PDA

View Full Version : PSO Desktop

PJ
Mar 19, 2006, 05:45 PM
Alright, so my 2 latest desktops have been PSO-related desktops I made using my own snapshots, and I've already shown the first one (Just not in fan works), I'm gonna post the first and second one.

PSO Episode 1-16 (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29504719/)

That's the desktop showing all my PSO characters, obviously.

PSO Desert Heroes - Meteor Rush! (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30596628/)

Ok, this is the main part of the post. I would like some critique on my newest desktop. Use of space, colour, just how it all works together. The disorganized look is on purpose. Whenever I look at it, I like it, but it just feels weird. My other desktop I never felt so funny to look at XD I dunno, maybe I shouldave just kept with either all big snaps or all small snaps. Ideas?

I don't want critique on the first posted desktop, I'm too in love with that one.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 19, 2006, 05:58 PM
The right side of the collage seems squished to me. I think it's because there are only small pics there, maybe throwing the balance off.

...I think the pic of the sunset/humar with shield would make a sweet stand-alone desktop.

PJ
Mar 19, 2006, 06:03 PM
The small pictures on the side are supposed to be like the bottom of my first desktop, where it shows all 16 cahracters (Only this time, it's 4). I guess I could change that to be only the 4 characters, and not have those extra pics at the top. But I get what you're saying.

CupOfCoffee
Mar 19, 2006, 06:24 PM
Something of a ditto on what Jehosaphaty said. The reason it might look somewhat awkward to you is that it's unbalanced. It's not only much busier on the right side than the left (the small pictures), but the fact that most of the darker pictures are towards the top gives that portion of the composition a lot more weight than the bottom and other side. Of course since you're dealing with screenshots, there's only so much you can do as far as a color scheme goes without giving everything a serious Photoshopping, but there's a bit of arranging that could be done to even out the dark and light tones a little more.

Also, I think it would benefit more from some blended edges, or including just portions of the captures instead of the entire, square-shaped shots. One image could be dominant while others sit atop it and create a sort of new composition out of the old screenshots. Experiment with blending modes and stuff to create interesting effects, too.

PJ
Mar 19, 2006, 08:47 PM
I make these desktops using only good ol' fashioned paint, so until I get a program to do some snazzy effects, it won't get very fancy.

I did change the desktop, to make the far right side look less messy.

EDIT: In the course of this thread, if I make changes that aren't very good, tell me XD

Also, I'm artistically retarded, so me, "Balancing/Contrasting" colours and stuff; I understand what it means, but I wouldn't be able to put it into practice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-03-19 17:49 ]</font>