PDA

View Full Version : 'Sharona' line art. Comment please. (colored)

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
Well this took me awhile to finish. It was about 1-2 hours to draw (i didn't draw it in one session) and near an hour to ink. I worked harder on clothing folds and varying my line thickness (which i have trouble with.)

Please comment on this and tell me what is wrong with it. I will also color it when i get the time.

I colored it.. i am not that pleased with the color but i need more practice with paintshop. The lines got messed up when i converted the file to bmp so now its all ridgy.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sgtshligger/Sharonalineart.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sgtshligger/Sharonacolorsmallfile.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SgtShligger on 2006-03-25 12:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SgtShligger on 2006-03-25 12:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SgtShligger on 2006-03-25 12:07 ]</font>

SabZero
Mar 25, 2006, 06:11 AM
Well, I find the inking technique itself interesting.

But the folds seem a little too random, they don't really convey how the fabric flows/is taught(tight).

Also, the proportions of the character are unusual - easiest rule to remember is that the crotch (not the waist) is vertically in the center. Here's a good resource http://drawinglab.evansville.edu/

CupOfCoffee
Mar 25, 2006, 11:11 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure the face really fits with the rest of the drawing. The way most of it is drawn seems to be fairly unique in style, but then the face is a clearly animeish. Not that the far east isn't good at drawing faces, but it really looks here as if you're trying too hard to emulate it. I say just step back, look at how people's faces look, and develop your own style. It'll flow a lot better with the rest that way.

Mistique
Mar 25, 2006, 11:47 AM
her head looks a li'l small, but i do that alot too...

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 25, 2006, 03:04 PM
The head...... i learned how to draw with anime... develope my own style.......
That's hard... I am not sure how I would draw eyes... or heads. I guess i will think of a way.

The folds are a bit random but i took some out and i colored it... i am not satisfied with the color though...

ladyjaderiver
Mar 25, 2006, 11:01 PM
Okay, you asked me for an honest critique. I'm going to do my best. >.<;; Just to make it easy, I'm going to just go down the picture and critique as I go.

You need to work on the flow of hair. Her looks very stiff, and too chunky. The way it flows around her face looks very odd.

Her face looks too... generic anime, I guess. A lot of people have problems with breaking off from this and creating their own way of drawing faces. It's something that comes with practice. The ears are positioned too high on the head, and are proportionally too small. Unless she's some sort of elf-type character I'm not familiar with, her ears should still sprout from where they do on normal people. Her neck looks squashed to me.

It's nice that you tried to include the wrinkles on her outfit, but it doesn't look like you actually understand how wrinkles on clothes work. Granted, it takes lots of practice to get good at automatically knowing where wrinkles would appear and how deep they would be. Just find a lot of good references. I still maintain that the best way to learn where the wrinkles in a garment would go is by making the garment, but most people wouldn't bother with that. -_- I've even been laughed at for making that suggestion in one of my classes.

Her hips and arms look disproportionate. Her arms are too short and too thin (remember - the elbow is level with the waist on most people), and her hips look too wide. Also, hands may not be your forte, but you should not try to hide them like that... Her pose looks almost unnatural and makes it pretty obvious that you want to avoid drawing the hands.

My only suggestions on your colouring? Use a smaller brush, and make use of the smudge tool. Also, pay more attention to shadows and highlights on actual clothes. Do you really see that much of a difference between the actual colours of a shirt and what it looks like in shadow? It looks like you might be using dodge/burn for your shadows and highlights. I don't know if you are or not, but if you are, stop doing it. Find lighter and darker versions of your base colour, and set them as swatches so you can use them to draw in the shadows and highlights. Dodge/burn is too inconsistent, and it's fairly obvious in digital paintings. It's fine in photos, but not for painting/colouring.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 26, 2006, 01:59 AM
I used lighten/darken for my picture. i have trouble with a lot of proportion things. I have tried/used 20 different tutorials on this subject.... so I get a strange style that (like many other things) needs work.

The anime... I must figure out a way to draw faces with my own style. The eyes will give me the most trouble... I thought I drew eyes with a different style but since anime IS a style that means I have to draw them differently? (This is a question not an argument.)

The clothing folds... I have trouble getting a mental image of clothing I don't wear/own/desire. I was putting all of my brain into how the cloth would fold. I just need to look at clothing and work on drawing it more.

All of my problems can be solved with practice. The hair was annoying me because I drew it wrong on the paper sketch. The proportions need more work--- so I must check out girls more thoroughly (a fine excuse indeed,) but seriously.

This drawing was more practice on folds because I need to think of a specific pose for the character before I start. I need to get anatomy books and the like.... thanks for the honest review.