PDA

View Full Version : Question!

Zelutos
Mar 17, 2006, 01:28 AM
So i bought Guild Wars today..but while installing, it said my Video Driver wasn't supported. Does this mean i can't play the game..or it won't look as good? Or what? I mean, it's on a laptop, so i doubt i can upgrade the video card. Is there something i can do?

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 17, 2006, 02:06 AM
Run the game and see what happens. Either it'll work, or it won't. Just because a video chipset isn't explicitly supported, doesn't mean that the game won't work at all. It only means that the designers didn't have that chipset in mind when the game was made.

Zelutos
Mar 17, 2006, 02:12 AM
If i want to run it, i'll need to put in the PIN number..and if i want the pin number, i have to scratch it off this card..and if i scratch it off and it doesn't work, then i can't return it =.=

Do you see my dilemma? ;.;

ABDUR101
Mar 17, 2006, 02:19 AM
You better check the return policy anyway. All of the local retailers never allow you to return PC games for a refund, only an exchange.

Zelutos
Mar 17, 2006, 02:27 AM
On 2006-03-16 23:19, ABDUR101 wrote:
You better check the return policy anyway. All of the local retailers never allow you to return PC games for a refund, only an exchange.

Well on the little card that has the pin, it tells me that if any part of the silver stuff covering the pin number is tampered with[lists a bunch of things that could happen], that it would be void and uneligable for return. I really don't want to scratch it off unless i know it'll work.

On the screen it asks for the User info, or to make an accunt, the background seems to be that of a game [a full 3D environment of plains and a cliff or two] is constantly panning around, and looks really nice. Could that be an indication that it would work?

Tomeeboy
Mar 17, 2006, 03:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that the background that loads up during the login process is rendered using the in-game engine. If it's rendering for you and there are no obvious problems, then the rest of the game should work (though the framerate could be considerably less in areas).

What kind of graphics card do you have anyway?

Maridia
Mar 17, 2006, 06:26 PM
Zel, I got that exact same thing when I installed GW. I panicked for a second, but it works fine. Can your laptop support Blueburst? If it can, Guild wars should work fine. Mine does!

And also, ingame, there's the option to adjust your graphics so you can play with them until they look alright. Good luck.

Zelutos
Mar 17, 2006, 06:32 PM
On 2006-03-17 15:26, Maridia wrote:
Zel, I got that exact same thing when I installed GW. I panicked for a second, but it works fine. Can your laptop support Blueburst? If it can, Guild wars should work fine. Mine does!

And also, ingame, there's the option to adjust your graphics so you can play with them until they look alright. Good luck.

Well it does work. I scratched the stuff off and made a character...then ran out of virtual memory ;.;

Maridia
Mar 17, 2006, 07:01 PM
Is that something that's going to happen often? Or had you simply been doing too much prior to that?

VioletSkye
Mar 17, 2006, 08:20 PM
Reboot and try it again, if you get the same error, then we can look at your virtual memory settings. It can also be caused when you don't have alot of room left on your harddrive and Windows doesn't see enough space to allocate to virtual memory (even though it won't actually be used.) There could also be issues with the drivers for your IDE harddisk. In one of your PM's you mentioned that you weren't able to boot normally and that after applying the registry fixes you were finally able to boot into normal mode. However, the error referenced an unknown device driver. I suspect that you may have had quite a few corrupted device driver files (including the video driver which we already fixed.) The unknown device driver error (most likely the IDE) seems likely to be a root cause of your virtual memory problems.

If after you reboot and everything works great, then chances are it was an isolated incident. Play for awhile then reboot and try playing for awhile again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-03-17 19:06 ]</font>