PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Skorpius
Mar 24, 2006, 09:33 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9705428694930191&q=hourglass

I didn't see a topic on this, so here it is.

Cel SHading ftl. Oh well.

Rageous
Mar 24, 2006, 09:41 PM
On 2006-03-24 18:33, Skorpius wrote:

Cel SHading ftw

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 24, 2006, 10:19 PM
I think the cell shading is fine for the DS. Portable systems can't be the powerhouse that the GameCube is, and cell shading will allow for higher polygon counts. So long as Twilight Princess comes out as beautifully as what we've seen, I'm fine with this DS title being cell shaded.

Hrigg
Mar 24, 2006, 10:29 PM
I need a DS. T_T

Skorpius
Mar 24, 2006, 10:31 PM
But the DS can handle N64 ports. The cel style graphics were not popular at all, such negative feed back should have alerted Nintendo that, hey, maybe it was a bad idea!

No, they turn Link into a giant bobblehead again, way to go.

Firocket1690
Mar 24, 2006, 10:39 PM
On 2006-03-24 19:31, Skorpius wrote:
But the DS can handle N64 ports. The cel style graphics were not popular at all, such negative feed back should have alerted Nintendo that, hey, maybe it was a bad idea!
Says who? Everybody makes that assumption based on the results of Super Mario 64 DS. That was a completly different game, almost entirely coded from scratch. Graphically, it looks like a port, but it's been toned down significantly from the original N64 version.

Saraphim
Mar 24, 2006, 11:03 PM
On 2006-03-24 19:31, Skorpius wrote:

No, they turn Link into a giant bobblehead again, way to go.

True, sales and reviews will be better with a more realistic style, but then again when has Nintendo ever done what was expected. They always go thier own way, seemingly indifferent to what people think.

Think about it, They were the last home console manufacturer to embrace the disk format, they still could care less about online games (though that will change with the Revolution's release), and their cash cow (Pokemon) hasn't really changed in years. They just keep rereleasing it with tweaks and extra pokemon.

I also find it slightly ironic that PSO is the only online game for NGC, considering that it was a revolutionary title for the DC.

Oh well, just my two cents (and then some http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

Skorpius
Mar 24, 2006, 11:11 PM
Eh, fuck it.

Thanks, Skorp, for giving the link.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2006-03-24 20:13 ]</font>

EJ
Mar 24, 2006, 11:19 PM
It also on personal taste, I enoyed Wind walker but found it a way easier than the other zelda games in term of challenge and puzzles.

Also to point of another post why should nintendo make a realistic link on the DS?

It shouldn't really matter on graphic as long as it the same zelda we know and love and still have the challenge it always offer.

Plus Nintendo is the only company that hasn't lost much money compare to the other two. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Maridia
Mar 24, 2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the link, Skorp.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maridia on 2006-03-24 20:54 ]</font>

navci
Mar 24, 2006, 11:27 PM
Bro showed me the video last night. We were actually quite excited. It looks like it would be quite fun and ya know, we both really liked the WW style and play. *shrugg*

I don't care if it compares to the previous games in difficulty and complexity. I play games to have fun. So as long as I do that, that is enough for me! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Saiffy
Mar 25, 2006, 12:22 AM
On 2006-03-24 20:27, navci wrote:
Bro showed me the video last night. We were actually quite excited. It looks like it would be quite fun and ya know, we both really liked the WW style and play. *shrugg*

Yeah, I dunno what the huge deal with cel shading is. I loved it personally. I'll probably pick this up whenever I get a DS.

watashiwa
Mar 25, 2006, 12:29 AM
Wow, that video looked fun.

This is probably the first Zelda game I've actually felt like wanting to play since Link to the Past! (Never touched or wanted to touch any of the newer titles..)

Zelutos
Mar 25, 2006, 01:02 AM
Saw this a few days ago, and was tempted to make a topic....buuuutt....i didn't. I'll be buying the game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Has anyone heard anything about the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game for the DS?

Eihwaz
Mar 25, 2006, 01:06 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Another new DS game that I need to buy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Cel shading doesn't bother me, but I'd still like to see new art styles, besides the Windwaker look. Personally, I'd love to see a Zelda game with realistic proportions and cel shading, something along the lines of Jet Set Radio Future.

Hopefully this Phantom Hourglass will do everything WW did right, but also correct a few of it's failings. Namely, the incredibly easy difficulty level, too much sailing, and Triforce map hunting. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

FIDELCASTRO
Mar 25, 2006, 01:23 AM
i dont like cel shading because it takes away from what makes the Zelda series such a masterpiece...it's like a good book. it's serious, with some comic relief now and then.

with cel shading, its more of a joke. everything seems too cartoony and not serious.

but that doesnt stop me from wanting it. its still a Zelda game. as long as its harder than Windwaker. it didnt even take a whole summer to beat that game.

it also kinda sucks that they're sticking with the sailing thing. that takes WAY to long for my taste.

now i just a DS

PJ
Mar 25, 2006, 07:58 AM
They used the same style Link because it's the same character Link from Wind Waker (You can make the assumption since the whole world seems covered by water http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif). If I didn't like the graphical style, then that alone would probably have made the Phantom Hourglass ok.

In fact, last I heard, the only negative feedback for the graphical style came before the game came out. Then it became positive after the game was released.

Now all that I'll need is a port of Majora's Mask and the DS will be perfect http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Mmmm money

Alisha
Mar 25, 2006, 06:49 PM
it looks interesting but the touchpad is completely un needed

PJ
Mar 25, 2006, 07:03 PM
On 2006-03-25 15:49, Alisha wrote:
it looks interesting but the touchpad is completely un needed

Just like all the other DS games?

That's why it's called, "Innovation." http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Forever Zero
Mar 25, 2006, 08:12 PM
I'm not a fan of cel shadded graphics but the game looks fun. I'll buy it because I buy all the Zelda games. XD

DizzyDi
Mar 25, 2006, 09:37 PM
I don't see why people are STILL against cel-shading, with all these great games that utilize it. DQ8, the upcoming Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud 2, Wink Waker, Jet Set Radio and its sequel, and thats just off the top of my head. Anyways..Wind Waker shoulda proved that cel-shading is fhkn beautiful and it works perfect in the Zelda world. Miyamoto says that he made the Wind Waker like it was cause he always envisioned the Zelda world to look like that. I'm not even a huge fan of the Zelda series but I really did enjoy the Wind Waker. Its the first game in the since The Orcarina of Time series that gave me that sense of ADVENTURE that all the other games tried to instill in you.

Outrider
Mar 25, 2006, 10:58 PM
On 2006-03-25 18:37, DizzyDi wrote:
I don't see why people are STILL against cel-shading

People whine, that's why.

God forbid Nintendo do something artistically awesome. Some people are so concerned about their image that they're afraid to play Wind Waker because it's a cartoon starring a kid. Get over yourselves. Wind Waker is easily one of the best looking games from this generation, hands down. No other game has come out that I've seen that looks as seamless and self-contained. Every single object in that game looked like it fit. There wasn't any "Oh, I understand that's supposed to be a tree, but they couldn't supply enough polygons to make it look realistic even though the people look real." It was using style to cover up the system's inability to do the impossible, and it worked quite well.

Phantom Hourglass looks like it's going to be great fun. Using the stylus to create a path for your boomerang is genius, and I can't belive nobody thought of it when they announced a Zelda DS. Now, as long as they still allow the boomerang to be used as a quick projectile weapon with a simple tap of a button, this will be perfect.

Also, as silly as it is, the whole ability to add notes to your map is actually pretty cool. It's not needed, but I can definitely see it being nice to keep track of things. Hopefully some of the RPGs that come out later on the DS are going to copy this function, because the really in depth ones desperately need some sort of note-keeping ability.

What I'm looking forward to is hearing about the multiplayer capabilities of the game. According to IGN, a while back it was confirmed that the DS Zelda would have Four Swords-esque gameplay. I figure there's just going to be a Four Swords game stuck on the cartridge as well. Seeing as I've never gotten to play that style of games, I'm really happy that I could hopefully get a chance to with Phantom Hourglass.

Also - since when were their Ocarina of Time-like fairies in Wind Waker? Quite interesting, if you ask me.

EDIT: I'm also wondering in what way Wind Waker was a financial failure. It was the 5th highest selling game of 2003 in the US and in the 11th spot in the fiscal year of April 1st 2002 to March 31 2003 in Japan. Those aren't really numbers to scoff at.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2006-03-25 20:09 ]</font>

DonRoyale
Mar 25, 2006, 11:36 PM
On 2006-03-24 19:29, Hrigg wrote:
I need a DS. T_T

Well, only 3 more months until my birthday! XD

Skett
Mar 26, 2006, 01:04 AM
I've never quite been a fan of "Celda." I mean, I certainly respect Nintendo's decision to go with such a change compared to the rest of the series and it looks really artistic, but I enjoy realistic Zelda more.

Than said, this is still Zelda and I'm still going to buy it. The whole leading Link around though the stylus is a little weird, but I have a feeling that the D-Pad will also be used for the purpose. Similar to how Animal Crossing Wild World allows character movement by both D-Pad and touch screen.

Although it hasn't been discussed, I'm hoping Nintendo really surprises us and includes a online version of Four Swords. That would really be a huge deal.

fumatanera
Mar 26, 2006, 12:43 PM
On 2006-03-25 18:37, DizzyDi wrote:
I don't see why people are STILL against cel-shading, with all these great games that utilize it. DQ8, the upcoming Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud 2, Wink Waker, Jet Set Radio and its sequel, and thats just off the top of my head. Anyways..Wind Waker shoulda proved that cel-shading is fhkn beautiful and it works perfect in the Zelda world. Miyamoto says that he made the Wind Waker like it was cause he always envisioned the Zelda world to look like that. I'm not even a huge fan of the Zelda series but I really did enjoy the Wind Waker. Its the first game in the since The Orcarina of Time series that gave me that sense of ADVENTURE that all the other games tried to instill in you.

agreed, cel-shading is awesome. some games don't do it nearly as well as others (DQ8 is the best ive seen so far). i'm just waiting for the day they can make games look like your actually playing an anime