PDA

View Full Version : PSU Offline But Online...

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 17, 2006, 10:36 AM
Having had time to digest the new information posted here about the PC version of PSU, my mind is still working overtime. I still can't work out whether it is indeed a good/bad thing to be required to have an active internet connection just to play this game OFFLINE - here are some of my thoughts:

Positives

There are two types of people who play PSO/PSU:

Type 'A' - those who can't afford to pay for the hunters license or typically prefer to play alone.

Type 'B' - those who have enough money to pay for the hunters license and enjoy playing with other people.

In the past, type 'A' players have been basically screwed - you could play offline, but there were no additional quests, seasonal levels/enemies, and a whole lot of stuff either could not be obtained or used other than during online mode.

I thought that when you pay for the hunters license it was for the privilege of joining the PSO community and playing together, not to let you access stuff that ought to be available offline - Gallon's Shop/Nights GBA Game I'm looking at you!

PSU may actually rectify this! Obviously if the game has to be connected to the ST servers at all times during play then I can't see why there can't be actually updates for the offline mode. Maybe offline mode will have seasonal Rappies and all the other goodies that previously only possible for online gamers to access. This is a definite plus!

If Sonic Team ever decide to 'expand' the game and include new areas (such as episode 2&4 of PSO) then offline gamers could also maybe access those too - it's already known that the PS2 version will be patchable (patches stored to memory card) so anything's possible I guess http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

These are VERY GOOD positives, now lets look at the

Negatives

I'm assuming that one of the reasons for this constant connection to the server is to reduce piracy and cheating - however I actually believe that it'll inadvertantly PROMOTE it. If, basically, all the game files are intact on the disk - enough to play it - but ST has used code in the EXE file to connect to the server etc, then there's bound to be MORE of a demand for cracked/patched EXE files for this game than most others. If a hacker can patch the EXE and remove the server connection issues then it would be theoretically possible for a person without an internet connection to play the game.

This may be construed as 'legitimate' hacking, and before you know it people start thinking it's OK to pass hacked EXE files around the net - and they might not be all hacked in the same way for the same purpose http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Secondly, I'm sure all players of PSOBB have noticed that that game has certain issues at times (such as lag etc). It's not always a problem because the PSOBB server really hasn't been anywhere near full for a long time. There's a Korean online MMORPG that's recently come out that I stopped playing because it became literally impossible to connect 99.9% of the time. We really don't know how the user base of PSU is gonna impact the online servers since we've never had anything like it before:

My guess it that with PSO, half to 2 thirds of players played strictly offline. How many there were exactly, their ratio to online players and how many played AT ANY ONE TIME we'll never know for certain - since they simply didn't exist as far as online gamers were concerned - no impact whatsoever. The lag in PSO came from the online gamers alone.

I'm guessing that there will be many times more people playing online with PSU than PSO, and the lag issue will be harder to control (more people in games,lobbies etc) but SEGA probably has much better servers capable of dealing with much greater demand.

However we have to apply the offline player factor to this. Even if there's a 1-1 ratio of offline/online players, that's DOUBLE the people connected to the server at once, inadvertantly slowing things down for everyone else.

Imagine not being able to play OFFLINE mode because the online servers are full, even worse - imagine paying for a hunters licence for online play and never being able to connect because the server's already full (of OFFLINE players)!

Yet another problem concerns game longevity - mandatory connection to online servers effectively time-limits even offline mode. Put it this way, I spend a couple of hundred hours building a character in Gamecube PSO offline. I'd be well annoyed if a Sega rep knocked on my door, destroyed my disk and wiped my memory card - yet this seems like it's inevitably gonna happen when the PSU SEGA servers shut down http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

People who have a Dreamcast and the original PSO probably still like to pop the game in and mess about with their now strong characters, or maybe build new ones. PSU, 10 years from now will only be useful as a coaster http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

To me that's like Microsoft visiting the house of a poor kid, stealing his Megadrive, forcing him to stop playing Sonic 2 and making him buy something newer!

The final problem I'm concerned with is security. In previous versions of PSO, offline security was never needed. You were given a product key in the box but you didn't need to use it unless you planned to go online - not anymore http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Since you'll obviously need a product key to even access OFFLINE mode, there will probably be determined hackers who having had their own product key banned from the game will likely to try to harvest keys from other users. People who don't play online games and plan to play PSU in offline mode only probably won't be too concerned about security, but a hacker gets in, steals your product key, reaks havoc in your name, and when you find yourself ready and able for online play you find you're already banned!

Maybe even someone could 'take over' the product key of another user, and an offliner might find he doesn't have access to his game and characters anymore http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

--

I'm really sorry for the essay but these are just a few thoughts. I'd like to hear if any of you have any thoughts, ideas or facts about what I've mentioned - particularly I'd like to put my mind at rest over the 'negatives' I stated.

Thanks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sev
Mar 17, 2006, 08:51 PM
In response to your comments, this is what I've come up with. Don't mind me, I'm not all there and I am posting from work after all. Just had comments about some of the things mention.

Positives

Both Type 'A' and Type 'B' scenarios will exist here... As well as Europe... And as well as in Japan. If you think about it, although more people in Japan have the option of broadband, that doesn't completely mean they can all afford it. Everyone would be affected by the inability to be constantly connected to the server.

To me, this does not seem to be as big of an issue as it seems. The majority of offline gamers, will probably have a PS2. Of course this is just an assumption. From what I see however, the majority of people who play PC games generally have a good online connection. This is general of course, it does not cater to the minority. Sorry guys.

For offline Type 'A' players in PSO... Basically... As someone who paid to play online I would be a bit miffed if the only thing that came out of it was "Community" as some of them were simply out to ruin others experiences. Of course, just being online in itself gave me some great experiences. At the same time though, the updates in quests basically came with the fee. It's not hard too hard to deal with that part.

It does seem like that may be the intent of PSU. To provide all users with content. But will it require constant connection for PS2 as well? If not, then those players seem to get shafted correct?

And I think it'd be awhile before an episode 2 like update would be in the works. I wouldn't know though, I can't read minds or the future. We'll just have to see how they handle it.

Negatives

They don't really need to do this to inadvertantly. Either way, people will try to pirate the game, and people will try to hack the game. Anytime their is an Online title, people pride themselves on breaking it down and having their way with it. Whether or not it was constantly connected their would still be hacks. And also, as far as I've seen this only applies to the PC version. At least as far as I've read.

Altering the game in anyway can't really be justified. They're aware of that. You can't take someones copyrighted work and have you're way with it and think it's ok. Hacking the game in anyway, isn't right. It was created the way it was for a reason, and basically by doing that... It's like saying "If you don't like it, deal with it." or something like that. I'm sure if enough people complain, they'll address it. But you can't be certain.

Basically you addressed this issue yourself about lag and such. They'll probably have good servers. Also keep in mind that they have a bit of experience behind them due to previous installments of the game. You have to remember that so far this is only known for PC right? So until they make it more well known, we're not sure how it will function. I'd doubt they'd do this witout a solution in mind, because they understand people would be upset about not being able to access the game.

Yet another problem concerns game longevity - mandatory connection to online servers effectively time-limits even offline mode. Put it this way, I spend a couple of hundred hours building a character in Gamecube PSO offline. I'd be well annoyed if a Sega rep knocked on my door, destroyed my disk and wiped my memory card - yet this seems like it's inevitably gonna happen when the PSU SEGA servers shut down http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Longevity... It wouldn't be the first time a games come and gone. There's no solid agreement that it will go, and your game will be useless. That's looking a long ways into the future so far, we'll see how they address it further down the road.

The offline security issue... Well... That's a bit out there too me. Seems like alotta effort. of course, this wouldn't be the first time someone has gone through great lengths to ruin someone elses experience. Let's give it up for jerks eh?

VioletSkye
Mar 17, 2006, 09:01 PM
Consider the fact that there may not be a true "offline" mode at all. Playing as Ethan in Story Mode (or a character you create in Extra Mode) is simply a singleplayer game (as far as we know.) Single player and offline aren't necessarily synonymous. The Story Mode may well be set up to store your character information on Sega's servers. PSOBB has the same thing wherein you log on and then have the option of playing through single player. I'm not at home atm, but I do remember seeing something in EGM in reference to Sega commenting on the fact that many, many PSO players never played the game online (as you already alluded to) and that PSU would have enough "offline" content to help make up for that however.

A2K
Mar 18, 2006, 03:35 AM
Given that it isn't a requirement for the PS2 version, I don't think your Story and Extra Mode data for the PC client will be stored on Sega's servers. This seems to mainly be a security measure.

It's possible your online characters will be attached to a Play Sega account (like PSOBB) and not necessarily be attached at all to your product key. Or... not. Who knows? It's all speculation at this point. Although it's safe to say if they intend to sell the game at retail it will require a CD key. It's the little mechanisms... hmm.

There is a possibility at the end of PSU's life cycle that they would release a patch effectively "releasing" the game for free Story/Extra Mode play. This unfortunately, still puts us under the whims of ST.

Although, if you truly want to avoid that whole hassle, the PS2 version (and perhaps any other console versions that pop up) seems the best way to go.