

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 23, 2006, 10:47 PM
Its been a while, but If that statement was taken in context AFTER receiving Chaz's elysidon, as if you never found the cave until then, would it make sense that if the old man were myau, he would be able to feel his old companions through it?

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 24, 2006, 02:08 AM
I can see how that would contribute to the general feeling of familiarity that the muskcats expressed toward the party, yes. Though seeing as it's not just the old man that expresses this sort of sentiment, but many of the muskcats, I don't see that this substantially contributes to the concept that the old man could be Myau.

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 25, 2006, 03:51 AM
I wonder... is it possible to go from the japanese version on this one since some translations from back then couldn't be trusted.

DezoPenguin
Mar 26, 2006, 05:05 PM
Actually, as far as Laerma trees go, try looking at the description of Rune's initial weapon, the "Wood-Cane": "A cane made from the wood of a laerumatree." Unless you're going to argue that the slightly different spelling indicates a completely different tree (*sigh*), there's an indication that they're still around close enough to AW 2284 for people to make canes from them.

DezoPenguin
Mar 26, 2006, 05:19 PM
On 2006-03-11 15:38, Ian-KunX wrote:

Why not? Dezorians apparently can. ^_- But seriously, I'd rather believe it was Myau just...well, what would be the point of it NOT being Myau? But there's no reason to believe it is.

(Nonetheless, I can't imagine Myau saying to Rika, "Here, take this legendary item which I got at a really good weapon sale a couple of millennia ago.")

Better to spend my time theorizing on where they hang the badminton net, while we're on the subject of mistranslations.

Yep. First game I ever played where I actually cared about the characters as characters, as opposed to liking them based on their appearance and statistics.

While I freely admit to having my blood pressure steam over Noah/Lutz, the one fan theory I've never liked was when Mike basically decided all the information given by Rika in the Wreckage scene was a pack of lies.

I would note, however, that no fan has yet suggested seriously that Palm, Palma, and Parma are actually three different planets. We're obviously missing an opportunity here.

I don't know, but if it was a female Numan the result would probably be more appropriate for hentai doujinshi than the normal ones are.

I figure they're of Alis and they were built by Lutz (or more likely, on his orders). After all, it's his mansion, so he gets to pick the decor.

As far as the furry things go, we have no evidence that Motavia is a hot desert planet. Given the extremes of temperature desert environments experience anyway, fur is probably very handy when one wanders away from the equator. Especially when it switched orbits with Palma.

As for hairless green people on an ice planet...I can't really explain that one. Maybe green was the only color left in heat-retentive skin tones when the Great Light went to Racial-Design-R-Us (slogan: "All An Aspiring Deity Needs To Build His Own Worshippers")?

Nai_Calus
Mar 27, 2006, 08:42 AM
On 2006-03-26 14:19, DezoPenguin wrote:

But of COURSE a different spelling means it's a different tree! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Why not? Dezorians apparently can. ^_- But seriously, I'd rather believe it was Myau just...well, what would be the point of it NOT being Myau? But there's no reason to believe it is.

The same point there is to having a Psycho Wand in PSO that doesn't look anything at all like the actual Psycho Wand, or to naming characters in PSU after PS characters? XD (Rutsu my ASS, ST, I know what you're up to) Useless nostalgia. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

(Nonetheless, I can't imagine Myau saying to Rika, "Here, take this legendary item which I got at a really good weapon sale a couple of millennia ago.")

XD

Better to spend my time theorizing on where they hang the badminton net, while we're on the subject of mistranslations.

Good old 'hane'. That one pops up annoyingly all the time. >_< Does no one ever stop to think that 'hey, we're talking about things with wings here, maybe that 'feather' definition makes more sense here'? @_x

I would note, however, that no fan has yet suggested seriously that Palm, Palma, and Parma are actually three different planets. We're obviously missing an opportunity here.

Yeah, we totally are. While we're at it, Dezolis, Dezoris and Dezo are all different planets, and so are Motavia, Motabia and Mota. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Oh, and the Alis we see in Rolf's dream in PSII and the one we see in Elysdeon in PSIV aren't the same Alis from PSI, because they don't look exactly like her! Their hair is all wrong! XD XD XD (Which randomly reminds me of that one screenshot from PSG:2 I saw where Rolf is dreaming and he's fairly obviously naked and Alis looks like she's looking back over her shoulder at him with this totally disgusted look on her face. It cracks me up every time I see it. XD)

I don't know, but if it was a female Numan the result would probably be more appropriate for hentai doujinshi than the normal ones are.

Oh, I'm sure. Those crazy doujinshi makers can come up with a way to do anything. (I ran across EllyxCal terminal once, and my mind broke.)

I figure they're of Alis and they were built by Lutz (or more likely, on his orders). After all, it's his mansion, so he gets to pick the decor.

Mmm, probably. (Though it makes you wonder if he didn't like Odin or Myau, then. XD Ooh, ooh, no, wait, another opportunity for a stupid fan theory, Lutz was secretly in love with her and never got around to admitting it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif *shot* Ok, Ok, I'll stop. X3 Can I nominate myself for stupidest fan theory? XD)

As far as the furry things go, we have no evidence that Motavia is a hot desert planet. Given the extremes of temperature desert environments experience anyway, fur is probably very handy when one wanders away from the equator. Especially when it switched orbits with Palma.

You have a point there. I hadn't thought of that, though it might have been hot before the orbit switch. Hard to say.

As for hairless green people on an ice planet...I can't really explain that one. Maybe green was the only color left in heat-retentive skin tones when the Great Light went to Racial-Design-R-Us (slogan: "All An Aspiring Deity Needs To Build His Own Worshippers")?

XD Maybe the Great Light just had a sense of humour. "LOL, that'll confuse 'em." Though if the Great Light was trying to make its own worshippers, it doesn't seem to have done too well with the Dezolians. *snerk*

At least their facial features make sense. Narrow slitted eyes and flat noses, exactly the kind of thing that would make sense in something that lived where there was cold and snow all the time. (Though I admit that generally, yes, I would also expect a nice thick coating of fur.)

Mmm, another thing that kind of bugged me. Why, exactly, are La Shiec and his minions in PSIV apparently convinced that Rune is Lutz?

(And now you know why I should be forbidden from posting at 5:30 in the morning)

Guntz348
Mar 27, 2006, 09:38 AM
On 2006-03-27 05:42, Ian-KunX wrote:

Mmm, another thing that kind of bugged me. Why, exactly, are La Shiec and his minions in PSIV apparently convinced that Rune is Lutz?

Mostly like because Lutz consious was contained in the memory sphere that Rune now possed in his head. Or at least the information within it. Kinda like the Matrix of Leadership from Transformers =D

DezoPenguin
Mar 27, 2006, 05:10 PM
On 2006-03-27 05:42, Ian-KunX wrote:
Mmm, probably. (Though it makes you wonder if he didn't like Odin or Myau, then. XD Ooh, ooh, no, wait, another opportunity for a stupid fan theory, Lutz was secretly in love with her and never got around to admitting it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif *shot* Ok, Ok, I'll stop. X3 Can I nominate myself for stupidest fan theory? XD)

I hate to say this, Ian...but far from being the "stupidest" fan theory, you're probably fairly close to the canonical truth. Especially when you factor in how Rune liked to stand and stare at the statue of Alis in Termi (okay, he might have been thinking, "Man, her kneecaps were way knobbier than that in real life; what was the sculptor doing?" but somehow I doubt it...), AND how Lutz in PSII managed to tell Rolf all about how Alis saved Algo from Dark Force and overlooked the contributions of the entire rest of the party...including himself...

Yeah, unrequited love works for me, there.

Elly x CAL Terminal??? Um, do you mean the little floaty ones or the big one she sits behind?

Er, maybe I'd better not ask.

(No clue about Lashiec...maybe he's not confused by intergenerational artistic differences as one of his Demonic Evil Powers?)

Nai_Calus
Mar 28, 2006, 04:38 AM
On 2006-03-27 14:10, DezoPenguin wrote:

I hate to say this, Ian...but far from being the "stupidest" fan theory, you're probably fairly close to the canonical truth. Especially when you factor in how Rune liked to stand and stare at the statue of Alis in Termi (okay, he might have been thinking, "Man, her kneecaps were way knobbier than that in real life; what was the sculptor doing?" but somehow I doubt it...), AND how Lutz in PSII managed to tell Rolf all about how Alis saved Algo from Dark Force and overlooked the contributions of the entire rest of the party...including himself...

Yeah, unrequited love works for me, there.

Aww, darn. I wanted to come up with a stupid theory. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Though I suppose if you look at it that way, it does kind of make sense, and that's an ancient RPG cliche, too. XD;;; Can I at least have a cookie for thinking up something vaguely plausible? X3;;;

Elly x CAL Terminal??? Um, do you mean the little floaty ones or the big one she sits behind?

Er, maybe I'd better not ask.

Probably a bad idea, yeah. The floaty one. X3

(No clue about Lashiec...maybe he's not confused by intergenerational artistic differences as one of his Demonic Evil Powers?)

XD "Because we said so. Now shut up and go whack that Rappy like a good little b!tch."

Rune: Uh, Lashiec, you might want to get some glasses. I'm not quite exactly Lutz.
Lashiec: Shut up and die, Lutz!
Rune: Argh! Why are you so obsessed with the idea of me being the original Lutz, anyway?
Lashiec: Because the creators said so, damn it, now DIE ALREADY.

...Sorry, I'm weird tonight usually always. >.>;

DezoPenguin
Mar 28, 2006, 08:15 PM
Just wanted to mention...because I'm that kind of self-plugging wonk...that I've got a new PSIV fanfic posted, this time at ff.net. It's an extended Alys Brangwin fic (what's that, my 26th Alys story?), with chapters being posted every other day (amazing how much easier it is to keep a promise like that when I've already typed the whole thing up). It stars Alys as a Hunter trainee, her mentor Galf, and their first meeting with some guy with light blue hair...

Anyway, here's the link:

Techniques of Chaos (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2860412/1/)

And Ian, you do get a cookie, but it's going to have to be a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, 'cause we save the chocolate chip for stupid theories. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nai_Calus
Mar 29, 2006, 11:56 PM
Hmm. White chocolate is the solidified manifestation of all that is wrong and evil and scary in this world, but macadamia nuts are next to god. It'll do. *munches* Thanks. XD

Whoo-hoo! *pounces story* This'll give me something to look foward to for a bit. X3

So, assuming they ever re-release PSIV in some form, do you think they'll actually bother fixing the L99 bug, or will they just leave it as-is?

Sinue_v2
Apr 1, 2006, 03:00 PM
Mostly like because Lutz consious was contained in the memory sphere that Rune now possed in his head. Or at least the information within it. Kinda like the Matrix of Leadership from Transformers =D

Actually, it reminds me of the character Jadzea-Dax from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Only, instead of a symbyant parasite living within the host - the memory sphere simply imparts Lutz's memory and conciousness over-top of the hosts already existing memory and conciousness. So in essance, Rune -IS- Lutz... but he's also Rune, a totally different person, simutaniously.

One question I have is.. do the personalities and conciousness of past Lutz's also get passed on? Will Rune be, in some small way, pass on to the next Lutz? While it is only Lutz's memories an conciousness which gets passed on - it is still, for a time, a shared mind.

OdinTyler
Apr 8, 2006, 04:41 PM
Good analogy. I think some memories would transfer over tho not all of them. The important thing is to make sure enough of the original Lutz is transferred to the next generation to not only keep his power going, but, the power of all Espers. Esper training has always been very secretive & we didn't exactly see all of Noah's training when he trained with Master Tajima/Tarzimal. There is definitely something to Lutz as he is 'the reverent one'. He is no ordinary Esper & no ordinary human.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 18, 2006, 10:05 PM
On 2006-03-26 14:19, DezoPenguin wrote:

Given the presence of cacti on Motavia in PSI, comparing to where these plants exist on Earth, it's likely that it's a hot desert. That's not necessarily a problem, though. The Wooly Mammoth, for example, was always thought to live in a cold environment because of its heavy coat, but further investigation reveals that tropical flowers were part of their diet. Also consider that there are many furry breeds of mammals that exist in deserts including one of the most famous desert-dwelling beasts of all-- the camel.

As far as Dezolians go, I've theorized that their green skin may be an indication of photosynthesis, acting as a supliment to digestional nutrition, which I imagine would be fairly sparse in a tundra climate. This also puts their fire-worship into a new perspective, as it may very well be that they worship fire not so much because it provides warmth (though that may very well be concurrent reasoning), but also because it provides life-giving light. It also provides some insight into the Ecplise Torch, being not just a fire lit during an arbitrary solar event, but in fact a Light made to shine when all else is in Darkness.

DezoPenguin
Apr 20, 2006, 01:36 PM
On 2006-04-18 20:05, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

As far as Dezolians go, I've theorized that their green skin may be an indication of photosynthesis, acting as a supliment to digestional nutrition, which I imagine would be fairly sparse in a tundra climate. This also puts their fire-worship into a new perspective, as it may very well be that they worship fire not so much because it provides warmth (though that may very well be concurrent reasoning), but also because it provides life-giving light. It also provides some insight into the Ecplise Torch, being not just a fire lit during an arbitrary solar event, but in fact a Light made to shine when all else is in Darkness.

That's an interesting theory, especially in the context that we have really no idea what Dezolian lifestyles are like, given the limited detail that was offered in these earlier-gen console games (well, we know that they have similar dishes and can get drunk, but that's about it...). And your theory does fit with the proven characteristics of the Eclipse Torch (PSI, when it causes the Laerma tree to produce leaves and berries).

Nai_Calus
Apr 22, 2006, 03:45 AM
Going for the moment with the supposition that Lutz's personality is also passed along, like the Jadzia Dax metaphor, even though it's a little creepier than even I like to get, how much of Rune's personality is his own, and how much comes from Lutz? If it is like that, and Lutz was just as snarky as assuming that situation with Rune would be, what would happen if the person who got chosen to be, I dunno, the 12th Generation Lutz, was this sweet shy person? Or would that just not happen, and someone with a more suited personality would be chosen? (For that matter, would there ever be a female Esper chosen for the role? Would anyone even notice if one were? XD)

Re wondering if Rune's knowledge would also be passed along to the next Lutz, it would make more sense if it was... Otherwise he would have to tell the next one, assuming they're chosen before the previous one dies, everything that happened with the Profound Darkness and the like. Then again, what makes sense isn't always what is, so who knows. XD

Photosynthesis, eh? That would explain the green, I suppose. XD

Annnd back on the subject that's been beaten to death already... Is there always a Lutz, or are there period when there isn't? The Compendium says Lutz died in 1299, so if we accept that as fact, in the intervening 985 years between then and 3084, there have only been 4 people to bear the title. Rune probably hasn't been Lutz for that long, so we've got three people to fill probably a good 960 years or so, depending on how old Rune is, for an average of 320 years per Lutz. So either Espers have ridiculous life spans or there isn't always a Lutz around. (Or I suppose you can theorize that the cyrogenic chamer Lutz used was still working for a while after he died and the second one used it for a while, but in that case it brings up the question of why the original wasn't just continuing to use it...)

Mmm, random ponderings at 1:40 in the morning. >_>;

Edit: Also, Dezo, you need to write another fic, and now. Now that Techniques of Chaos is finished, I have nothing to look forward to. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ian-KunX on 2006-04-22 02:29 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Apr 23, 2006, 12:52 AM
how much of Rune's personality is his own, and how much comes from Lutz? If it is like that, and Lutz was just as snarky as assuming that situation with Rune would be, what would happen if the person who got chosen to be, I dunno, the 12th Generation Lutz, was this sweet shy person?

Unfortunately, we don't really know because we don't know Rune's personality before the merger - nor do we know the personalitys of the previous generation Lutz's. It's possible that each personality kind of rubs off on Lutz, like an accent would for someone who lived in Louisiana for a few years. Or it's possible that just the memorys and experiences of Lutz are transfered over - but none of the personality traits. Lutz and Rune are two very different people, personality wise, so all we know is that there was some sort of change along the way.

As for Lutz being "dormant" for periods of time, I don't see a conflict. The Telepathy Ball may just hold Lutz's conciousness and memories while waiting for the "right" host to come along every few generations, or when there is impending buisness which the Espers need Lutz's presence for. It's also possible that the line of Lutz's was never broken - but that their rediculously long lifespans can be attributed to cryogenics. Remember, that technically Lutz himself was over 1,000 years old in PSII's time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-04-22 22:53 ]</font>

Sord
Jun 9, 2006, 12:12 PM
meh, I'm not going to bother reading through all this, probably to many many spoilers anyways...

Just borrowed the GBA set from my friend (I should probably get the GBA-GC to TV hookup back from him to...) the first thing I do in PSI is walk into a dungeon and my mind goes "XD I know this song!" anyways after getting my ass owned by and owl bear, which clearly has no resemblence to either an owl or a bear and makes me wonder how the hell they attack without blinding themselves or screwing up their flight pattern, I proceeded to level up on scorpians and sworm. Now I just need to find that damn talking beast with the medicine around his neck that I'm guessing is a cure for Medusa's stone that has been used on the guy I'm guessing is Oden, blargh! *listens to dungeon theme for kicks*

yeah, sugar highs, late at night, gamers nonstalgia... healthy or no? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

OnnaWren
Aug 2, 2006, 04:55 PM
Hmmm, hairy Motavians? I always thought that that was more of oh, I don't know, hairlike feathers (see also kiwi)... beaks and such. *shrug* Not making much sense, I suppose... as usual.

Hunter-Hucast
Aug 2, 2006, 04:59 PM
Did you ever know when you do the "Fake in Yellow" mission and beat it, and then return back to the forest, you'll see Cheese? And when you talk to it, and the return to Pioneer2, you'll see this Gameboy Advance-like object next to the Hunter's Guild (but not inside it)

isahn80
Aug 3, 2006, 10:56 AM
Damn, I just read through this thread and there's some interesting stuff here. I personally thought the "Old Man" Musk Cat was Myau, but after closer inspection (and looking at the PS4 script) it becomes apparent he's not.

Most idiotic PS moment: When I first played Phantasy Star 2, I bought the "Musik" technique for Nei. Sad.

Dumbest PS theory: I agree the whole Mike Ripplinger "Phantasy Star Ultimate" timeline thing is more or less complete B.S. What really stings is that when I first saw that, I thought it was the most awesome thing ever. Seriously, I was like "these fanfics are so cool, how could it not be true?"

I must have been stoned or something.

Anyway, I have another topic of discussion regarding the Phantasy Star 3 endings and continuity in general.

I've inclined to believe Aron's ending is correct for continuity purposes. The one part of the "Phantasy Star Ultimate" timeline I still like was the proposal that when the Alisa III made it to Earth through the black hole, the Earthlings discovered the whereabouts of Algo, and constructed the Noah. The Dark Force beaten at the end of PS3 doesn't die, but flees, so it creeps aboard the Noah and then you have the DF at the end of PS2.

Since we know that a Dark Force emerges once every thousand years, at the end of PS2 there are 2 Dark Forces, and they are actually the same one. The one that emerges climbs aboard the fleeing worldships and begins destroying them, while the future (or past, depending on how you look at it) version of that same DF is aboard the Noah.

What do you think? Complete crap or no?

There's another thing that's bugged me about the Phantasy Star games as well. In PS2, 3, and 4, the characters and NPC's that look like humans are referred to as being "human," but then these Earthlings show up in PS2, and last time I checked Earthlings are human too. So how the hell did humans get to Algo beforehand?

I tried writing a fanfic to explain this, but I based it on Phantasy star "ultimate" (back before I realized it was more or less made up) and it pretty much sucks. I need to rewrite the thing to make it more original and plausible.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 3, 2006, 03:21 PM
I believe the general idea is that the races of Algol aren't unique to Algol. It's never explained straight out, but Le Roof's explanation of the origins of Algol, if I remember correctly, doesn't state that the Great Light created the races of Algol, but rather, it placed the people in Algol; vaguely implying that the Great Light got these races from elsewhere.

Sinue_v2
Aug 3, 2006, 04:26 PM
That is a vauge implication though - and subject (if I'm not mistaken) to translation error. I've always taken the position that Algolian Humans and Earth Humans are different species - though they look very similar. It's a shortcut taken in Sci-Fi quite often as a way to not only cut corners on creativity (inventing entirely new and alien races & cultures is a massive undertaking) - but to help the human audience identify more with the characters.

Not to say that it's impossible for earthlings and algolians to have come from the same genetic stock - but it's just one of the many questions we may never have answered definitively.

Though it would be pretty cool to think that there could be entire races of Motavians, Dezolians, and Humans still out in their own solar systems unknowing of each other's presence. Hell, who's to say that the only way out of the Rift was through Algol. It was just one particular weak spot the PS storyline focused on. What if there were multiple planetary seals - like the SOL system, and the PD's influence leaked into our own world slowly bringing death and destruction to humanity... forming our concepts of satan and evil. It'd be a very Lovecraftian scenario and make for some great spinoffs.

Lamon
Aug 3, 2006, 04:38 PM
ok this question has been bugging me for a long time now i want to get phantasy star universe for the x box 360 but i dont know if like final fantasy 11 the 360 version can go online with the playstation and computer

Sharkyland
Aug 4, 2006, 02:37 AM
I have only played PSII, PSIII, and PSIV. I kinda liked PSIII even if it didn't have any Newmans/NUmans w/e (only problem I found with the game, not many saves for all endings though some of the character were cute). I did buy the SEGA AGES remake of PSII where I'm at the point at fighting Nei 1st. -.- I don't wanna lose Nei. ;_; As for the Gensis game of PSII, my character lvls last time I checked was 43. I got Nei like to 40 something because I killed Rolf, Ryudo and just let Nei run around freely alone killing enemies on her own. The enemies don't give out good exp in the last area. After beating the game, I just didn't feel like lvling them anymore.

DarthMegatron
Aug 4, 2006, 06:41 PM
Arrrgghh, man I really wish I had something to contribute to this really interesting discussion, but I don't. I just recently got PS Collection for my Game Boy Player and PSIV for the Genesis. I played them all a little bit to get a feel, level up a few times, etc. Right now I have more games to beat then I know what to do with. Currently, I am working on BoFIV and I am still addicted to PSO Ep 1 & 2 Plus, and I still have to finish Blood Omen 2. Probably, after I beat BoFIV or maybe even today I will start working on PSI, this discussion makes me want to play them that bad. As it is, I have some questions, it seems like you guys have a degree in Phantasy Star, so, heh.

Is the themesong from the Phantasy Star games in PSO? You know the one. I thought maybe it was the opening song but I can't be sure. I don't see why they don't use the old themsong it's very catchy.

1) I've heard of Text Adventures for games, a Japanese thing I guess, I don't really get the concept. I forgot which one but I remember there was another RPG that had these. But, anyway, what is Phantasy Star Gaiden and Phantasy Star Adventure? I've never heard of them; where can I find them?

2) Hmm, I know this is probably pointless to even discuss, but I'm thinking that the first characters you start with on PSIV are Humar, Hunewearl, and Fomar? Which is such a coincedence because those are the first three types of characters I am working on PSO!!

3) And uhh, are Alis and Alys does that refer to the same person? Also, another thing I found surprising was that PSI, a quite old game, had a female lead main character. Ahead of it's time maybe? Maybe not, but I found it pretty cool, nonetheless.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthMegatron on 2006-08-04 16:42 ]</font>

isahn80
Aug 4, 2006, 09:39 PM
1) I've heard of Text Adventures for games, a Japanese thing I guess, I don't really get the concept. I forgot which one but I remember there was another RPG that had these. But, anyway, what is Phantasy Star Gaiden and Phantasy Star Adventure? I've never heard of them; where can I find them?

Info about the text adventures:
http://www.efkm.com/dezoris/pse_pst.html

Info about Gaiden:
http://www.efkm.com/dezoris/pse_psg.html

Info about Adventure:
http://www.efkm.com/dezoris/pse_psa.html

You can find Phantasy Star Gaiden, Adventure and some of the text adventures as translated, LEGAL roms here:
http://www.pscave.com/dow/rom/rom.html

If anyone knows if any more of the text adventures are translated, I'd like to know. I want to play Nei's adventure.

2) Hmm, I know this is probably pointless to even discuss, but I'm thinking that the first characters you start with on PSIV are Humar, Hunewearl, and Fomar? Which is such a coincedence because those are the first three types of characters I am working on PSO!!

Yeah, I could see that. I'm sure Sega drew upon the older PS characters for inspiration for the PSO classes.

3) And uhh, are Alis and Alys does that refer to the same person? Also, another thing I found surprising was that PSI, a quite old game, had a female lead main character. Ahead of it's time maybe? Maybe not, but I found it pretty cool, nonetheless.

They're different people. Alis Landale is obviously the heroine from PS1 (and yes, a female lead in a video game rpg- probably one of the first). Alys has nothing to do with Alis, other than having a similar-sounding name.

DarthMegatron
Aug 4, 2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks, that's awesome! What's a Text Adventure. A friend told me about them. Are they kind of like those old Choose-your-path Books? I have a classic Transformers and Indiana Jones one. For example, do you want so-and-so to this or this, if so turn to page x or page y, etc. And there are multiple different outcomes throughout the book.

DezoPenguin
Aug 9, 2006, 12:03 AM
On 2006-08-04 21:09, DarthMegatron wrote:
Thanks, that's awesome! What's a Text Adventure. A friend told me about them. Are they kind of like those old Choose-your-path Books? I have a classic Transformers and Indiana Jones one. For example, do you want so-and-so to this or this, if so turn to page x or page y, etc. And there are multiple different outcomes throughout the book.

Not quite. More like the classic PC games like Zork or the like. Or, for a reference for people who were born on this side of the NES, like a text-based MUD. Actually, that's very similar since there's a limited menu of commands.

In the PS text adventures, basically you get a room description. You can move to adjoining rooms through available exits, pick up items, use items, attack monsters, and so on. The only "graphic" component is the picture of your character and occasionally...I think...a picture of a monster. Been too long since I played one to remember.

Oh, and Naflign translated and converted both "Nei's Adventure" and "Amia'a Adventure" to be played in English on the PC (in several variations for several OSes, actually) (Amia is Anna in the Japanese PS2, btw. Ironically, Amy's original name is Anne, so they got flipped as well as slightly altered). I have no idea if they're available on the web, still, but they used to be.

DezoPenguin
Aug 15, 2006, 09:14 PM
I guess this goes here...never posted it over at the PSDB because it got lost in my PSO notes file.

THE TOP TEN CULTURAL OBSERVATIONS FROM THE SPACESHIP NOAH XENOBIOLOGY DEPARTMENT

10. "Perseus, Medusa, centaurs, manticores, sphinxes, titans...is anyone else getting the idea that coming here was not a coincidence?"

9. "They must be a highly advanced civilization. Their fast food is actually nutritious!"

8. "Tell me about this Alis Landale person again." "One girl in all the world, she alone will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of evil..."

7. "This Motavia planet is a desert being settled by foreign colonists that are displacing the nomadic locals? Are you sure there isn't any oil here?"

6. *FOOM* "All right, who thought the baby dragon would make a cute pet?!"

5. "You know, after seeing some of the insect life down there, I'm thinking it was a bad idea to develop the Noah's vermin-exterminator robot into Mother Brain."

4. "Somebody call Psychotherapy. When the DeBeers rep heard that the natives use diamonds for armor plating, he went catatonic."

3. "What do you mean all three planets are inhabited already. Didn't anyone think to call ahead and make reservations?"

2. "I don't think the military department is going to be all that worried about the native defense capacity. Their high-powered, armor-piercing plasma cannons are about half as effective as a really good sword."

And the #1 cultural observation from the Spaceship Noah Xenobiology Department...

1. "So every 1000 years, a demon appears and tries to destroy the system and everyone in it? At least anything we screw up can't be worse than that."

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 20, 2006, 05:34 PM
Ok, i'm gonna have to stop ya on #1. They contained Dark Force inside Pandora's Box.

Also they wouldn't have known it was 1000 years because they were only just setting up shop at that point i guess.

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 09:49 AM
with PSIV coming to Genesis Collection, I wonder what Sega has considered to do with the PS1 and PS2 remakes? is Sega AGES still developing remakes? maybe they are waiting for them to complete PSIV remake before selling those 3 remakes over here later on?

besides it wouldn't make sense to release them here this year since iit would interfere with PSU's sales and vice versa.

but anyways PSIV doesn't need a remake. it's already perfect the way it is. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

although I would like to play the first PS remake since the original Master System version is just....too painful on the eyes.
I mean Alis with bushy black hair and holding a sword out while wandering around towns like some killer frenzy psycho.....not a pretty picture. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Sinue_v2
Aug 21, 2006, 12:53 PM
The PSIV remake is on permenant hold the last I heard.

Shortly after the PSII remake was released, Sega basically fired 3DAges because of the unsatisfactory job they were doing with the licences. Sega then brought development of the 3DAges collection in-house and rearranged the lineup. Nothing much has been heard of it since then AFAIK.

OnnaWren
Aug 21, 2006, 02:31 PM
Well, even if the remake of Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium is kaput (a very small part of me wants to cheer at that news, because I couldn't tolerate a Wren/Demi character redesign), what of Conspiracy Games' English ports/compilation? Is it/are they, too, kaput? Or have the licenses for such passed to yet another company?

Sinue_v2
Aug 21, 2006, 05:49 PM
Conspiracy, as a company, folded AFAIK. None of their US ports ever saw completion - and Sega had to release it's own compilation of Sega Ages remakes in the Sega Classics Collection released last year. I've heard rumors of Sega Classics Collection II - but so far nothing.

The only other thing I've heard about the subject, was a small rumor from quite awhile ago that said the development of the PSIV remake was brought inhouse to Sonic Team after 3DAges lost their contract. At first, it was thought that Sonic Team (or another in-house developer) would finish the trilogy and release it along side Phantasy Star Universe. Perhaps a few weeks before, or after, release to help maximise it's sales. Perhaps even a PSU/PSG bundle for 10-15 bucks more.

The bundle rumor was soon replaced with the notion that Sonic Team had intended to include the PSG (Phantasy Star Generations) trilogy with PSU as hidden mini-games which can be unlocked by completing certain online or offline quests satisfactorally. An expansion on the mini-game idea they implimented in PSO Ep I & II for the NGC.

Though, I've yet to find any solid evidence to back up these rumors. The only reason I even mention them is that rumors often start with at least a small kernel of truth - just as the rumor about a new PS MMO managed to come to fruition in the form of PSU several years later.

Oh.. and not to play Devils Advocate or anything - but what has Rieko and Tohru been up to since the Wow/Overworks merger? They've kinda fallen off the face of the planet despite Skies of Arcadia being a rousing success.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-08-21 15:53 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 07:01 PM
whaat? from the pics and videos I seen of the remakes, PS1 and II looked really good. I mean poor character redesigns aside, it still looked and played out pretty great! that's so mean of Sega to fire Sega AGES like that.

sure they screwed up Golden Axe, but the Phantasy Star remakes looked and sounded really professional and in some ways better than the originals.

its too bad they might not release them over here, or anytime soon. and I don't like importing. I guess Sega chosen to release the original PSII, III and IV on the Genesis Collection instead.

so ya, although I already have it, even IV by itself is far more valuable than 2 remakes, in this case I think they make a good call, I was worried they lost the PSIV source code and was unable to port it to current consoles.

Sinue_v2
Aug 21, 2006, 08:31 PM
I was worried they lost the PSIV source code and was unable to port it to current consoles.

Which is still entirely possible, and another often heard reason for why PSIV is always the hang-up in compilations or remakes of the series. PSIV's inclusion in the Genesis collection doesn't mean that they haven't lost the source code. Obviously they still have the compiled version, and it's most likely that all the games on the disk will simply be running through emulation. For that number of games, it'd be impractical to expect Sega to modify them all to run on PS2 hardware. It would be far easier to just write an emulator for the hardware - and then tweak it to offer greater compatability. Sega Smash Pack collection on the Dreamcast, for example, ran all of it's games through emulation.

The Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA, on the other hand, was at least partially recoded for the GBA hardware. It does not run through emulation. Hence part of the reason why Rieko Kodama was personally involved in supervising the project - and why there are numerous small changes to the games.

[EDIT]: Does anyone happen to have, or know where I can find screenshots or concept art from Phantasy Star IV: The Return of Alis? I would like a little something for the Wiki - but I haven't been able to stumble across anything yet. I don't think even the Compendium mentions it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-08-22 00:51 ]</font>

OnnaWren
Aug 22, 2006, 02:14 PM
AFAIK, only EGM covered that little nugget, but I can't remember which year it was... sorry. -_-;

Sinue_v2
Aug 22, 2006, 05:19 PM
Crap... I would have figured Rip, Max, or Louise would have snatched it up the moment it hit store shelves so they could post it to their sites. They usually have all kinds of nifty trivia-esque nick-nacks on display. I don't think it's even been MENTIONED on any of their sites before...

Well, thanks anyhow. Least now I know where the info originated from - maybe I could try to contact EGM?

OnnaWren
Aug 23, 2006, 02:35 PM
Louise? Must have been during my years absent from the intarweb (2000-2003), since I don't recollect who she is... O_o;

Sinue_v2
Aug 23, 2006, 03:38 PM
I dunno how active she is, or isn't, in the Phantasy Star community - but she's otherwise known as Myau of Algol, of The Algol Solar System (http://www.algol-star-system.net/index.shtml). She's always been one of my major references when discussing PS.

OnnaWren
Aug 23, 2006, 03:42 PM
Ohhh, MoA!

Turns out I have something in common with her, BroWren hates me now, too! The more things change, I suppose. >_<

Back to the topic, pholks! Nothing to see here!

Sinue_v2
Aug 23, 2006, 05:41 PM
So I take it MoA is MIA? I shot her an Email a week or two back asking if it's alright to use some of the materials on her site and for permission to link there - but I haven't heard a word from her. No activity in the forums either as far as I can tell...

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 04:24 AM
what is this Return of Alys thing? is that a fan game?

Sinue_v2
Aug 24, 2006, 05:08 AM
Clicky (http://www.phantasystarwiki.com/index.php?title=Phantasy_Star_IV:_The_Return_of_Al is)

OnnaWren
Aug 24, 2006, 05:34 PM
Hmmm... do you wonder if the "return" of Alis might have been from the Copto System? That would have given Gaiden a shred more legitimacy in the PS canon... O_o

Sinue_v2
Aug 24, 2006, 05:48 PM
Well, as far as I'm concerned - PSG is canon.. but it's an embarassment to the series in serveral ways.

As for Alis's return, it's hard to say where she could have come from. Perhaps she left Copto and returned to Algol - and was originally meant to be entombed in a cryo-chamber underneither the Esper mansion. (Her statue and sword are there, after all, in PS:EotM). Perhaps she died, and her return would have a form of ressurection.

Unfortunately, I've never seen anything about it in any other source material. Nothing in the Compendium, or the various books which were written about the history of the series. No production art, demos, animation storyboards, scenario planning... zip. For a project that large, and far enough into production that they would know the size of the world maps and estimate a size for the game on the disk - you'd think there would be a lot of info out there floating around on some obscure JP website. Even Phantasy Star II's original planning script was released... why not this?

DarthMegatron
Aug 25, 2006, 06:47 AM
All very interesting. I'm really going to have to start playing my original PS series games. I just got them, and, as it is, I have sooo many games to beat already, heh heh. Does anyone know if the original themesong is used anywhere in PSO? I thought maybe the 'whole new world' thing was one in the same but I don't think so. I'd have to hear them side by side but they don't sound greatly similar.

Sinue_v2
Aug 25, 2006, 07:51 AM
Not to my knowladge... the only music from PS that I know got remixed into PSO is PSII's battle music. (Trick Track 2?) I'm sure there's more instances, but I don't have a very good ear for picking out tunes.

DezoPenguin
Aug 25, 2006, 08:31 AM
I believe both the "A longing to ancient times" (Temple) and "Tricktrack" (Spaceship) features assorted PS-series music. Tricktrack Part 2 is, of course, the most obvious due to the dominant PS1 dungeon music arrangement.

Nai_Calus
Aug 25, 2006, 08:59 AM
Let's see, the four stage themes for Temple and Spaceship. Parts of them might be original, who knows, but parts I recognize.

Alonging to ancient times part 1 - There's two main parts to this. First one I don't know, second one is a remix of Power from PSII

Alonging to ancient times part 2 - There seem to be two or three main parts to this one. One's a remix of one of the PSI dungeon themes, I don't recognize the other stuff.

Tricktrack part 1 - Part of it is Violation from PSII, dunno what the rest of it is.

Tricktrack part 2 - The other PS1 dungeon theme, Rise and Fall from PSII(<3).

(Oddly, despite liking at least the recognizable elements of the two Tricktracks in their original form, I still hate Spaceship's music. Bland remixing. I can listen to Alonging to ancient times part1 all day, though, heh.)

Parn
Aug 25, 2006, 09:03 AM
Episode IV also incorporated some old tunes. "Nostalgia in Solitude -PART 1-" has blatant usage of Phantasy Star III's title theme at the 2:13 mark, and "Nostalgia in Solitude -PART 2-" uses the tune that plays in Lashute on your way to defeat Rulakir as well as Dark Force's theme from Phantasy Star III, both in bits and pieces throughout the song much like what is done with Tricktrack.

For those that didn't play Episode IV, or don't ever intend to, here are the songs in question, and reference music from Phantasy Star III:
Nostalgia in Solitude -PART 1- (http://synbios.net/misc/02-nostalgia_in_solitude_-part1-.mp3)
Nostalgia in Solitude -PART 2- (http://synbios.net/misc/03-nostalgia_in_solitude_-part2-.mp3)
PS3 Title Theme (http://synbios.net/misc/01.mp3)
Lashute (http://synbios.net/misc/25.mp3)
Dark Force (http://synbios.net/misc/26.mp3)

Should be no issue regarding legality of the above music since you can't purchase it, heh... so enjoy.

DarthMegatron
Aug 25, 2006, 09:46 AM
Hmm, that's interesting to know. You say the PSIII theme is used in Ep 4? In any event, I can't play it, and those links won't work for me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif I don't know if it has anything to do with me using Mozilla Firefox but all I see is a blank page with the URL. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthMegatron on 2006-08-25 07:46 ]</font>

Parn
Aug 25, 2006, 09:58 AM
Someone broke my site. Network Solutions is currently doing some maintenance on it at the moment. It'll be back up later.

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 11:08 AM
so that's the Return of Alis? good thing it didn't happen.

I personally love PSIV: End of the Millenium the way it is.

PSIVRoA sounds too ambitious to end up being as polished and solid like EotM turned out to be. even with FMV cutscenes and the like they were aiming to achieve with RoA.

the story would have greatly been different and probably no where near as good as how it turned out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

besides why would Alis return? why not everyone else in PSII and PSIII who sacrificed so much to protect all that is good?

Alis was in a Gaiden or Adventure game but I didn't play that beyond the start.
Besides her hair was purple in that game. PURPLE. and green eyes. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
How's that for staying true to her origins? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OnnaWren
Aug 25, 2006, 12:21 PM
Well, considering that she was supposedly a clone... go figure.

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 03:57 PM
a clone??? surely they could have come up with a better plot. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

DezoPenguin
Aug 25, 2006, 04:05 PM
On 2006-08-25 10:21, OnnaWren wrote:
Well, considering that she was supposedly a clone... go figure.

Wait...I thought Mina was the clone (that is, she was a clone of Alis, but the purple hair/green eyes Alis was the original)?

ShadowDragon28
Aug 25, 2006, 07:11 PM
Why is it that each classic Phantasy Star fan site's forums/MB's PS Cave, phantasy-star.net, and Myau of Algol's site forums; all of there forums are gone..what happened to them?

Sinue_v2
Aug 25, 2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah, Cloning.. what a silly idea to impliment into a Sci-Fi RPG huh? http://www.algol-star-system.net/mini-clon.gif

As for the various PS message boards - I couldn't tell you. I only lurked on most of them.

DezoPenguin
Aug 26, 2006, 07:39 AM
I couldn't tell you either, though it's amazing so many of them lasted as long as they did. I mean, the last release of a "classic," Algo-based PS game (not counting remakes) was 1994. Since PSO doesn't really connect with the previous PS games in terms of either story or gameplay, the fandom's don't precisely intersect.

Sad to see them go, though.

Saner
Aug 27, 2006, 12:08 PM
well cloning worked in PSII cause it was shop-based for revival circumstances, it wasn't like NeiFirst ended up being Nei's clone or vice versa, it was something better and original.

but I don't mind some cliches.

OnnaWren
Aug 28, 2006, 02:07 PM
Cloning worked in PSOIII as well, if only as a plot device... (*ahem* Kranz *ahem*)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2006-08-28 12:08 ]</font>

NeoZed
Sep 2, 2006, 06:37 PM
If you think alys should'nt die tell me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NeoZed on 2006-09-03 01:26 ]</font>

OnnaWren
Dec 16, 2006, 03:29 PM
Ressurecting and old thread...

I personally think that if the series continues to use the AW calendar, and it keeps marching on, then it is indeed still Phantasy Star. I think it's not so much about place anymore, than it is about the children of the Great Light (see also Palmans). Who says all the worldships clustered together when "some tens of ships" left the Algo solar system?

Back on-topic... who bought the Sega Genesis Collection for the PS2? Great to see PSIV again, bad to hear the crap sound emulation. Par for the course with Digital Eclipse, unfortunately.

Guess we can't have it all, eh?

(Is the PSP version any better?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2006-12-16 12:30 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Dec 19, 2006, 08:54 AM
Exactly. Human nature dictates that the people in charge of at least one worldship would be like... "WTF, screw you people, that group of stars over there looks better, we're going there, nyah, bye." (Incidentally, exactly such a thing is the only sort of PS-PSO linking attempt I'll grudgingly poke at as being possible - Ruins being one random worldship, Coral's people coming from another; we meet multiple Dark Force in PSIV so we already know that with Palma gone the PD can release more than one at a time, who's to say she didn't back then to give the escapees some fun?)

I got the collection. It's amusing because despite this being my third time over the first part of PSIV, some of these monsters I've never fought before since they made the ROM crash when I was trying to play it on an emulator. XD (Oh hey, when I get to La Shiec I can beat him without cheat codes and anal calculations of how much damage I'm pulling to him per turn, whee!) I haven't particularily noted the sound being bad, then again I'm mostly distracted by the spot on my TV that goes discoloured on and off and how much it's distorting things at the top of the picture. I notice it even with modern shiny games like PSU, but with the good old fashioned pixels of a 16-bit RPG... Ye gods. Stupid TV. DX

I've been poking at making a PS forum, but I've currently managed to break phpBB so I need to reinstall it, heh. There probably isn't a huge demand for such a thing anymore or someone would have already done it, I'm sure, but meh. (Not that I could advertise it here anyway, lol)

Semi-random question, Has anyone ever made a PS logo-style font? DX I'm terrible at trying to generate text pixel by pixel. (Or anything really, I did the sprites in my sig from scratch and they still turned out looking like FFVI sprites. One pixel too tall, tho. ...Lutz's arms are too low, need to fix that.)

Sinue_v2
Dec 19, 2006, 01:12 PM
I've been poking at making a PS forum, but I've currently managed to break phpBB so I need to reinstall it, heh. There probably isn't a huge demand for such a thing anymore or someone would have already done it, I'm sure, but meh.

Actually, I've considered putting up a BBS at the Wiki - but I've run into a few snags. I'll get it sorted out if people want one to discuss the older games as well the newer ones - but I haven't made much progress on the site at all lately due to the end-of-the-semester crunch. That should change shortly though.

I would need moderators anyhow... Celerathon has already stepped up and offered to help, but after a short stint as a mod over at PSX2Central I'd really rather not go back to THAT mess. But if you're interested, let me know. I'll see about working out the php5.0 conflicts phpBB has. Or just get another BB system alltogether.

Nai_Calus
Jan 3, 2007, 03:59 AM
I think a board there would be a good idea, this thread tends to get buried and people who would be reading the PS wiki would probably more likely be the type interested in discussing things. I'd be willing to help with it, 'twould save me the trouble of getting mine working again. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif (I was using it as a test board for a forum for something else that I run and broke it, whoops.)

It's weird not having a dedicated forum, tho. The PSDB and the pscave boards were fun when they were still around and a good place to ponder things around people who actually cared, lol.

Granted, I'm sure for the older fans it's been done to death, but for the newer ones like me who are used to being able to find a forum for *everything*, and possibly multiple ones, it's weird. XD;

Ryna
Feb 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
With the introduction of a full board, this thread has been obseleted.