PDA

View Full Version : Back in the day... Favorite Cartoons!

Sayara
Mar 16, 2006, 10:14 AM
Im talking about the classic classics. Not this Cow and Chicken, Ren and Stimpy stuff. I mean the Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Tex Avery!

What were your favorites back in the day?

Me? I am a sucker for Tex Avery cartoons, as well as Goofy or Donald Disney shorts. XD

ladyjaderiver
Mar 16, 2006, 10:21 AM
I never really cared for Loony Tunes or Tom and Jerry. *shrug*

The oldest shows I remember liking back-in-the-day were Thundarr the Barbarian, Galtar and the Golden Lance, G-Force, and the Pirates of Dark Water. Not sure if any of those actually count as "back-in-the-day" or not, though.

LSF
Mar 16, 2006, 10:23 AM
I loved Scooby-doo when I was a kid. Tom & Jerry too.

KodiaX987
Mar 16, 2006, 10:38 AM
THE SMURFS. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dhylec
Mar 16, 2006, 11:07 AM
Many.. I'll try to remeber some of them..
Tom & Jerry, Looney Toons, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Tails Spin, Darkwing Duck, The Tick, Freakazoid, Bobby's World, TMNT, The Mask, Eek the Cat,

Heh, updated as they are reminded ;]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2006-03-16 19:46 ]</font>

fumatanera
Mar 16, 2006, 11:19 AM
tom & jerry is classic, tex avery is insane sometimes.

MASK was awesome

Neith
Mar 16, 2006, 11:28 AM
Tom and Jerry
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
X-Men
Count Duckula <3
Looney Tunes

I was a MASSIVE fan of Wile E. Coyote back in the day XD
ACME ftw.

Those were the main ones, I can't remember a lot really http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Dhylec
Mar 16, 2006, 11:42 AM
UrikoBB3 wrote:

Heh, I forget this one.
Oh, don't you mean 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'?

ladyjaderiver
Mar 16, 2006, 11:44 AM
On 2006-03-16 08:07, Dhylec wrote:
Many.. I'll try to remeber some of them..
Tom & Jerry, Looney Toons, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Tails Spin, Darkwing Duck, The Tick, Freakazoid, Bobby's World,

O.o How did I forget Freakazoid? That show is golden.

Neith
Mar 16, 2006, 11:46 AM
In the UK, it was called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, though I think it was renamed recently to Ninja Turtles.

From Wikipedia:

'Censorship and Hero Turtles'

Upon TMNT's first arrival in the United Kingdom, the name was changed to "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" (or TMHT, for short), since local censorship policies deemed the word ninja to have excessively violent connotations for a children's program. Consequently, everything related to the Turtles had to be renamed before being released in the UK. The lyrics were also changed, such as changing "Splinter taught them to be ninja teens" to "Splinter taught them to be fighting teens."

The policies also had other effects, such as removing Michelangelo's nunchakus (which are banned from appearing in even 18-rated movies) and generally toning down the usage of all the turtles' weapons. After many seasons of never using his nunchakus, they eventually disappeared entirely, replaced by a rope with a shell on the end that held small hooks.

By the time of the 2003 TV series, these censorship policies had been abolished, and no changes have occurred in the content of the show. The name "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" remained unchanged for the 2003 show. As a result, in the U.K., the 1987 show is still called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and the 2003 show is called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'

PJ
Mar 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
On 2006-03-16 08:42, Dhylec wrote:

UrikoBB3 wrote:

Heh, I forget this one.
Oh, don't you mean 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'?

I believe in Europe they changed the name. They even removed Mikey's Nun-chuck's (sp?) I... think. Not sure. Uriko can correct me if I'm wrong http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

The only show I can think of is the SatAM Sonic show !

EDIT: Uriko beat me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-03-16 08:48 ]</font>

AC9breaker
Mar 16, 2006, 01:07 PM
Ghost Busters
Voltron
Transformers
Mummies Alive
Technoman
Ronin Warriors
Adventures of David the Gnome
Muppet Babies
Rocko's Modern Life
Carebears
Eurika's Castle (Not a cartoon but who cares.)

Forgot to add Conan The Adventurer and Heman

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AC9breaker on 2006-03-16 10:11 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Mar 16, 2006, 02:11 PM
There's a lot, and I know I'm forgetting alot - but I just woke up. The only favorites I can remember right now is Transformers, Go-Bots, Dungeons & Dragons, The Real GhostBusters, ThunderCats, G.I. Joe, Pirates of Dark Water, Saber Rider & The Star Sheriffs, and ExoSquad - though Exo was probably too new.

I used to watch a lot of the old Looney Toons and such cartoons which were made well before I was born - but I've never really been a big fan of WB, Tex Avery, or Disney in general. I just watched them because they were cartoons.

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 16, 2006, 02:41 PM
Captain N The Game Master
Garfield and friends
Freakazoid
Earthworm Jim
Robotech

KaFKa
Mar 16, 2006, 03:36 PM
The Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon shorts.

win.

washuguy
Mar 16, 2006, 04:34 PM
Thunder cats! Yeah boy!!!

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 16, 2006, 07:05 PM
Nobody said The Jetsons or the Flintstones?

You guys are monsters. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And I agree with a lot of those already listed.

X-Men
TMNT
Garfield and Friends
etc.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 16, 2006, 07:32 PM
Transformers, pure and simple. Introduced me to my love of mechs and that is still with me to this day. As i type this a shelf full of classic TF toys stares down at me, and to my left is some of the newer figures. Also have some of the DVD boxsets of the original show and the unreleased Japanese shows.

Other favourite cartoon has to be Tom and Jerry. When I was younger, me and my older brother had a Tom and Jerry VHS each, and we watched those tapes so much. Was so upset when my tape wore out completely.

Oh, and Roadrunner cartoons, only for the coyote. Have that guy on my keyring right now.

Alucard_Zer0
Mar 16, 2006, 07:35 PM
Samurai Pizza Cats.
Ren and Stimpy
Techno Man
Muppet Babies
Simpsons (cant forget that)
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

Neith
Mar 16, 2006, 07:41 PM
Haha, I totally forgot The Jetsons and Samurai Pizza Cats http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif (The name of the last one rung a bell, so searched for it, and started to remember it XD )

I did watch the Flintstones a bit, but didn't really like it.

This is a little newer, but Biker Mice from Mars- This was around when my little bro watched cartoons http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Dek
Mar 16, 2006, 08:30 PM
On 2006-03-16 12:36, KaFKa wrote:
The Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon shorts.

win.

more like "Flawless Victory" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Anyways, my favorite cartoons had to be...

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Mobile Suit Gundam (original ftw)
-Super Mario Bros. Super Show (had both cartoon and RL segments).
-Freakazoid
-Darkwing Duck
-Mighty Max(?) (Can't remember if that was the name, but I know they were based off a series of figurines that were shaped like a monster's head, then opened up the monster's respective area)
-The US version of Mega Man (obviously, the other versions were better http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )
-Nightstalkers

Dreadlock
Mar 16, 2006, 09:31 PM
How dare the post starter deny the putrid greatness that is Ren and Stimpy. As for my favs:

Felix the Cat
Rocko's Modern Life
Ahh Monsters!
Anything with Yogi and Boo-Boo
Atom Ant

Ah, the joys of childhood.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 16, 2006, 10:11 PM
o wow...... back in the day... all them oldies.
I loved Rescue Rangers... that was a goodie.
Another great one would have to be Road Runner shorts.
The best oldie was Pop-eye.

Kratos123
Mar 16, 2006, 10:23 PM
Rescue Rangers
Sonic The Hedgehog
TMNT
Gundam Waltz Special Thing
Pop-Eye
Simpsons!!!
Coyote and Road Runner
Original Pokemon!!!(funny)

RicoRoyal
Mar 16, 2006, 10:35 PM
Rocko's Modern Life, Eek! the Cat and Freakazoid! have burrowed themselves permanently into me noggin'.

Just about all of what Dhylec listed were also regulars on my T.V. screen.

Not sure if those are what you meant by "classic", Tingle, so lets just got with Looney Toons. I can watch that stuff for hours without ever wanting to change the channel.

Outrider
Mar 17, 2006, 12:33 AM
On 2006-03-16 08:46, UrikoBB3 wrote:
After many seasons of never using his nunchakus, they eventually disappeared entirely, replaced by a rope with a shell on the end that held small hooks.

So THAT'S why that happened. I always wondered why later on in the show Mikey ditched his real weapons for one of the generic turtle grappling hooks.

Curse you Europeans causing changes in our American shows! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Tex Avery certainly was an animation king.

But, uh... I have to admit that I've always had a large place in my heart for A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

Nidarrock
Mar 17, 2006, 12:45 AM
From early childhood(the classics):

Tom & Jerry
Road Runner/Coyote
He-Man
Transformers
Go-Bots(that one was bad)
Voltron

Then later(you know early high school, ect...):

Exo-Squad
Gargoyles
Earthworm Jim
Animainiacs
Duck Tales(only because it was on before Gargoyles)

Alucard_Zer0
Mar 17, 2006, 02:11 PM
On 2006-03-16 17:30, Arthas_Zero wrote:
[quote]

Anyways, my favorite cartoons had to be...

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Mobile Suit Gundam (original ftw)
-Super Mario Bros. Super Show (had both cartoon and RL segments).
-Freakazoid
-Darkwing Duck
-Mighty Max(?) (Can't remember if that was the name, but I know they were based off a series of figurines that were shaped like a monster's head, then opened up the monster's respective area)
-The US version of Mega Man (obviously, the other versions were better http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )
-Nightstalkers

actually in america it was called "DarkStalkers" and yeah megaman was pretty good. there was one more i cant remember the name of it. they had you use 3d glasses during the fight scene's and the vehicles turned into robots. god this is gonna bother me now. also it was "Mighty Max" so you are correct sir.

SabZero
Mar 17, 2006, 02:18 PM
In no particlar order:

- Tom and Jerry (not the ones with the stupid guy in it though)
- Danger Mouse
- Captain Future
- The Millenia Queen

And more grownup: Liquid television (although, is that too modern? anyhow, can't get it anymore, can I?)

BogusKun
Mar 17, 2006, 03:10 PM
Ninja Turtles and the sentai Dinosaur Task Force Zyuranger//Dinosaur Battle Team Beast Ranger (Kyôryū Sentai Juurenjaa) (most known as the original POWER RANGERS)... dunno if that counts as a cartoon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BogusKun on 2006-03-17 12:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BogusKun on 2006-03-17 12:18 ]</font>

GreenArcher
Mar 17, 2006, 03:21 PM
Oh dear lord.
After reading through this, I digged up some old VHS and got some intresting stuff...

I just watched VHS tapes of:
- Biker Mice from Mars
- Megaman
- Crash Dummies
- Super Mario Bros.

And touchee to those who mentioned Pirates of Dark Water, I worshipped that show.

Kizaragu
Mar 17, 2006, 03:37 PM
On 2006-03-17 12:21, Green_Archer3 wrote:
Super Mario Bros.
We got them in today at work. I grabbed them before my boss could draw breath!

My life as a wee man involved watching these highlights:

Tennage Mutant Hero Turtles.
My mum still embaresses me to this day about tales of me breaking into tears when I got the action figures for Christmas as a kid. Raphael all the way baby!

Ghostbusters.
I still play the theme at work. I just found my old Peter Venkman figure too!

He-Man
"By the power of greyskull, I have the power!"

I also watched Thundercats and Transformers. Just didn't watch them as religiousely. I'm sure there's more. My brain's just not working at the moment.

DevinTre
Mar 17, 2006, 08:10 PM
Oh wow, old school 'toons ... too many, but I'll try to list. @_@

~Danger Mouse
~Count Duckula
~Transformers
~He-man
~Rocko's Modern Life
~Project GeeKeR
~Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles (yeah, lots of others have named it, too, but Donatello was and STILL is my fave n.n)
~The Little Prince (not many people I talk to remember it, but it was an old dubbed anime on Nickelodeon when I was about 5 (I'm almost 25 now, lol)

As for Looney Toons, my favorite episode was the one with the hillbilly birds (one was called Elvey who called the other one, his dad, Pappy) and Bugs Bunny. Everytime one of them counted to or said "four" or something like it, Elvey ended up shooting Pappy in the face. Heheh. XD

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 17, 2006, 08:47 PM
On 2006-03-16 21:33, Outrider wrote:
But, uh... I have to admit that I've always had a large place in my heart for A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

RED HERRING!

Hey, it wasn't me!

Awesome scapegoating by Fred, in every show. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AzureBlaze
Mar 18, 2006, 01:55 AM
I liked a lot of these same shows too...
But I have a problem with quite a few of them. This problem is called "WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!"

Exo-Squad...Loved it. Closest thing to American Anime in that day. everyone knows this sucker never ended. They got to like season a billion with dinosaur crab men from mars and melting plasma phaeton...and then what? It quit.

Mighty Max- YES this show was leaps ahead of its time. Ok arayan race kid/capbearer theme is like whatever but his plots were actually really great and involved real danger. Skullmaster wanted to kill the dude, not like 'um lock him up' or something, and it showed. It dealt with death like anime and had real morals. You actually cared about Max, and even a bit his mom, which was odd. I've got the entire thing on tape but the ending...

spoiler

space

is an infinite time loop cop out.

Project GeekR- tyranosaurus teams up with blonde cyborg woman who is balding and a shape shifting nerd. ROCK ON or um something. Again, I don't think this actually had any sort of finale. What was he actually ever going to do ?

Thundercats- They had an awesome opening that was revolutionary in explaining how they got there, and tieing stuff together. Also what happened to Thunderra? Mumm-Ra? Did he ever really lose? (Best thing: voice clip outtake where lion o swears off snarf)

Technoman (tekkaman blade?) was one of the first animes over here, wasn't it? Along with sailor moon. Does it end? The one thing about anime is that if they're gonna end a series, they actually make a 'last ep' that makes sense.

I would mention all versions of Sonic, but I actively hated on SatAm Sonic, which will start a flame war if I am not cautious.

Didn't TMNT get real strange in the end where they were running out of plots? And every time they say they're going to do a 'darker turtles' it never ends up happening.

What HAPPENED to he-man and she-ra? They re-show the other shows from that era, like scooby and all a billion times a day...Are the originals such cheez that they couldn't possibly air? I don't remember...(Also: watch VH1 I love toys show, it's got ALL thees guys and more.)

Nostalgia...it's a good thing. Sometimes.

DizzyDi
Mar 18, 2006, 04:42 PM
I share a lot of the same faves as most of the folks here.

But has anyone mentioned Beast Wars? What about Reboot? They're not hand-drawn but they're cartoons nonetheless dammit!

AxelgearVII
Mar 18, 2006, 05:15 PM
Swatkats <3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Where are you now T-bone and Razor?

Oh, I also didnt see G-force mentioned anywhere.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AxelgearVIII on 2006-03-18 14:17 ]</font>

ladyjaderiver
Mar 18, 2006, 08:05 PM
On 2006-03-18 14:15, AxelgearVIII wrote:
Swatkats <3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Where are you now T-bone and Razor?

Oh, I also didnt see G-force mentioned anywhere.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AxelgearVIII on 2006-03-18 14:17 ]</font>

I used to love Swatkats, too. ^_^

>.> And G-Force PWNS. I'm still trying to save up enough to buy that. At least I lucked out with Pirates of Dark Water, and my mom taped the entire series when Cartoon Network ran it as a marathon, so I still have every episode.

OnnaWren
Mar 20, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yay, all you Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman fans! XD

And yay, ADV for releasing uncut DVD box sets! Let's hope you finally release the whole first series in the USA! It's about time...

BIRD, GO!

SabZero
Mar 21, 2006, 08:38 AM
Oh, man, I forgot Wickie and the strong men?) - the little Viking boys adventires. I used to watch that all the time.

Also, Die Biene Maya (Maya, the bee).

Although I don't really like them now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif