PDA

View Full Version : Ace Combat

Ketchup345
Mar 21, 2006, 09:13 PM
Anyone else here play the Ace Combat games? These have been my newest unhealthy game addiction (keeping me away from DDR).

I only have 4 and 5 and the demo of 2. I've beaten 4 and 5 at least once.

Dangerous55
Mar 22, 2006, 01:16 AM
They are good, I beat the first one for PS2 a few times, number 4 right? I bought 5 when it came out and never beat it, and sold both. Wish I didnt...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Fun gamage though to the max.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 22, 2006, 04:06 AM
Ive been playing Ace Combat: Squadron Leader for sometime now. Such an atmospherically fun game, it just seems to suck you in! I dont know how many times ive had chills run up my spine as I race to the next objective,hoping to get their in time. One of the highlights at to be the level with the EMP bombs. Watching everyone suddenly rocket into the clouds is great. You know that you canmake it yourself, but they are still grit your teeth moments.

Ketchup345
Mar 22, 2006, 08:16 AM
Dangerous55: Yes, 4 (Shattered Skies {US title}) was the first for the PS2. I played that one to the point where I bought all 3 color schemes of every plane.

Deathscythealpha: Squadron Leader is the 5th, and for some reason they changed titles between the US and PAL versions (US title is The Unsung War).
The EMP bombs, you mean the burst missiles that require you to get above a certain altitude? This was odd to me the first time, as getting above 5000 feet isn't that hard in comparison to Ace Combat 4 when in certain missions you had to fly ncredibly low, often into a canyon or something to avoid the enemy's superweapon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2006-03-22 05:21 ]</font>

Jive18
Mar 22, 2006, 11:44 AM
On 2006-03-21 18:13, Ketchup345 wrote:
Anyone else here play the Ace Combat games? These have been my newest unhealthy game addiction (keeping me away from DDR).

Ketchup, put down Ace, go play DDR http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif!

On topic, I don't own any of the games in the series, but I have played one of them at my friend's house. It was a ton of fun, and if I had the funding (as usual) I'd probably own one by now. Air combat is terribly exciting.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 22, 2006, 02:03 PM
On 2006-03-22 05:16, Ketchup345 wrote:

Deathscythealpha: Squadron Leader is the 5th, and for some reason they changed titles between the US and PAL versions (US title is The Unsung War).
The EMP bombs, you mean the burst missiles that require you to get above a certain altitude? This was odd to me the first time, as getting above 5000 feet isn't that hard in comparison to Ace Combat 4 when in certain missions you had to fly incredibly low, often into a canyon or something to avoid the enemy's superweapon.

Ah, didnt realise there had been a name change there. Unsung War sounds slightly better, more cinematic.

Couldnt remember the name of the burst missiles, they seemed to work like EMP Bombs from films/anime. I think they worked for me as there was the whole rush to get top that height then as soon as it had finished dive straight back down. Nice and fast, gets the pulse racing everytime.

Allos
Mar 22, 2006, 04:34 PM
If 4 was online.... *salivates*

Yeah, I've logged in roughly 75 hours into number 4.

Ketchup345
Mar 27, 2006, 06:54 PM
Apparently number 4 was called "Distant Thunder" for the PAL, and "Shattered Skies" for the US.

What are your favorite planes?
My favorite is the F/A-22 for decent special weapons (XMAAs and PGBs in 4, XMAAs in 5), and a great cockpit view.

Ace Combat Zero (prequil to 5) comes out soon (next month?), but still no online. It seems to be much more interesting, as your style/performance has different outcomes for you.
At release it is supposed to be only $40 US.

Hopefully any future ACs will have online (PS3 is supposed to have a free online managed by Sony, so I don't see why they wouldn't add this in).