PDA

View Full Version : SuSE, anyone?

WashuSaotome
Mar 28, 2006, 07:31 AM
Hi. I'd like to know if any of you are currently running SuSE Linux (or any other KDE interfaced Linux), and the wonderful pros and cons about such a operating system. I'm having trouble finding the cons. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

After doing some research, I think that I'd really like to mess around with SuSE or Linux in general... Heck, maybe I'll just fully migrate to the thing.

Any warnings and info is needed and loved. Thanks!

Ryna
Mar 28, 2006, 11:10 AM
I mostly use Linux at a commandline, so I don't have a preference for desktop environments. KDE and Gnome have worked well for me. Gnome tries to make life simpler for the user, while KDE gives the user more power over what they want. You'll generally see Gnome used on Red Hat/Fedora Core distributions.

The biggest problem you are likely to encounter with Linux is driver support for hardware. Sometimes it can be impossible to get a wireless device on a laptop working. Also, depending on what you use your PC for, you won't be able to use/play certain applications/games. You can try to get things working under Wine, but that doesn't always work.

VioletSkye
Mar 28, 2006, 01:51 PM
The only Linux flavor I've used for any significant amount of time is Ubuntu and it ran amazingly well. Instead of moving to Linux fully (unless you have more than one machine) I would recommend a dual boot system so that you still have access to Windows.