PDA

View Full Version : Oh god ACT

Jive18
Mar 22, 2006, 10:36 PM
To anyone who's taken the ACT before -

When did you start preparing/studying for it? I don't need any tips with what to study, etc., because I've already gathered all the material to review for it. I'm just wondering when a good time would be to start looking over everything. I don't want to be unprepared and cram too much, yet I'd also hate to study too early and forget bits.

Oh almost forgot, my school is taking the test April 26/27 I think; that info probably helps.

Blitzkommando
Mar 22, 2006, 10:48 PM
I didn't study for it. Then again, I rarely, if ever study.

Just don't get so flustered over it. Standardized tests like SAT and ACT, based on when I took them, are just basic levels for what would be needed to graduate. If you need to study don't try to cram it all. Try to be relaxed as you will retain the information better. Don't spend too long studying at one time, it will burn you out and you will do more harm than good. Pace yourself and most of all, pay attention in class. The tests aren't there to fail your entry to college, they are there to estimate just how much you learned and how well you can apply it. The worst thing you can do is cram too much at once, so pace yourself before possibly a couple weeks at most.

CupOfCoffee
Mar 22, 2006, 11:01 PM
I didn't study either and got a fairly decent score of 27. I will echo what the guy above me said; most of the questions are very basic. I had to guess on a lot of the science ones because I opted to take Bio II instead of Chemistry I (I hate chemistry, uck), but that was really my only setback. The rest I just kind of lazily plodded through and still got finished before most everyone else.

If you really want to study, I suggest only spending time going over the things you never really grasped in the first place. As long as you could basically tell what you were looking at as far as math, science, and reading go, you'll do just fine. And even if you don't, meh. Retake it for $35 later once you know what to expect.

InfinityXXX
Mar 22, 2006, 11:25 PM
Heh,Heh I'm taking mines april (16th or 6th, I need to look at my paper). I need to get my ass up and study too.

I think a good time to study, for you would be...now. It doesn't hurt to study? But I kind of believe that I can do ok(not the best I could do) w/o studying as long as I just eat before I take it and pace myself but I'm gonna study for it.(someday)

I got the ACT for dummies book so I hope it helps me out. Good Luck on your ACT Jive.

Hrigg
Mar 23, 2006, 12:00 AM
I didn't study last year while I was in 7th grade and I got a 22 on it. You can't really study for it.

astuarlen
Mar 23, 2006, 12:42 AM
Woah there buddy, don't stress about it! As others have mentioned, there truly isn't a way to study as you might for, say, a history test. The SAT and ACT don't demand that you know anything beyond what you should be learning in a standard--I would argue substandard, but that's not the issue here--curriculum. Basic math, the "rules" of english grammar/usage/etc, vocabulary, and science reasoning: that's about it. Really, I think some people go to great lengths for nothing when it comes to these exams. Extra studying and ACT/SAT "prep" courses aren't worth the time, agony, or cost, in my opinion. Yes, the college admissions folks and scholarship chaps will look at your SAT and/or ACT scores (depending on where you live, of course; around here in Illinois the ACT seems to be the standard), but only God knows how much emphasis they truly place on those numbers. So many other factors go into admissions and awards: your grades, extracurriculars, essays, etc. And while I cannot, with any legitimate authority, tell you that a mediocre score won't ruin your life ( http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif ) a high score--heck, nothing (short of lavish bribery, perhaps? I'm thinking heavenly pies and triple-fudge brownies)--will guarantee a durn thing. Were I one to toot me own horn, I'd allow you a gander at my 36/1550, but since I am, y'know, modest as a saint... ehem... ;p Look, ma, this big black strip screams "eathighlight me!" Ah, vanity.

So, anyway, what I'm trying to say is this: get plenty of rest the night before, eat a decent breakfast, and just do eet. I don't know about you, but unnecessary agonizing just makes me cloudy-brained.
Good luck! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jive18
Mar 23, 2006, 10:51 AM
On 2006-03-22 20:25, InfinityXXX wrote:
Heh,Heh I'm taking mines april (16th or 6th, I need to look at my paper). I need to get my ass up and study too.

I think a good time to study, for you would be...now. It doesn't hurt to study? But I kind of believe that I can do ok(not the best I could do) w/o studying as long as I just eat before I take it and pace myself but I'm gonna study for it.(someday)

I got the ACT for dummies book so I hope it helps me out. Good Luck on your ACT Jive.

I bought the Princeton Review ACT Book from Barnes and Noble like 2 months ago. I wish you luck as well Infinity.

Thanks for all the tips everybody. It's hard for me to not stress about it, but I'll hold off studying until the end of spring break I think. Again, thanks.

Sharkyland
Mar 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
I took the ACT long, long time ago. ACT isn't really a majority requirement needed by some school. if you do get a high score, then you can put it in your application. I didn't study for it, neither did I do for the SATs, but mostly for the SATs, I just studied Vocab from some tutor and my Latin class did help.

But don't try to be like me and answer all the questions, take your time, get the ones you know is correct and leave out the difficult questions.

Link00seven
Mar 23, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'm glad to see this topic, since I am taking mine on April 8th. I never study and usually do well, so i'm not too worried. However, all tips are appriciated.

InfinityXXX
Mar 23, 2006, 03:37 PM
On 2006-03-23 09:08, Sharkyland wrote:

But don't try to be like me and answer all the questions, take your time, get the ones you know is correct and leave out the difficult questions.

Yeah, this is the strategy I'm gonna use. I'll also be sleeping very early the night before I take mine.

I'm in this program called the RSU talent search(I've been in it for about 3 years and they prepare you for the ACT and college) and they were saying something about not eating a heavy breakfast and to avoid a lot of caffine and sugars in your breakfast before the test.(sugar crash?)I didn't get the details why, I was halfsleep.

Edit:Oh yeah, they also said bring a coat with you.lol Most places that you take the ACT at are cold.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2006-03-23 12:38 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Mar 23, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'm somewhat of those paranoid people who answers all the questions. I really don't know how it formated, but there are like 4 sections or something.

- Vocab
- Comprehension
- Mathematics
- Biology/Chemistry

The only thing I hated about the ACT is that each section is way too damn long like what... 75min each or something like that?

InfinityXXX
Mar 23, 2006, 04:05 PM
75 minutes....DA-YUUUM!(damn) Good lord, that talent search didn't say nothing about it being that long. *sigh* The only areas I might need to brush up on is Science(I never took chemistry and I barely remember biology) and I might need to look at some math formulas.

Sharkyland
Mar 23, 2006, 06:36 PM
This was like '95. So I dunno if they changed it. I was the year before they put that silly essay writing on the SAT.