PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a devocalizing program

Syl
Mar 22, 2006, 08:26 PM
Is there such a program that lets you mute or take out the vocals of a song? If, so please help me out.

Thank you for allowing me to waste your time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

Jehosaphaty
Mar 22, 2006, 08:43 PM
I have a program on my computer called Audacity that works something like that. Not the best of its kind, but it's free. Try googling it, or your subject matter.

Ketchup345
Mar 22, 2006, 09:50 PM
A link to Audacity can be found here (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=106971&forum=9&36), but I am unsure if it can take out the vocals of a track (my brother who uses it often says it can't).

astuarlen
Mar 22, 2006, 10:29 PM
You may or may not be able to remove the vocals (imperfectly) with Audacity. There are a few factors:

-The audio file you begin with must be stereo, not mono.
-The "location" of the vocals when recording the track. I don't remember exactly how to describe this technically, but in order to remove vocals effectively they need to be centered--that is, incorporated into both the left and right channels equally. This is necessary because of the technique used to remove vocals.
-The quality of the digital media file. You'll likely have better results with a less compressed, higher quality file.

Here's how you do it:
1. Separate the left and right channels of a stereo track: select the track and "Split Stereo Track" (this should be found in a drop-down menu you access by clicking the track title [it has a filled in arrow pointing down on the right side]).
2. Invert one channel: Select the right or left channel and go to "Effect" > "Invert".
3. Cancel the vocals by merging the channels: Using the same drop-down menu in step 1, select "Mono" for both the left and right channels. Then, select both tracks and go to "Project" > "Quick Mix".

If you're lucky, when you play the resulting track most of the vocals will be eliminated. Sometimes the result is just plain disastrous, however. You might also need to do further tweaking with filters, tweaking the bass-treble balance, etc. Honestly, I don't know very much about audio editing, but what I do know I learned from the interweb. There are tutorials out there for this kind of thing, but keep in mind that there is really no perfect way to cut the vocals out of an .mp3 or the like.
Good luck!

Syl
Mar 24, 2006, 11:26 PM
Ok, I got that and stuff, but I want to export it as an mp3, and I can't find the stupid lame_enc.dll (I only have lame_enc.ini) So, help me out again...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WatchThemFeed on 2006-03-24 20:26 ]</font>